The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

45 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Madurodam, The Hague.

Yes you are correct. Your turn.

Interesting place. 

Madurodam is a Dutch miniature city in The Hague on a scale of 1 to 25, opened on July 2, 1952 at George Maduroplein. This tourist theme park attracts approximately 600,000 paying visitors every year. The park covers a total area of 62,630 m². The city itself measures 17,630 m². The miniature city has often served as inspiration for the construction of various theme parks worldwide such as Legoland Billund and the Disneyland Park in Anaheim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madurodam

Theo

No, not that I know of.  

Edited comments on original post, as I can't find the name of the building, I thought it was part of one, but I see it is "beside" it.

Edited by Daisi

Cannot decide if this is Classicist or neo-Baroque something or other. The boys or angels with cornucopias are a common motif as well. Don't know, but a building to do with arts or music? In Germany, seeing that France is ruled out?

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Cannot decide if this is Classicist or neo-Baroque something or other. The boys or angels with cornucopias are a common motif as well. Don't know, but a building to do with arts or music? In Germany, seeing that France is ruled out?

notamermaid

How do you know they are "Boys". I looked very closely 😁 but can not determine the gender.  

Theo

2 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Why does it look as if the original heads have been replaced with these grumpy looking ones?

The head on the left looks like an old man.  Can't tell if the head on the right is a man or a woman.  But neither fits the body.  There must be a story behind it – and I'm sure that one of the Sherlock Holmeses on this thread will find it.  The game is afoot!

3 hours ago, Renmar said:

How do you know they are "Boys". I looked very closely 😁 but can not determine the gender.  

Theo

:classic_biggrin: Now that you say it: I cannot tell either, I think I just assumed they are the standard putti sculptures.

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

They look like pretty unhappy angels!

I agree. I take off a point from the sculptor's achievement there. I mean, they are holding symbols of fertility of nature and abundance and wealth. They should be a bit happier about it.

From the size of the crescent shape I would judge that this is the left panel of a grand entrance to a building. No idea where.

notamermaid