Oxford Astra Zeneca Covid 19 Vaccine Shows Promising Signs For The Elderly

I was watching the BBC news this morning and there was a segment on the Oxford Astra Zeneca Covid 19 Vaccine. It has been reported in the Lancet Medical Jourmal that those over 70 may build robust immunity after having the vaccine and may have milder side affects than younger people. There is a report on the ABC News website this morning - Oxford Astea Zeneca Vaccine.

Leigh

46 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I was watching the BBC news this morning and there was a segment on the Oxford Astra Zeneca Covid 19 Vaccine. It has been reported in the Lancet Medical Jourmal that those over 70 may build robust immunity after having the vaccine and may have milder side affects than younger people. There is a report on the ABC News website this morning - Oxford Astea Zeneca Vaccine.

Leigh

I saw that too. Very encouraging.

Also saw that there is a lawsuit pending against the Brit government because of their policy of placing hospital Covid patients into care homes. What a disaster that was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I saw that too. Very encouraging.

Also saw that there is a lawsuit pending against the Brit government because of their policy of placing hospital Covid patients into care homes. What a disaster that was.

It sure was a disaster placing Covid patients into care homes. My son in law's great aunt is in a care home in Kent and the owners fought against having Covid patients there and in the end were able to keep their elderly folk safe.

Leigh

35 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It sure was a disaster placing Covid patients into care homes. My son in law's great aunt is in a care home in Kent and the owners fought against having Covid patients there and in the end were able to keep their elderly folk safe.

Leigh

There was a manager of a disabled home, who did the same.  All his people remained virus free.  Common sense wins out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Thanks Leigh.  I read that ABC News item also.  Sounds promising for over 70s.  

• Like 1

This is potentially good news compared to the other 2 manufacturers.

It was reported that Pfizer and the other one use the same type of new technology. However, this appears to be problematic to people  who are older, pregnant, younger, or have certain pre-existing conditions.

Now I have to wait a few more years until I am old enough..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

This is potentially good news compared to the other 2 manufacturers.

It was reported that Pfizer and the other one use the same type of new technology. However, this appears to be problematic to people  who are older, pregnant, younger, or have certain pre-existing conditions.

Now I have to wait a few more years until I am old enough..

Ah, so you are just a young whippersnapper, Adrian.🎂

Interesting preliminary results being reported on this one. Looks promising, with much easier storage and transportation.

Also, planning to ramp up production.

Highly anticipated results from phase three trials show the vaccine - of which the Australian government is guaranteed at least 30 million doses - was on average 70 per cent effective in preventing the disease.

But the researchers also found the efficacy hit 90 per cent based on a regime where a person is given an initial half-dose followed by a second full dose.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/astrazeneca-oxford-vaccine-prevents-70-percent-of-covid-cases-study-shows-20201123-p56h96.html

• Like 2

Dr Norman Swan was saying on ABC TV this morning that the preliminary results indicate, that unlike the two earlier vaccine candidates, the Oxford vaccine might prevent infection. Not just reduce the symptoms of COVID. It is also cheaper and only requires normal refrigeration. CSL has already produced the vaccine here in Australia and is ready to go once approval is given. Three weeks was mentioned as the time required. What a great Christmas present for the world. This vaccine appears to be a winner, rather than the for profit Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Dr Norman Swan was saying on ABC TV this morning that the preliminary results indicate, that unlike the two earlier vaccine candidates, the Oxford vaccine might prevent infection. Not just reduce the symptoms of COVID. It is also cheaper and only requires normal refrigeration. CSL has already produced the vaccine here in Australia and is ready to go once approval is given. Three weeks was mentioned as the time required. What a great Christmas present for the world. This vaccine appears to be a winner, rather than the for profit Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.

I found this article very interesting and informative. From the ABC news site this morning.  Addresses some really significant issues, but not able to fully answer them

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-11-24/do-coronavirus-vaccines-prevent-infection-or-disease/12905654

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

March was mentioned as the date.

The Age newspaper is reporting an earlier rollout. Much will depend on approval by the Therapeutic Goods Administration's (TGA) here in Australia.

"Pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca will start rolling out hundreds of millions of doses of its new coronavirus vaccine by Christmas after Oxford University researchers revealed a scientific breakthrough with the potential to end the pandemic." Full article here.

14 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The Age newspaper is reporting an earlier rollout. Much will depend on approval by the Therapeutic Goods Administration's (TGA) here in Australia.

"Pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca will start rolling out hundreds of millions of doses of its new coronavirus vaccine by Christmas after Oxford University researchers revealed a scientific breakthrough with the potential to end the pandemic." Full article here.

Not in Australia though. If you drill down into that article you'll find this quote:

'"Subject to approval, this means that Australians are very much on track for first vaccines in March," Hunt said.'

On 11/20/2020 at 10:15 AM, Docker123 said:

However, this appears to be problematic to people  who are older,, or have certain pre-existing conditions.

That is the only thing   what pre-existing conditions. ???????

And the other one how long will it last   ??

Otherwise all looks pretty good.......

Don

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

March is still good. 🙂

Having the virus under control by next winter is looking good. Although chickens hatching etc. ☺️

The next thing to ponder is how keen Carnival Corp and RCI will be to let their ships operate in an Oz/NZ/South Pacific bubble. Because it's hard to see US/Europe cruising opening up as quickly, given the mess they are in.

50 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

That is the only thing   what pre-existing conditions. ???????

And the other one how long will it last   ??

Otherwise all looks pretty good.......

Don

Australia’s most vulnerable citizens will miss out of the first doses of Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine until the drug is deemed safe.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration will not allow the elderly, children or pregnant women to receive the vaccine until research is conducted into potential side effects.

People suffering from diabetes and immunosuppression will also be among those prevented from receiving the vaccination.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6209099065001

Edited by Docker123

5 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Australia’s most vulnerable citizens will miss out of the first doses of Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine until the drug is deemed safe.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration will not allow the elderly, children or pregnant women to receive the vaccine until research is conducted into potential side effects.

People suffering from diabetes and immunosuppression will also be among those prevented from receiving the vaccination.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6209099065001

I am stuffed then, where do I go to surrender my passport?  The policy will knock a lot of cruisers out.

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The Astrazeneca/Oxford vaccine looks to be best for over 70s. 

The first vaccines from AstraZeneca are likely to be available, but subject to clinical approvals and data and regulatory approvals – they’re likely to be available as of January.

But the expectation is the approval process which John has set out, will mean that by March for example, both they and the Pfizer vaccines are likely to then be administered, beginning with the population of priority being the health workers, and the elderly, and the aged care workers.

- Greg Hunt Nov 11

Questions are now being asked about the half dose regimen. Seems it was done because of a manufacturing error (vials only partially filled), and only tested on a younger sample. 

This necessitates broader clinical trials to test the actual efficacy of this half dose-full dose procedure.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/astrazeneca-likely-to-run-new-covid-19-vaccine-trial-as-questions-emerge-ceo-says-20201127-p56iee.html

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 5:19 PM, Docker123 said:

Questions are now being asked about the half dose regimen. Seems it was done because of a manufacturing error (vials only partially filled), and only tested on a younger sample. 

This necessitates broader clinical trials to test the actual efficacy of this half dose-full dose procedure.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/astrazeneca-likely-to-run-new-covid-19-vaccine-trial-as-questions-emerge-ceo-says-20201127-p56iee.html

Possum52 and Docker123

Seems like a pin has burst the balloon regarding AstraZeneca here in the US.  Now there is much concern with Astra Zeneca's reliability.   The  NYTimes had an article "Astra Zeneca Faces Difficult Questions About It's Vaccine After Admitting Mistake".