Royal cancels all sailings until 31/12

Kind of in line with this, we have a booking on Feb 14 that we really don't expect to sail.  We're only into it for a non-refundable deposit transferred from an earlier cancellation.  Due to COVID we decided not to make final payment which was due 3 days ago.  Other than a couple of automated email reminders about final payment coming due a couple of weeks ago we've heard nothing and the trip still shows on Upcoming Cruises.

DW thinks we should call and formally cancel.  I argue that if we do that then that's that.  But if we do nothing and then RCL cancels we have the chance of it becoming FCC or whatever the proper term would be.

Thoughts?  Just curious.

8 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Kind of in line with this, we have a booking on Feb 14 that we really don't expect to sail.  We're only into it for a non-refundable deposit transferred from an earlier cancellation.  Due to COVID we decided not to make final payment which was due 3 days ago.  Other than a couple of automated email reminders about final payment coming due a couple of weeks ago we've heard nothing and the trip still shows on Upcoming Cruises.

DW thinks we should call and formally cancel.  I argue that if we do that then that's that.  But if we do nothing and then RCL cancels we have the chance of it becoming FCC or whatever the proper term would be.

Thoughts?  Just curious.

If you wanted FCC for that deposit, you should have canceled prior to final payment. I'm not sure you'll get anything now.  Or you could have made final payment and then if Royal cancels, you would get a full refund I think.  By doing nothing, you may have lost your deposit altogether, but perhaps one of our 'resident TA's' such as @Ourusualbeachcan confirm that.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rockmom said:

If you wanted FCC for that deposit, you should have canceled prior to final payment. I'm not sure you'll get anything now.  Or you could have made final payment and then if Royal cancels, you would get a full refund I think.  By doing nothing, you may have lost your deposit altogether, but perhaps one of our 'resident TA's' such as @Ourusualbeachcan confirm that.  

Hi Mom.  Please note that this was already a non-refundable deposit so by cancelling we'd have lost it anyway.  Making final payment in this environment would have felt like throwing good money after bad.

1 minute ago, cltnccruisers said:

Hi Mom.  Please note that this was already a non-refundable deposit so by cancelling we'd have lost it anyway.  Making final payment in this environment would have felt like throwing good money after bad.

Under 'Cruise with Confidence' you wouldn't have lost it, it would have been given to you as a FCC I think.  You could have also moved that deposit to a new sailing without paying any penalties, again, I think. Cruise with Confidence gives a lot more flexibility.  

• Like 4

Me too.  Already received total refund back to Credit Card on both my 11/29/20 and 12/6/20 Harmony cruises.  

Definitely old news. 😉

Guessing time line for next round of month by month torture:   First week of December.  Maybe they will also officially cancel the cruises they have pulled from booking (but not cancelled) that are over 7 nights (TAs, TPs, etc.) 

2 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Under 'Cruise with Confidence' you wouldn't have lost it, it would have been given to you as a FCC I think.  You could have also moved that deposit to a new sailing without paying any penalties, again, I think. Cruise with Confidence gives a lot more flexibility.  

I'll give Cruise with Confidence a read - especially since we just now got an email from RCL with our Cruise Summary and links to complete travel documents.  So they may still see us as a viable revenue stream.  Then again, as I was typing this we got an email from  Kirk Wilson looking for final payment.

By way of background, the original cruise was to take our granddaughters and their mother to PR and a couple of the islands.  When that fell through we didn't have any viable options for them and transferred the deposit for ourselves.   It was also to help a friend get his TA started.  That kind of flopped to the point that his parent corporation called me trying to find him.  So much for helping a friend.  🙂 

2 hours ago, rockmom said:

It's so sad  some don't understand the options they have if they would have just asked or called the cruiseline. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I'll give Cruise with Confidence a read - especially since we just now got an email from RCL with our Cruise Summary and links to complete travel documents.  So they may still see us as a viable revenue stream.  Then again, as I was typing this we got an email from  Kirk Wilson looking for final payment.

By way of background, the original cruise was to take our granddaughters and their mother to PR and a couple of the islands.  When that fell through we didn't have any viable options for them and transferred the deposit for ourselves.   It was also to help a friend get his TA started.  That kind of flopped to the point that his parent corporation called me trying to find him.  So much for helping a friend.  🙂 

Everything that rockmom told you was correct.

do nothing and you will lose it completely.

call and cancel and it’s reissues as a FCC with no penalties or you can move it to another date. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Everything that rockmom told you was correct.

do nothing and you will lose it completely.

call and cancel and it’s reissues as a FCC with no penalties or you can move it to another date. 

We did call and the only option they gave us was for final payment.  That would be throwing good money after bad.  Not to mention that there was nothing in the first half of 2022 that interested us.  No bigee - live and learn.

2 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We did call and the only option they gave us was for final payment.  That would be throwing good money after bad.  Not to mention that there was nothing in the first half of 2022 that interested us.  No bigee - live and learn.

Had you called before final payment you absolutely could have  received a future cruise credit for your deposit without penalty. Perhaps the agent did not understand what you wanted or perhaps because you missed the final payment date it changed your options and they would no longer allow this.

CancellationFlexibility:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/CWC_Enhanced_FAQs.pdf

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Had you called before final payment you absolutely could have  received a future cruise credit for your deposit without penalty. Perhaps the agent did not understand what you wanted or perhaps because you missed the final payment date it changed your options and they would no longer allow this.

CancellationFlexibility:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/CWC_Enhanced_FAQs.pdf

I was very clear with the agent that it was our fault for missing the final payment.  Frankly, I think we woke him from a nap.  He put us on hold to allegedly check with someone up the food chain and when he came back he said the only option was for him to take our final payment.   We've worked with Princess and Celebrity during the COVID Era successfully and this fellow didn't impress us customer service wise.  Not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rockmom said:

Yup, that's exactly what we did when we rescheduled a non-refundable deposit for a 9 day to a 7 day in March, to be CDC compliant.  They made the change without penalty using Cruise With Confidence. The RCL agent was very helpful and easy to work with.

9 hours ago, travelhound said:

Yup, that's exactly what we did when we rescheduled a non-refundable deposit for a 9 day to a 7 day in March, to be CDC compliant.  They made the change without penalty using Cruise With Confidence. The RCL agent was very helpful and easy to work with.

Timing is everything.  🙂