NCL just cancelled through May 31

Frustration, disappointment and the 'stay scared' montra continue...and therefore so does the cancellation program.  Bankruptcy/reorganization/whatever ya want to call it appear to be closer every day IMO.  Others may think bailouts/printing of $$/etc will save them, but I don't believe the cruise industry will make those lists. Not looking up for cruising....as 'Jimbo' stated so eloquently....'No end in sight'.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

Can you imagine what most here in CC would have said last year at this time if they were told ships would not be sailing for over a year?  I remember people arguing in March that their May cruises would be happening.

Not making fun of anyone who didn't see this coming because at the time  I thought cruises would probably start up in December.

Yet, here we are two months into 2021 and nobody has any idea when cruising will start back up from North American ports.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, mek said:

Can you imagine what most here in CC would have said last year at this time if they were told ships would not be sailing for over a year?  I remember people arguing in March that their May cruises would be happening.

Not making fun of anyone who didn't see this coming because at the time  I thought cruises would probably start up in December.

Yet, here we are two months into 2021 and nobody has any idea when cruising will start back up from North American ports.

I posted this poll last May 2020.........only a couple people said start date later then June 2021................Everyone else was way off........

A good sign (maybe taken as good out of desperation) is that it was only a month this time instead of two.

But I agree, there's at least 2 months, if not 3, from the time the first test cruise happens until revenue cruises happen. And maybe longer since we know the CDC is in no hurry.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I posted this poll last May 2020.........only a couple people said start date later then June 2021................Everyone else was way off........

I didn't participate in any of the polls, but I'll admit....I was in the 'way off club' back then.  Sadly, I think cruising if further out now than I did then.

44 minutes ago, mek said:

I remember in March a member berating me saying that he would be on his cruise in June.  He also accused me of short selling RC stock, even though I own no RC stock then or at any point in time.  They also said a bunch of other stuff but it's not worth going into.  I haven't forgotten their CC name, but I have noticed that they are not on the boards all that much anymore.

My expectations are not far off of what yours are.  At this point in time I am doubtful that my October cruise will go.  The ship might be sailing by then, but travel restrictions from Canada might be the bigger issue.  It will be a wait and see.

10 minutes ago, molly361 said:

3 to 4 weeks😇 I' beginning to change my thoughts to REFUND

If our cruises weren't non-refundable suites I would have been take the refunds on all our self cancelled cruises. I do love your optimism though. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

And although they have not officially cancelled, Carnival is letting anyone with a reservation for a 7-day or less cruise through 7/31/2021 cancel for a full refund. Anyone with a reservation for an 8-day departure through 10/31/2021 can also cancel for a full refund. Guests must cancel by 3/31/2021.

Unfortunately, the handwriting is on the wall. 

mac_tlc 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If our cruises weren't non-refundable suites I would have been take the refunds on all our self cancelled cruises. I do love your optimism though. 

Yesterday I was talking to my TA about a possible shift for our Allure suite in May when it gets cancelled  but this morning, even before NCL's announcement ,I was telling Dan that maybe we should just get a refund

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, mek said:

You make it sound as if only the optimistic were proven wrong. So were those who said 2 million Americans would be dead by end of summer, no vaccines for years, and no cruising at all in 2020-all also wrong. Are you really blaming people who just wanted some good news to look forward to? Besides, all predictions are based on what the facts are at any given moment, and could change-for better or for worse.

I never thought we would still be dealing with Covid to this extent after almost a year. We have canceled or shifted 6 cruises now and I know many on here have cancelled more.  I am worried about my November  26th cruise from Miami because it is a 9-night. 

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

You make it sound as if only the optimistic were proven wrong.

My take is there were two groups.  One was the optimistic. Unfortunately, over time the optimistic have become more realistic as each group of cancellations happens. 

The other group were the deniers.  They typically remain true to their stance, unless they had a near death experience. 

Are you really blaming people who just wanted some good news to look forward to?

My optimism is that it will get better, but my head isn't buried in the sand.

Some are in denial of Covid.  It's just the flu after all. Others are in denial in the fact that cruises are a long way off from starting. They aren't starting tomorrow, even if a test cruise happened today.  

However, with case counts going down on land things are starting to look better. Vaccines have helped for sure for those willing to take them.  Others are being cautious in their actions and reducing the risk of infection. As for the deniers, some of them will have had covid and joined the ranks of herd immunity, along with others that had no intention of joining that club.

As things look better on land, the chances of getting to sea improve as well.  Get the one in order and the other will follow, even with Covid deniers going about their way. More positive/good things have happened since mid December regarding the pandemic, even with the new strains. 

Besides, all predictions are based on what the facts are at any given moment, and could change-for better or for worse.

That's why my approach is the wait and see.  Regarding cruises, there has been a lot of waiting and little to no seeing.  I'm looking forward to more seaing 😉 and less waiting.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, orville99 said:

It is what it is; it will be what it will be; and it will be over when it is over. The best way not to cry over spilt milk is to avoid buying milk.

Does oat or almond milk count?  😉

I actually got two almond milk and four oat milk yesterday.  But, I also bought a 1/2 gallon of cow's milk.

I think this means my June and July 2021 cruises are in jeopardy.  

Since prices have gone up significantly, I'll see what my Lift & Shift options are.  A FCC is not worth it to me if it doesn't cover the cost of a similar replacement cruise.

• Like 1