Will B2Bs be allowed?

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That's not how I read it.  It says that the ship must have "rapid RT-PCR point of care" equipment.  This is the "quick-test".  And it is for symptomatic pax and crew.  It requires lab quality testing for embarking pax, disembarking pax, and weekly for crew, but this must be at an approved lab, not onboard.

Perhaps I misread the requirement.  If that's the case then there will be extended delays in the embarkation / debarkation process, I assume. 

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Can a Foreign flagged ship sue in the US,, the government (CDC)?

M8

I don't think a ship can sue anyone.  The owners/operators could.   🙂 

My reply was in response to the suggestion that the CDC can't control U.S. citizen travel.  If that was the case the entire cruise ship ban up to this point would be in question and up for challenge in court.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

From page 16 -- requirements for both onboard and shoreside testing:

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 9.02.03 AM.png

Yes, as I said, the crew needs laboratory (shoreside) testing weekly, and when embarking and disembarking.  Pax need shoreside testing when embarking or disembarking.  The onboard diagnostic testing is mentioned on page 37 as being "point of care" testing.  While this is still RT-PCR testing, it does not require a full laboratory, only one machine.  They are saying that the onboard testing will not be as precise as lab testing, but you are only going to be testing symptomatic cases anyway.  They couldn't build a lab on the ship to handle all the testing of everyone.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, as I said, the crew needs laboratory (shoreside) testing weekly, and when embarking and disembarking.  Pax need shoreside testing when embarking or disembarking.  The onboard diagnostic testing is mentioned on page 37 as being "point of care" testing.  While this is still RT-PCR testing, it does not require a full laboratory, only one machine.  They are saying that the onboard testing will not be as precise as lab testing, but you are only going to be testing symptomatic cases anyway.  They couldn't build a lab on the ship to handle all the testing of everyone.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm glad the CDC is not requiring a full blown laboratory onboard as that would certainly make fare prices go up. 

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm glad the CDC is not requiring a full blown laboratory onboard as that would certainly make fare prices go up. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the testing equipment that is required is not chump change.  And, technically, since an onboard lab would not be "in the US", the CDC could not require it to meet the "Clinical Laboratory Improvements Amendments" (funnily enough, also "CLIA") that they require of shore labs.

Has anyone else noticed that check in is no longer working for January?  I have that B2B on the Mariner (18th-25th), and last week I was able to start the check in process and I came back on Friday to finish the one and start the second, but it tells me that check-in is no longer available for both.  I tried Friday, Saturday and today, no change.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Thank you for this clarification as I kept reading it and thought they have to construct a lab on each ship to handle lab testing vs the Rapid test that other sailings in Europe, such as MSC and Tui are using.

1 hour ago, TheBucketLister said:

Has anyone else noticed that check in is no longer working for January?  I have that B2B on the Mariner (18th-25th), and last week I was able to start the check in process and I came back on Friday to finish the one and start the second, but it tells me that check-in is no longer available for both.  I tried Friday, Saturday and today, no change.

You are right!   I just tried to do check in for my December and January sailings and both say Sorry currently unavailable.    

I wonder when we are going to hear from RCL.   Hopefully early this coming week. 

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You are right!   I just tried to do check in for my December and January sailings and both say Sorry currently unavailable.    

I wonder when we are going to hear from RCL.   Hopefully early this coming week. 

I agree!  The sooner the better.  I would like to rebook before the rates get ridiculous, especially as to not miss out on the double points offer.  Just as an example about rates, I booked an inside guarantee on the Brilliance of the Seas for Feb 25, 2021 in an inside guarantee for $450, now that same sailing and category is $1650!

4 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

I agree!  The sooner the better.  I would like to rebook before the rates get ridiculous, especially as to not miss out on the double points offer.  Just as an example about rates, I booked an inside guarantee on the Brilliance of the Seas for Feb 25, 2021 in an inside guarantee for $450, now that same sailing and category is $1650!

It seems to be hit or miss on prices right now.     Some of my booked cruise fare have more than doubled while others are near the same.   I have heard other cruises that have been able to take advantage of a reprice but none of my future sailings have dropped.     $450 to $1650 - is Crazy!

16 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Prices seem to have gone thru the roof for rebooking after a cancelled cruise.

Depends when and what category. Close in thru the roof, ourusualbeach posted maybe to discourage booking. If I look out further say april the price isnt bad, though this KSF isnt great for me, hope it isnt extended.

I think with double pts and covid, balconys or suites will stay high. Interiors cheap. Most of us dont want to be closed in with covid still obviously bad. Balcony or up I now want. 

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Depends when and what category. Close in thru the roof, ourusualbeach posted maybe to discourage booking. If I look out further say april the price isnt bad, though this KSF isnt great for me, hope it isnt extended.

I think with double pts and covid, balconys or suites will stay high. Interiors cheap. Most of us dont want to be closed in with covid still obviously bad. Balcony or up I now want. 

Our 12 night cruise has been replaced with an 8 night cruise and the price is just as high. This is for a JS. I will say though that since I rebooked (but not paid deposit) the price has dropped nearly $1500. Deposit not due until 6/11 so will be watching everyday for price drops. The annoying thing was that I couldn’t transfer my deposit from one cruise to the other.

I have read the CDC guidance a couple times now.  It does not mention the passengers in regards length of cruises.  In other words it does not address B2B's (or S2S for that matter).  I assume this will be amended at some time to address the issue.  I expect that they will not allow them at the beginning.    

11 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

I have read the CDC guidance a couple times now.  It does not mention the passengers in regards length of cruises.  In other words it does not address B2B's (or S2S for that matter).  I assume this will be amended at some time to address the issue.  I expect that they will not allow them at the beginning.    

I agree that I think that the cruise lines will be restricting B2B.  

Not sure if they will officially bother trying to restrict side to sides because if you have to provide a negative PCR test from 2-5 days  prior to boarding I’m not sure how you are going to be able to get that test if you are on a ship.  Seems like it’s kind of self regulating. 

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the testing equipment that is required is not chump change.  And, technically, since an onboard lab would not be "in the US", the CDC could not require it to meet the "Clinical Laboratory Improvements Amendments" (funnily enough, also "CLIA") that they require of shore labs.

Not to muddy the waters any further....

For CLIA purposes, an international laboratory is a facility outside the U.S. or its territories that performs laboratory tests for the assessment of the health of human beings when such tests are referred by, and the results are returned to, a facility or authorized person in the U.S. or its territories.

15 minutes ago, packercruising said:

I am starting to wonder if there will be any cruising until well into 2021. CDC doesn't seem to want cruises to start and they can change the guidelines whenever they want.

Now I don’t want to get into a political debate (Trump vs Biden), however I wonder if a change of administration will adversely affect the return to cruising.  The current administration is pro business, and seems to be butting heads with the CDC all the time, in particular, cruising, if you believe what has been reported.  Plus since Democrats tend to be a little less “business friendly”, and they are pushing for more controls and restrictions (as far as COVID-19 is concerned), will this really drag out the return to cruising into mid 2021 or further?  Assuming there are no finalized plans by Inauguration Day.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You probably will be able to, however your nose and sinus’s arent going to be happy. You will have to take a test to disembark, wait for reaults, get back in line, take another test, wait for results, then get in line, check in again, and get back on.  Your baggage is probably going to have to come off and then shlep it back on. 

But for us hard core enthusiasts, its a small price to pay. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I agree that I think that the cruise lines will be restricting B2B.  

Not sure if they will officially bother trying to restrict side to sides because if you have to provide a negative PCR test from 2-5 days  prior to boarding I’m not sure how you are going to be able to get that test if you are on a ship.  Seems like it’s kind of self regulating. 

If I remember correctly, it seems like the CDC is requiring  negative PCR tests to disembark.  It seems reasonable to me that the same test could fulfill the PCR test requirement to get on the ship.  I'll remain hopeful until there's other evidence.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

There are many cruises of more than 7 nights, several examples: most of the transatlantic are of 14 nights, 12 nights Southern Caribbean, 15 nights Panama Canal, etc

Yes.  We have a TA scheduled for April.   Waiting.