MARCH 2021 EDGE CRUISE AT KEY WEST

WeMissSeaView

My understanding is that the law goes into effect immediately.  There are, however, lawsuits trying to prevent it.  Perhaps Celebrity is waiting to see what happens as they have their hands full with other stuff right now.  Fingers crossed - I love Key West and it is on a couple of my future itineraries as well.

Celebrity is in a win-win situation. If the Key West prohibition isn't effective until a later date, or is suspended while cases work their way through the courts, they'll sail as originally planned. If they can't stop in Key West, the cruise contract allows them to change the itinerary as they see fit.

I also don't think there's a chance these cruises will sail, however... If the stop is immediate as it appears it as, before they publish a modified itinerary they would need to replace the stop or alter the entire itinerary. Who knows which Caribbean islands will actually accept ships at first. They can't send everyone to Labadee and Coco Cay at once, so it's not quite as straightforward as simply removing the stop. There's also a chance they are waiting legal action for a judge to temporarily block the order.

In terms of a March cruise - I highly doubt it has an impact anyway. 

19 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I also don't think there's a chance these cruises will sail, however... If the stop is immediate as it appears it as, before they publish a modified itinerary they would need to replace the stop or alter the entire itinerary. Who knows which Caribbean islands will actually accept ships at first. They can't send everyone to Labadee and Coco Cay at once, so it's not quite as straightforward as simply removing the stop. There's also a chance they are waiting legal action for a judge to temporarily block the order.

In terms of a March cruise - I highly doubt it has an impact anyway. 

If they can't find an alternative port, they can simply make it a sea day.

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If they can't find an alternative port, they can simply make it a sea day.

Exactly, easy enough....I think Key West is one of the ports on an Edge cruise I have schedule this coming March....paid for with FCC's.  🙂

I called a rep last week about a short Millie cruise to KW, and the poor guy had no idea there was even an issue.  I told him to google it.  How can X put people on the phone without giving them some memo with talking points about what cruisers may ask?   Since this is an Edge thread...I just saw the she's in PEV, but parked in the Carnival spot at the head of the harbor.  That's weird. 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:20 PM, WonderMan3 said:

That March 2021 cruise is not going to sail at all so it's kind of a moot point.

You don't know this, so it would be nice if it was phrased as an opinion rather than a fact.

Since vaccinations in the US are starting next week (presumably as of this writing), by end of March things could be in much better shape, albeit very far from perfect. If any ships sail, they will be Edge and/or Apex.  So while I am also of the belief that it likely won't sail, I do think there is a small chance it will - perhaps reduced to a 4 or 5 night cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

You don't know this, so it would be nice if it was phrased as an opinion rather than a fact.

Since vaccinations in the US are starting next week (presumably as of this writing), by end of March things could be in much better shape, albeit very far from perfect. If any ships sail, they will be Edge and/or Apex.  So while I am also of the belief that it likely won't sail, I do think there is a small chance it will - perhaps reduced to a 4 or 5 night cruise.

But who will be vaccinated by late Feb into March.  Not sure many everyday folks.  I’m over 65, have asthma and have had breast cancer, not seeing me on a list getting vaccinated pre-March and maybe more likely sometime in April.

10 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

We have all gone around and around with this on these boards. People hoping their August cruises were going to sail, and their November cruises, and their Christmas and New Years cruises, all at times a few months out when the numbers clearly told a different story. Feel free to live in a rose colored bubble where this virus just magically devolves in the next few weeks and allows cruises to sail again in March. I am going to stick to reality where we just had a death total in one day that exceeded the deaths in 9/11, where we have numerous hospitals around the country running out of ICU beds and having to transport people to other states and where we see cities doing sewage testing that shows a volume of infection that projects a tsunami of new cases in the coming weeks that is like nothing we have seen so far. We also have yet to see the full impact of Thanksgiving gathering transmission and then we have both Christmas and New Year’s coming where people will recklessly gather yet again. Here in Massachusetts when we had our first outbreak in the spring it took almost two months for it to calm down to the point where we could start reopening things but that is only because we did a shut down of most everything. Now we are having numbers similar with no shutdown planned, and that is similar in many areas across the country, so I’m not sure how people expect to see numbers drop when life is going on as if everything is normal. And let’s remember that even when numbers get under control, which is months from now at the earliest, the cruise lines still have to do their test sailings for a period of time before sailing starts to the public. You’ll be lucky to see cruising start here in the United States again by summer. It’s time for realism not illogical  optimism.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 39august said:

Where did you see that vaccinations begin here next week, please? 

It has been discussed on various news sources. If the FDA approval for Pfizer is done by tomorrow as expected then vaccinations could start by the end of next week.

9 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

We have all gone around and around with this on these boards. People hoping their August cruises were going to sail, and their November cruises, and their Christmas and New Years cruises, all at times a few months out when the numbers clearly told a different story. Feel free to live in a rose colored bubble where this virus just magically devolves in the next few weeks and allows cruises to sail again in March. I am going to stick to reality where we just had a death total in one day that exceeded the deaths in 9/11, where we have numerous hospitals around the country running out of ICU beds and having to transport people to other states and where we see cities doing sewage testing that shows a volume of infection that projects a tsunami of new cases in the coming weeks that is like nothing we have seen so far. We also have yet to see the full impact of Thanksgiving gathering transmission and then we have both Christmas and New Year’s coming where people will recklessly gather yet again. Here in Massachusetts when we had our first outbreak in the spring it took almost two months for it to calm down to the point where we could start reopening things but that is only because we did a shut down of most everything. Now we are having numbers similar with no shutdown planned, and that is similar in many areas across the country, so I’m not sure how people expect to see numbers drop when life is going on as if everything is normal. And let’s remember that even when numbers get under control, which is months from now at the earliest, the cruise lines still have to do their test sailings for a period of time before sailing starts to the public. You’ll be lucky to see cruising start here in the United States again by summer. It’s time for realism not illogical  optimism.

While I don't disagree with what you are saying, having a bit of optimism over cruising, gathering with family next Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. does not hurt.  Helps to keep the blood pressure under control.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:43 AM, garyl62 said:

Do you have any official documentation of this? 

Really pretty simple logic.  No cruises till March 1 at the earliest.  OK so far?  Then the CDC requires practice cruises followed by cruises to private venues for 2-3 day duration.  See the CDC and CLIA guidelines if you like.

Am assuming you can do the math with only the above facts.  Add in that COVID will still be waiting for many to be inoculated and the ship certification and crew issues . . . 

Seems likely that Celebrity is already buried in cancellations and might need a breather before the next batch.

11 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Really pretty simple logic.  No cruises till March 1 at the earliest.  OK so far?  Then the CDC requires practice cruises followed by cruises to private venues for 2-3 day duration.  See the CDC and CLIA guidelines if you like.

Am assuming you can do the math with only the above facts.  Add in that COVID will still be waiting for many to be inoculated and the ship certification and crew issues . . . 

Seems likely that Celebrity is already buried in cancellations and might need a breather before the next batch.

so condescending!