Ship movements thread

FreestyleNovice

Just an opinion.  But those sailing dates are impossible.  Just 90 days from now?  Not in you wildest dreams.   We will not be even close to conquering  the Covid issue by then, vaccines will still be only partially accomplished, and the ships....needing the crews still,  have not begun to do their test cruises.   No way.   Its just NCL dangling the carrot for another month until they cancel again for another month.   My wishful thinking doesn't override the reality facts of our mess.  And on it will continue.    Wish it was otherwise.  

Under the CDC Framework, NCL needs to perform a test cruise, and apply for a conditional sailing certificate 60 days prior to the proposed first sailing, showing they have already met all the conditions required on board and in port.  Yet they are sending new crew home again.

I'm afraid this was someone's wish list from months ago.  

• Like 2

Again, if you want to think positive, focus on ships starting out in Europe everyone.  Ships trying to sail in the US are for sure not going.  The CDC just admitted they have not given any further guidance on the things they needed to follow up on for cruise companies to even know WHAT to change before asking to test sail.  It's not going to happen.  NCL should be concentrating on the EU and the UK about what can be done to get all those ships going ASAP, to get in some revenue, and to learn HOW to sail during these difficult times.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, njhorseman said:

And was this posted before NCL started sending crew back home ?

Even if not, there's no way the early May US-based cruises are going to sail given NCL doesn't have a CDC- approved plan in place that would even permit the required test cruises, much less actual revenue sailings.

All that list reflects is what was up next after NCL cancelled all cruises through April. No doubt they'll be an announcement in the near future that cruises through May are cancelled.

Remember that NCL has been doing the cancellations month by month in order to hold on to its cash as long as possible.

18 hours ago, oteixeira said:

I mean, the ships in Europe I can see sailing in May (some should go before, so NCL can start bringing in some money, the Med is open for business).

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

Just an opinion.  But those sailing dates are impossible.  Just 90 days from now?  Not in you wildest dreams.   We will not be even close to conquering  the Covid issue by then, vaccines will still be only partially accomplished, and the ships....needing the crews still,  have not begun to do their test cruises.   No way.   Its just NCL dangling the carrot for another month until they cancel again for another month.   My wishful thinking doesn't override the reality facts of our mess.  And on it will continue.    Wish it was otherwise.  

5 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Under the CDC Framework, NCL needs to perform a test cruise, and apply for a conditional sailing certificate 60 days prior to the proposed first sailing, showing they have already met all the conditions required on board and in port.  Yet they are sending new crew home again.

I'm afraid this was someone's wish list from months ago.  

The source; https://www.facebook.com/seamanlifeincruiseship, although I agree with your views this FB account has 12k followers. 

The best use of this list for now is to see if the ships start moving towards the mentioned ports in the (near) future, so let's all keep an eye out! :classic_cool:

• Like 2

With these new titbits I move this thread from page 4 to the first page ...

Bliss is now docked in Southampton - prolly for the first time in quite a long time. Encore is still docked in Southampton.

Spirit moved from Bar Montenegro to Brindisi Italy via Augusta, Sicily Italy earlier this week.

• Like 2

Star has sailed from Toulon and is heading to Genoa (where the Escape is).

Encore is now doing the inevitable - she has sailed from Southampton, heading to Gibraltar and presumably on to Asia. Joy is staying put in Aruba.

In other news - here in Bermuda, AA has moved the daily BDA-MIA flights to BDA-CTL (Charlotte, NC) for the time being ... but the MIA flights are expected to resume in June. MIA (Miami) is a major getaway for us locals - cruises (not happening), Caribbean (not 100% open to visitors/tourists), South America (no thanks). The BA (British Airways) flights BDA-LHR is now once weekly (from 5 weekly) due to the covid re-eruption and lockdowns in the UK, but it still brings the Pfizer vaccines to the island. Husband (65+) and son (essential worker) have already got theirs, but I'm in the next round sometime in early March.

• Like 6

From a Facebook page:

Norwegian Encore departed Southampton, enroute to Gibraltar for refueling. Norwegian Bliss transferred all her crew to Encore earlier this week. Encore will make a few calls in Europe to meet with other NCLH ships for crew transfers before continuing onto India, Indonesia and the Philippines.

• Like 3

"Norwegian Joy has already started ship-to-ship transfers of the non-essential crew onboard Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Pearl and Oceania Insignia, which are docked alongside in Oranjestad, Aruba. According to our source, the crew transfers will be completed on February 12, with the boarding of the crew from the Norwegian Gem. Once this is done they will set sail to Manila, Philippines on February 28. A total of 1053 crew members, 819 male and 234 female crew, will be sent back home."

Edited by FreestyleNovice
  • Like 1

Norwegian Bliss; moored, Portland, UK (English Channel)
Norwegian Breakaway; moored, Toulon/La Seyne-sur-Mer (next to Marseille), FR
Norwegian Dawn; out for a spin, back to Catania, IT
Norwegian Encore; returning crew members home, left Gibraltar, en route to Marseille, FR
Norwegian Epic; moored, Marseille, FR
Norwegian Escape; moored, Genua, IT
Norwegian Gem; moored, Miami, US
Norwegian Getaway; moored, Marseille, FR
Norwegian Jade; moored, Naples, IT
Norwegian Jewel; at anchor, Long Beach anchor area Los Angeles, US
Norwegian Joy; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba

Norwegian Pearl; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba
Norwegian Sky; moored, Willemstad, Curacao
Norwegian Spirit; moored, Brindisi, IT
Norwegian Star; moored, Genua, IT
Norwegian Sun; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba
Pride of America: at anchor, Honolulu anchorage, Hawaii, US

• Like 4

Encore arrived in Civitavecchia this morning from Marseille, and Escape is now heading there (ETA tomorrow morning) to join Encore after having left Genoa yesterday.

Earlier this week Epic left her berth at Marseille for a day or two while Encore borrowed the berth.

Joy is still staying put in Aruba.

In other news, I received email last Friday about my vaccine and went to get one two days ago! Felt nothing afterwards - no soreness, but I did feel drowsy in the evening and had a good night's sleep. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

In other news, I received email last Friday about my vaccine and went to get one two days ago! Felt nothing afterwards - no soreness, but I did feel drowsy in the evening and had a good night's sleep. 

Congrats! I keep seeing more & more reports of people getting their vaccine shots. This makes me optimistic that cruising will resume later this year (my guess is still 2nd half of 2021).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Congrats! I keep seeing more & more reports of people getting their vaccine shots. This makes me optimistic that cruising will resume later this year (my guess is still 2nd half of 2021).

Thanks! It's Pfizer BioNTech vaccine that Bermuda obtained from the UK. We feel that Bermuda has made a good choice ... no other vaccines (like Moderna) are not on the island. We did read that Pfizer (and Moderna) are working to make new vaccines/boosters to include the new variants ... looks like it's going to be yearly covid shots like yearly flu shots. We don't mind as we do travel a lot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Thanks! It's Pfizer BioNTech vaccine that Bermuda obtained from the UK. We feel that Bermuda has made a good choice ... no other vaccines (like Moderna) are not on the island. We did read that Pfizer (and Moderna) are working to make new vaccines/boosters to include the new variants ... looks like it's going to be yearly covid shots like yearly flu shots. We don't mind as we do travel a lot.

My 84 yr old mom got her 1st vaccine shot a few days ago. It was Moderna. So, it looks like the vaccines are getting in arms here in Michigan. I agree with you, it'll be yearly covid shots like flu shots. I definitely o.k. with that; at least we'll be back to some semblance of "normalcy". A lot better that what we all are having to endure currently.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Encore arrived in Civitavecchia this morning from Marseille, and Escape is now heading there (ETA tomorrow morning) to join Encore after having left Genoa yesterday.

Earlier this week Epic left her berth at Marseille for a day or two while Encore borrowed the berth.

Joy is still staying put in Aruba.

From the news of Crew Center yesterday, Joy will not sail to Asia for repatriation. The crew from Joy / Sun / Pearl / Insignia will be brought home by charter flights instead. Only Encore will continue her journey to Asia.

Encore at Marseille (📷 Noel Ramos)

May be an image of nature

Getaway at Marseille (📷 Noel Ramos)

May be an image of outdoors

Encore and Getaway at Marseille (📷 Stalwart Sawyer)

Encore at Marseille (📷 Stalwart Sawyer)

May be an image of one or more people and outdoors

Encore and Oceania Riviera at Civitavecchia (📷 Anjo Rivero)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now an update, and to "bump" this thread back to first page ...

Encore is enroute to Brindisi Italy with ETA as 7am Sat March 6, to meet up with Spirit and Dawn that are already docked there.

Bliss has taken the berth in Southampton that was vacated by Encore.

Escape is now docked in Civitavecchia. 

Stay healthy & safe everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the last two days Encore is docked at Brindisi next to Spirit - they're "kissing" (bow-bow), with social distancing. Dawn is anchored off Brindisi - I reckon she will go in to dock when Spirit has finished the move.

image.thumb.png.4f40aea74c3a24f43d707c08901c2c0f.png

Stay well. Stay safe.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

For the last two days Encore is docked at Brindisi next to Spirit - they're "kissing" (bow-bow), with social distancing. Dawn is anchored off Brindisi - I reckon she will go in to dock when Spirit has finished the move.

You are right. Now the pier has Encore and Dawn.

Spirit heads to Bari after completing the crew transfer.

Encore.thumb.jpg.0e51df4bf6f0796aecd69c7767f60ad7.jpg

Edited by Cruise Wonderland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Encore begins her odyssey to Asia. Next port (technical call) will be Port Said in Egypt before entering the Suez Canal.

So sad to see.  This makes it more likely that Fall will be the earliest NCL restarts.

2021-03-11 125730.JPG

Edited by GA Dave

• 2 weeks later...