The Daily for Friday August 06, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning,

Cruise critic is not being kind the last couple of days, none of my posts seem to go through, it just freezes when I click submit, will see if this one goes through, I'm going to keep it short just in case. 

Something is happening today we haven't seen in two months: rain!  Really mist, for now.  Not sure if it really rained during the night, but at least all the trees and flowers are getting a coating of moisture. 

Thoughts and prayers to all, especially the families of the plane that crashed and the community of Ketchikan, when I lived in Alaska I found that all the pilots know each other, as flying is a vital resource.

Today I will spend another day trying to locate covid testing.  People don't realize it's not as easy as it sounds or as easy as it might be for others.  There are shortages, what little are available are needed for people that are really sick in many places.  I think it's very unfair of the cruise lines to push this on our communities when their pockets run deep, their survival this long is a good example.   

Anyway, have a good Friday everybody!

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

DH is a firm believer that those with the right outlook heal better than those without. 👍 

Firm believer here as well. Actually there is a lot of evidence to back that up.

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. A well balanced group of days, though we need to remember the horror of Hiroshima every time we think about taking a military action. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. It is a never ending task for you. Rich, too! Welcome @msmayor .  I have seen your posts on other threads and thought you would fit in perfectly with “the family”!

That quote was intended for us - hence Ms. Camilla! The recipe looks great. Heck no to the drink. Not sure about the wine, not my favorite red. 

Wanted to hit the local post office early, and it paid off. NO ONE was in line! I mailed off my updated beneficiary declaration forms, which will finalize my Trust process.  I have been thinking about my mortality since the pandemic invaded our world.

Yesterday’s tragic events made me think about it again. Nothing can lessen the grief of a loved one’s passing. But there are facts that can help one through the pain - such as someone passing doing something one loves to do, or doing something that gives that person joy. That is what I hope for me. I want people to be able to find some modicum of comfort knowing that I was enjoying this world and my life when I passed. I may not get what I want, but I am hoping I do. Sorry, but had to share this with the family. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone & cherish every precious moment of life!

• Like 27

For August 6 I have a sunset rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2016 trip that culminated in the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise.  On August 6 I boarded the Alaska ferry Kennicott in Bellingham and was headed to the Inside Passage:

dusk0806.jpg

Roy

• Like 30

6 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from the NA.  It’s a gray day outside hopefully the sun will come out later.  We will have our fourth Tamarind meal tonight.  One thing of note.  The accounting department doesn’t seem to understand that the Have it All promotion includes a free meal that we can book ahead of time.  They applied our 5* meals but are charging for the promotional meal, at half off.  Frustrating.  I’ll be talking with the concierge later this morning.

😱 Glad you have the concierge.  They should get it handled for you.

• Like 12

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists.😊

Back from wiggling toes in Maui and looking forward to laundry ( not!)🙃

Yes, we've been to Albany ..posting some photos from 2014. 

🙏Prayers to all in need and condolences to the families on the NA.🙏 Such sad news!😔

Katie 

20210806_074210.jpg

20210806_073457.jpg

• Like 26

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

What a lovely room. A sunroom? I bet it’s the one that was in your exterior pictures a few days ago. Looks so cozy.

Safe travels to you both, and congratulations on the Neptune😉.

Thank you for your complimentary words.

This is our summer room/garden Room you mentioned which is the one we use when outside.

Graham.

IMG-20210806-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20210806-WA0002.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25

Good morning and thanks all! 
such sad news from Alaska!  
@ger_77 good news about your friend! Let the healing begin!   Ps would love your Beetless Borscht recipe if you’re willing…
@msmayorwelcome aboard!  

Our first days in Japan were spent in Hiroshima.    Our church had made 1000 origami cranes and sent them over, it is a lovely story of remembrance!  A place of beauty and horror.

477A6D16-82AA-4D5A-A1A1-D046D2053C81.jpeg

C4525162-96BF-4041-A222-CF99F18A63CC.jpeg

40999A1C-C75D-473A-A692-C3200339EF80.jpeg

B1BBC5CB-7D09-4FC6-9413-08BFAB24E11A.jpeg

A326406A-428E-4EC2-8E8D-46FFEC9CA702.jpeg

09265865-1B44-432E-AC1E-442DDC938162.jpeg

F8EB4470-237E-4A2F-A2DA-651009E7FC3B.jpeg

97A9332E-B50E-46B0-8CA0-D77EF1A947F6.jpeg

DF755BAE-ABA4-4333-8B89-DEFE43EEF493.jpeg

069E7271-6CA1-4D61-96F4-C7E61DD3DB00.jpeg

85D2CDC1-2120-495E-9535-6BCA0A771A91.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

For August 6 I have a sunset rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2016 trip that culminated in the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise.  On August 6 I boarded the Alaska ferry Kennicott in Bellingham and was headed to the Inside Passage:

dusk0806.jpg

Roy

Roy.

All your sunset photos are awesome.

Thanks for posting them.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good morning from a somewhat damp Pacific NW.  Woke up to a tiny amount of rain this morning.  It was sad to hear of the loss of life on the float plane; I have heard of that happening before.  Since it is Hiroshima Day,  I was about to post some pictures of our stop there in 2018, but @bennybear just posted similar, but better ones.  While the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were tragic events for the persons who lived and died there, there is another way to look at it.  Without the bombing, the war would have gone on for as long as a year more, with an invasion of Japan with an unknown number of deaths on both sides.  It was better to end the war in August, 1945 than sometime in 1946.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Hello on a somber Friday.  On a day when I would hope all world leaders would ponder the horrors of war, I’d like to suggest John Hersey’s Hiroshima.  I think for many it was required reading in high school or college Lit classes, but I didn’t read it until about 10 years ago.  It is a well-told account, first appearing in The New Yorker, for which Hersey worked.  It is a short book, and a quick read, but unforgettable.  

My heart breaks for the shock and sadness of the excursion tragedy.  Anything I would add here would be an echo of the thoughts already conveyed.  

More happily, welcome @msmayor!  A word of warning though, it is an addictive place to visit.  😁

I’m thrilled to read the accounts of all the people finally enjoying a BHB.  For the rest of us, our day will come!

Best,

• Like 22

Good morning.  I tried to post earlier, but was unable to.  We shall see with this.

@grapau27, your morning room is beautiful.  You and Pauline seem to have a delightful life together.

@msmayor, welcome to the Daily -- the nicest international news outlet on the planet.

@ger_77, I'm so glad to hear your friend did well.  I've been through that, and know that it can be a very positive experience in the end.  Although that seems impossible at the time.

In the coming week, we'll all enjoy reading the travelogue of our favorite Copper in Alaska.  I will have DD and DGD with us this weekend as DSIL quarantines after a business trip.  She howls laughing when I do "this little piggy," so we'll get some toe wriggling in.

Wishing all a safe and peaceful day.

Maxine

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Today is such a sobering day and makes us all think about cause/effect, mortality, and the fragile nature of human life.  Thank goodness we have the inspiring story of Miss Camilla that gives us all hope!

I spent time yesterday searching out a location for a COVID test and somewhat "quick" results, and located the perfect location right at my local Health Department.  Walgreens here locally doesn't give the right tests (for HAL), or has too long of a wait time for results.  And with our new isolation from the rest of the State, I know our results will be very slow if they have to come back from State Lab in Denver!

Off to a mammogram appointment.  Even at my age, I have to have it done annually, because my youngest sister died of breast cancer at the age of 39!  

I love catfish, if cooked well.  Todays recipe looks like a nice way to prepare.  I might try to find some and fix it sometime over the weekend.

Sky is clearer today, so hopefully some moisture in the states with fire will help to control the fires.

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 22

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning.  I tried to post earlier, but was unable to.  We shall see with this.

@grapau27, your morning room is beautiful.  You and Pauline seem to have a delightful life together.

@msmayor, welcome to the Daily -- the nicest international news outlet on the planet.

@ger_77, I'm so glad to hear your friend did well.  I've been through that, and know that it can be a very positive experience in the end.  Although that seems impossible at the time.

In the coming week, we'll all enjoy reading the travelogue of our favorite Copper in Alaska.  I will have DD and DGD with us this weekend as DSIL quarantines after a business trip.  She howls laughing when I do "this little piggy," so we'll get some toe wriggling in.

Wishing all a safe and peaceful day.

Maxine

Thank you so much for your kind words Maxine.

Life is short and we try to make the most of every day when we can.

Pauline is 59 and I'm 65 in October.

It is our 40th wedding anniversary on August 22nd.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Today is such a sobering day and makes us all think about cause/effect, mortality, and the fragile nature of human life.  Thank goodness we have the inspiring story of Miss Camilla that gives us all hope!

I spent time yesterday searching out a location for a COVID test and somewhat "quick" results, and located the perfect location right at my local Health Department.  Walgreens here locally doesn't give the right tests (for HAL), or has too long of a wait time for results.  And with our new isolation from the rest of the State, I know our results will be very slow if they have to come back from State Lab in Denver!

Off to a mammogram appointment.  Even at my age, I have to have it done annually, because my youngest sister died of breast cancer at the age of 39!  

I love catfish, if cooked well.  Todays recipe looks like a nice way to prepare.  I might try to find some and fix it sometime over the weekend.

Sky is clearer today, so hopefully some moisture in the states with fire will help to control the fires.

Have a great day, everyone.

You are absolutely right.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and you are right in getting a yearly check.

Hopefully everything is okay.

Take care.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 12

Good morning!  Lots to talk about today - so much happening.  I keep thinking of the loss of life in Alaska, and I am always so relieved that my DD came away unscathed when she was flying in Alaska.  She did lose a good friend and also her boyfriend up there, though.  She had originally fallen in love with Alaska on a cruise on the old Noordam, I think it was.  We took a flight seeing trip up the Taku for bear watching and a salmon barbecue, and she got to sit beside the pilot.  She was enthralled, and that settled it for her, flight school and then Alaska were in her future.  I worried all the time, of course, and was very relieved when she switched to ATC!

Welcome, @msmayor, our extended family always has space for one more!  

We haven't been to Albany, but I see Margaret River is just around the corner, and we have been there, and visited many wineries!  Beautiful shore.

P1030879.JPG.f8f7be85cbc44ff681b3630cefbdc10e.JPG

Hiroshima was an important day for us - not that I remember it myself really, but for my mother it would have meant that Daddy would soon be released from the internment camp.  Actually, I think he said that it wasn't until August 8th or 9th that suddenly all the Japanese captors disappeared, and the gate was left open.  He said they didn't know exactly what to do, and stayed in the camp for a few more days until  people came to tell them they could go home.  

For the Garden Club, we have had some visitors, and DD sent away for a "Deer Cop" which she is now assembling - I don't know if the Strata is going to approve, it is something like one of those huge flapping inflatables you see at car dealers, just a bit smaller.  I will post a picture when she gets it all organized.  She is determined to protect her beloved dahlias.

IMG_5824.thumb.JPG.e11e8e33a476bd11cd4b530665abd5a8.JPG

• Like 28

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

For the Garden Club, we have had some visitors, and DD sent away for a "Deer Cop" which she is now assembling - I don't know if the Strata is going to approve, it is something like one of those huge flapping inflatables you see at car dealers, just a bit smaller.  I will post a picture when she gets it all organized.  She is determined to protect her beloved dahlias.

I don’t blame her for wanting to protect her dahlias 👍 

I don’t think I have seen this before - Looking forward to your pic when it’s assembled!

• Like 12

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. Remembering those lost in Hiroshima. I'll take fresh breath. I'd like to be wriggling toes in the sand somewhere. but will settle for doing it nightly before falling asleep.

Good quote.

I'll pass on fish, as usual, and the drink, although boilermakers are big here in Western PA. The coalminers would drink this after their shifts. Yes to the wine.

I have been to Australia, but not this area.

So devastating about the loss of life on the float plane in Ketchikan. RIP and prayers for their families, the remainder of the passengers, and crew of NA.

@msmayor Welcome to the Daily!

@aliaschief Bon Voyage! Safe travels.

@grapau27 That room is charming.

@ger_77 I'm glad your friend did well with her surgery. Enjoy that family get-together!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe all. Our numbers continue to go up. Now about 200 new cases a day (I don't know the breakdown of unvaccinated to vaccinated). So mask up indoors with strangers!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you so much for your kind words Maxine.

Life is short and we try to make the most of every day when we can.

Pauline is 59 and I'm 65 in October.

It is our 40th wedding anniversary on August 22nd.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Wishing you both a very Happy 40th wedding and lots more.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Today is my day to have issues with Cruise Critic.  This morning my first post didn't post at first.  I waited a bit and recovered my content luckily so I didn't have to start over.  Then this afternoon I wasn't able to "like" posts at all.  I tried refreshing the page and that started it working.

I've been working on rotating some photos and uploading them right side up from my computer to Shutterfly.  

We ran across a bagpiper in Albany.  enhance

I like to take photos of menu boards outside restaurants and bars.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLLINqjcgBBK68QTa18EkDhKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It says "Buy 1 beer for the price of 2, and get your 2nd beer FREE!!

Mail carriers around the world always interest me.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIxJU0aC5liI8VUQb74SlJo5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Albany War Memorial00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKaFZpX_Kk04Q55NNEXPIB75cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This monument lists those who died in WW1, WW2, Korean War and Vietnam War.

When we left the Sun Princess earlier in the day we noticed a fire truck at the marina.  Somebody was having a bad morning!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLG5GFQJNvKhgFReah3ABd9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26

Good afternoon everyone!

I haven't had time to post this week, but have been faithfully reading every day.  My best friend (friends since kindergarten!) came to visit from NC, so we've been sitting and talking, shopping, and just having a wonderful visit together.

Prayers for those lost on the float plane and their families, and for the cruisers on the NA dealing with this difficult tragedy.  DH and I did a float plane trip to Misty Fjords in 2017, and it was a wonderful experience.

Prayers for our family who need them. Will lift a glass to all celebrations and cheers tonight at dinner. 

Stay safe,

Laura

• Like 17

Good afternoon.  I'm very late today, although I have been reading the daily.  It is just a very lazy day for both of us.

I'm still trying to take in the plane crash and loss of life yesterday in Ketchikan.  We did the Misty Fjords flight a few years ago, but not throught the ship.  The scenery was beautiful, but we will not repeat it.  I think there are more near misses than we realize, and our flight was one of those.  It was a misty day, and the mist cleared just in the nick of time for the pilot to turn and pull before we hit the mountain.  DH said we were seconds away form a bad end.  

Hiroshima is an important part of world history and we should remember all it stands for.  Fresh breath is good.  Like @kazu, Jacqui, I live in my Berkenstocks unless I absolutely have to put on closed toed shoes, which is rarely.  So I wiggle my toes a lot.

The Carl Sandburg quote is very appropriate today, and we can celebrate it with Miss Camilla.

Catfish is big in Texas, but it usually fried, which is not my favorite way to cook it.  It has been a few years since we've had catfish, which I cook in the George Foreman seasoned with Creole seasoning.

I will defintely pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

We have not been to Albany, Australia, but I have been to Albany, TX.  I guess that doesn't count. 😃

Good news that the PNW is getting moisture in any form.  Hope there is more to follow.

@msmayor I'll add my welcome to the Daily.  It is the friendliest, most supportive, happiest place on CC.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for the picture of Albany.

@grapau27  Your sunroom looks so relaxing.

@kazu  Your flowers are lovely.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad your friend came through the surgery and that they did not remove her sense of humor and wit.  Here's to a speedy recovery.

@aliaschief  Hope your flight was safe and uneventful.  Have a great cruise and enjoy your Neptune Suite.

@bennybear  Thank you for the pictures of Hiroshima.  I was going to post some, but mine would be repeats.  

In 2005, we took a cruise on Pacific Princess that visited the islands of the Pacific Theater to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the end of WWII.  One stop was Saipan, and DH and I, along with one other passenger, flew to Tinian where we rented a car and drove around the island.  The north end of the island is administer by the NPS as a historic site, and two of the four runways are kept clear.  

A view of the four runways from our plane.  The two that were used for Hiiroshima are the ones that are being kept clear.  A lot of the area is being reclaimed by nature, but still worth a visit.

IMG_4838.thumb.JPG.f1c8313f7c78a13c66fe14baacdb8892.JPG

The ground view of runway Able

IMG_4862.thumb.JPG.56f7fa2cf72dbfde0b7b37dad07857d6.JPG

IMG_4863.thumb.JPG.7ec767cea7a7390c8092e81b54e07669.JPG

One of the monuments dedicated to the 509th Bomb Wing of which the Enola Gay and Bockscar and their crews belonged.  Tibbets name the Enola Gay for his mother, and Bockscar was named for Frederick Bock, the pilot.

IMG_4864.thumb.JPG.c0c5ccf85f938834a4dbc5a2a8e0a90b.JPG

The bombs were so heavy, in order to load them on the B-29s, the soldiers needed to dig pits, the bombs were placed in the pits, then planes were taxied over the pits.  The bombs were raised into position by a hydraulic piston.

IMG_4917.thumb.JPG.0658746ae898ebe719379b19decadeee.JPG

IMG_4919.thumb.JPG.7dcb7a21d2b51a039d1998134beb1b29.JPG

The pits are protected by a plexiglass cover.

IMG_4915.thumb.JPG.839c86b06c33e8999f035dbe73ec3e8d.JPG

The time spent there was very interesting, informative and sobering.

Ledna

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2