Ship movements thread

FreestyleNovice

48 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I see that the JADE has been moored in Naples for some time now - we are booked on it - Transatlantic from NEW YORK - departing in April 2021 - the ASSUMPTION is that they will NOT bring the Jade back across the ocean - just to go on a Transatlantic ???

Any comments ? - I guess we will just wait and see - have up to 15 days prior to sailing before we cancel - assume that NCL will cancel before that ????

I don't think you will see any cruising out of NY for quite a while, it has to be proven safe in other ports (just based on NYC and how open it is compared to say Florida and Texas).

8 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I see that the JADE has been moored in Naples for some time now - we are booked on it - Transatlantic from NEW YORK - departing in April 2021 - the ASSUMPTION is that they will NOT bring the Jade back across the ocean - just to go on a Transatlantic ???

Any comments ? - I guess we will just wait and see - have up to 15 days prior to sailing before we cancel - assume that NCL will cancel before that ????

I don't see this will happen. Jade will probably restart the cruises in Europe directly in early summer (or even later, who knows...)

Also CDC doesn't allow cruises longer than 7 nights to depart from US ports.

It is just a matter of time for NCL to cancel it. NCL will definitely make the announcement more than 15 days prior to sailing. You will know the answer in March by the latest, but hopefully earlier.

On 12/21/2020 at 11:44 AM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I'm supposed to be on the repositioning cruise from Tampa to New York right before the transatlantic and have begun mentally preparing myself that it's not going to happen. It makes me sad because the Jade is my favorite ship and she won't be back to the US for at least several years. 

Norwegian Bliss; at anchor, Portland, UK (English Channel)
Norwegian Breakaway; moored, Marseille, FR (Med)
Norwegian Dawn; moored, Catania, IT (Med)
Norwegian Encore; moored, Southampton, UK (English Channel)
Norwegian Epic; still in dry dock or moored?, Marseille, FR (Med)
Norwegian Escape; still moored, Civitavecchia, IT (Med) Loaded up with crew, waiting for...?
Norwegian Gem; left Charleston, US, en route to Miami with ETA: 2021-01-05 09:00 LT (UTC -5)
Norwegian Getaway; moored, Marseille, FR (Med)
Norwegian Jade; moored, Naples, IT (Med)
Norwegian Jewel; at anchor, Long Beach anchor area Los Angeles, USA
Norwegian Joy; left Durban, South Africa, en route to Aruba with ETA: 2021-01-06 07:00 LT (UTC -4)

Norwegian Pearl; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba, together with Norwegian Sun
Norwegian Sky; moored, Willemstad, Curacao
Norwegian Spirit; moored, Bar, Montenegro (Adriatic Sea)
Norwegian Star; moored, Toulon (next to Marseille), FR (Med)
Norwegian Sun; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba
Pride of America: moored, Honolulu, Hawaii

To me it seems NCL took a long shot by transiting the Escape through the pricey Suez channel, if there was any chance for a restart they would have had a good vantage point. Of course it's hard to predict such things with weeks of travel and pickups to be made.. Or there simply was no spot across the ocean to dock Escape or freedom of travel for the crew? 

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

To me it seems NCL took a long shot by transiting the Escape through the pricey Suez channel, if there was any chance for a restart they would have had a good vantage point. Of course it's hard to predict such things with weeks of travel and pickups to be made.. Or there simply was no spot across the ocean to dock Escape or freedom of travel for the crew? 

I think they have the Escape exactly where they want her.  She was supposed to head back to Europe in April, there is no reason to bring her here just to turn around and go back.  She will stay put until they get ready to resume....IN EUROPE.  I think the US wont start until May at the earliest now (really i am betting June as the real month).  And I am very sad to be admitting this.   😞

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:32 AM, boeckli said:

Norwegian Joy has arrived in Oranjestad, Aruba

Now the Sun is outside Aruba circling waiting to return to Aruba ... guess either the Joy or Pearl will soon leave Aruba to give berth to Sun. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Now the Sun is outside Aruba circling waiting to return to Aruba ... guess either the Joy or Pearl will soon leave Aruba to give berth to Sun. 

And Oceania Insignia is also going to Aruba. Guess some of the crew members on Joy will be transferred to Sun and Insignia.

Edited by Cruise Wonderland
  • Like 2

ESCAPE arrives Genoa today (possibly the first NCL ship to arrive her for many years?). Oceania NAUTICA is next to her, and Oceania SIRENA is waiting outside the port. I guess some crew members will be transferred to Oceania here?

JOY is in Aruba now, meeting SUN, PEARL and Oceania Insignia in the port. Similarly I believe some crew members on Joy will be transferred to other ships.

Escape.thumb.jpg.d9fb2de1e36941281641f50e2e480ce4.jpg

Joy.thumb.jpg.a1c90a2747762654009c7b621ae650dc.jpg

• Like 3

As reported by Crew Center, Escape goes to Genoa because she needs to enter wet dock. She had a minor collision in Civitavecchia a few days ago which caused minor damage at the hull (starboard side near the bow hull art).

http://crew-center.com/norwegian-escape-collides-dock-civitavecchia?fbclid=IwAR1IkDjfjdxjRv9n0xIvZDL9JDtPgclva8yY8TUjgZPdOXLLzUuBT7Z4XX8

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

As reported by Crew Center, Escape goes to Genoa because she needs to enter wet dock. She had a minor collision in Civitavecchia a few days ago which caused minor damage at the hull (starboard side near the bow hull art).

http://crew-center.com/norwegian-escape-collides-dock-civitavecchia

Aahh, I just made a new thread LOL. Did check for new threads but never thought of you posting it here!  :classic_laugh: All credit to you CW! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

First time to know about this word (I am not native English speaker), but seems it is more appropriate. Thank you!

No worries, no disrespect intended, and hopefully none taken.  Just passing on some nautical trivia. 😄

• Like 3

Me neither btw! Learning everyday.. :classic_smile:

Here's what Covid measures a crew member had to go through from Manilla up to changing ships in Aruba during these ship movements we all follow; 

“Hotel Quarantine ➡️Swabtest|4x ➡️Joining Ship ➡️Isolation➡️Swabtest ➡️Move Stateroom➡️Transfer to Ship➡️Swabtest 2X ➡️Isolation ➡️Move to Stateroom"

On 1/10/2021 at 11:37 AM, HuliHuli said:

Or more properly stated it was an "allision" with the pier during docking. 😀

On 1/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

First time to know about this word (I am not native English speaker), but seems it is more appropriate. Thank you!

The term "allision" is one that is almost entirely used in the maritime industry, so it's use is not widespread even among English speakers.  It is more appropriate, since the word "collision" has the prefix "co" meaning "jointly or together", so two objects would be hitting each other, while in an allision, where one object is moving and the other stationary, there is no joint movement, the pier has no option but to be hit, and does not hit the ship back.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here's an unconfirmed startup schedule. Can't say I believe it but here it goes, exactly as it was posted on a crew FB page:

Norwegian Encore
Date: May 2, 2021
Days: 7 Days
Year Built: 2019
Capacity: 4,200 guests
Itenerary: Alaska: Glacier Bay, Skagway & Juneau

Norwegian Bliss
Date: May 8, 2021
Year Built: 2018
Itenerary: Alaska: Dawes Glacier, Juneau & Ketchikan

Norwegian Joy
Date: May 02, 2021
Year Built: 2017
Itenerary: Bermuda Round-trip New York

Norwegian Escape
Date: May 28, 2021
Days: 1Day
Year Built: 2015
Itenerary: Baltic: Copenhagen to Berlin (Warnemünde)

Norwegian Getaway
Date: May 10, 2021
Days: 10 Days
Year Built: 2014
Capacity: 4,000 guests
Itenerary: Greek Isles & Italy
from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Norwegian Breakaway
Date: May 9, 2021
Days: 5 Day
Year Built: 2013
Capacity: 4,000 guests
Itenerary: Caribbean: Harvest Caye & Costa Maya

Norwegian Epic
Year Built: 2010
Itenerary: Western Mediterranean
from Barcelona, Spain

Norwegian Gem
Date May 07, 2021
Year Built: 2007
Capacity: 2,400 guests
Itenerary: Bermuda Round-trip Boston
from Boston, Massachusetts

Norwegian Jade
Date: May 07, 2021
Days: 9 Days
Year Built: 2006
Itenerary: British Isles: England, Ireland & France
from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Norwegian Pearl
Date: May 30, 2021
Days: 7Days
Year Built: 2006
Itenerary: Greek Isles: Santorini, Mykonos & Rhodes
from Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Norwegian Jewel
Date: May 10, 2021
Year Built: 2005
Itenerary: Alaska: Glacier Bay, Skagway & Juneau to Seward

Norwegian Dawn
Year Built: 2002
Capacity: 2,200 guests
Itenerary: Greek Isles
from Venice, Italy

Pride of America
Date: May 01, 2021
Dats: 7 Days
Year Built: 2005
Capacity: 2,000 guests
Itenerary: Hawaii: Inter-island
from Honolulu, Oahu

Norwegian Star
Date: May 14, 2021
Days 14 Days
Year Built: 2001
Capacity: 2,200 guests
Itenerary: British Isles: England, Ireland & Scotland
from London (Southampton), England

Norwegian Sun
Date: May 06, 2021
Days 5 Days
Year Built: 2001
Capacity: 2,002 guests
Itenerary: Alaska: Ketchikan & Victoria
from Seattle, Washington

Norwegian Spirit
Date : May 07, 2021
Days: 9 Days
Year Built: 1999
Itenerary: Greek Isles: Santorini, Athens & Croatia to Istanbul
from Venice, Italy

Norwegian Sky
Date: May 07, 2021
Days: 3 Days
Year Built: 1999
Itenerary: Bahamas: Great Stirrup Cay & Nassau
from Miami, Florida

• Haha 2

Thank you, the Alaska sailings would appear to be off in light of the Canadian government's decision not to allow sailings there until 2022. Darn! My wife and I were just last night talking about doing an Alaskan cruise. Curse you, COVID-19!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Okay, here's an unconfirmed startup schedule. Can't say I believe it but here it goes, exactly as it was posted on a crew FB page:

And was this posted before NCL started sending crew back home ?

Even if not, there's no way the early May US-based cruises are going to sail given NCL doesn't have a CDC- approved plan in place that would even permit the required test cruises, much less actual revenue sailings.

All that list reflects is what was up next after NCL cancelled all cruises through April. No doubt they'll be an announcement in the near future that cruises through May are cancelled.

Remember that NCL has been doing the cancellations month by month in order to hold on to its cash as long as possible.

• Like 7