Do you have a favourite HAL ship?

Damcruiser

3 hours ago, dfish said:

The Koningsdam blew me away as well.  I really enjoyed my cruise on her and I'm looking forward to my cruise on the Rotterdam next September.   

Funny, our first couple of cruises were on the old Ryndam and of course we loved it.  Been on various ships now on HAL but we spent 21 days on the Koningsdam and loved the ship.  I had been worried it would be too big but didn’t mind the size at all.  Loved the Dutch Cafe.  We had the NS booked but of course that was cancelled.   So, I’d have to say Koningsdam is my favourite today, lol.  Of course our next cruise is on the Volendam so my opinion might change.  

Perhaps my answer would be my favourite ship is the one I’m on.  Can hardly wait! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dfish said:

The Koningsdam blew me away as well.  I really enjoyed my cruise on her and I'm looking forward to my cruise on the Rotterdam next September.   

My sentiments exactly!  Loved K’dam and booked on Rotterdam VII for October.  Please post a review when you return!

• Like 2

Probably Ryndam III <-- not to be confused with the new one.  I was a sailor (crewed on boats with actual masts and sails) and she was the nautical-themed ship, with amazing nautical artifacts all over the place.  However, I loved ALL of the brass-and-mahogany, teak-decked little traditional "ocean liners" and now they are all gone but two.  That, combined with the other changes....Yum Yum man no longer chiming us into dinner, no more fresh flowers on the tables in the MDR, discontinuation of little snacks in the Explorations Cafe, loss of libraries and librarians, etc....makes me feel that HAL is methodically and inexorably shedding what made it unique.  It is becoming indistiguishable from other lines.  Might be time for me to move on to another line with small ships -- perhaps Oceania or Azamara.  JMO.

Edited by Av8rix

5 hours ago, Himself said:

I would say the two Signature Sisters are may favorutes.  I wish they had built more of that class.

Agreed!  The Signature ships have the classic features of the Vista class with the addition of fabulous Tamarind and the Silk Den.

Of the Vistas, I think Noordam wins for her unique Explorations Café on the promenade.

I enjoyed Koningsdam but would have done a lot differently.  Missed the proper promenade deck, the glass elevators, and the Explorer's Lounge.  And I thought the Ocean Bar was poorly situated, with prime real estate at the top of the atrium wasted on Guest Services.

So put me down for Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

Edited by johnnyswitzerland

23 hours ago, erewhon said:

My only Maasdam experience these days is to eat Maasdam cheese.!!

I wish I could find some!  

That's a frustrating part of traveling.  One finds a food or beverage item that one particularly enjoyed and attempts to get more when one returns home.  N/A more often than not where I live.  I found a cheese in Tasmania that I thought was really delicious.  Even in the most up-scale stores locally that might carry or be able to obtain such a product, it was N/A.  One clerk even insulted me by saying "why would you want that cheese?"  

• Like 1

For itineraries with plenty of port calls, I would pick the remaining R class ships, Volendam and Zaandam.  Great promenade deck, Crow's Nest, more MDR window tables, larger staterooms and 1400 guests vs 2000 or more to board and exit the ship at each port and tender as well.

For Itineraries with more sea days and especially trans ocean crossings, I do like the larger ships including the K'dam and NS.  The K'dam and NS have more and possibly better entertainment venues and a great two story pool area, but lack the wide promenade deck with deck chairs that the Vista and Signature ships have.

Most of my Mariner days have been on the now departed S and R class, but I hope I have many more days ahead on what is now sailing!

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I wish I could find some!  

That's a frustrating part of traveling.  One finds a food or beverage item that one particularly enjoyed and attempts to get more when one returns home.  N/A more often than not where I live.  I found a cheese in Tasmania that I thought was really delicious.  Even in the most up-scale stores locally that might carry or be able to obtain such a product, it was N/A.  One clerk even insulted me by saying "why would you want that cheese?"  

We are fortunate that our neighbourhood supermarket sells Maasdam cheese.

• Like 2

Having only 3 HAL sailings (with about 40 total), I certainly can't say I have a favorite!

First was RT Hawaii on Zaandam.  Loved it!   Next was partial Panama Canal on Zuiderdam and also loved it, especially my great J inside cabin.  So big for a solo!  Then, on to K'dam just after she came to the states.  Thought it was fantastic.  Beautiful ship, great entertainment (and that was before she got the Rolling Stone venue), good food and service, of course.

Had booked Zaandam again for this past April for her repo from FLL to Montreal.  So sad that was cancelled.  Re-booked a B2B for early January on Nieuw Amsterdam which, of course, have been cancelled, but I'm booked on her again for next December (again in a J inside cabin).  Almost booked Rotterdam, but the price was too high (new ship).

I'm not a fan of huge ships.  K'dam was as big as I want.  Honestly, I'd be happy to sail on any of them at this point!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love HAL because of its smaller ships.  Veendam was my favorite, sailed it in Alaska and Canada.  Unfortunately, it has been sold.  Hoping for the best on my Zuiderdam, Panama Canal cruise in 2022.  Would love your insights.

We've never cruised on the larger newer ships but guess I would have to say the Volendam and the Noordam as we've cruised more on them than others.  Love the Volendam for its size and traditional feel but also love the Noordam.  Our last cruise was on the Maasdam which was fantastic - a lovely little ship, but alas, she's gone.  The crew was wonderful as always on both ships.

• Like 1

Our last (Eastern Med cruise in Fall 2019) on Koningsdam was simply wonderful, my only complaint was a less open Promenade deck for walking compared to her predecessor classes.  The added entertainment was a plus, as was the expanded two deck covered Lido Pool, and extra dining venues....Never felt crowded.   Service was excellent on all four ships, across three classes.  The now retired Rotterdam had character (except the ruined aft pool) and lines the new ships can't match.  

My vote today:  Koningsdam.

Cruising on N Statendam in June (Norway) [fingers crossed]

Edited by CNSJ

On 12/19/2020 at 11:39 AM, Av8rix said:

Probably Ryndam III <-- not to be confused with the new one.  I was a sailor (crewed on boats with actual masts and sails) and she was the nautical-themed ship, with amazing nautical artifacts all over the place.  However, I loved ALL of the brass-and-mahogany, teak-decked little traditional "ocean liners" and now they are all gone but two.  That, combined with the other changes....Yum Yum man no longer chiming us into dinner, no more fresh flowers on the tables in the MDR, discontinuation of little snacks in the Explorations Cafe, loss of libraries and librarians, etc....makes me feel that HAL is methodically and inexorably shedding what made it unique.  It is becoming indistiguishable from other lines.  Might be time for me to move on to another line with small ships -- perhaps Oceania or Azamara.  JMO.

Yes, Libraries and room for puzzles etc.!  That made for a great place on sea days!  HAL needs to bring back librarians and puzzle tables.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CNSJ said:

Yes, Libraries and room for puzzles etc.!  That made for a great place on sea days!  HAL needs to bring back librarians and puzzle tables.....

...and other things that once made HAL the "Signature of Excellence" and "It's Good To Be On A Well Run Ship" cruise company.  

• Like 3

On 12/29/2020 at 6:16 PM, 0106 said:

I love HAL because of its smaller ships.  Veendam was my favorite, sailed it in Alaska and Canada.  Unfortunately, it has been sold.  Hoping for the best on my Zuiderdam, Panama Canal cruise in 2022.  Would love your insights.

Our last cruise (hopefully not forever!) was the Zuidy from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen in December 2019. We found our favorite ship! Although we were keen to try her sister the Oosterdam with a first-after-retirement cruise of 28 days... in Mar/Apr of 2020. You know what happened to that plan. 

The four Vista class ships, named for the cardinal points, just seem to have the optimum size -- small enough to get to know and large enough never to get bored no matter how many sea days. My other past HAL cruises include the S-class Statendam, the Zaandam & Volendam, and the Nieuw Amsterdam. My booked cruises are on the Koningsdam and the Zuiderdam. 

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Our last cruise (hopefully not forever!) was the Zuidy from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen in December 2019. We found our favorite ship! Although we were keen to try her sister the Oosterdam with a first-after-retirement cruise of 28 days... in Mar/Apr of 2020. You know what happened to that plan. 

The four Vista class ships, named for the cardinal points, just seem to have the optimum size -- small enough to get to know and large enough never to get bored no matter how many sea days. My other past HAL cruises include the S-class Statendam, the Zaandam & Volendam, and the Nieuw Amsterdam. My booked cruises are on the Koningsdam and the Zuiderdam. 

Did you really see that much difference between the Nieuw Amsterdam and Zuiderdam?

Roy

We have done a lot of sailings on Celebrity cruise ships . At one time they had the old Mercury sailing the Mexican  riviera route & we sailed many times  .Then X decided to not sail from California ports with only a few exceptions  ,like the Panama Canal  & Alaska . Rarely Hawaii  , So that being said ;as we live in San Diego area ,we had to search for a new line that would fit our senior style of crusing . Well HAL certainly fir us perfectly  . Not too small & not too big 

Fast foward we are only lowly 3 star Mariners  where we are Elite plus with Celebrity . However ,when you are in your early 80s you tend mot to want to fly as often as when younger to meet a cruise ship  . So ,we founf a new home with HAL ,We sailed the old Ryndam , the Osterdam ,Nordam , Eurodam but ,we really like the Koningsdam & already have done 2 past cruises on her . She fits & replaces Celebrity easily .  We look forward to more Koningsdam cruisex & any other Pinnacle class vessel we can manage to cruise in the future 

• Thanks 1