New indicator Vaccines Will Be Mandatory

marieps

We know RCG and NCLH have been working in lockstep.  NCLH held a webinar with its top TAs yesterday.  Someone privy to the content posted on the O board that NCLH will require crew and guests to be vaccinated upon restart.  I have to think RCG will follow this path.

• Like 4

I can see Celebrity or Princess making the vaccine a requirement, but NCL and Royal have a lot of families that cruise.  Right now under 16 cannot get the vaccine.  That would remove a large portion of their customer base.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I can see Celebrity or Princess making the vaccine a requirement, but NCL and Royal have a lot of families that cruise.  Right now under 16 cannot get the vaccine.  That would remove a large portion of their customer base.

While families are important to Royal if mandating vaccine persuades CDC to allow earlier restart they will jump at it.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

But only since two days ago. I'm still having a hard time finding an open slot anywhere.

I live in Peachtree City, my Wife and I are driving to Macon on Tuesday for our appointment..an hour+ away, but they had an opening, ironically, we were supposed to depart on The Edge this coming weekend.  😞

33 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I have not seen any indication vaccines would be a long term or permanent requirement. Various travel industry trade groups actually oppose making it a permanent requirement. But as a stop gap measure, it helps the more family oriented lines naturally restrict capacity a bit too. The reality is not everyone is going to have to the same opportunity to get on a ship all at once. If they feel like they can safely operate and not lose a ton of money doing it, they're going to sail wherever they can. 

1 hour ago, dallasdan said:

I'm sure children would be exempted, as would anyone who was allergic to the vax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marieps said:

I'm sure children would be exempted, as would anyone who was allergic to the vax.

Maybe true about young children.....not so sure about those allergic, I believe the only provision on taking the vaccine right now is that people who have to carry an Epi-pen for allergic reaction should avoid the Phizer vaccine.  I don't think that's true for the J & J one, but not sure.

45 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Maybe true about young children.....not so sure about those allergic, I believe the only provision on taking the vaccine right now is that people who have to carry an Epi-pen for allergic reaction should avoid the Phizer vaccine.  I don't think that's true for the J & J one, but not sure.

There was an Epi-pen question on my application for a Pfizer jab.  Didn't know that was a non-starter.

56 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Would make me very happy if vaccines were required of everyone on board.

I agree at least until January 2023.  No matter the age. We've both had both Pfizer shots and are card carrying members. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Even the most allergic passengers can get one of the three vaccines.    Health care workers who had allergies requiring an Epi Pen did receive the Pfizer vaccine but were under medical supervision.    Anyone who doesn’t want to take the vaccine should stay off ships and planes.   It’s probably better if they forego travel until things return to normal.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marieps said:

Sorry, but I really hope children are not exempt.  They can be asymptomatic carriers and pass the virus on without even knowing.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Even the most allergic passengers can get one of the three vaccines.    Health care workers who had allergies requiring an Epi Pen did receive the Pfizer vaccine but were under medical supervision.    Anyone who doesn’t want to take the vaccine should stay off ships and planes.   It’s probably better if they forego travel until things return to normal.

Agreed 10000000%.  People need to realize that traveling is a privilege and not a right.  I know we can get back to traveling and cruising before this year is up IF people just get frikkin' vaccinated.  Heck, we can get back a lot of things by July.

So whenever I see people use the "oh I'm allergic" excuse, we all know they're not.  They just don't want to be a responsible human being.  There are 3 different types of vaccines out there (just 2 in the US for now), with more on the way.  The odds of anyone being allergic to one of those is basically the same as winning the lottery while being struck by lightning while getting a hole in one on a par 5.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But only since two days ago. I'm still having a hard time finding an open slot anywhere.

I my area, info is not easy to find.  But county health depts. are giving shots, and you sign up online.  Every time I check, there is availability.  My niece was pessimistic about getting hers before May.  She lives with us, two vaxed seniors.  I checked our county website, and there was a place to sign up for a waitlist for end of day extra doses.  Those in open vials that had to be used or discarded.  Only requirement was to be no more than 30 minutes from the site.  We are five min.  I signed her up on Monday last week, and on Monday this week she got the call.  She has an appt. for second dose 4/15 - her birthday.    So I suggest people look for those waitlists...

EM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, zook50 said:

Sorry, but I really hope children are not exempt.  They can be asymptomatic carriers and pass the virus on without even knowing.

No need to apologize.  Nothing is my statement advocated for such a policy, I simply stated the opinion that children would be exempted.  Just an opinion, not a hope or want.

Sorry if I am off topic slightly, but for those in GA having a tough time getting appointments you might want to register on the Curogram site: (hope it's ok to post this link)

https://hm3j3tvu6ibwbxnggni6afacqq-adwhj77lcyoafdy-curogram-com.translate.goog/registrations/603e2efb88893cb723a0abb1?fbclid=IwAR1tsl92XGGS9HBTbbHleJCNIdp-ImGIM8EvgYlFe08oYkxXzRdNxmVfFbQ

4 hours ago, dallasdan said:

Being able to cruise passengers from a smaller customer base is far better for the cruise lines than not cruising at all.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I believe the only provision on taking the vaccine right now is that people who have to carry an Epi-pen for allergic reaction should avoid the Phizer vaccine.

Only If you have had a severe allergic reaction or an immediate allergic reaction—even if it was not severe—to any ingredient in an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, you should not get either of the currently available mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna). https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/specific-groups/allergies.html

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

ITA. One of my daughters has an undiagnosed auto immune disorder.  She has had some horrendous reactions to IVs, vaccines and meds— yet was still advised to be vaccinated.  Those doing vaccines are able to deal with possible immediate issues.  She has been fully vaccinated, thank god. 
AND she had minor, minor side effects.  
Vaccines are a good thing and I am sooooooo thankful. (Said as a professional health care worker)

• Like 5

It seems like more and more lines are coming forth with that requirement. Now Virgin, P&O....

The T&C for P&O state that passengers will need to show proof of 2 💉 the 2nd at least one week ago, but it says that crew will be continuously be tested, it doesn’t say they have to be vaccinated.
I stopped reading the itineraries then, not interested if not everyone on board hasn’t been vaccinated.

22 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

Only If you have had a severe allergic reaction or an immediate allergic reaction—even if it was not severe—to any ingredient in an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, you should not get either of the currently available mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna). https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/specific-groups/allergies.html

The next part of that statement says the same thing about the J & J vaccine.  So I guess you would need to find out EXACTLY what's in each vaccine before taking it.  I don't know any who have done that.