Covid-19 Vaccinations To Be Required?

Daniel A

7 hours ago, Paulchili said:

We are now paying for our "fun" at Thanksgiving - and I mean even those of us that didn't travel may become victims of those that did.

And it infuriates me every single day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Similar here

Front line workers  EMS PSWs  etcc

then nursing homes, over 80's  then over 75  

maybe by summer  the rest  will get it

They have not announced how  we will be notified  yet  when our turn comes 😉

My husband's 76 so he's supposedly in the group for Jan./Feb. I'm 74 so the one after that March/April.

14 hours ago, Paulchili said:

...Apparently that is achievable because it was achieved by another country. 

Why not by us - the richest country with (presumably) the best healthcare in the world?

Respectfully, the US of A is well down the list in terms of world class healthcare! 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I am not even sure we make the top twenty.....

I googled it as some on here are quite exact so it turns out 27th

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-ranks-27th-for-healthcare-and-education-2018-9

Or 11th depending on who you want to believe 

https://www.citizen.org/article/dead-last-u-s-health-care-system-continues-to-rank-behind-other-industrialized-countries/

Edited by KirkNC

Yep, all those people killed by violence is the fault of the health care system. All the drug overdose deaths, yep the doctor’s fault. Listen to my step daughter the pediatrician talk about all the Fetal drug and fetal alcohol syndrome babies she sees, many without a chance. All that goes into the mortality charts those analysis use, and only a very tiny portion is an indication of our health care system. 

How does our morbid obesity problem compare to any of those countries on those lists? Mac and cheese is not a vegetable.

One place we do need to address vis-a-vie the rest of the world is the huge amount we spend on end of life care. My 94 year old, wheelchair bound, aunt surely didn’t need that knee replacement. Spending thousands of dollars to keep geriatrics alive 1-5 more days is a waste of funds that certainly needs to be addressed. Hospice should be mandatory not volunteer for many. 

Address these issues and relook at the tables.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

The article showing 11th was back in 2013!

• Like 1

Just now, TrulyBlonde said:

I could not believe that either. LOL!

At that time, the UK was ranked number one which it certainly isn't now....although I cannot find any definitive up-to-date rankings. My guess is that the Scandinavian nations will be holding the top positions now!

6 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Why do you choose a poll that only includes “ public “ health care facilities? Eliminating Kaiser, Columbia, and all of the other privately owned systems does skew the results. Locally Vanderbilt Hospital is a highly rated and highly acclaimed hospital, but it’s not on the list of “public “ hospitals even though the general public does in fact use it. 

Merely a poll by those advocating that various government entities own and control all healthcare facilities and operations. We don’t do that here ( yet).

When we lived in Denver we could choose between Denver General or UCHSC, both private; or an array of Health One or Centura Hospitals ( privately owned). Some of us believe choices are a good thing. Others prefer the government owning all the means.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Why do you choose a poll that only includes “ public “ health care facilities? Eliminating Kaiser, Columbia, and all of the other privately owned systems does skew the results. Locally Vanderbilt Hospital is a highly rated and highly acclaimed hospital, but it’s not on the list of “public “ hospitals even though the general public does in fact use it. 

Merely a poll by those advocating that various government entities own and control all healthcare facilities and operations. We don’t do that here ( yet).

When we lived in Denver we could choose between Denver General or UCHSC, both private; or an array of Health One or Centura Hospitals ( privately owned). Some of us believe choices are a good thing. Others prefer the government owning all the means.

Choice will always be my choice. I do not want any Gov't running my life. Freedom rings! Happy New Year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Now seems like a good time to remind posters of the ignore feature on Cruise Critic.  It’s a very effective tool to remove posts from your viewing window that you find arrogant, condescending or just down right rude.  You can add users via your account settings. 

There is nothing wrong with Florida strategies.  CDC is only a recommendation.  Florida has a greater over 65 and much less essential manufacturing.  Think our Governor is correct to do 65+ first then, front-line workers.  Already hospital workers have been done, in fact today the first group will be receiving the second dose of Pfizer vaccine.

However big issue here and will be all over the nation is the distribution and getting it to the patient.  Having hospitals (3 in our county) and county health care facilities (1 in our county) do it won't work.  Will need to get it to CVS and Walgreens where you find one per corner.  🙂

Also you need the JNJ vaccine to get approval as it is a one dose and refrigerate only.

No Monkey virus for me -- will not take the Oxford vaccine.

Stay safe and Happy New Year!

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

In the county I live in, regular people will be the very last to get vaccinated. All the people in jail and prison will get the vaccine before the people who would be able to take cruise. Criminals get priority over working, taxpaying people. Disgusting.

I emailed my doctor's office last week to ask when they may start vaccinations and the answer I got was "we have no idea when we will even get some to distribute." So even though we are in group 1B based on our ages, over 65, it could be months and months before we get the jab. By then I will have already traveled to Costa Rica and Namibia without being vaccinated. It is going to be iffy as to whether or not we will have been vaccinated by September for the Marina Baltic cruise, assuming it will be a go.

5 hours ago, susiesan said:

All the people in jail and prison will get the vaccine before the people who would be able to take cruise. Criminals get priority over working, taxpaying people. Disgusting.

It's not because they're "criminals." You know that, right?

• Thanks 1

My brother lives in Titusville, FL. There those over 65 are able to make a reservation on line to get their vaccinations. His is 1/19 for the first shot. After it is actually received, he can schedule the 2nd shot. After getting the appointment, the appt also comes with all the forms, which must be filled out and brought along, along with other necessary items like proper ID.

Seems rather organized to me. Can’t imagine why any numbskull would announce 1st come 1st service for the shot(s).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

My brother lives in Titusville, FL. There those over 65 are able to make a reservation on line to get their vaccinations. His is 1/19 for the first shot. After it is actually received, he can schedule the 2nd shot. After getting the appointment, the appt also comes with all the forms, which must be filled out and brought along, along with other necessary items like proper ID.

Seems rather organized to me. Can’t imagine why any numbskull would announce 1st come 1st service for the shot(s).

Here in Pitkin County CO, we have an online registration. When they finish with the 1st group, they move on to the 2nd group and so on. This was just implemented last week and hope to see it go well. Eagle County (Vail area) will begin next week with vaccinations for 70 plus etc.

It seems organized, also. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I think they have different protocols county by county in FL.

6 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Here in Pitkin County CO, we have an online registration. When they finish with the 1st group, they move on to the 2nd group and so on. This was just implemented last week and hope to see it go well. Eagle County (Vail area) will begin next week with vaccinations for 70 plus etc.

I got mine yesterday here in the Denver area, arm hurts a little today but that's all so far.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

My city, Kansas City, and county hasn't even begun any kind of online registration. I know from news reports that lots of the vaccine was delivered here but it is not being used. The people in nursing homes aren't getting it,  only healthcare workers and our local politicians (of course, what a surprise). I don't know what the delay is, what is going on. Cases and hospitalization rates are way down, over 50% lower than 2 weeks ago. Someone in KC is hoarding the vaccine.

19 minutes ago, susiesan said:

My city, Kansas City, and county hasn't even begun any kind of online registration. I know from news reports that lots of the vaccine was delivered here but it is not being used. The people in nursing homes aren't getting it,  only healthcare workers and our local politicians (of course, what a surprise). I don't know what the delay is, what is going on. Cases and hospitalization rates are way down, over 50% lower than 2 weeks ago. Someone in KC is hoarding the vaccine.

Here, school teachers and staff have been moved in front of the 70+ year olds in priority. I don’t mind, we must get all the kids back into school. The health departments will continue to go out to the schools and ensure all personnel are vaccinated. Getting all the schools done will take considerable time and a lot of vaccinations. It will easily be late February or March, depending upon the access to the vaccinations before they start with us.

I believe they haven’t started general sign up for we seasoned citizens because it’s to early to operationally tell when our turn will come.

It has been interesting watching how different States establish priorities and turns in the line. How some Ststes decide that getting otherwise healthy 70+ year olds vaccinated instead of quickly getting students quickly safely back into the classroom is really a statement on priorities and education both.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh come on. For what purpose?

To give first to politically connected people, the wealthy political donors, the elite and all the self important people who think they are better than the rest of us. Kansas City is one of the central distribution points for the Midwest of both vaccines. Through my business I happen to know where the freezers we're sent to and where the vaccination is being stored. There is an ample supply here to start vaccinating everyone on the priority schedule but none has been announced yet. There is a list/plan but no dates. As I said before, when your own doctor cannot tell their patients when they may be vaccinated because they have none to give .there is a problem. it's the same with covid testing here in KC, it is almost impossible to get tested. it is still taking 5-7 days for results to come back so no one bothers anymore. The response to the pandemic in Kansas City has been pathetic. I may try to get vaccinated while I am on vacation in Costa Rica in a few weeks. I can problem get it there faster than I can in my hometown.