Medallion App Updated and Working Now

HBCcruiser

6 hours ago, PAMJP said:

Well My iPad updated the app overnight, thought great Everything sorted now! No such luck, opened up app asked me to log in to access either using email or booking number. Tried both but just whirled around and around, still can’t get anywhere. I”ll give it another go later I think as perhaps as it’s 08.03 in U.K. perhaps still asleep!

Same thing happening to me. Everything was going good , no problems at all until today . I will try later .

I booked my Dine My Way yesterday with the times I wanted.  Today, can’t even log in.  I did Forget Password, received an email to reset and even that didn’t work, just shows a lot of letters.

Hope I have not lost my times

This is farcical, what is the official response from Princess. I can see IT Support might say 'We are working on it' but has there been a more official comment from Princess. Do they mention problems in the Webinar ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Where did you see that?  I don't see it at all.  There's a step 5 Health Status that is greyed out but I don't see anything about the contract or risk agreement.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I cannot get into the app this morning (using either my login or the booking number method) and I do not remember specifically where in the app that contract and Covid-19 section was. Unless someone beats me to it first, I'll get back to you once I'm able to login to the app.... assuming that happens sometime soon. ☹️

I haven't been able to log into the nomal princess.com website for over a month now (other than using my booking number, first/last name and DOB).  Now, I can't login to the medallion app.  🙃

The whole situation is unbelievable.  To me it's truly mind-boggling that a company this size has such an incompetent IT department.  What does this say about their CIO and I wonder what he/she is doing to try and rectify? 

I'm at a loss for words... 😐

Edit:  I guess I do have one more thing to say.  Perhaps the mods should consider modifying the title for this thread.  😁

Edited by 4hunters
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Perhaps a joke, but overly dramatic on bringing the grandchild and their phone to the pier.  The BP info can be printed off, but you really do not need a BP anymore as they have it all in their system. 

Actually it can no longer be printed.  Right after final payment for our upcoming Alaska cruise earlier this week I did download the passes.  Yesterday when I went to download a new Travel Summary the passes were gone with a statement that you must use the MC app at embarkation.  Would provide a screen shot but they are having "Technical Difficulties" again and I can't log in.  Will post it later when / if the site comes back.  And by the way I don't recall this being mentioned as of yet but it's in line with them wanting us to use a Smart device for everything.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Has anyone been able to book a boarding time yet ? - that is our main concern at this time in that we won't be able to get our preferred boarding time anymore just by showing up at the pier around 10:00 am or so ... don't really mind waiting around if we know we are in the building and be among the first groups to board based on circle status and time arrived

Nope.  I'm still in the Blue lane despite the fact that the app shows that there isn't anything missing.  Although I couldn't see the passage contract nor the risk assessment statement when I was last able to get in - perhaps that is the hold up?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I cannot get into the app this morning (using either my login or the booking number method) and I do not remember specifically where in the app that contract and Covid-19 section was. Unless someone beats me to it first, I'll get back to you once I'm able to login to the app.... assuming that happens sometime soon. ☹️

No need to apologize but I appreciate your efforts!  Both the website and app log ins are down.  I can only hope that they are taking this time to fix the problems. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Yesterday when I went to download a new Travel Summary the passes were gone with a statement that you must use the MC app at embarkation.

Hey Suzi - remember when you helped me book my cruise with your iphone ? - well, how do you feel about letting me borrow it for a couple of weeks so I can actually board the ship ?  Suzi, Suzi ?? guess we got disconnected ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, c-boy said:

solar flares and the Russians at it again :classic_rolleyes:

imagine the 'ransomware' hijackers getting into the Princess MC app ... " we spent 8 days getting into this piece of __________ !!😈

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Perhaps a joke, but overly dramatic on bringing the grandchild and their phone to the pier.  The BP info can be printed off, but you really do not need a BP anymore as they have it all in their system. 

They are eliminating the option to print a boarding pass per a post that showed you need to use the app.

Although you do not need a BP to actually check in, in the past you have needed one to allow you to show security to get permission to enter the building where you check-in.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

This is farcical, what is the official response from Princess. I can see IT Support might say 'We are working on it' but has there been a more official comment from Princess. Do they mention problems in the Webinar ?

No. Everything about the app is perfect and wonderful in the webinar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, 4hunters said:

The whole situation is unbelievable.  To me it's truly mind-boggling that a company this size has such an incompetent IT department.  What does this say about their CIO and I wonder what he/she is doing to try and rectify? 

Per a number of other posts, Princess has outsourced their main IT work to an on outside company.

This rarely results in improved software or lower costs as the programmers in the outside company have no stake in the success of Princess/CCL Corp.

My experience in the real world is that the more buggy the software is, the more money the outside company gets to fix their own errors. Contracts are usually not fixed price, but are for the number of hours put in. And when they are fixed price, any modification to the specs results in a big increase the price of the contract.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, caribill said:

Per a number of other posts, Princess has outsourced their main IT work to an on outside company.

This rarely results in improved software or lower costs as the programmers in the outside company have no stake in the success of Princess/CCL Corp.

My experience in the real world is that the more buggy the software is, the more money the outside company gets to fix their own errors. Contracts are usually not fixed price, but are for the number of hours put in. And when they are fixed price, any modification to the specs results in a big increase the price of the contract.

I'm guessing this is true with business systems (application) development type outsourcing of the type we're talking about in this thread. My experience in IT infrastructure operation and support outsourcing is somewhat different in that the contract pricing is fixed and is based on the size and complexity of that infrastructure; strict SLA's are also in play for things like systems availability and meeting new project/application rollouts. Miss an SLA and nasty financial penalties are the result. Apples and oranges, I suppose? 🙂

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

Has anyone been able to book a boarding time yet ? - that is our main concern at this time in that we won't be able to get our preferred boarding time anymore just by showing up at the pier around 10:00 am or so ... don't really mind waiting around if we know we are in the building and be among the first groups to board based on circle status and time arrived

It will be interesting to see how Circle status affects the offers of boarding times.  IIRC, Circle status didn't factor in to the suggested boarding times pre-Covid.  They were just never really enforced before.

53 minutes ago, voljeep said:

imagine the 'ransomware' hijackers getting into the Princess MC app ... " we spent 8 days getting into this piece of __________ !!😈

Although things seem to work ok after the ransom is paid ...maybe Princess IT can put in for a ransomware attack. 😅 

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also can’t get into the app this morning, either through login and password (still haven’t been able to reset it since last night), or booking number. Honestly, any other app that required the amount of time, number of deletions and reinstallations, and complete frustration of this app would have been deleted and forgotten long ago. Can someone help me understand why Princess, which has not had a cruise sail for over 14 months, has waited until now, when people are trying to upload passport and vaccination card scans, sign contracts and forms and choose dining times to  make all of these unsuccessful changes to their app?  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, joepeka said:

My experience in IT infrastructure operation and support outsourcing is somewhat different in that the contract pricing is fixed and is based on the size and complexity of that infrastructure; strict SLA's are also in play for things like systems availability and meeting new project/application rollouts.

I once met a person whose company did contract work for the US Government.

He said he would look at the specs, reword them to show the government he understood them correctly, and then, realizing that what was asked for would never work, submitted a very low bid to do the work.

After obtaining the contract, they would write the software to do exactly what was specified. When it did not work, he showed the government that it exactly matched the specs. He was then requested to make the necessary changes to make the software work. That is when his company made the big bucks.

A fixed-price contract with poor specifications rewards the company who delivers the non-working system on time.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Can someone help me understand why Princess, which has not had a cruise sail for over 14 months, has waited until now, when people are trying to upload passport and vaccination card scans, sign contracts and forms and choose dining times to  make all of these unsuccessful changes to their app?  

The only reason that I can think about is incompetence. 🥴

We’ve waited over a year to resume cruising & yet Princess is forcing us to use the MC app that still hasn’t been perfected during the pauses…not good. Hopefully passengers on the first cruises will have a fully functioning MC app and that after 3 months of cruises our Majestic cruise in Fall 2021 will work smoothly. 🤞

I’m very doubtful that everything will suddenly work as promoted by tomorrow’s Dine My Way launch particularly since so many other MC promises took so long to work…very disappointing.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, caribill said:

I once met a person whose company did contract work for the US Government.

He said he would look at the specs, reword them to show the government he understood them correctly, and then, realizing that what was asked for would never work, submitted a very low bid to do the work.

After obtaining the contract, they would write the software to do exactly what was specified. When it did not work, he showed the government that it exactly matched the specs. He was then requested to make the necessary changes to make the software work. That is when his company made the big bucks.

A fixed-price contract with poor specifications rewards the company who delivers the non-working system on time.

Ohh yes!

i don't think i would want to be one of the employees at the pier checking people in.   Will I be the only one showing up and handing over information to them and saying here you go figure it out?   Hopefully by December things will be better.   

• Like 1

Up until now, I could log into Princess dot com with no problems at all.  Today I’m seeing the same old notification as two weeks ago “We are having technical..blah, blah, blah, try again later”.  Tried numerous times to download the app.  Minimal success, but I could at least sign in.  Could never put in my entire address.  Today, I can’t even sign in with either email or booking number.  I just deleted the app and will try again one day.  So fed up with the incompetence of Princess IT people.  Our cruise is not until May, so we have some time for Princess to get it right.  I feel terrible for those who are sailing on the first cruises next month.  I feel your frustration!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Actually it can no longer be printed. 

Have to think out of the box.  Maybe the travel summary.  A luggage tag - IDK, anything that indicates the cruise.  You don't really need the BP at all.