Dear Princess: With 30 days before we sail, I am done trying to use your Medallion App.

CineGraphic

We have two cruises booked with Princess, Nov 24th on Regal and Nov 30th on Enchanted.  I spent almost 2 hours yesterday on Princess Chat trying to see why both cruises showed up on the app as Nov. 24th and we could not complete check-in. Yes, we uninstalled the app and reinstalled, no help. We have Samsung S9 and Note 8 phones with the latest updates.  They said they would "make a ticket". Today, we only see our Nov 24th cruise on the Regal until we try to chose Arrival and Departure Groups, then the app shows "Select Property" and the Regal is on both dates

How are you supposed to see multiple cruises correctly?

8 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

This will be a great improvement.  Hopefully, it works better than the app!

Anything would work better than the app.  After trying to call Princess several times during the day, I was on the phone at 8 this morning and finally got through.  The app just would not take the credit card information.  App on my phone seems OK but not able to enter anything on husband's phone!   It won't even recognize him and his birth date.  

Is the App a requirement?  I tend not to load apps and I also throw my phone in the safe on embarkation day and never look at it until the last day.   I also tend to not take my tablet or laptop with me as I "disconnect" from the world on holiday. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, chsalas said:

Is the App a requirement?  I tend not to load apps and I also throw my phone in the safe on embarkation day and never look at it until the last day.   I also tend to not take my tablet or laptop with me as I "disconnect" from the world on holiday. 

On my most recent Princess cruise, I quit trying to make the wonky app work and just showed up at the pier with my paperwork and credit card.  It took less than 10 minutes or so to get me checked in and on my way.  Compare that to hours trying to get something unworkable to work.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

My latest response from AskOceanMedallion regarding my issue was that they are prioritizing according to sail date and encouraged me to be patient......

how long did it take to get a response from them? i sent email a week ago - no reply at all nor issue was not fixed

11 hours ago, eagletwo said:

We have two cruises booked with Princess, Nov 24th on Regal and Nov 30th on Enchanted.  I spent almost 2 hours yesterday on Princess Chat trying to see why both cruises showed up on the app as Nov. 24th and we could not complete check-in. Yes, we uninstalled the app and reinstalled, no help. We have Samsung S9 and Note 8 phones with the latest updates.  They said they would "make a ticket". Today, we only see our Nov 24th cruise on the Regal until we try to chose Arrival and Departure Groups, then the app shows "Select Property" and the Regal is on both dates

How are you supposed to see multiple cruises correctly?

For our b2b cruises, they are combined on the app into one cruise showing the start date of first cruise and end date of last cruise. Have it this way for a b2b and a b2b2b and luckily we are in the same cabin so all the data is correct. 

My "problem" cruise is a 10 Dec and 20 Dec b2b for DH and myself (we change cabins) and grandson joins us for the 2nd cruise  (staying in our cabin).  The Medallion app has decided that this is one cruise, with one cabin number and grandson is also going on the first cruise.  Princess swears that their system shows the correct data for each cruise and each person.  Will try calling one more time to see if the App listing can be corrected, if not we will just show up at the terminal for the old fashioned check in process.

2 hours ago, chsalas said:

Presently, the app is only necessary to get your information into Princess to speed up your embarkation at the port.  (In theory, starting sometime in November you should be able to do all of that on your home computer in the cruise personalizer on the Princess website.)  You don't absolutely need to have the app to finish getting ready for embarkation, you should still be able to check in at the pier the old fashioned way and it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of your cruise.  You can just chuck the phone into the safe and chill out.  The app is definitely not necessary to use the Medallion onboard.  The Medallion just does the same functions as the cruise card.  As a matter of fact, if you prefer to go with what you know, once onboard, you can go to the Guest Services desk and get a cruise card and just use that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

My latest response from AskOceanMedallion regarding my issue was that they are prioritizing according to sail date and encouraged me to be patient......

I have gotten this response as well.  My ticket was put in on August 28th.  So will they be “patient” to receive my final payment next week???  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

I have gotten this response as well.  My ticket was put in on August 28th.  So will they be “patient” to receive my final payment next week???  🤣🤣🤣

When I am told to be patient I immediately have an urge to scream!!!!  Ultimate blow off, really what they are saying is we'll get to it when we feel like it so sit down and shut up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@CineGraphic, I have to share this.  Your OP struck me sadly because I perceived you to be a happy and loyal Princess customer on balance and your note expressed frustrations of many and ultimately at the end of your rope with it all. 

I thought it was time to write some execs again as I had not been getting some responses lately to my own missives as I had been earlier.  I forwarded the text of your post in red type in an email to Jan Swartz.  I typed my own intro note in black text that this was a post from a CC member (did not provide your Handle in the email).  I concluded my email with some more personal notes about it being sad to be constantly running into posts like this from loyal customers and it was hurting the brand and what I felt as a Shareholder, etc.

The email was likely read by one of her staff (IDK if she read it herself of course) and fwd'd to a senior person in CR dept.  I was contacted and there had been confusion that it was ME having the issues loading CC and they weren't seeing any issues with my bookings.  (I never did have a CC issue even though I needed to remove the old one I had in my profile from 2019 voyage and replace it. 

But, the point is that your words had an impact - they just had the wrong idea that the words were from me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I forwarded the text of your post in red type in an email to Jan Swartz. 

Thanks for doing this.

I just wish Princess would be upfront with the issues, Can you imagine what folks who don't use Cruise Critic are going through!?

Princess needs to step up and own this debacle.

Yes, we are having problems with the app.

Yes, we screwed up by removing the web based access, and disconnecting our dedicated phone line.

Yes, you will be able to cruise as long as you bring the following to port on embarkation day, and we humbly apologize for the time and frustration many of our dedicated customers are experiencing.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

20 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We were told the same...

I get that prioritization, but if one has had a cruise - or multiple cruises - booked for sometime and had dining setup and now it's an issue, waiting for months while they deal with 2021 can put you out of luck if other guests booking now are getting reservations with no issues.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I get that prioritization, but if one has had a cruise - or multiple cruises - booked for sometime and had dining setup and now it's an issue, waiting for months while they deal with 2021 can put you out of luck if other guests booking now are getting reservations with no issues.

That is my main concern.  By the time they fix my issue my preferred dining time and table size will not be available.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 7:46 PM, memoak said:

You  may want to update your IOS - there is now a version 15

Two things - I don't see why I should incur additional expense and hassle at the behest of Princess cruises just to cruise with them.  That must be wrong.  I do not wish to have a smartphone, or any phone come to that. Being retired, I cannot think of anything worse than being contactable by everyone, anytime, anywhere.  I managed to exist for 70 years without one and am still here.  This is just another step into getting everyone to be controllable by big business/authority and people who do not want to play will become an underclass who cannot participate in life at all.  IoS 15 was released 2 weeks ago and has already needed a newer version to correct bug issues.  There is no guarantee that the appalling app will work with it certainly on older phones.  Only iPhone7 and above can install it.. It is arrogant in the extreme to expect customers to own, and understand, technology of the type Princess determine just to (try to) operate the check-in system they have decided to adopt.  Even more arrogant to remove the online check-in in favour of the app.  Secondly, the Medallion app is stated to be applicable and operable for IoS13 and higher.  It clearly is not.  I know people with up to date Android gear who can't work it either.  As a Carnival shareholder, I am concerned that such arrogance is detracting from future sales.  Heads should roll on this issue. 

Edited by barriedavis
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Yes, we screwed up by removing the web based access, and disconnecting our dedicated phone line.

I agree completely with your posts.  I have read that they will be returning certain functionality to the cruise personalizer on the web site.  I'm wondering if the reason why the dedicated phone line was disconnected is because it rang at the vendor which had been contracted by Princess and possibly the vendor was terminated by Princess in favor of another contractor who will return the functions to the web site.  Just a guess on my part, I have no information to back up my thoughts on this.

One can only hope...........

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

This was a really, really stupid decision.

The only thing I would disagree with from your post is that using the word really only twice may not be enough to convey how stupid that decision was.🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 12:18 PM, CineGraphic said:

How many times must one try to input their credit card info into your app before it's accepted?

I've probably entered my credit card (a Princess Visa no less) over 60 times with no luck.

My wife is shown as an authorized user, but it still says I need to enter my card, even though it shows as being the default card.

I've deleted the card, and deleted the app several times as well. Nothing works.

Emails and phone calls bring zero results despite promises.

Even an email sent 3 weeks ago to Collin Steinke, head of guest relations has gone unanswered.

My days of being a vocal supporter, and cheerleader for Princess are over.

How much time must we waste on an app that used to work just fine?

All I want is to be able to walk onto the ship with no delay, just as advertised.

Getting ready for a cruise is supposed to be an exciting time, not a pain in the ass.

It's time to get your act together. ("act" is the nicest word I can use here)

More ships start sailing soon, which means more guests, and more problems, so If you don't already have teams working on fixing the numerous bugs 24/7, you are simply not doing enough. This is no way to treat loyal customers, or even new customers for that matter.

When I see new cruisers say, "never again" right here on Cruise Critic, before they've even sailed, you know it's bad.

I have the exact same problem. That was after entering the booking number several times with it saying "booking doesn't exist". Spent an hour on the phone with Princess & she supposedly added the CC. The app flickers & moves & keeps reloading & changing from green to yellow to red, UUUGGGHHH! I don't like to start a vacation this way.

Edited by victory2020

4 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

UUUGGGHHH! I don't like to start a vacation this way.

Don't waste any more of your time on the app. (This is their problem to fix, not yours)

Just show up at the port with the required paperwork.

I've been assured that they will have enough staff to handle everything quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone is stressing out for no reason.Just got off the Majestic yesterday traveling with my mother who owns a flip phone. We had to wait a whole 5 minutes for her to check in the old way. Once on board she could not believe how every server knew her by name. Blew her mind. Her best cruise ever!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, pro76 said:

Everyone is stressing out for no reason.Just got off the Majestic yesterday traveling with my mother who owns a flip phone. We had to wait a whole 5 minutes for her to check in the old way. Once on board she could not believe how every server knew her by name. Blew her mind. Her best cruise ever!

Thanks for posting this.  Have heard others talk about how easy it was to check in the old way.  I've already destressed and just waiting to board the old way with friends who can't even download the app on their old phones.  They for sure aren't running out to buy a newer phone.

46 minutes ago, pro76 said:

I disagree with you on this.  I am a planner and for the amount we pay for the cruise I should be able to have my information entered and have peace of mind that I am not missing something especially now with the COVID test, vaccine card etc.  For Princess to just say be patient is a joke.  Get the thing working for everyone. Also they should have a troubleshooting page and bring back the direct line. 

I am happy to report that after at least 10 hours calling and chatting at this moment my January cruise now shows on my medallion app. YAY!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Thanks for doing this.

I just wish Princess would be upfront with the issues, Can you imagine what folks who don't use Cruise Critic are going through!?

Princess needs to step up and own this debacle.

Yes, you will be able to cruise as long as you bring the following to port on embarkation day, and we humbly apologize for the time and frustration many of our dedicated customers are experiencing.

Agree with you 100%.  Mistakes are made by companies all the time but the way they can maintain loyalty is to admit it and then actually do something about it.  Instead they put both their loyal guests through the frustration of long phone hold times and provide little assistance to their CSRs to deal with these angry customers.  A bad situation all around.  As I told a frustrated friend the other day, I feel like we allow ourselves to go through this idiocy created by corporate because the onboard experience is so wonderful.  I just don't know how much longer we can do this though, especially when there are alternatives out there that may not be as stressful pre-cruise.

• Like 4