The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Thanks Coral.

What a busy thread this has been. When I started the quiz on 9 October my intention was to distract us a little, have fun reminiscing about past travels and I wanted to cheer us up during river cruise lacking winter months. Little could I know how much fun we would all have and how popular this thread would be. So, again I thank you all for participating.

Little could I know also that sadly we would still be in the same position - and worse - nearly six months later. Still no river cruises on a large scale anywhere, hardly any at all that I have heard of. Egyptians on the Nile perhaps? Those few Swiss in Basel having a round trip...

We have travelled the whole world of river cruising in photos and participation has gone down a bit lately, we regulars do not want to be a "club of ten"! Join us again if you have not been around for a while and come on new readers, show us where you have been on a river cruise on river or canal. You think you have not been to such a place? You may be surprised. And we have actually not travelled in photos to all rivers and canals yet!

Still waiting for the Loire, the Kiel Canal, the Göta Canal, the Oder, the Guadalquivir to appear in photos.

Get the atlas out and check, have fun stumping the regular guessers!

☺️

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Still waiting for the Loire, the Kiel Canal, the Göta Canal, the Oder, the Guadalquivir to appear in photos.

I tried the Columbia River - it lasted all of 2 seconds. I think the previous Columbia River went quickly also.

Thanks for starting the quiz! It has saved some sanity of mine the past few months.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Coral said:

I tried the Columbia River - it lasted all of 2 seconds. I think the previous Columbia River went quickly also.

Yes, I posted Multnomah Falls which didn't last long either. 

• Like 1

It is fascinating to learn that so often we go to the same places - that funny sculpture in Bratislava for example. But we often also differ in our experiences depending on where we live and where we can easily get to. @vada_9  shows us places that for her are not too far away in global terms but for me they are far-flung exotic lands. The Columbia River to you in the US is so familiar but I still have problems placing it on a map. A typical type of architecture and stone gives me an advantage guessing places that are along the Rhine. And I have the feeling that @Renmar would recognize 90 percent of all photos taken along a canal in the Netherlands.

Us travellers have assuringly a lot in common but we differ in experience and home country so much as to keep coming up with something fun new to learn for everyone.

Lovely. 

Talking of lovely: anybody want to post some cute lambs or Easter decorations for us to guess after we have helped Canal archive?

notamermaid

Caja Rural is a Spanish bank so probably the Guadilquivir.

Whether Seville, Granada, Cordoba, or somewhere else entirely? There are too many Caja Rural branches in each of those cities to check each one for a Farmacia nearby, and I can't read the name of the pharmacy well enough to search for it...

That's it!

Thanks for solving it. Now we can go out hiking, as was our original plan this morning before I got sidetracked searching for this...

It's called "Monumento a las turroneras de La Alberca" which Google translate says means a monument to the nougat of La Alberca. Apparently that's a nougat maker with the traditional tools with which they split the product.

Here's a link (in Spanish) if anyone wants to have a go at translating it.

https://www.tribunasalamanca.com/noticias/una-estatua-de-bronce-rinde-homenaje-a-la-centenaria-tradicion-de-las-turroneras-de-la-alberca/

Thanks all, all I could remember was where I took the photo and the nougat connection there are various places in Spain that make superb nougat. As with all Spanish plaza a wonderful place to people watch.These sculptors are spread around the plaza. So over to Jalbny. Here is the first Peacock of spring.

image.thumb.jpeg.37313280220916b708078aad034df5f3.jpeg

Isn’t he / she beautiful. CA

• Like 1

No problem @Canal archive  - if I had read the full text provided with your photo I might have surmised that you were actually submitting a wildcard. Alas, I am an expert at reading only a few sentences rather than the full text. 🤭

I had no idea what the statue portrayed - it was JP who provided that info. 

Edited by dogs4fun