CDC Level 4 Countries

Woobstr112G

Not quite all, there are quite a few islands in the Caribbean in the other categories.  St. Maarten is one that RCI will be sailing from and they are in the third category.  The situation still isn't optimal for traveling just yet sad to say.

17 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

What a coincidence that the islands the cruise ships serve are  rated 4. The CDC strikes again.

It's not as if the CDC is specifically targeting islands served by cruise ships.  I mean, if you look at the map, there are nearly 150 countries accounting for most of the world that are currently rated as Level 4.  That includes, all of Europe, Canada, and most of Latin America.  The advice is basically: now is not a good time for international travel.  I would tend to agree!

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

It's not as if the CDC is specifically targeting islands served by cruise ships.  I mean, if you look at the map, there are nearly 150 countries accounting for most of the world that are currently rated as Level 4.  That includes, all of Europe, Canada, and most of Latin America.  The advice is basically: now is not a good time for international travel.  I would tend to agree!

Yep, it’s many countries,  not just the Caribbean.  My hopeful summer  plans include  3 countries on that  list which are not in the Caribbean.  

??? They have Israel and the UK as level 4 - They both have a less than 1% infection rate, and lead the WORLD in vaccination rates. (??????)

Leads me to wonder how recent or how accurate these CDC lists truly are ?

• Like 12

Have a friend that lives part time in Jamaica and he says in the town where he stays when in Jamaica out of around 1100 people he and a few government officials are the only ones vaccinated.  He was vaccinated when he was home in Virginia.

21 minutes ago, srpilo said:

??? They have Israel and the UK as level 4 - They both have a less than 1% infection rate, and lead the WORLD in vaccination rates. (??????)

Leads me to wonder how recent or how accurate these CDC lists truly are ?

The CDC lists are accurate enough and not based on the criteria you identified.  The UK has been bumping along at about 45 cases per million (4.5 cases per 100,000) for last 28 days.  So, they have just over 100 cases per 100,000 over the trailing 28 day period.... just enough to put them in Level 4.  Other countries, like Canada, would be at Level 21 or so right now but the CDC hasn’t bothered going there....

9A9EE6D7-5AEC-4B83-998D-2DA5777DA082.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html

Seems like the CDC has rated all of the Caribbean countries, that cruise lines said they were going to sail to, as Level 4 “Do Not Visit” locations.  I wonder if airline bans are next.....

Even if Covid-19 infections are becoming less of a problem where you live, that is not true around the globe.

Last week saw the highest number of new infections worldwide for any week since the pandemic began. Let's face it, it is not very safe regarding Covid-19 in many areas of the world.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/europe/who-global-covid-cases-rise-intl/index.html

In India it is so bad that in some hospitals Covid-19 patients must share a bed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-india-hospital/two-to-a-bed-in-delhi-hospital-as-indias-covid-crisis-spirals-idINKBN2C21OT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, deliver42 said:

What a coincidence that the islands the cruise ships serve are  rated 4. The CDC strikes again.

While it's probably NOT the case, but it sure feels like the CDC is making sure cruising won't come back any time soon.  As I said elsewhere, it feels like a rebuttal to the cruise lines' demands to restart.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, d9704011 said:

The CDC lists are accurate enough and not based on the criteria you identified.  The UK has been bumping along at about 45 cases per million (4.5 cases per 100,000) for last 28 days.  So, they have just over 100 cases per 100,000 over the trailing 28 day period.... just enough to put them in Level 4.  Other countries, like Canada, would be at Level 21 or so right now but the CDC hasn’t bothered going there....

9A9EE6D7-5AEC-4B83-998D-2DA5777DA082.png

We shouldn't travel to the US then, their incidence rate is extremely high.

(Note the sarcasm, please.)

• Like 1

Daughter leaves for UK on Sunday. If the CDC has given UK a level 4 then her travel insurance will be void. Just great!!!

She has to jump through enough hoops as it is and she is fully vaccinated!  

Test before she goes--2 tests in the UK while in a 10 day quarantine 

Test before she returns home!  All adding another $300.00 to her trip cost!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Daughter leaves for UK on Sunday. If the CDC has given UK a level 4 then her travel insurance will be void. Just great!!!

She has to jump through enough hoops as it is and she is fully vaccinated!  

Test before she goes--2 tests in the UK while in a 10 day quarantine 

Test before she returns home!  All adding another $300.00 to her trip cost!

I’d seriously consider canceling my plans if I were facing those travel circumstances.

• Like 1

Just now, d9704011 said:

I’d seriously consider canceling my plans if I were facing those travel circumstances.

Unfortunately it is not for fun. She has to visit with her 99 yr old Grandmother who is not well. Daughter has not been able to see her in almost 2 years thanks to Mr. Covid!  She needs to be there. I went in Feb myself. I was lucky that the mandated  2 tests while in quarantine did not start till the day after I returned from my Dad's funeral. It has not been a good start to 2021 for my family.

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

self-quarantine ? monitored ?

Self if from USA. If from a list of UK determined RED countries then it requires a 10 day monitored quarantined hotel stay plus the tests! At a cost of $1200.00.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Self if from USA. If from a list of UK determined RED countries then it requires a 10 day monitored quarantined hotel stay plus the tests! At a cost of $1200.00.

Prince Harry did 5 day in UK, reduced for certain reason. Does that apply to your daughter?

3 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

We shouldn't travel to the US then, their incidence rate is extremely high.

(Note the sarcasm, please.)

No we should not. Nor should we be widely traveling inside the US at current case counts.

Funny thing is while intended to be sarcastic it was valid.

• Like 6

More stuff you can't make up. They're actually telling people fleeing from a volcanic eruption to be careful of Covid on cruise ships (even though they're basing that on info from last spring)....

Read the portion highlighted in blue. I can't even believe the irony here... 🤷‍♂️

Robert Wellman (@robwellman48) | Twitter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, deliver42 said:

No, it's not some nefarious plot by the CDC.  Most of the islands rated a Level 4 have been at that rating for some time.  In that regard it is nothing new.

I posted this elsewhere, but here are the incidence rates:  LINK

IMO, it's impossible to get below 100 cases per 100,000 for the majority of countries.  It will never be that way.  Covid is here to stay, we just need to be vaccinated to help slow the spread.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

More stuff you can't make up. They're actually telling people fleeing from a volcanic eruption to be careful of Covid on cruise ships (even though they're basing that on info from last spring)....

Read the portion highlighted in blue. I can't even believe the irony here... 🤷‍♂️

Robert Wellman (@robwellman48) | Twitter

Some people just like to stir the pot.  This alert was issued a week ago and had everything to do with putting people on notice of the CDC guidance regarding cruise ships, including testing and quarantine recommendations.  The recommendations were included by the embassy for butt-covering purposes, as would be done by any government agency.  

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dog said:

Prince Harry did 5 day in UK, reduced for certain reason. Does that apply to your daughter?

He should have had to quarantine like everyone else. He could get special permission to attend the funeral as I did in Feb. Then he should have immediately returned to his quarantine. We even had to have a virtual wake!!

The 5 day early release is available but the rules make it not too much help. The two tests still have to be administered on day 2 and day 8 so another is added at day 5 if you so chose. The only advantage is in being released at day 7 (after the 5 day results have come back negative) instead of day 10. As it costs another $100.00 for the extra test it is only worth it if you need to move on earlier. In my Daughter's case she is there to spend time with her Grandmother who is a shut in any way so the 10 days is okay for her.

It is complicated and costly. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

I posted this elsewhere, but here are the incidence rates:  LINK

IMO, it's impossible to get below 100 cases per 100,000 for the majority of countries.  It will never be that way.  Covid is here to stay, we just need to be vaccinated to help slow the spread.  

Current infection rate in the UK is 24.3 per 100, 000, and the UK tests more people than most countries. 

I am totally bemused why the US has put the UK on the "red" list, when cases in the US are far higher than in the UK. 

• Like 3