NEW CDC CRUISE GUIDELINES /SENIORS WIYH UNDER LYING MEDICAL CONDITIONS

mcrcruiser

These are the Current CDC guidelines for cruising . Now we are in  our early 80s & vaccinated  but with underlying medical conditions   .We decided to push all our cruises back   into Nov & Dec 2022 to hopefully  see a more  safe cruise environment  . 

What is your opinion   if you are seniors with underlying medical  conditions to the Following New CDC  Cruise guidelines ?

Key Information for Cruise Ship Travelers

The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads easily between people in close quarters aboard ships, and the chance of getting COVID-19 on cruise ships is high. Outbreaks of COVID-19 have been reported on cruise ships.

CDC recommends that people who are not fully vaccinated avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide.

People with an increased risk of severe illness should also avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, regardless of vaccination status.

People who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 1–3 days before their trip and 3–5 days after their trip, regardless of vaccination status.

Along with testing, passengers who are not fully vaccinated should self-quarantine for 7 days after cruise travel, even if they test negative. If they do not get tested, they should self-quarantine for 10 days after cruise travel.  

People on cruise ships should wear a mask to keep their nose and mouth covered when in shared spaces. While CDC’s Mask Order is not being enforced on cruise ships, individual cruise lines may require travelers (passengers and crew) to wear masks indoors on board the ship."

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel - COVID-19 High - Level 3: COVID-19 High - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC

Edited by mcrcruiser

We're fully vaccinated seniors without underlying medical conditions, and I'm starting to get really conflicted about this. My hubby isn't worried at all, but he never worries. I'm the worrier around here. We're on the 8/29 sailing, and I'm in dither mode.

• Like 1

Did you see this on another post? https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/08/20/cruises-and-covid-19-cdc-updates-guidance-high-risk-travelers/8218346002/

Don't want to discourage you from cruising but know before you go.  Have a medical evac policy in place before you go.  Cruise lines will put you off in a port if they think you are at risk.  I have seen it happen once and almost happen a second time (the ship was underway before they could get the person off).  Also, I know not all break through cases are "mild" or asymtomatic.  

I've read all the guidance and I fall into a few of the categories, but this is my take - so no flaming me please. We are fully vaccinated, we will be tested 3 days before we sail, we will mask (double) during our travel and (single) while on the ship among other people. I think the CDC's biggest concern with cruising is that should you become ill at a foreign port (like the unfortunate woman who was on Carnival Vista in Belize) and not have insurance, you could have issues getting home and/or effective treatment for the virus. Since our cruise is in Alaska waters we are never really far from any port should issues arise, and yes I know they can arise quickly. However, I'm risking my health every time I go to a grocery store where I do not know the vaccination status of those around me, and here in FL many do not feel the need to mask (even though we do). If I feel uncomfortable on the ship, and things seem too "peoply" for me, I'm okay with spending the week on my balcony or in my cabin for the most part. I think if you use common sense on the ship (and on your way to it), you really are not in that much more danger than you are in your own area (at least that is true here in Central FL). Your mileage may very if where you live has a good handle on the virus of course. We've decided to go ahead and go. We have travel insurance should anything unfortunate happen, but we're ready to give it a try on a fully vaccinated, tested, and masked ship. 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

We're fully vaccinated seniors without underlying medical conditions, and I'm starting to get really conflicted about this. My hubby isn't worried at all, but he never worries. I'm the worrier around here. We're on the 8/29 sailing, and I'm in dither mode.

This is something I posted on another board about this topic we are discussing :

Yes right now it is tough for us seniors with underlying medical conditions even to see our grand children &  in our case we have  5 great grand children as well  .Reason is that the Delta variant is so  highly  transmissable even with children .It is like chicken pox according to what we read in medical journals

We too are fully vaccinated and will be on a California Coast sailing in late October. Princess requires us to be tested 3 days prior to sailing and we will add in a post-sailing one. We have KN95 masks for our direct flight to LA and drive to San Pedro, and return. As TinaLee says we will use common sense on the ship and on land -- as we always do. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

I've read all the guidance and I fall into a few of the categories, but this is my take - so no flaming me please. We are fully vaccinated, we will be tested 3 days before we sail, we will mask (double) during our travel and (single) while on the ship among other people. I think the CDC's biggest concern with cruising is that should you become ill at a foreign port (like the unfortunate woman who was on Carnival Vista in Belize) and not have insurance, you could have issues getting home and/or effective treatment for the virus. Since our cruise is in Alaska waters we are never really far from any port should issues arise, and yes I know they can arise quickly. However, I'm risking my health every time I go to a grocery store where I do not know the vaccination status of those around me, and here in FL many do not feel the need to mask (even though we do). If I feel uncomfortable on the ship, and things seem too "peoply" for me, I'm okay with spending the week on my balcony or in my cabin for the most part. I think if you use common sense on the ship (and on your way to it), you really are not in that much more danger than you are in your own area (at least that is true here in Central FL). Your mileage may very if where you live has a good handle on the virus of course. We've decided to go ahead and go. We have travel insurance should anything unfortunate happen, but we're ready to give it a try on a fully vaccinated, tested, and masked ship. 

There is one problem that most people do not understand . If medical evacuation is needed & you have ned vac insurance ,it will get you or your partner to the closest medical facility  that is capable of handling your  medical condition  .However m if you want to or need to fly back to your home medical location you must own a yearly med vac policy otherwise the cost can be 6  figures in a medical  private jet as you would not be allowed on any commercial aircraft  .This is really a important factor to consider  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

We too are fully vaccinated and will be on a California Coast sailing in late October. Princess requires us to be tested 3 days prior to sailing and we will add in a post-sailing one. We have KN95 masks for our direct flight to LA and drive to San Pedro, and return. As TinaLee says we will use common sense on the ship and on land -- as we always do. 

My  only question here is between the time ot the 72 hour or less covid test  there is the possibility of this Delta variant infecting because what the cruise lines really need is a test at the pier & still that is not a guarantee  but  would imo provide even a more save environment aboard the ship .  This exact scenario happened on a rather small cruise vessel in the Bahamas & even cruise critic principles were on board that vessel .Two tests  were given one with in 72 hours from home & the 2nd test was the same PCR test at the pier . Well 6 or 8 people wound  up with covid  out of 58 passengers on that ship  .The only  difference was that there was no vaccine at that time for the 58 people 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I feel better about sailing next month having gotten the third shot, a booster shot. Most seniors are eligible as most have an underlying condition (as if old age isn't enough!).

I was under the impression that as of now, only those with compromised immune systems are authorized to get a booster shot.  Did something change to include any underlying conditions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on a 9/25 cruise out of California.  From my understanding, right now, Princess will not be testing at the terminal.  We are required to have a test within 3 days before our cruise.  I really wish Princess would institute pre-boarding testing.  My husband is 65, I am 63, we are both in good health and vaccinated, we live in California, so no flying required.  We have every intention of going on our cruise, I just think having data right before everyone boards would be better than having 3 day old data and might prevent some issues.  I am keeping an eye on the Carnival Panorama cruise that just sailed out of Long Beach, CA to see if they learn anything/change anything before we are scheduled to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

There is one problem that most people do not understand . If medical evacuation is needed & you have ned vac insurance ,it will get you or your partner to the closest medical facility  that is capable of handling your  medical condition  .However m if you want to or need to fly back to your home medical location you must own a yearly med vac policy otherwise the cost can be 6  figures in a medical  private jet as you would not be allowed on any commercial aircraft  .This is really a important factor to consider  

Not wholly true about needing annual evac policy to be flown to hospital of choice.  I have had coverage for evac to hospital of choice WITHOUT annual policy.  One needs to read what particular policies cover ... and buy an appropriate travel insurance product.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I was under the impression that as of now, only those with compromised immune systems are authorized to get a booster shot.  Did something change to include any underlying conditions?

Underlying conditions do impact your immune system. Where I live in SoCal it's easy to get a booster.

• Like 1

It's important to understand exactly what the CDC is saying.  If people actually follow this advice it will kill the cruise industry. 

Here's the troubling part....

People with an increased risk of severe illness should also avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, regardless of vaccination status.

Now here is how the CDC defines people with an increased risk of severe illness........

• Cancer

• Chronic kidney disease

• Chronic lung diseases, including COPD

• asthma (moderate-to-severe)

• cystic fibrosis

• pulmonary hypertension

• Dementia

• Diabetes (type 1 or type 2)

• Down syndrome

• Heart conditions including hypertension

• HIV infection

• Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system)

• Liver disease

• Overweight and obesity

• Pregnancy

• Sickle cell disease or thalassemia

• Smoking, current or former

• Solid organ or blood stem cell transplant

• Stroke or cerebrovascular disease

• Substance use disorders including alcohol

I'd wager this list covers an overwhelming majority of cruise line passengers.  Just look at the CDC statistics on overweight and obesity.....

Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 73.6%

or chronic kidney disease.....

CKD is more common in people aged 65 years or older (38%)

or current/former smokers.....

Former smokers represented about 21% of all adults and nearly 40% of adults aged 65 and over in 2018.  Current smokers represent about 14% of the US population.

It sounds nice to say that people at an increased risk should refrain from cruising.....  until you look at the actual impact that would have. 

The bottom line.......  the cruise industry is now totally dependent on customers ignoring this CDC recommendation.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mnocket said:

It's important to understand exactly what the CDC is saying.  If people actually follow this advice it will kill the cruise industry. 

Here's the troubling part....

Now here is how the CDC defines people with an increased risk of severe illness........

• Cancer

• Chronic kidney disease

• Chronic lung diseases, including COPD

• asthma (moderate-to-severe)

• cystic fibrosis

• pulmonary hypertension

• Dementia

• Diabetes (type 1 or type 2)

• Down syndrome

• Heart conditions including hypertension

• HIV infection

• Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system)

• Liver disease

• Overweight and obesity

• Pregnancy

• Sickle cell disease or thalassemia

• Smoking, current or former

• Solid organ or blood stem cell transplant

• Stroke or cerebrovascular disease

• Substance use disorders including alcohol

I'd wager this list covers an overwhelming majority of cruise line passengers.  Just look at the CDC statistics on overweight and obesity.....

Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 73.6%

or chronic kidney disease.....

CKD is more common in people aged 65 years or older (38%)

or current/former smokers.....

Former smokers represented about 21% of all adults and nearly 40% of adults aged 65 and over in 2018.  Current smokers represent about 14% of the US population.

It sounds nice to say that people at an increased risk should refrain from cruising.....  until you look at the actual impact that would have. 

The bottom line.......  the cruise industry is now totally dependent on customers ignoring this CDC recommendation.

According to this list, I shouldn’t cruise, but I will continue to cruise.  

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 5

We all are adults capable of making  our own decisions  . Some  seniors will take chances of   travel & many will not   . Personally ,we prefer being around longer to see &hug our grand   children & great grand children  . We have our own priorities  . Even if we no longer can cruise safely  ,we could do  safe land trips  .  Mainly observing your surroundings & wearing masks where there could be  threats of illness 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

We all are adults capable of making  our own decisions  . Some  seniors will take chances of   travel & many will not   . Personally ,we prefer being around longer to see &hug our grand   children & great grand children  . We have our own priorities  . Even if we no longer can cruise safely  ,we could do  safe land trips  .  Mainly observing your surroundings & wearing masks where there could be  threats of illness 

Great.  Do as you please.  Maybe don’t rain on others parade?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

We’re going too.  Everyone has to make choices that make sense for them.

We are going on our October cruise.  The CDC might have a whole new set of guidelines by then.  Things change.  Often.  We are old.  We do not tell other old people how to live their lives.  

• Like 4

Heads up for oxygen users…
This is not meant to discount anyone’s prior comments, just a simple fact.

We were booked on the Grand Princess Hawaiian cruise from L A on 12/20/21.  Our final payment was due on 9/21/21.  I thought it smart to re-read through all the changes Princess is implementing for the health and safety of their passengers and crew.  It is an impressive amount of work and I am very pleased with the things they have put in place, although it will change the overall experience seasoned cruisers might be expecting.

One thing caught my attention…passengers who use OXYGEN (even concentrators) WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO BOARD THE SHIP‼️  Had I not caught that we would have paid the final amount and arrived at the pier with all the required documentation, ready for the nose swab before boarding (yes, you are required to have the negative 72 hour results in hand but they will also do a check pier side) only to be told “SORRY, no oxygen users allowed”.

if any of you rely on oxygen be sure to read or call Princess for information.  The original notice said for cruises through 10/31/21 but when I called Friday they said it has been extended for all cruises departing through 12/31/21.

Enjoy your cruises, wherever, whenever.  Have fun and stay safe.

Dian

• Thanks 1

Hope I'm not multi posting here.    I've lost faith in the CDC.  I'll read and accept the numbers that they put out.  But when it comes to advice, I pass.  They seem to be just so risk averse.  If my other posts show, sorry, but.

I think the CDC would ban swimming pools if they could.. drownings, chemical exposure, sun exposure, slippery surfaces, etc.  

Yes, Covid can't be ignored.  But prudent steps can be employed.. not extreme ones.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The pharmacies giving booster vaccine have a list.  If you ask to get a booster; they will go down their list to see if you meet the required qualification for the booster.  

Nope, I just filled out the questionnaire on line and no questions asked inside the pharmacy. Only one question online asked if you are immunosuppressed and as per post #15 everyone qualifies!