2 quick gripes about Celebrity...

Stockjock

1 hour ago, mexico8 said:

There don't seem to be any lower tier cabins on the Edge that I can find.   If we need an accessible cabin and want a balcony we have to pay for E1 category which will cost us $2,000 more because we need the space for my mobility scooter etc.   

You're right.  The only categories lower than E1 with HANDICAP Accesibility are category 6 and 9, and neither have balconies. 

2 hours ago, mexico8 said:

I have not seen any other accessible cabins other than category E1 which is what all the accessible cabins seems to be.   The cruise we are looking at is two years away - in  late 2023 and it would be a little unusual that all the "cheaper" accessible cabins are all booked.   It certainly looks like Celebrity deliberately put all the accessible cabins up about $500 to $1,000 more for each segment of the  3 back to back cruises we were interested in.   Not possible to get an accessible cabin in a lower category - they don't seem to exist on the Edge.  If we need an accessible cabin we would have to pay at least $2,000 more than the non-accessible balcony cabins.   Hardly seems fair to me.

I missed it if you said prior that this was on the Edge. Well, accessible cabins do have greater footprint. Space matters when it comes to pricing om a ship..

• Thanks 2

99% of my gripes have something to do with the IT department at X. I spoken to many IT people at X including the Head who happened to be on a cruise with us and President. They just do not have the people and resources and desire to fix things. Every change makes something else worse. Once on the ship all is ok. We leave Monday for an eleven day cruise. 

11 hours ago, mexico8 said:

There don't seem to be any lower tier cabins on the Edge that I can find.   If we need an accessible cabin and want a balcony we have to pay for E1 category which will cost us $2,000 more because we need the space for my mobility scooter etc.   

Yes, I do understand yet if that is what is available, then unfortunately that is it.

I do not think that on M or S ships do they offer the lower tier cabins with balconies that offer the space required for scooters? Not sure about that as this is the first comment I can remember addressing this.

Also, are you writing about 'traditional' balconies or IV's?

bon voyage

Then there are folks like us that really can’t find anything super troubling to complain about regarding Celebrity. Sure, there are shortfalls being encountered as they start back up. But OTOH:

1. We have a Celebrity Vacation Planner which we can get in touch with relatively easily to resolve any issues we may encounter, even though we’ve gone through 3 of them since September.

2. We’ve been cruising out of Florida since August; although some have been cruising since June, unlike most other cruise lines who wanted to take a more conservative approach. For us we’re on our second set of cruises now which span a total of 37 days AND we haven’t had to wear a mask anytime while onboard. However, we do voluntarily wear one when riding an elevator.

3. We’ve been able to gain an extra 89 CC points and counting over the past year playing the Celebrity Power Up Points games which have allowed us to jump up to Elite+. If I recall, no other cruise line has offered that added value that I’m aware of.

4. When prices have dropped after final payment on a variety of our booked cruises, sometimes within a week of sailing, we have gotten the difference by way of the Best Price Offer program posted to our onboard accounts. Is there any other cruise line offering that after final payment perk?

But most important Celebrity has pretty much been out in front this whole time when it comes to sailing out of Florida with a 95% vaccination rate, despite the FL law AND without requiring a mask to be worn indoors mind you, while many of the other cruise lines were being more cautious. 

Sorry, I realize no cruise line is perfect, but I just wanted to throw in some positives! 😎

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mexico8 said:

To add to the griping session I just got quoted about $2,000 extra for a 40 day cruise because I need an accessible cabin.   It seems that Celebrity put their accessible cabins in a higher category and disabled people have to pay a big premium ($$$$) to get a cabin that accommodates their disability.   What a royal rip-off.   I have cruised extensively and this is the first time it's been such a blatant cash grab.   

I think I will take my business elsewhere and not play their nasty game.

I've not had this experience.... what ship and category of room were you booking?

We noted that on Edge, there are no S3 rooms available that are accessible.  There are S2 rooms that are accessible. The S3 rooms are on the side that the Magic Carpet goes up and down, and there are a limited number of them, and they are considered "obstructed".  So, you have to book an S2 accessible Sky Suite if you want an accessible Sky Suite.  Just how it is. 

They don't let you book a guarantee room if you want an accessible room, because you need to choose a specific room.  Also just how it is.

For regular Veranda rooms, they have how many different classes of room?  Ranging from partly obstructed to not obstructed at all.  Yes, there are 2D rooms that are cheaper than the accessible 1B rooms.  Again, just how it is.   The cost difference is usually small.

It is expensive to be disabled.  It is what it is.  I don't consider it a "nasty game" just that I have to choose a specific room and it usually isn't the top category in a class nor the bottom category in a class.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mexico8 said:

I have not seen any other accessible cabins other than category E1 which is what all the accessible cabins seems to be.   The cruise we are looking at is two years away - in  late 2023 and it would be a little unusual that all the "cheaper" accessible cabins are all booked.   It certainly looks like Celebrity deliberately put all the accessible cabins up about $500 to $1,000 more for each segment of the  3 back to back cruises we were interested in.   Not possible to get an accessible cabin in a lower category - they don't seem to exist on the Edge.  If we need an accessible cabin we would have to pay at least $2,000 more than the non-accessible balcony cabins.   Hardly seems fair to me.

Understandable that you would not be pleased.  It does not help your situation, but perhaps Celebrity built the accessible cabins on a higher deck?  Are the regular cabins in the exact same area a lower category?  
I wonder if the infinity veranda area is different on the accessible cabins for some reason.

Is it the same situation on the Solstice Class?

17 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I’ve not once been asked to enter CC number, though clearly Celebrity website is a YMMV situation.  I finally bit the bullet and took good advice of many on CC, got a TA, so far experience has been awesome.

Nah, say it isn't so. 

As an example of other cruise lines, last year we booked with Holland America on the Koningsdam.   There were no accessible cabins available (they often book out early and quickly).   We booked a regular balcony cabin and then some months later an accessible balcony cabin become available.   It turned out there was some life boat blocking part of the view so we got a hefty refund and a bigger accessible cabin.   Not all cruise line price their accessible cabins hundreds or thousands of dollars higher.   They offer obstructed views and various price points.  Celebrity does not appear to be one of them so I will take my business elsewhere to one of the cruise lines that don't appear to exploit handicapped people like myself.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

As an example of other cruise lines, last year we booked with Holland America on the Koningsdam.   There were no accessible cabins available (they often book out early and quickly).   We booked a regular balcony cabin and then some months later an accessible balcony cabin become available.   It turned out there was some life boat blocking part of the view so we got a hefty refund and a bigger accessible cabin.   Not all cruise line price their accessible cabins hundreds or thousands of dollars higher.   They offer obstructed views and various price points.  Celebrity does not appear to be one of them so I will take my business elsewhere to one of the cruise lines that don't appear to exploit handicapped people like myself.

Sorry you feel that way AND quite possibly valid points.

It sounds like HAL is your go to line AND while I Am not sure, I do not believe X price their cabins in the amounts you cite, but then again their Accessible Cabins are often some of the first to be sold out as such I must believe that there is a certain population who believe that the cabins are fairly priced, to some great degree.

HAL may have better and greater variety of accommodations for handicapped individuals such as yourself w/scooters and at a price point that you consider to be fair(er).

Supply and demand.

bon voyage

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Sorry you feel that way AND quite possibly valid points.

It sounds like HAL is your go to line AND while I Am not sure, I do not believe X price their cabins in the amounts you cite, but then again their Accessible Cabins are often some of the first to be sold out as such I must believe that there is a certain population who believe that the cabins are fairly priced, to some great degree.

HAL may have better and greater variety of accommodations for handicapped individuals such as yourself w/scooters and at a price point that you consider to be fair(er).

Supply and demand.

bon voyage

I might add that I have also seen outstanding deals on MSC in terms of accessible cabins.  Always a good idea to check around, especially when one has a specific need.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

So use a travel agent already.  No muss, no fuss.  And you might get a nice amount of OBC.

I am not a fan of using travel agents for numerous reasons; however, I have to agree with this. 

If having to enter information on the website and listen to the same automated message every time you call is something that annoys you then just book with a travel agent to avoid all that!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I find that there are a surprising number of rude folks here.  Fortunately, there's the "ignore" option, which is useful.

When reading this tread I have to agree with you.

Mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say - Shut Up.   

I wonder how many of these rude people were also Bullies in school.    Best advise it to ignore them or use a nice feature of Cruise Critic -   Use the IGNORE BUTTON.   It is accessible in pull down menu next to your picture top right corner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

sj - thank you for showing that there are options... definitely.

bon voyage

We have cruised with MSC and yes, their prices are very good.   We are also 4 star Mariners with HAL and look forward to sailing with them and having free laundry next time we cruise with them (it will be our first time as 4 star) and there are some nice perks.   

We have cruised with many different cruise lines and have never encountered the type of price increases that Celebrity are charging for an accessible cabin.  We always had more choice and could decided if we wanted to pay for different locations on the ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the OP on the COVID message.  There needs to be a way to bypass it.

Why can't you print a copy of your invoice or at least get a breakdown of the cost that you can print?  Carnival does this.   

Why are passengers tied together in cruise planner, check in etc?  Everyone who travels together is not a couple.  It's not that I travel with anyone I don't trust but I don't see why accounts cannot be separate unless you want to combine them.    

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

Why are passengers tied together in cruise planner, check in etc?  Everyone who travels together is not a couple.  It's not that I travel with anyone I don't trust but I don't see why accounts cannot be separate unless you want to combine them.    

My very favorite story about two people who are not a couple traveling together:  My first ever Celebrity cruise on the Mercury, my sister and I were sharing a concierge cabin.  Back in the day, one got personalized stationery in concierge.  Celebrity apparently could not cope with the fact that we were two women sharing a cabin--my stationery said Ms. my name and hers said Mr. her name. We got a bit laugh out of that.

We did not have any trouble separating our accounts, they were charged to separate credit cards.  These days I mostly sail solo, so I can't say I've had a problem with accounts being combined, but who knows with all the automation these days.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My very favorite story about two people who are not a couple traveling together:  My first ever Celebrity cruise on the Mercury, my sister and I were sharing a concierge cabin.  Back in the day, one got personalized stationery in concierge.  Celebrity apparently could not cope with the fact that we were two women sharing a cabin--my stationery said Ms. and hers said Mr.  We got a bit laugh out of that.

We did not have any trouble separating our accounts, they were charged to separate credit cards.  These days I mostly sail solo, so I can't say I've had a problem with accounts being combined, but who knows with all the automation these days.

That has mostly been corrected.  As a male couple we often get things like that.   They also don't know how to handle a male couple (or I guess a female couple) at many events -   at Zenith lunches they usually bring a group photo to each couple but we usually get 2 pictures.   Also a the Chef's Table when we returned to our room they had delivered TWO of those 10 pound books personalized by Chef B.     Oh well. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That has mostly been corrected.  As a male couple we often get things like that.   They also don't know how to handle a male couple (or I guess a female couple) at many events -   at Zenith lunches they usually bring a group photo to each couple but we usually get 2 pictures.   Also a the Chef's Table when we returned to our room they had delivered TWO of those 10 pound books personalized by Chef B.     Oh well. 

Well, we weren't even a couple.  Just two sisters living in different states sharing a cabin.

What did you do with the other 10-pound book?  Find somebody to gift it to or just abandon it?

6 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, we weren't even a couple.  Just two sisters living in different states sharing a cabin.

What did you do with the other 10-pound book?  Find somebody to gift it to or just abandon it?

I did haul it home and plan to give it to a good friend in Australia that collect cookbooks.   Unfortunately our Australia cruise was cancelled so still sitting in the closet. 

51 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

ji - two (2) cookbooks and one would be a gift... LOL

bon voyage

I empathize with anyone requiring a cabin on any cruise ship where a disability is involved.  But, this isn’t just a Celebrity focused post….overall, cruise ships are probably the least accessible vehicles for those with disabilities.  

Before you even get to the cabin, hallways are narrow.  There are lots and lots of steps.  Elevators are relatively small.  If it’s crowded, like on dis/embarkation day, it’s very difficult to move around, particularly with scooters, walkers, etc.  You’re always seated at the back of the theater for shows.  You’re unable to do simple things like reach to fill your plates and/or navigate the buffets.  The excursions may or may not be accessible in foreign countries……Etc, etc, etc.

So again, I’m empathetic.  I know I wouldn’t want to go through any of that.  

The question I always have, why subject yourself to any of that?  If you’re paying thousands of dollars, I think I’d look for a vacation that offers wide open spaces to make getting around easier.  Resort hotels are usually these wide open areas with accommodations that would be more amenable to a disabled person’s situation.

Not trying to be insensitive.  I’m just genuinely curious, as that could someday be my predicament.