The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

17 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

For the future: Do we include the Thames? I am not sure. Check and send votes please!

The river needs at least three yes-es to enter the quiz!

Thank you.

I say yes. I would also include areas where ferries can go.

2 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

I would vote no on the Thames.  As the original intent (correct me if I am wrong) was to focus on locations reachable by river cruises (that is the topic of this forum after all), I would prefer for us to focus on that.  Otherwise, where do you draw the line?

We are able to include cities which are not on rivers but excursions where people can go to on river cruises. I went to Munich on my river cruise as an excursion - should I be able to do that? Other lines do not go to Munich. It is just too hard to draw a line.

I’m sure they are not running at the moment but there are several hotel boats that use our little River Thames, yes I admit we don’t have huge rivers, basically we don’t have the room. The hotel boats are either wide beam boats like the ‘English Rose’ or a pair of narrow boats there used to be at least two pairs working the route. The narrow pairs would use the Thames ply through London, Regents Park, Little Venice, Grand Union etc., the Oxford canal and the Kennet & Avon Canal along the River Avon ( we have loads of those) to Bristol. The wide beam would ply the Thames and the K & A to Bristol. Hope this helps to make it just about legal(ish) CA

Hampton Court I should have realised the Royal palace on the Thames apart from the Tower. CA

Edited by Canal archive

I think we have missed to draw a line earlier. We have tolerated open sea pictures of the Atlantic Ocean near Lisbon with the closest river cruise port some 200 km away. But probably an excursion and/or start/end of a river cruise package. So is London in the programme of some companies. Following that logic plus the assumption that we will have to continue here for a while, leads me to an "aye" to to Thames. Though I wasted some time today by ruling out England and searching on the continent :-),

13 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Yes you are correct. This picture was taken by myself from inside the courtyard of Hampton Court Palace. These gates are only used when Royalty guests arrive(d) by way of the Thames river (so we have been told during our tour).

Your turn

@notamermaidI posted this picture because I thought it was within the loosely enforced 😉rules as posted in the first post.

You can post any photo of a place on a river or cnanal navigable by river cruise ships anywhere in the world. I would include in that the few inland bodies of water that are suitable.

Theo

Yes, that is what I said indeed. At the time I did not think of all rivers and have also learnt as we went along. I was thinking of the Jisselmeer and the Stettin area and the Kiel canal and some other unusual places. As per definition of river cruise ship I was thinking of 64m and above. As per definition navigable means one could sail the Thames, but the ships right now are smaller I think.

Borderline still, but I am tempted to give in.

Any more votes?

Ferries I would prefer to exclude as they are on salt water, or do not sail on fresh water overnight. River cruise means staying overnight on a ship in jargon, i.e. have cabins like hotel rooms and travel to take you along for leisure rather than to get from A to B as is normally the purpose of a ferry.

If you have taken an excursion from a river cruise or a have done a typical post-stay like near Basel or Munich or places like Colmar or Cesky Krumlov, that is fine. They are all recognizable by our combined expertise. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Well you'll all know that I'm a lawyer (and a Jesuit sympathizer) now as this is quite casuistic, but there it is.  Noble Caledonia offers a good selection of river cruises in which they charter a whole ship for their British custom.  These trips start in London with a Eurostar link to the ship in Amsterdam.  So that should squeeze Hampton Court into @notamermaid's rules!

E.g.: https://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/tour/2241/spring-flowers-&-the-golden-age-of-dutch-art/itinerary/?search_url_id=9

I have been on a river cruise on the Thames. 5 nights out of Mapledurham. We cruised round trip between Wallingford and Henly. The boat was the African Queen, a converted barge and she had 11 cabins. There is another barge which also ends up in Henly from the other direction. Here is a photo of her. We booked through an English River Cruise company -which was the only way to book at the time.

IMG_6614.JPG

5 minutes ago, vada_9 said:

I have been on a river cruise on the Thames. 5 nights out of Mapledurham. We cruised round trip between Wallingford and Henly. The boat was the African Queen, a converted barge and she had 11 cabins. There is another barge which also ends up in Henly from the other direction. Here is a photo of her. We booked through an English River Cruise company -which was the only way to book at the time.

IMG_6614.JPG

The African Queen!  Did you have to push it through the reeds and leeches??? :classic_ohmy:

"We have tolerated open sea pictures of the Atlantic Ocean near Lisbon with the closest river cruise port some 200 km away."

For some reason I can't figure out how to quote here.  If that was directed at me, we've done a few Lisbon centered locations, with the rationalization that Lisbon is a frequent inclusion in the total Douro river cruise package.  Cabo da Roca is 39 km from Lisbon, an easy bus ride, and a frequent tourist stop.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@ljandgb, click on the word "Quote", not the "+" symbol.  Quote is for one quote, the + is for a multi-quote.  Mind you, it also may depend on how you access the forum.

Sorry, just trying to help if I am saying something you already know.

Well, that was easy!    Thanks. 🙂

• Like 1

Jazzbeau your not wrong, never seen leeches but I believe there are some but loads of reeds. 

I’d be completely lost with pictures from Russian, Asian or American rivers in fact anywhere but Europe even then I’m a bit of a failure but I love seeing  all the pictures and I can then dream of where to go when we can. CA

Okay:

river - yes

large canal - yes

inland body of water (lake) - yes

popular pre-cruise close to river - yes

popular post-cruise close to river - yes

close to river is kind of up to two hours one way maximum

river cruise meaning overnight stay on the ship

river cruise ship meaning notable size that is more than a barge - I would reduce this to around 45m length

2 hours ago, vada_9 said:

I have been on a river cruise on the Thames. 5 nights out of Mapledurham.

Thanks for the photo. Lovely boat. This still leaves the African Queen shorter than a ship. But the company calls it a river cruise.

The Thames is navigable for a very long stretch and at least the last lock before London is big enough for a river cruise ship. You could do a proper three night river cruise on the Thames on a small river cruise ship. The Thames in London is an international waterway.

You have indicated that a few people are running out of photos...

But most importantly: following my request for opinions the Thames has got enough yes votes!

So the river is eligible for the quiz.

Now, I believe we are on the photo by QueenofEverything in post #2131.

Thanks everyone.:classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to make it clearer: above I mean river suitable for river cruise ships and canal suitable for river cruise ships and that includes their excursions nearby. Too late to edit the above. There are quite a few rivers...

Would you believe that we have had very few photos from the Moselle, hardly any from the Neckar, none from the Loire I believe and definitely none from the Guadalquivir. And there is the Oder and the Po...

Now everyone get their atlases out and see if you have been on a land trip to those river areas. :classic_biggrin:

If you have recently joined: you can post a photo from a land trip of course as long as it follows the river cruise theme as posted above.

Now, I have no idea where that photo of QueenofEverything could be but that roof is quite intriguing. Hmmm, Southern Europe?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

That picture is in Mosingshof (AKA St. Michael), Austria - a church in the Wachau Valley along the Danube, with seven animal figures atop the peak of its lower roof. I thought that I remembered our CD saying that they were rabbits but they don't really look like rabbits. The church is called Wehrkirche St. Michael.

We passed by on our 2016 Danube cruise, in a driving rainstorm! I snapped a few pictures before getting drenched, and didn't realize what I'd photographed until I got home and reviewed them a few weeks later. Your picture is a much better close-up than the ones I have. And well-cropped, so if you don't know it from the statues you have no chance!

(PS - sorry for breaking the rules and posting the Bamberg pictures out of turn)

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

So...Portugal had various animals at the roof corners, different animals (or figures) symbolizing different blessings or protections.  Asian countries generally use dragons, and use the corners and roof leading up to it.  I found a mention of clay bulls used in the Andes on the top of the roof, so maybe somewhere near the Amazon??

I was typing as jpalbny posted.  His makes more sense!

Edited by ljandgb