Live on Majestic Princess 09/05/2021`

Musky Ike

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

Musky Ike was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

OK, I did not want the string of "live from" to die with us. I will be busy having fun but will try to relay current info when I can.

Embarkation: due to an early flight we arrived before the doors opened. Once the terminal opened we were shown to the elite waiting area after showing our paperwork. No snacks or drinks but warm and welcoming with a view of the ship. Boarding started at 11:00 and we were among the first ones to board.

I stopped right away at passenger services and scored a cabin upgrade. Some difficulty and time getting stuff changed over but worth it. They say we are at about 65% capacity.

The app is working even worse onboard if that is possible. Not going to let it stop us from having fun. not really needed anyway. Victor or steward will provide paper patters.

CC meet and greet is later today our sea day and formal night.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

thank you for continuing the "live" info.

did you have to pay for a cabin upgrade.  what were you booked in and what did you get upgraded to?

Nope, I would not have paid as our old cabin was fine. We just went from a deluxe balcony obstructed to unobstructed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Much applause to Princess for their embarkation process. I arrived at 10:50 and was onboard by 11:15 or so. 

This is my first time on Princess and the Ocean Medallion experience alone could easily draw me back. I’m so used to handing over a card for swiping everything and… nope! The Medallion app, not so much. 

As a solo, I will note that every restaurant host and server has said “just one?” They’ve been gracious and efficient otherwise but that phrase starts things on a negative note. 

Bouncy seas last night! Feels calmer this morning but maybe it’s just that the Bonine has kicked in. 

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

OK, I did not want the string of "live from" to die with us. I will be busy having fun but will try to relay current info when I can.

Embarkation: due to an early flight we arrived before the doors opened. Once the terminal opened we were shown to the elite waiting area after showing our paperwork. No snacks or drinks but warm and welcoming with a view of the ship. Boarding started at 11:00 and we were among the first ones to board.

I stopped right away at passenger services and scored a cabin upgrade. Some difficulty and time getting stuff changed over but worth it. They say we are at about 65% capacity.

The app is working even worse onboard if that is possible. Not going to let it stop us from having fun. not really needed anyway. Victor or steward will provide paper patters.

CC meet and greet is later today our sea day and formal night.

Great to hear you can show up like the "before time" and be accommodated and have the priority waiting area and get on board early.

Congrats on cabin switch.

22 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Much applause to Princess for their embarkation process. I arrived at 10:50 and was onboard by 11:15 or so. 

Same here - great to read about the arrival, check-in, and boarding process.  They certainly have the ship ready early recently.  Maybe they are shooing departing guests off a little sooner as well.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

Happy to contribute to the live thread but I didn’t want the pressure of starting it!

I am doing a back to back- was onboard last week too.

I so agree about the staff saying “just for one?” Makes me uncomfortable on my first solo cruise. 

I got an upsell offer to a full suite mid-week last week so I took it. The cabin is lovely and the staff is great. However, breakfast in Harmony was just too over the top. I don’t need to be checked on by every staff member every 2 minutes. I think I will go back to the dining room tomorrow. Last week there was usually someone to talk with at a nearby table or I could read without saying everything is good every 2 minutes. Just my opinion- I am sure most people would love Harmony.

With the B to B I had to get tested yesterday at the Medical Center. I was told when to show up and that I would only be notified if I was positive. Nice and easy but who knows how it will be in the future.

Sue

• Like 6

Just saw the questions about the B 2 B. Did not need to disembark. I needed to change cabins but just packed the suitcase and they moved that and the hanging clothes stayed on the hangers. If you don’t change cabins, you can just enjoy the quiet ship. The International Cafe stayed open. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, travelers07 said:

Just saw the questions about the B 2 B. Did not need to disembark. I needed to change cabins but just packed the suitcase and they moved that and the hanging clothes stayed on the hangers. If you don’t change cabins, you can just enjoy the quiet ship. The International Cafe stayed open. 

Thank you for the info.  We have an upcoming b2b Nov 1st and was curious as they have updated b2b info on the Princess web site:

Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage, receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test, and will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

We will closely monitor all guidance and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

• Like 1

If anyone on this cruise uses the thermal suite, will you share whether you think it is worth buying the cruise long pass that entitles a passenger to use it 2 hours per day?  I would also be interested in the hours for the thermal suite.  I saw a previous posting that made me think it is only open from 8-10am.  Too early for me!  I sleep in while cruising and would still be yawning over coffee at 8am!  Any info appreciated.

34 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Curious if they are doing embarkation photos yet?

They weren’t on last week’s cruise. I miss the embarkation and photos they take when you get off at the ports. We didn’t take any photos last week because they were only the staged ones around the ship. I like the more candid ones where they don’t put you in funny poses. Saved some money by not having any photos to buy. I did not miss the photographers in the dining room! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Much appreciated Muskie.  If all goes well we will be on Majestic in Oct.

Curious how the covid testing within 2 days went for you & where?

We went to Walgreens for the rapid diagnostic test. Could only book 2 days out so Tuesday for Thursday test, but when I checked our local one the website said none available. Booked one about 27 miles away.  Easy test for both of us at the same time, went to lunch and got an email the results were in so a swing back to the drive thru to pick up signed copies and back home. The check in person at the pier did not recognize the test but checked with a medical person standing behind her and all was OK. It is new to them also.

• Like 2

Problems with the ocean medallion app continue. Login either taking forever or blanking out. I stopped by the booth and the bottom line is that if your device does not have at least 3GB of memory it will be an issue. I will just use the screens around ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eyelash said:

If anyone on this cruise uses the thermal suite, will you share whether you think it is worth buying the cruise long pass that entitles a passenger to use it 2 hours per day?  I would also be interested in the hours for the thermal suite.  I saw a previous posting that made me think it is only open from 8-10am.  Too early for me!  I sleep in while cruising and would still be yawning over coffee at 8am!  Any info appreciated.

The Majestic does not have the Thermal Suite like the Grand/Crown class ships do.  The Royal class ships have the Enclave.  It has a fabulous pool  in addition to typical thermal suite amenities.  It is also pricier, I believe.  I am not on board so have no specific info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Enclave thermal suite is open all day - I think it’s 8am to 10pm. I took a tour yesterday since I bought the pass online. No time limit, no reservations required. The locker room is open for use, too. The thermal suite is smaller than what I’m used to on NCL ships, with just a handful of tiled loungers and no other relaxation space, but the hydro pool is large & looks delightful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They’re open until 10:00 pm. As one who used to purchase the pass for the enclave on every cruise, I would not even entertain purchasing it for a limited two hours per day,  as I would spend at least  four hours per day using it on previous cruises, and it was never crowded.  They used to limit the passes to 50 per cruise,  I believe, as not to cause an overcrowding situation. Plus, those who are getting spa treatments could use it as well.  

On a different note, I also was traveling solo last week, and The staff never made me feel uncomfortable in any way, shape, or form.  When I showed up to the dining room and they inquired how many and I said party of one, they would repeat to The person showing me to my table, “party of One,” as that’s what I was.  Or they would say “party of One,  willing to share. “
I felt that the staff bent over backwards to accommodate me, being a party of one, and the term ‘one’ never made me feel uncomfortable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all on board who are contributing to this live from.  It’s great to see the real time adaptations to protocols as they happen. 

@travelers07 and @coastcat I agree completely with your comments regarding “just for one” or “just you” greetings. I was solo on the first July sailing and tried to joke with a “it’ll be the ‘just me’ show aaaaaalll week” and they stopped asking me. But at this point someone should quietly take the head waiter aside and gently let them know it might be better if they greeted with  “would you like to share a table?” Or perhaps just “good afternoon”. 
I know the very last thing any crew member wants to do is something that diminishes our experience in any way. It would be a kindness to let them know. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1