Rate the Restaurants on Riviera

itzfitz

On 10/11/2021 at 3:15 PM, WESTEAST said:

All four are great however, we've ranked our favourites: 1, Red Ginger 2, Jacques 3, Toscana and  4, Polo.

Just the ones we would pick.   Great taste

All are great.  One reservation comments are correct if book prior to sailing,  Best to do as soon as you are allowed.  If you want to see the nightly shows you need to allow at least 90 minutes to start before the show.

I love them all, but you asked for a ranking:  1  Jacques  2 Toscano  3 Red Ginger 4 Polo.

The comment about the escargot is bang on.  Also loved Jacques mussels.  By the way you can order more as much as you can stomach  (eg: both the above and caesar salad just to start the meal) 

• Like 1

Two and a half hours until my first O specialties reservation...sooooo excited!! I know, silly 🙂
I have a very unimportant question if anyone happens to stop in...my husband is almost always a vegetarian (and no seafood/fish = severe pain), so we will be skipping Polo. Should I reserve Polo and "trade" it later for a more veg-friendly specialty, or should I just not make a Polo reservation (that someone else may want)? I'm leaning toward the latter.

47 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Two and a half hours until my first O specialties reservation...sooooo excited!! I know, silly 🙂
I have a very unimportant question if anyone happens to stop in...my husband is almost always a vegetarian (and no seafood/fish = severe pain), so we will be skipping Polo. Should I reserve Polo and "trade" it later for a more veg-friendly specialty, or should I just not make a Polo reservation (that someone else may want)? I'm leaning toward the latter.

If you want to try Polo  go for it

My DH does not eat much meat but he asked for  salad/ vegetables /fries   & other non meat dishes ..no problem

I enjoy the crab cakes  😉

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you want to try Polo  go for it

My DH does not eat much meat but he asked for  salad/ vegetables /fries   & other non meat dishes ..no problem

I enjoy the crab cakes  😉

Was it there I had the lobster mac n cheese?  Which was huge and wonderful 🙂

11 minutes ago, barryboatman said:
Only slightly off-topic, and in this order:

1. Five Guys

2. Waves Grill
3. In-n-out
4. Red Robin

I don't want to hear any crap about Shake Shack and their mushy hamburgers. I firmly stand with my picks above.

But 1, 3 and 4 aren't on Oceania ships that I'm aware of. PLUS they're chains which I avoid like the plague 🙂

Speaking of Waves, those who are new need to head directly to the beef tenderloin and lobster medallion sandwich (some add truffle sauce), second only to the grilled lamb chops for breakfast on the Oceania pantheon of great cruise foods…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, barryboatman said:

I'm not a medical doctor, but I'm pretty sure that a Five Guys hamburger ("all the way"), which is to say a two patty burger, when consumed with their excellent fries, will inoculate you from plague. It will also set you back a sawbuck for just the burger.

And as to my second choice, whether for hamburgers or something else, Waves is the best grill, with the best grill menu, at sea.

You're funny. Sorry I missed that the first time around 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Speaking of Waves, those who are new need to head directly to the beef tenderloin and lobster medallion sandwich (some add truffle sauce), second only to the grilled lamb chops for breakfast on the Oceania pantheon of great cruise foods…

As far as I know (one cruise only so far) we got the same at the Terrace. And one time Bob ordered one of those famous burgers from Waves and they happily delivered it to him on the aft deck.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

You can order a special vegetarian meal for him by visiting the service desk at least one day in advance of your reservation. They will gladly have it for him when you order at Polo. This way you can enjoy Polo and he can eat safely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, barryboatman said:

1. Five Guys

2. Waves Grill
3. In-n-out
4. Red Robin

I don't want to hear any crap about Shake Shack and their mushy hamburgers. I firmly stand with my picks above.

You are funny!  It speaks volumes about the Waves Grill!  I love a good hamburger.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, barryboatman said:

1. Five Guys

2. Waves Grill
3. In-n-out
4. Red Robin

Not to encourage this but I went to Five Guys once. Ho hum was my take, what were people talking about. Red Robin was on a par with Chili's or Applebee's burgers for me. They never made it in my rotation. Never been to In & Out, thought about it while in Las Vegas recently, but didn't make it. 

I do like the burgers at Waves though. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 2:19 AM, EasyGoingGuy said:

it was birthday night and there were at least 4 renditions by the crew of happy birthday during our dinner.

We've not yet sailed on Riviera (2023 for that) but have eaten on Marina's equivalent restaurants.  We particularly enjoyed the GDR and, in some ways, more so than the specialities.  We found Jacques, Polo and Toscana to be pretty much on a level and I wouldnt want to rate them one above another. It was my companion's birthday the night we ate in Jacques and the restaurant manager whispered to me that they were going to sing Happy Birthday. I think we'd both have preferred if they hadnt. My only disappointment about any food related aspects of the cruise was Red Ginger. We found the food very bland in comparision to what we had expected from East Asian dishes - a considerable dumbing down of the use of various spices, etc. We will probably give it another try but, then again, maybe we will pass on it. It would be no loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

My only disappointment about any food related aspects of the cruise was Red Ginger. We found the food very bland in comparision to what we had expected from East Asian dishes - a considerable dumbing down of the use of various spices, etc. We will probably give it another try but, then again, maybe we will pass on it. It would be no loss.

Just tell the waiter  when ordering you would like  a bit of spice ... more traditional  dish

I had the Green Curry dish & it must have been for someone else  it was so spicy hot I could not  tell if my tea was hot or not as my mouth was anesthetized

They can always add spice  but cannot remove it  😉

• Haha 1

I haven’t yet sailed on Oceania since the pandemic shutdown and most importantly since the recent introduction of the sorely needed new menus in the Specialties. Therefore, it is impossible for me to perform any analysis or rating on the current restaurants. 

Wev'e dined in some of the finest French restaurants all around the world including France. Jacques on about ten visits is among them. Each meal was divine.

We'd dined in some of the finest Italian  restaurants around the world including Italy. Tosaca is among them.

Red Ginger excellent. So is Polo Grill. MDR is also a very fine dining establishment. We get so spoiled by the 4 others we often tend to forget that.

• Like 2

Food is so suggestive but here is my opinion. Jacques definitely goes to the top of the list. Never had a bad meal and everything is delicious. When we were sailing up on the French Atlantic coast they had the best mussels they brought on board that day. Their dover sole is fabulous.

Next up is Toscana. Always had a good meal. Osso Bucco is excellent.

Third is Red Ginger. The duck and watermelon salad is great and so is the sea bass. We had one inedible dinner. I believe it was the beef short ribs. Our friends who ate there earlier ordered the same and sent it back so just a bad piece of meat so I'll give them a pass. If you want extra spice just ask.

The last is Polo. We had many a bad steak and swordfish dinner. The swordfish on multiple occasions was rubbery and the steaks tough and full of gristle. We decided to keep the reservations and order either filet mignon (hopefully medium rare if they listen to you), lamb rack or crab cakes lol. The lamb rack is good but so are the baby lamb chops at breakfast in the main dining room lol. They use to have a fabulous Iberico Pork chop but it is not on the menu anymore. The pork chop available is different and you can taste the difference. The veal chop was good as well. They say their lobster is from Maine but it sure doesn't look or taste like any Maine lobster we have eaten in New England. 

No one will go hungry and all the restaurants make for an enjoyable meal.

Edited by TERRIER1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TERRIER1 said:

Food is so suggestive but here is my opinion. Jacques definitely goes to the top of the list. Never had a bad meal and everything is delicious. When we were sailing up on the French Atlantic coast they had the best mussels they brought on board that day. Their dover sole is fabulous.

Next up is Toscana. Always had a good meal. Osso Bucco is excellent.

Third is Red Ginger. The duck and watermelon salad is great and so is the sea bass. We had one inedible dinner. I believe it was the beef short ribs. Our friends who ate there earlier ordered the same and sent it back so just a bad piece of meat so I'll give them a pass. If you want extra spice just ask.

The last is Polo. We had many a bad steak and swordfish dinner. The swordfish on multiple occasions was rubbery and the steaks tough and full of gristle. We decided to keep the reservations and order either filet mignon (hopefully medium rare if they listen to you), lamb rack or crab cakes lol. The lamb rack is good but so are the baby lamb chops at breakfast in the main dining room lol. They use to have a fabulous Iberico Pork chop but it is not on the menu anymore. The pork chop available is different and you can taste the difference. The veal chop was good as well. They say their lobster is from Maine but it sure doesn't look or taste like any Maine lobster we have eaten in New England. 

No one will go hungry and all the restaurants make for an enjoyable meal.

It’s also subjective. Everybody has different tastes. Vive la difference!

On 10/13/2021 at 11:27 PM, Clutj said:

That's my fave and order it all the time.
I ask to leave off the bun and fries. Enjoy.
This will be our 9th time on the Oceania Riviera in March.

image002.thumb.jpg.423131aede09bed4d18682653e907fe2.jpg

Edited by alibaba1
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 7:49 AM, Harters said:

We've not yet sailed on Riviera (2023 for that) but have eaten on Marina's equivalent restaurants.  We particularly enjoyed the GDR and, in some ways, more so than the specialities.  We found Jacques, Polo and Toscana to be pretty much on a level and I wouldnt want to rate them one above another. It was my companion's birthday the night we ate in Jacques and the restaurant manager whispered to me that they were going to sing Happy Birthday. I think we'd both have preferred if they hadnt. My only disappointment about any food related aspects of the cruise was Red Ginger. We found the food very bland in comparision to what we had expected from East Asian dishes - a considerable dumbing down of the use of various spices, etc. We will probably give it another try but, then again, maybe we will pass on it. It would be no loss.

I wasn’t thrilled the first time that I ate at Red Ginger.  Just didn’t find dishes that great. However,  we returned and tried other selections.  It got better.  Now, it is one of my favorites.  Tell your server that you like spicy food.  They will suggest dishes to try.  Jacques is still my first choice.  

Life on Riviera is GRRRRRREAT!
OK, here are the current menus so hopefully you can read them. We are with a group of 6-8 and have eaten in all the restaurants several times as we are in PH’s so we do get extra access to them.  We have all tried different items each night beyond out tried and true favorites. We range from 20+ O cruisers to First Timers and the consensus is OUTSTANDING. 

Favorite restaurant is an individual thing so just test them all and decide for yourselves. 
Mauibabes

DCABCF56-26AC-46F2-AAC3-9FAE44C19204.jpeg

4250BB58-1A6C-47B3-B169-6C76B00F7F8B.jpeg

8F25D728-6116-42DF-830E-561B20E881DA.jpeg

720BB8A4-200B-4B3E-BD6A-158D55F9424C.jpeg

67635A30-947A-4113-A56D-A8DF70AFB70B.jpeg

BCC8B3FA-0937-4B2D-92F4-71877A4DCF7E.jpeg

190C7A7D-CA3E-4892-B30A-3A1A190CC764.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Jacques has quite a following so I can not see Oceania abandoning those menu items that are so well entrenched over 12 years of sailing on Marina and Riviera. No despair needed. 
While there can be some hiccups in every restaurant and a meal here and there that arrives warm vs. hot or a prime steak that has some gristle, I can assure you the restaurant Maitre d’s are going way beyond in their effort to deliver EXCELLENCE to every guest. All of our meals and service from the staff has been exceptional. Dazzling these first guests back to the seas on Riviera and Marina are critical to their success. I know from talking with guests throughout the ship, the O Club Ambassadors are working all their magic to find cruise availability for all the people trying to find any itinerary to sail on.  We have had to go two years out to find some options. Everyone we talk to can not wait for the 2023 and 2024 and 2025 itineraries to be released in April or maybe sooner. 

Ciao from Horizons aboard Riviera,

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1