CDC today says no need to quarantine after vaccine if exposed to Covid

sugcarol

10 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

I Didnt say anything anything about Quarantine/Not. But, you still have be in that small window of less then 3 months to not Quarantine. If exposed I'd still Quarantine for Family/Friends. As stated in my first Post: 

The new rules mean people can skip quarantine if they:

• Got the second dose of a vaccine more than 2 weeks ago, but less than 3 months ago.
  • Experienced no symptoms of COVID-19 since they were exposed.        ....The guidance admitted that it is not yet clear whether someone who has been vaccinated could still pass on the coronavirus to someone else

ok.  May I make a suggestion?  Please use one size font, color, leave out the underlining out and italics.  It just is a little clearer and less like a proposal or presentation and easier to read.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

ok.  May I make a suggestion?  Please use one size font, color, leave out the underlining out and italics.  It just is a little clearer and less like a proposal or presentation and easier to read.

No problem, was cut/paste and was on cell one part, laptop other. On my Cell looked fine. Not my normal...

• Like 1

So does anyone know exactly how they determine how long the vaccine lasts? Are trial participants  periodically exposed to Covid to see if they catch it?  I can't imagine any other way to determine how effective it is after the last shot.

The 3 month limit currently is simply based on trial results which have shown the efficacy continues for that period. As the trials continue and information from practical experience from those outside the trial who are vaccinated come in that recommendation will be adjusted. Don't read things into it beyond that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mek said:

So does anyone know exactly how they determine how long the vaccine lasts? Are trial participants  periodically exposed to Covid to see if they catch it?  I can't imagine any other way to determine how effective it is after the last shot.

When I was asked if I wanted to volunteer for covid vaccine trials, one of the questions they asked was if I am regularly out in public, eating out without wearing a mask, go to a bar, go to a gym, go to a salon, etc etc.    they were seeking volunteers that would be in all of these types of settings on a regular basis.    Of course, they wanted you do all of this as safe as possible, they were not telling anyone to go maskless.  They were also going to do labs 2 or 3x week to check for antibodies.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When I was asked if I wanted to volunteer for covid vaccine trials, one of the questions they asked was if I am regularly out in public, eating out without wearing a mask, go to a bar, go to a gym, go to a salon, etc etc.    they were seeking volunteers that would be in all of these types of settings on a regular basis.    Of course, they wanted you do all of this as safe as possible, they were not telling anyone to go maskless.  They were also going to do labs 2 or 3x week to check for antibodies.

Oh - well that makes sense - people just live normal lives and then are tested for the presence of antibodies.

13 minutes ago, mek said:

Oh - well that makes sense - people just live normal lives and then are tested for the presence of antibodies.

Yes, exposing people purposefully to a deadly virus would be ethically dubious even under the best circumstances.

Pfizer checks us for antibodies at most of the in person appointments (1st shot, 2nd shot, 1 month out, then 6 months out), and then about a month after a reported COVID-like illness. There is no routine antibody screening aside from those. The trial is very much only designed to determine efficacy against symptomatic disease... You wouldn't be able to directly measure asymptomatic spread or infectivity from that, though there are secondary measures. There may be other trials trying to infer that data, though I think given the circumstances it's probably more of a "give the shots now, do the analysis later" situation with the population at large.

Edited by lizzius

Just wondering what proof they will require that you've had the vaccine. In the UK they are just giving a little card with your name and the batch details, it's not very official looking, in fact the name was blank for us to fill in ourselves. My parents have had both doses and had nothing more. Are you getting some sort of certificate in the US? 

19 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

• Got the second dose of a vaccine more than 2 weeks ago, but less than 3 months ago.
  • Experienced no symptoms of COVID-19 since they were exposed.        ....The guidance admitted that it is not yet clear whether someone who has been vaccinated could still pass on the coronavirus to someone else

The key here is the timing of the vaccine .  Seems to imply that after 3 months, you may still be vulnerable and subject to quarantine.   That's NOT what we got the vaccine for.  2 shots every 3 months is probably overkill.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

The key here is the timing of the vaccine .  Seems to imply that after 3 months, you may still be vulnerable and subject to quarantine.   That's NOT what we got the vaccine for.  2 shots every 3 months is probably overkill.

I think you are overreacting.  Booster shots will only require 1 shot every 3 months

Edited by ipeeinthepool

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not really. You get this card filled out:

Image result for cdc vaccine card

and likely be entered in to the CDC VAMS database.

I would venture to guess that your dr office may be able to pull up a copy for you if they are able through the states immunization information system.

Edited by jean87510

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not really. You get this card filled out:

Image result for cdc vaccine card

and likely be entered in to the CDC VAMS database.

At least in Michigan, the vaccination sites are supposed to notify the State of Michigan when you are vaccinated and the State will track that information.  Who knows how well that will work or how long that will take to be completed.  My primary care doctor said he will update my medical records if I bring the card to him.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

14 hours ago, dswallow said:

The 3 month limit currently is simply based on trial results which have shown the efficacy continues for that period. As the trials continue and information from practical experience from those outside the trial who are vaccinated come in that recommendation will be adjusted. Don't read things into it beyond that.

I love how we are now calling a mass vaccination campaign a "trial". In this world of CC speculation we now have enough information to suggest the possibility that in order to cruise a passenger needs to have proof of a booster within 3 months of sailing. I have no idea what that means for the crew......

18 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I love how we are now calling a mass vaccination campaign a "trial". In this world of CC speculation we now have enough information to suggest the possibility that in order to cruise a passenger needs to have proof of a booster within 3 months of sailing. I have no idea what that means for the crew......

I don't think cruises will sail until quarantine requirements are a thing of the past anyway... Another reason we all need to be cheering on good metrics with regard to disease severity (aided by both vaccinations and naturally derived immunity) rather than this idea cruise lines may require a vaccine.

• Like 1

This new guidance from the CDC displays how they are continually reviewing new data, following the science and adapting their response to suit their best efforts to keep America safe.

Just today the CDC Cruise Ship Task Force spent hours reviewing the hard work of their colleagues and have also updated their guidance.  

1865637218_CDCSharpie.thumb.jpg.705fe4bc27bd3483a8d20821c623abb1.jpg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I Didnt say anything anything about Quarantine/Not. But, you still have be in that small window of less then 3 months to not Quarantine. If exposed I'd still Quarantine for Family/Friends. As stated in my first Post: 

Think about changing you posting to standard font and drop your attempts to shout.  Terribly rude 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

22 hours ago, orville99 said:

This will definitely push the cruise lines to accelerate their pressure on the CDC to allow a return to cruising. 

The cruiselines really cannot do much today as International is difficult to impossible.  How do they get crew to the ships?  Note they are currently forced to rotating crew off the ships by using a ship to go to India/Indonesia/Phillipines etc.

Patience needed.

9 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Think about changing you posting to standard font and drop your attempts to shout.  Terribly rude 

Cut and Paste from an article

Plus my underlining and color change for emphasis...  

Sorry if you find that offensive enough to even comment. 

Maybe the entire website should be changed to 12 point Times New Roman with only black for the font color.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Cut and Paste from an article

Plus my underlining and color change for emphasis...  

Sorry if you find that offensive enough to even comment. 

Maybe the entire website should be changed to 12 point Times New Roman with only black for the font color.

We should make that an EO.

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

There is nothing in the CDC's document that would infer this conclusion. The document states that it will be continuously updated as new data is received. The clinical reason for "three months" is based solely on the reality that the data available for two vaccines referenced (Pfizer and Moderna) only spans a three-month timeframe. To quote the document being referenced,

"These quarantine recommendations for vaccinated persons, including the criteria for timing since receipt of the last dose in the vaccination series, will be updated when more data become available and additional COVID-19 vaccines are authorized."

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think you are overreacting.  Booster shots will only require 1 shot every 3 months

To quote the document being referenced,

"The need for and timing of booster doses for mRNA COVID-19 vaccines has not been established. No additional doses beyond the two-dose primary series are recommended at this time." 

• Like 1