Technical Stop Only requested in Canada 2/25/21

Ombud

On 3/4/2021 at 9:22 AM, beg3yrs said:

Well that's true if the proposal is partisan. The current minority party has been known as pro-business so there may be some votes to be obtained on that side as getting the ships moving into American ports is good for American business.

The two GOP Senators would vote for it I assume.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:11 PM, Lady Arwen said:

I just want to point out that Chengkp75 is a maritime expert and has an extensive working knowledge of cruiseships and maritime law that is remarkably advanced over anyone here on cc.  If he says it, then you can take it to the bank.  We’re  very fortunate to have him as a contributor on these boards.

I am skeptical of “experts” myself

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Very interesting webinar.

One question I have never seen answered is why were the Baltic cruises moved from starting in Copenhagen to starting in Southampton in the first place?

Do yopu know the answer?

I don't know the answer but we had a cruise affected by that decision.  We were scheduled to do the Baltic itinerary from Copenhagen.  All we were told was that it was cancelled due to "deployment changes".  Following the change to Southampton, we switched to the British Isles as doing the Baltic from there just wasn't the same.  Too many port days and not all of the ports we wanted to re-visit.  I was thinking at the time that perhaps they were trying to consolidate cruises to fewer embarkation ports and have fewer ships running initially but who knows.  It's moot at this point as even the Southampton cruises have been cancelled.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

When did that happen? Are there no more that start in Copenhagen? Ours did, but that was back in 2007 (Star Princess.)

It was just this year. Next year they have them from Copenhagen again.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@chengkp75has the PVSA ever been granted a temporary modification before?  If requested and granted, under what circumstances?

The only exemptions granted that I know of are for the US built clause, in a couple of cases, passed by Congress, not to drop the foreign port call requirement.  There have been waivers of the fines, for "force majeure", or situations outside the cruise lines' control (weather, mechanical failure, death or illness of passenger, etc).  Puerto Rico and the USVI are granted exemptions to the PVSA, until such time as a US flag carrier provides transportation to/from those islands.  There are a couple of small ferries between US and Canada that allow Canadian flag ships to do these routes, again until a US flag carrier becomes available.

So, yes, there have been some limited exemptions granted, but not one like this.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The only exemptions granted that I know of are for the US built clause, in a couple of cases, passed by Congress, not to drop the foreign port call requirement.  There have been waivers of the fines, for "force majeure", or situations outside the cruise lines' control (weather, mechanical failure, death or illness of passenger, etc).  Puerto Rico and the USVI are granted exemptions to the PVSA, until such time as a US flag carrier provides transportation to/from those islands.  There are a couple of small ferries between US and Canada that allow Canadian flag ships to do these routes, again until a US flag carrier becomes available.

So, yes, there have been some limited exemptions granted, but not one like this.

I recall reading in the past  about a fine for violating the terms of the PVSA. (Particularly related to the between two different US ports rules). Is it a waiver or a punitive fine?

23 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I recall reading in the past  about a fine for violating the terms of the PVSA. (Particularly related to the between two different US ports rules). Is it a waiver or a punitive fine?

The fine is levied against the cruise line for taking a passenger on a prohibited voyage.  The cruise lines have language in the ticket contract that says you give them the right to pass the fine on to you.  The fine is currently $762/person.  It can be waived, as noted, in cases of force majeure, or where the passenger has died or is evacuated medically at a prohibited port.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The fine is levied against the cruise line for taking a passenger on a prohibited voyage.  The cruise lines have language in the ticket contract that says you give them the right to pass the fine on to you.  The fine is currently $762/person.  It can be waived, as noted, in cases of force majeure, or where the passenger has died or is evacuated medically at a prohibited port.

And it will not be waived when it is scheduled as those who think you can just break the law without consequences because Alaskan cruises are the most important thing in the world would have us believe.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 12:44 AM, caribill said:

Anyway to get the link to hear it live next week?

I just noticed that there WILL be another call this Thursday at noon PST.  The link will appear just before the call and will be on both FB and John's You Tube channel.  If you want to listen live just go to his FB page a few minutes before the start and the link should be there John Chernesky | Facebook

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And it will not be waived when it is scheduled as those who think you can just break the law without consequences because Alaskan cruises are the most important thing in the world would have us believe.

That is so true how people like some rules to apply to others but not themselves.....with all that is going on in the world some how a cruise to Alaska is the most important event that absolutely must happen at all costs in some people's world!! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Potstech said:

Infer all you want that does not make it a fact.

Well that's certainly an attribute of an inference. I still find your post humorous and, maybe a bit ironic! Thanks again for the chuckle.

• Haha 1