The Daily for Tuesday Jan 12, 2021

richwmn

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We have the occasional coffee during the day (or from a Tim's run), but it isn't our standard morning beverage any longer. 

I obviously haven't been to Canada for a while but Tim's used to feature "Steeped Tea" that I thought was superb.  Is it still featured? 

One special memory I have is a time in Yellowknife where I was set to board a bus to Edmonton at midnight.  I had to turn in my rental car I think by 9, and was stuck with several hours to wait.  The bus company suggested a bar "but do not get drunk or you will be refused passage".  There was a Tim's nearby and I spent the evening there getting a steeped tea and single timbit every hour or so.  It was a needed refuge for a stressful evening.

Roy

• Like 10

Any Dailyites within driving distance of Flagler County, Florida? (Just South of St. Augustine & about 30 minutes North of Daytona).

You can call 386-313-4200 and be put on a vaccine waiting list. Might take more than 4 weeks, but much more organized than my Volusia County, which is now opening up the County fairgrounds. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I obviously haven't been to Canada for a while but Tim's used to feature "Steeped Tea" that I thought was superb.  Is it still featured? 

Yes, the Steeped Tea is still available, but because we start with tea in the morning, we usually order coffee.  We've been enjoying flavoured teas; my favourite is Bigelow's I Love Lemon which I started drinking on a HAL ship many years ago.  DH's preferences are the fruit teas - raspberry, plum, peach and apricot.  Whenever we find a new fruit tea, it comes home with us to try.

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

One special memory I have is a time in Yellowknife where I was set to board a bus to Edmonton at midnight.  I had to turn in my rental car I think by 9, and was stuck with several hours to wait.  The bus company suggested a bar "but do not get drunk or you will be refused passage".  There was a Tim's nearby and I spent the evening there getting a steeped tea and single timbit every hour or so.  It was a needed refuge for a stressful evening.

Roy

Been to Yellowknife a couple times.  There used to be a bar there called the Monkey Tree that was pretty lively 🙂

• Like 5

Good Morning All!

Will pass on the meal suggestion tonight and instead make pizza again. We’re on a mission here to trim down our frozen inventory so it’s easier to transfer to a new fridge sometime soon. Maybe DH will agree to go with me this weekend to look at what I’ve narrowed the field down to: Thor, F&P and Whirlpool quad door models and kitchenaide and GE side-by-sides.

Tomorrow the new oven comes so we’re looking forward to not having the electric odors, and being able to use the microwave with confidence.

Todays agenda includes making bread and organizing the shed which I just painted, and planting poppies on our slope. Will post the next Antarctica installment later when I turn on my system. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

@kazu, which of your pups is going to the doctor today?  Need to know which of them to focus on.  Hoping for a good outcome; we need some good news for 2021!

Thanks kindly.  Just got back from the vet.

It’s Marley - my Bernese Mountain Dog.  They aspirated it and don’t like the abnormal cells they found.  He’s being operated on  Thursday to remove as much of it as possible (in a spot where there is little skin on the nose) and send it away for analysis to see if it is benign or not.  Looks like my 2021 is not off to a good start - $$$$.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It's $10 Tuesday at Papa Murphy so it's pizza for dinner tonight!

A box of TimBits would be wonderful right now, but I would have to drive to Fort Francis or Thunder Bay (5-6 hours!)

In 2019, today was a sea day on the Nieuw Statendam for us - 

DSC_0672.thumb.JPG.ecd0917c9857749a082889b4cbeb7db1.JPG

DSC_0663.thumb.JPG.e03619cbee2c9f7eec8026540c38ad23.JPG

• Like 17

Good morning all!

Gosh, I shop for travel every single day, it's how I keep my sanity (or at least try). 😂 Since our April cruise was cancelled recently (no surprise there) we're planning a two-week road trip the first half of May.  It may not be a cruise, but until then....the wanderlust doesn't stop.

I'm more of a coffee gal than tea, but I do like herbal tea once in awhile.  Looks like several of us are thinking of pizza tonight.  That and a Guiness will be for dinner tonight. 🙂 

Pharmacist Day!  A neighbor and very good friend is a pharmacist, and she has given me SO much good advice over the years.  She can remember what meds I have ever taken in the past 25 years -- much better than I can!  On the other side of us is a retired nurse, another good friend.  Between them and our DSIL who is a PA, I feel like I'm well covered and appreciate them all.  

@kazuprayers for your sweet Marley.  Hoping they find it benign even though they didn't like the look of the abnormal cells.

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s Marley - my Bernese Mountain Dog.  They aspirated it and don’t like the abnormal cells they found.  He’s being operated on  Thursday to remove as much of it as possible (in a spot where there is little skin on the nose) and send it away for analysis to see if it is benign or not.  Looks like my 2021 is not off to a good start - $$$$.

Sorry to hear this. Hope it is benign 

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, I am so sorry to hear this. I will keep Marley in my prayers, too.

To give you hope, my dearly departed Trix, pictured below, had a huge growth - bigger than a golf ball - on her face. It was removed. Sent for tests, though my vet told me not to expect good news!  It was benign. No one could believe it! Trix lived another six years. 

4F463797-8E67-4C0D-8F53-528B1C4B1C09.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15

Good Morning all.  It's a beautiful but very chilly day in Philly area today. 

Boarded the beautiful Nieuw Statendam on this date last year for Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas and Half Moon.  I hadn't been to the islands for a few years by land or sea, and never solo before, and enjoyed visiting these "old friends."  The last time to Nassau was honeymoon in 1966!  What a change.  Everyone on board was in a festive mood and it was a fun trip.   Just over the horizon though, was the rest of 2020!

On the 5th day, right on schedule, my new 4 Star status document was delivered to my cabin door.  Not quite the same as medal ceremonies of the past but nice to be acknowledged.  

Be safe and well everyone. 

Thanks, Prayers and Cheers!

Cindy

• Like 12

Morning all. Cold here but we are due for a warming trend.

@kazu - we are sending best wishes to Marley.

I am just finishing up my morning coffee and the tea/coffee comments are interesting. I also seem to switch to morning tea on cruises. I often carry my own. I do drink tea most afternoons at home. Funny how routines get set.

I have a week of appointments. Dentist today, vet for Bandit (Shih Tzu) tomorrow for a routine check, and my own Dr. on Thursday. That should pretty well clean out my pockets for awhile. I have gotten on several lists for the "jab".... now am waiting. A friend of mine got hers a few days ago. She is extremely high risk and evidently her doctor's clinic had some extra available. She says she was tried and a bit achy but is happy to have the first shot taken care of. My sister in Maryland is hoping to hear something.... she says she is so tired of not being able to do her shopping in person.

Susan

• Like 12

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Any Dailyites within driving distance of Flagler County, Florida? (Just South of St. Augustine & about 30 minutes North of Daytona).

You can call 386-313-4200 and be put on a vaccine waiting list. Might take more than 4 weeks, but much more organized than my Volusia County, which is now opening up the County fairgrounds. 

Thanks. Might try this one. I am on several lists including the volunteer one to assist with distribution but nothing yet. I am in Brevard so really not far from there.

• Like 7

Good morning!  Going to try posting in the a.m., and then reading throughout the day.  Evening posting isn't working, as I never manage to get it done late in the day!  

@kazusending good thoughts for you and your Marley.  Our beloved pets can cause so much worry.  I am loving all the good news about "the jab."  I got an email last night that I would be contacted for my appointment time for the first go round, so feel that is some progress.

Travel shopping is where we all would like to indulge--either shopping FOR travel, or shopping WHILE traveling!  That day will come again.  Think I can call tomorrow for my hotel reservation for Hawaii next year (where I should be right now).

I am due for my computer guy to show up shortly so work on a few bugs, so hope all goes well.  In the meantime I will continue drinking my morning tea--I am not a coffee person.

Have a great day everyone and prayers for all!

• Like 11

Good Evening to All!

The sun is just setting after a cloudy damp day.  This day last year and we boarded Koningsdam for a 10 day Southern Caribbean trip with Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Amber Cove, Grand Turk and HMC.  Actually with the 5 hour time difference it really was just about this time we boarded!

I must go back on CC and read my 'Musings' thread and try to enjoy the trip again.

Positive thoughts to all who need them, whether with 2 legs or 4.

• Like 17

Good morning, all, and many thanks to Rich and Roy and the drinks ladies.

Jacqui, @kazu, so sorry about Master Marley (Mister Marley now, I think)..  The nose is such a sensitive spot - hope all goes well on Thursday.  I'll be thinking of him.

We are off in a little while to bottle some wine - pinot grigio, I think.  We might have to order some red, too, we usually make a nice blend of Cab Sauvignon, Carmenere and Merlot, or else just get some of the red wines on sale at Everything Wine to try.  They seem to have a few interesting blends.

@VMax1700, we were on that cruise, too, with @sailingdutchy and the Mrs.   I don't think there was a CC M&G, but we might have seen you around the ship!   We had a blast, we had been on board for the previous 11 days with our daughter and her boyfriend, and had a very pleasant time, but the party started when Tony and Martha boarded.  😃

Edited to say :  Sorry, my bad - we were on Koningsdam in 2019, not last year.  I keep forgetting this is 2021...

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Looking forward to shopping for travel. Only rarely drink tea, I'm a hardcore coffee person. Pharmacists deserve cheers.

Pumpkin pasta sounds interesting.

@Himself Praying for good test results.

@kazu Hopefully Marley will be ok.

Got an email from my Health System saying they will let you know when the vaccine is available and then you can schedule via their online portal. No clue about when that might be, though.

Prayers for those on the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Be safe, stay well, wear your mask!

V

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Edited to say :  Sorry, my bad - we were on Koningsdam in 2019, not last year.  I keep forgetting this is 2021...

HAHA! When I read your reply I my brain started turning over and I was thinking em, er, what year is this?? 🤪  Then I thought.......maybe the last 12 months have really been a bad dream and I am going to wake up......

P.S.  sorry we missed you! 😉

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Good morning, all! Well, I switch to tea after two cups of coffee in the mornings, and we get our vaccinations from our pharmacist. ( No word on THE vaccine yet, of course). Yesterday our TA got the official booking papers for our 2022 Grand Africa, so it’s National Shop Travel Day for the win!

@kazuI am sorry to hear about Marley - I hope the nose heals up quickly and isn’t too sore. @cat shepardthere is an old trick for dealing with wines with a ‘crunchy core’ - take it out of the bottle!
Well, we had just under 1/2” of rain yesterday, but I see just over a full inch has fallen since sunset last night. This just goes on and on. I’m not sure which to hope for first - a vaccination, or an ark. Wait - if we were evacuated on an ark,  does that count as a cruise? It does, doesn’t it! No one ever claimed the light at the end of the tunnel was always above water.

Happy Tuesday, from the elevator mats we all miss so much.

F1E0FB5C-6C12-4964-AAA0-586F40570282.jpeg

• Like 15

Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy et al!  Yes,   Tea day!   Finished my first cup of tropical green tea, out of passion fruit green tea my favourite! Love earl grey,  spice tea, green, lemon ginger....

We’ve been having very mild January weather.  Hit plus 11 C on Sunday!  So enjoy Gerri! 

Our niece is having an angiogram as we speak and could use extra prayers.   She works in an assisted living facility. 

It’s still a beautiful world!  A few more of the snowbirds stayed home this year. 

B3EE7D5C-E6C9-4435-8F3E-EF91797A56DD.jpeg

• Like 15