Purchase bottled liquor on board

MSPCUBS

I know you can purchase bottle liquor on board to use in your stateroom, BUT, is there a place on the Princess website where you can see what liquor is available to purchase?  Can that list be looked at before booking a cruise?

Also, is there a list of the liquor that the bars on the ship carry?

Thank you.  Trying to figure out whether we want to book the Best Sale Ever or just the basic and buy the liquor by the bottle once on board the ship.

29 minutes ago, MSPCUBS said:

I know you can purchase bottle liquor on board to use in your stateroom, BUT, is there a place on the Princess website where you can see what liquor is available to purchase?  Can that list be looked at before booking a cruise?

Thank you.  Trying to figure out whether we want to book the Best Sale Ever or just the basic and buy the liquor by the bottle once on board the ship.

You can purchase precruise, but it won’t be available for purchase on line for a few months prior to sailing.  You can find it in “beverage packages” within Manage Your Cruise.  Sometimes you just have to go into your booking on a regular basis to check if it’s popped up.  You can also order onboard to have it delivered to your cabin.  I prefer to do it online.  The list is quite extensive and offers most brands.  We usually get the Beverage package, so we haven’t had a need to do this for a few years.

I searched on my 2022 bookings. I don't see any spirits available for pre-cruise purchase. Only wines. You can purchase on board by calling room service. Note that the bottle size is 375ml, half the size of a standard bottle of spirits and roughly equal in price to a 750ml bottle. The selection is also limited. If you look at post #13 in the referenced attachment you can see the available spirits & pricing from 2018. Ships carry a wide selection of spirits at their bars. If you mention what you are looking for someone on these boards will have the answer. The best sale ever is a good promo. Since "cubs" is in your name I'm guessing you are from the U.S./Canada. The additional is $40/pp/day for the Premier Beverage Package, wi-fi, daily gratuities, plus a cabin upgrade and specialty dining. You pay the gratuity, approx. $15/pp/day, no matter if you book the promo or book the no frills fare. This leaves the real net cost of $25/pp/day. If you do not receive free wi-fi that can be another cost you would have to pay with the no frills fare. $25 is two to three alcoholic drinks per person per day up to a total of 15 alcoholic drinks per day. Two to three alcoholic drinks plus some soft drinks, water, specialty coffees etc. and you break even.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I searched on my 2022 bookings. I don't see any spirits available for pre-cruise purchase. Only wines. You can purchase on board by calling room service. Note that the bottle size is 375ml, half the size of a standard bottle of spirits and roughly equal in price to a 750ml bottle. The selection is also limited. If you look at post #13 in the referenced attachment you can see the available spirits & pricing from 2018. Ships carry a wide selection of spirits at their bars. If you mention what you are looking for someone on these boards will have the answer. The best sale ever is a good promo. Since "cubs" is in your name I'm guessing you are from the U.S./Canada. The additional is $40/pp/day for the Premier Beverage Package, wi-fi, daily gratuities, plus a cabin upgrade and specialty dining. You pay the gratuity, approx. $15/pp/day, no matter if you book the promo or book the no frills fare. This leaves the real net cost of $25/pp/day. If you do not receive free wi-fi that can be another cost you would have to pay with the no frills fare. $25 is two to three alcoholic drinks per person per day up to a total of 15 alcoholic drinks per day. Two to three alcoholic drinks plus some soft drinks, water, specialty coffees etc. and you break even.

Usually not available online til less than one year prior.  Might even be six months. Yes, only the small bottles are available for purchase.  We used to buy a couple because the Canadian price with Princess is about what we pay at home.  For us it was a great deal.  Now, we usually have the bev package.

4 hours ago, MSPCUBS said:

The list of cabin delivery spirits is hidden pretty well on Princess.com. First log onto your cruise at Princess.com. I wasn't able to see everything I wanted without logging myself on to the web page and selecting my cruise.

Here's the place to start: https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

Then look for "Princess Cellars" on that page.  Wines, then spirits will be listed along with their prices. The selection is very limited. Usually they have 2 or maybe 3 different choices; as an example; their scotch whiskey: Cutty Sark or Johnny Walker Red. (Ugh for either!🤢).

The last time I cruised one could either order pre-cruise or after the cruise started. The bottles are small, and if memory serves, they will only deliver one bottle to you per day. It's worth asking cabin service (aka room service/guest service, etc) the day you board if you wait. We always pre-order and call guest services once we enter our cabin. If you wait another couple of hours you may not see your booze until the following day......

You will have to do some searching to find a list of what liquors the bars have; it is MUCH more inclusive that the links above.

Doug

3 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

as an example; their scotch whiskey: Cutty Sark or Johnny Walker Red. (Ugh for either!🤢).

yep, the bars have a very decent selection of 12 year old single malts that are included in the 'beverage package'

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

at least Pre-Corona - you could buy a 750 in the duty free shop on board, and it would be delivered to your cabin on the last day of the cruise

j/s 😉

If I'm not mistaken, people have used this to their advantage by purchasing a bottle onboard during the first segment of a B2B and it's delivered to their cabin at the end of that segment so it's available in the cabin during the second segment. (If this is not correct I hope someone will set me straight.)

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If I'm not mistaken, people have used this to their advantage by purchasing a bottle onboard during the first segment of a B2B and it's delivered to their cabin at the end of that segment so it's available in the cabin during the second segment. (If this is not correct I hope someone will set me straight.)

It is correct sometime. 

Here's a listing of what is available.  Notice that they only sell 350ml bottles.  That's about 1 1/2 cups. That's 6 to 8 shots.

Spirits

Spirits Courvoisier VSOP $33.04
Courvoisier VSOP
350ml Cognac      

Spirits Jim Beam $17.70
Jim Beam
375ml Bourbon

Spirits Crown Royal $23.60
Crown Royal
375ml Bourbon

Spirits Jack Daniel's $28.32
Jack Daniel's
375ml Bourbon

Spirits Cutty Sark $17.70
Cutty Sark
350ml Scotch

Spirits Johnnie Walker Red Label $25.96
Johnnie Walker Red Label
375ml Scotch

Spirits Skyy $17.70
Skyy
375ml Vodka

Spirits Absolut $21.24
Absolut
375ml Vodka

Spirits Bacardi White $17.70
Bacardi White
375ml Rum

Spirits Cruzan Coconut $17.70
Cruzan Coconut
375ml Rum

Spirits Gordon's $17.70
Gordon's
375ml Gin

Spirits Bombay Sapphire $23.60
Bombay Sapphire
375ml Gin

On 3/16/2021 at 11:36 AM, nini said:

I thought that you could not do this anymore? My Aunt did this about 22 years ago on a RCL cruise.

Some cruise lines have that option, others don't.  NCL is the worse about it.  They don't allow anything to be brought on board or to be purchased for the cabin.  All cruise lines have their alcohol and other liquids (water, soda) policies posted on their FAQ's.

13 hours ago, restasured said:

Some cruise lines have that option, others don't.  NCL is the worse about it.  They don't allow anything to be brought on board or to be purchased for the cabin.  All cruise lines have their alcohol and other liquids (water, soda) policies posted on their FAQ's.

Yes, I realize that. And it looks that I will most likely never be cruising with NCL.

7 hours ago, nini said:

Yes, I realize that. And it looks that I will most likely never be cruising with NCL.

Same here. Did it once. They even have a sign at each port saying no drinks allowed. Not even the water bottle in your hand. 

On 3/17/2021 at 9:27 PM, restasured said:

CCL (when I was on them several years ago) only allowed soda in cans at embarkation and opened a 12 pack in the terminal to make sure all the cans were soda.

No bottled water either. In fact, if you took a CCL bottle of water off the ship in a port, you could not bring it back onto the ship. They had a trash bucket right before the X-ray machine that was filled with empty water bottles from passengers returning to the ship.

And where Princess delivers purchased bottles of alcohol to your cabin the last day of the cruise, CCL makes you line up on disembarkation day morning to pick up your bottles.