Who else just got canceled on Majestic to Alaska?

addie19

I got a heartbreaking phone call today that "due to policy changes" I'm no longer able to sail on the August 1st round trip from Seattle to Alaska cruise.

I called back immediately and left message and also sent email now. Waiting on a response. 

Wanna bet it's because they will now not allow kids under 12 (or anyone else) who can't be vaccinated? What else could it be? The rest of my family sailing the same trip didn't get that awful phone call.

My cabin mates include 2 of my kids who are 3 and 5 years old. I guess my fully vaxxed 13yo will be going without us!

I'm so sad. We just paid in full last week! Ugh. 51 days until we were supposed to sail. 

😭😭😭😭

WOW.  Please keep us updated.  If it's because of unvaccinated children there are going to be many more besides you.  Alaska is one of the few Princess cruises that seem to have many children.

Oh my goodness.  And you made final payment for this one already too.  Princess supposedly had the kid counts already sorted out so it will be interesting to hear the reason they give you, and also what they will give you for being bumped IF the decision sticks.  Good luck to you.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 2

So sorry to hear this! Were you already booked or was this a new booking since Alaska was given the green light? I was under the impression that Princess had the kid thing accounted for and would not allow the booking to proceed if they had met their limit. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Celebrity first sailing being touted as 100% vaccinated when, in fact, there were a few kids on the ship? I really hope this all works out for you!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, billco said:

It says on the Princess website “There is no age restriction on this series of cruises to Alaska but guests of all ages must be fully vaccinated. 

Lol. How can guests under 12 be vaccinated, though? There is no age limit, except if you are under 12.

• Like 3

Just a guess:

addie19 had been booked on an Alaska cruise that was cancelled. Along with everyone else on that cruise, bookings were automatically transferred to this Majestic cruise. Originally there was no restriction on the number of unvaccinated passengers.

At some point Princess counted all the kids under 12 and found they had more than the 5% allowed under the new CDC policy.

Some reservations had to be cancelled. I have no idea how they picked which ones to cancel.

This is especially cruel since addie19 was cruising as part of a family group with the rest of the family able to keep the booking.

• Like 4

Honestly I picked that cruise because it said that kids under 12 couldn't go.  Still kids can go from other countries that don't restrict kids from getting vaccinated.  Hopefully they will compensate you to your satisfaction. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trey420 said:

Honestly I picked that cruise because it said that kids under 12 couldn't go.  Still kids can go from other countries that don't restrict kids from getting vaccinated.  Hopefully they will compensate you to your satisfaction. 

agree.  
sorry to OP. 

Yes, it is heartbreaking to be cancelled for lack of vaccination ... but in Princess' defense, they seem to be looking out for everyone's health and safety, particularly that of young people.  In fact, perhaps anything less than 100% vaccinated ought to be reassessed.

Edited by pms4104
  • Like 11

So, it seems that the reason here is the 95% vaccinated policy.

Princess will be going with that policy.

This pandemic, cruising, everything,  all of it is just heartbreaking!!!

But, at least it seem that Princess is trying to sail and follow protocols with as many passengers as possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billco said:

It says on the Princess website “There is no age restriction on this series of cruises to Alaska but guests of all ages must be fully vaccinated. 

That is what they have said.  But the Princess SVP of Sales has also told TAs this during recent webinars (two that I am aware of):

image.thumb.png.e20e3d6233a1c5650cd0c5fcb0936819.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Just a guess:

addie19 had been booked on an Alaska cruise that was cancelled. Along with everyone else on that cruise, bookings were automatically transferred to this Majestic cruise. Originally there was no restriction on the number of unvaccinated passengers.

At some point Princess counted all the kids under 12 and found they had more than the 5% allowed under the new CDC policy.

Some reservations had to be cancelled. I have no idea how they picked which ones to cancel.

This is especially cruel since addie19 was cruising as part of a family group with the rest of the family able to keep the booking.

Interesting theory and you may be on to something here.  But I would think that the bookings would have been linked and that the actions to "moveover" addie19 would have applied to the rest of the group as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Interesting theory and you may be on to something here.  But I would think that the bookings would have been linked and that the actions to "moveover" addie19 would have applied to the rest of the group as well.

Not everyone links bookings. They should but some don't think of it.

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

My understanding is that for this year, the CDC is requiring all Alaska cruises to be 100% vaccinated. So people not vaccinated, or unable to be vaccinated, are unfortunately not allowed to cruise this year.

It seems that, despite Chernesky's statements on his webinar that it would be 95% (with the remaining 5% exceptions being children under 12, medical exemption and religious exemption), it has now changed to 100%. In addition to the statement above from the Princess web site, here is a copy/paste of a story on Cruise Industry News dated today with "today's" Princess status for vaccinations:

"Princess Cruises
Ships: Majestic Princess
First Cruise: July 25, 2021
Homeports: Seattle
Region: Alaska
Vaccination required? 
Yes

Princess Cruises is resuming its U.S. operations in Alaska with the Majestic Princess. The vessel will welcome passengers back on July 25, ahead of a series of ten sailings from Seattle.

The cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

But I would think that the bookings would have been linked and that the actions to "moveover" addie19 would have applied to the rest of the group as well.

That is being logical, something the Princess IT folk are rarely accused of.

Since we do not know for sure what logic was used to pick that reservation to be cancelled, we can only guess that Princess did not check if this reservation was part of a group of possibly linked bookings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

Curious. How did Princess know who on your booking had been vaccinated and who had not? 

Thanks. 

I think it was because there were two kids under the age of 12 on the booking...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, franktown said:

They do know that children under 12 have not been vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Unless enrolled in a clinical trial.

Only vaccines approved for use by the WHO or US FDA are accepted.  Children under 12 involved in clinical trials would not be accepted as the FDA/WHO has not approved use of vaccine for those under 12.

Just now, pms4104 said:

Unless enrolled in a clinical trial.

True.  But usually the participants do not know if they are being given a placebo or the real thing.  I do not know the protocol for under 12 clinical trials.

2 minutes ago, franktown said:

True.  But usually the participants do not know if they are being given a placebo or the real thing.  I do not know the protocol for under 12 clinical trials.

Once the trial is completed then participants are notified which group they were in.  Once the proper authorities approve use of vaccine for the groups included in the trial, anyone involved in the trial who received the approved vaccine, in the proper doses,  would be considered fully vaccinated

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72