What if the passenger count is very low, will the ship sail?

Hello,

I am booked on the Explorer for this itinerary: GODDESSES, LEGENDS & EMPIRES: ATHENS (PIRAEUS) TO ISTANBUL

I've looked around the boards that I frequent (this and Cruiseline) and it doesn't seem like there will be a lot, if anyone at all,

on this voyage. How do I even find out how many people are on my voyage?

If the ship has only a handful of passengers, will it even sail, or cancel the voyage? Like they do when excursions or tours don't meet the minimum participation.

Thanks

Ok, cool. It's a year away, so if things change there's more than enough time to move that deposit somewhere else, or put it back in savings.

Thanks! 😊

Edited by SireDoime
errata

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

This is a related question. Is Regent limiting the number or guests onboard due to health issues?. 

I asked in a phone call to customer service a few days ago regarding a cruise we are on that shows everything waitlisted.  I was told Regent is not limiting availability due to COVID.

We are booked for the first sailing of Splendor out of a US port.. The ship has been sold out for months. No discounts needed.

We are very excited to sail on Regent again. 
We are booked on Celebrity..one week, August 7th,  out of Fort Lauderdale. 
We look so forward to getting on a ship ASAP. 
sheila

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snore42 said:

At the very least the lines should be offering discounts on these first voyages.   Passengers are not going to get the product they have been used to and the lines need to offer as 

That's not going to happen on Regent. The first 2 cruises are Sept 11 and Sept 22, 2021. We were had booked these 2 cruises back in 2019. Our final payment was scheduled for early April. Regent had given us our airline bookings, and we had booked 3 nights pre in a London hotel, and a 4 night post Regent excursion from Barcelona to Madrid. We had alreay booked and paid for our excursions on these back to back cruises.

Since cruises were being cancelled each month, and we were already up to cancelled cruises until mid August, we asked that our final payment be deferred until early May. Those who had booked much later than us did not have to pay until early May. Regent said no. We postponed our trip until Sept 2022, and our cabin was taken by someone on the waitlist.

Only Veranda cabins are available on the first 3 cruises of Regent starting in September. No discounts are going to be offered since many people are anxious to cruise. Those that book may be new to Regent (and cruising) so they have no previous experience, and will enjoy a vacation away from home.

Sorry, no edit here. As long as guests are willing to pay more than 125% of their credit they got from their cancelled cruise, the lines will not reduce fares. .They will redeem the FCCs, and try to make a small profit from them. I don’t blame them, as they have gone through a period of financial hades! I have received Regent ads for cruises over $1000 per day/per person. And on the Explorer or Splendour, an upgrade would be needed to a avoid a closet sized “suite”.  The FCCs must be used up or expire before we seeming fare reduction. Maude not even then. we wait and see.

It is sad that there is no way to edit recent posts on board. Some of us don’t type very wel,, because in our working years, we had our employees to do this.  I wish there could be a “edit” options on one’s own posts.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

It is sad that there is no way to edit recent posts on board. Some of us don’t type very wel,, because in our working years, we had our employees to do this.  I wish there could be a “edit” options on one’s own posts.

There is; and you have twenty minutes to edit your post.

6 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I don’t know that cruise lines l need to offer discounts on first cruises. Maybe not, as there awe all the FCC people willing to pay more than 125% of their oridinallynbooied cruise

There is no evidence that the existence of FCCs has inflated prices. Many guests chose to take refunds for cruise cancellations rather than FCCs.

Yes there is pent up demand for cruises, particularly for some ships & itineraries; but not all, as evidenced by the original post in this topic.
Some Regent cruises next year are waitlisted; others still have availability.

The bottom line is that those who wish to cruise will book and those that do not wish to cruise, for whatever reason, will not. 

Edited by flossie009
To demonstrate CC editing function
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Snore42 said:

At the very least the lines should be offering discounts on these first voyages.   Passengers are not going to get the product they have been used to and the lines need to offer as 

I beg to differ.  On the Seabourn Ovation now and the passenger experience has been great!  Bring the Covid vaccination card!

15 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Good, and I am eager to read reports of members who have gone on an actual cruise

There are plenty of reports on other CC Boards and on CC Cruise News from cruises that are already sailing. Most guests appear to be enjoying the experience.

Obviously we will all have to wait until September/October to see the first reports from Regent ships as they restart.

10 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I have received Regent ads for cruises over $1000 per day/per person.

.............. and there are other Regent cruises costing less. It all depends on the popularity of date, itinerary & ship.

If someone doesn't like Regent's price point or feels that a particular cruise does not offer value for money then there are plenty of other choices to be had in the market.

• Like 5

On 7/6/2021 at 5:51 PM, Dolebludger said:

The three little dots in the upper right hand corner, you can edit.

I have noticed that Regent's advertising doesn't appear to include any 2021 cruises.  The email I received today mentioned Explorer cruises from December 20th onward.  I know that there are several cruises prior to that.  Ours leaves December 9th and, the last time I checked (yesterday), there were 94 suites available so it's not sold out.  There are 6 categories showing availability.  Do you suppose that they are okay with sailing at a lower capacity for the first few sailings until all the kinks are worked out?

30 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

I have noticed that Regent's advertising doesn't appear to include any 2021 cruises.  The email I received today mentioned Explorer cruises from December 20th onward.  I know that there are several cruises prior to that.  Ours leaves December 9th and, the last time I checked (yesterday), there were 94 suites available so it's not sold out.  There are 6 categories showing availability.  Do you suppose that they are okay with sailing at a lower capacity for the first few sailings until all the kinks are worked out?

Sounds like a reasonable assumption, doesn't it?