NSW Reopening to international flights from 1 Nov - NO Quarantine

lissie

Wow - just  saw this https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/453598/victoria-records-2179-new-covid-19-cases-nsw-dropping-quarantine-for-international-visitors didn't expect  it to happen quite so fast! 

At least means that if I have to leave NZ there will some airfares available ex Sydney.   Also suspect that it means the NZ/Oz bubble is dead until we all open up as normal. First dose figures in NZ now over 84% so here's hoping it won't be too long 

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, time will tell if this decision is too early or not, personally  I think it is too early, they should allow residents back first.

What do you mean? I imagine that all the early flights will be returnees - unlikely to be tourists  as they would be  stuck in NSW and not able to go elsewhere 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lissie said:

What do you mean? I imagine that all the early flights will be returnees - unlikely to be tourists  as they would be  stuck in NSW and not able to go elsewhere 

The term used appears to be "fully vaccinated international travellers" which leaves it wide open.

I would rather an easing of restrictions see how things go, adjusting accordingly rather than this throw caution to the wind and hope for the best approach. We didn't even finish home quarantine trial to see if that is option we should consider. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lissie said:

International  visitors implies they are not returnees/ Aussie residents

Im a little gobsmacked on this announcement, while I really believe that there should be some opportunity for citizens to come home, I expected a lifting of caps, home quarantine etc…

to do this without even analysing the effects of the current opening up, just seems ridiculous. Let’s get our hospitals back to functioning more normally, wait and see what happens when schools open etc just seems to be very premature, I’d say he is trying to win a popularity contest!

• Like 3

This from the PM just now - ABC website -

Prime Minister says first people allowed into Australia will be citizens, residents and their families
Scott Morrison said the decision to let those on working and travel visas still rests with the Commonwealth.

The Commonwealth has not made any decision on this yet.  

• Like 4

"Australians and immediate family will be allowed to leave and re-enter NSW without quarantine, Scott Morrison has announced. 

After 20 months of being trapped in the country due to Covid-19 border closures, vaccinated Aussies in any state can finally go overseas from November 1.

But only NSW will let them come back without arrival caps or two-week quarantine in a hotel - and foreign tourists remain totally banned." Source Daily Mail.

No cruises until all State borders are open, and after the Federal election has elected a new Government. IMHO.🤔

ACT has opened its borders to some surrounding LGA's, including my area Eurobodalla. Makes it easier to get to Canberra, in my case for a medical appointment.

So cruising on Lake Burley Griffin is available for some of you cruise fans.

2019-cover.jpg.d7902f899697ccf23ef5af35b59625dd.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So cruising on Lake Burley Griffin is available for some of you cruise fans.

your post reminded me that Tracey & I did a Lake Burley Griffin on a weekend visit a few years ago. I'm putting another one on my list 🙂

• Like 2

Not to have any quarantine at all is just nuts. Once again, it puts all of Australia at risk particularly states such as Victoria who have responded in good faith to the call for there to be an ease of movement between NSW and Vic. I would expect and hope that Victoria will now rescind the allowance for people to move from NSW to Victoria without quarantine. Re-opening the international border by NSW, unilaterally, has re-written the rule book.

40 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Not to have any quarantine at all is just nuts. Once again, it puts all of Australia at risk particularly states such as Victoria who have responded in good faith to the call for there to be an ease of movement between NSW and Vic. I would expect and hope that Victoria will now rescind the allowance for people to move from NSW to Victoria without quarantine. Re-opening the international border by NSW, unilaterally, has re-written the rule book.

NSW will be 90% double vaxed by 1st November. What other State will be able to say that

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Not the ones which didn’t receive the early 

supply of sufficient doses of the vaccine.

Congratulations NSW!

Yes but there is now plenty of supply of all vaccines, and yet there is still hesitancy.

Maybe those people in these states think if they dont get the jab, they wont get to 80%, so wont reopen.

30 minutes ago, stki said:

Yes but there is now plenty of supply of all vaccines, and yet there is still hesitancy.

Maybe those people in these states think if they dont get the jab, they wont get to 80%, so wont reopen.

Previously, I feel that a lot of people in all States, were holding off on having the vaccine because they didn't see any urgency. When this Delta outbreak started in NSW, many changed their minds. We saw in Queensland that many people also went to have the vaccine when the NSW outbreak got out of control, but it was hard to come by.

Those I know in Qld who haven't had the jab, have a medical reason. Two members of my family have waited for medical advice on which vaccine is appropriate. One has an appointment for 7th Nov and the other is still waiting for doctors to 'get off the fence' and give him definite advice. A couple of other people I know have been delaying for no good reason (IMO), but they will probably get the jab very shortly.

I don't think anyone is looking at the bigger picture you suggest - that they are delaying so the state won't get to 80%. After all, one person more or less won't make any difference.

3 hours ago, stki said:

Yes there is plenty of supply of vaccines now but not having the vaccines early effects the double dose date.  Queensland has 95% infant vaccine rate, so there is not overall vaccine hesitancy.

Thousands of "Anti vaxxers" all over the world have had all types of vaccines dating back to when it was just done no questions asked. Then some people latched on to some long since debunked report linking vaccines to autism and suddenly there was something to blame for their issues. And then add to that the politics surrounding this pandemic and these particular vaccines and an even bigger group of people lost their minds.

Best of luck everyone I hope you can get your country united enough to at least be able to travel in your own country.

• Like 4

Personally I would be very surprised if the antivaxer population were more than 2% of the eligible vaccination population (16 and over), of course they also include their kids into it as well. This may expand  the percentage  to 3 to 5.

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Personally I would be very surprised if the antivaxer population were more than 2% of the eligible vaccination population (16 and over), of course they also include their kids into it as well. This may expand  the percentage  to 3 to 5.

I think you are most likely right Mic, the anti-vaxxers are just a very loud small minority. 

• Like 1