Alaska Cruises Cancelled for 2021

jhannah

Just learned that Holland America (and Princess) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be are doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.

Edited by jhannah

As i understood it from the HAL blog, only cruises sailing to or from Canadian ports are currently cancelled. While its likely that because of the PSVA all others will eventually get axed, the blog states that HAL is working with the US and Canadian governments to address the issue. 

51 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I read that only the ones sailing to or from a Canadian port have been cancelled.  So the cruises to/from Seattle are still on schedule (for now.)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/impacted-cruises.html

21 minutes ago, Unlvswezel said:

As i understood it from the HAL blog, only cruises sailing to or from Canadian ports are currently cancelled. While its likely that because of the PSVA all others will eventually get axed, the blog states that HAL is working with the US and Canadian governments to address the issue. 

Absolutely correct 

7F216ABD-8633-4B48-BD26-C4A9987247A4.jpeg.2c573235faefdacb5cdfb38eb2623f95.jpeg

Looks like we are going to have a lot of Alaska threads on the boards.

@jhannahUnder the current circumstances, Canada didn’t have a lot of choice.  If things improve, the order may be cancelled but there is a ways to go before that happens, sadly.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jhannah said:

Just learned that Holland America (and Princess) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be are doing this! 

Canada is not “doing this,” an American statute is doing this.  Canada is acting to protect its citizens from a deadly virus. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jhannah said:

Just learned that Holland America (and Princess) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be are doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.

There are no cruises from Florida, NY, Texas, and California. Do you also blame Canada for that?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jhannah said:

Good grief, you make it sound like the Canadian government is deliberately hurting people. These ports are Canadian and the government has every right - and responsibility - to protect Canadians.  The rate of COVID-19 infection and the death rate in Canada are considerably less than many other countries, including the U.S. and the U.K.

Remember, the ban on cruise ships is not absolute. There is the provision that it can be lifted earlier depending on the pandemic. I appreciate cruise lines can't wait an indefinite time to decide what to do with their ships in summer and autumn.  There is no simple solution to this complex issue.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Good grief, you make it sound like the Canadian government is deliberately hurting people. These ports are Canadian and the government has every right - and responsibility - to protect Canadians.  The rate of COVID-19 infection and the death rate in Canada are considerably less than many other countries, including the U.S. and the U.K.

Absolutely right.

IMHO, most Canadians support the tough measures taken by the Canadian governments. The blame belongs to the people who get themselves infected, and infect others.

I'm alarmed by the casualties in some jurisdictions. Once covid is equally under control, borders can reopen. Cruises can sail again.

To remove any doubt, you can check the chart to identify your jurisdiction...

BC deaths per capita comparison Feb 11.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Absolutely right.

IMHO, most Canadians support the tough measures taken by the Canadian governments. The blame belongs to the people who get themselves infected, and infect others.

I'm alarmed by the casualties in some jurisdictions. Once covid is equally under control, borders can reopen. Cruises can sail again.

Another little inconvenient fact is that we (the US) have about 4% of the worlds population, yet account for over 20% of the worlds deaths from Covid.  That says a ton about how our government mishandled the epidemic early on. 

I don't blame Canada one bit for doing what they can to protect their citizens.  

I'm looking forward to getting back on a cruise ship and being spoiled, and were booked for an Alaska cruise on HAL in June.  I've already rescheduled that for 2022 since I don't see it happening this year.  As much as I want to get back to cruising, I can wait a bit longer until I know we can all do it safely.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Absolutely right.

BC deaths per capita comparison Feb 11.JPG

So Quebec has a higher death rate than California?  Everyone is freaking out here in California.  I thought things were better in Canada.

2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

So Quebec has a higher death rate than California?  Everyone is freaking out here in California.  I thought things were better in Canada.

A bit surprising to me as well.  I bet California has a higher # of cases per million.

4 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

A bit surprising to me as well.  I bet California has a higher # of cases per million.

Median age in Québéc is nearly 42 years, while California's median is 37.  The 5 years must make a difference.

10 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

8 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Yes, Quebec has major problems with covid.  It has nearly 3 times the deaths that Ontario has despite being a much smaller province population wise.

Quebec has a different culture from the rest of Canada.  Many Quebecois did not want restrictive rules and give up their lifestyle and their premier was slow to enact some of the regulations needed and quicker to re-open.

Here is an article from the Montreal Gazette in October which helps to explain a bit - https://montrealgazette.com/news/quebec/why-does-quebec-have-more-covid-19-cases-than-ontario

It’s one of the reasons New Brunswick quickly closed it’s borders to western Canada.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes, Quebec has major problems with covid.  It has nearly 3 times the deaths that Ontario has despite being a much smaller province population wise.

Quebec has a different culture from the rest of Canada.  Many Quebecois did not want restrictive rules and give up their lifestyle and their premier was slow to enact some of the regulations needed and quicker to re-open.

Here is an article from the Montreal Gazette in October which helps to explain a bit - https://montrealgazette.com/news/quebec/why-does-quebec-have-more-covid-19-cases-than-ontario

It’s one of the reasons New Brunswick quickly closed it’s borders to western Canada.  

This is so wrong, derogatory and grossly outdated that it’s not worth the time nor effort to correct or put in perspective.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

The numbers don't lie. Nonetheless, the current situation has changed.

IN the last 14 days, the number of cases per capita for ON, QC and BC are similar!

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/dashboard/?stat=num&measure=total_last14&map=pt&f=true#a2

This convergence reflects an emerging consensus among Canadians about covid. We are uniting in our desire to defeat covid, and to seal the borders. That makes us different from our neighbours.

Attitudes are hardening. As seen in this case...

"CEO of Canada's top pension fund resigns after getting Covid-19 shot abroad"

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/26/canada-pension-ceo-resigns-covid-vaccine-471736

What is it about the covid numbers that people do not seem to understand or want to comprehend????  Either in their own location or in other parts of the world. 

Simply because a person happens to have been fortunate enough to get both covid vaccinations does not mean that worldwide cruising will start up next month or even in the next 90 days.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1