Princess Elite changes?

Kruznkat

We did the 5 day Cabo cruise a couple of months ago. It was our first cruise since the shutdown. I was wondering if they’ve cut down on the stateroom amenities. The only extra bathroom product I got was an Emory board?  Used to get slippers, sewing kit, or other little surprises.  Also, no turndown service (chocolates); hubby was disappointed in that. 😊 I know it’s a small thing, but I want to know what to expect on our January cruise. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Yes, there have been changes ...

Princess ought to be embarrassed to provide only an Emory board.  I can buy a pkg of a dozen boards at The Dollar Store for $1.

I suspect it's either cash flow or supply chain issues.

So the biggest changes are:

1. Paying for wifi

2. Not get loyalty OBC

3. No turndown service

You can get around #1 by buying it pre-cruise & receiving 50% back as OBC. No way to get around #2. To get around #3 just request it one time or nightly once you board. Miniscule issue IMHO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, waltd said:

I'd like to think it's supply chain issues.   Just go with the flow.   Not a normal 2 years.   Hopefully things will get better. 🙂

I’m like you & feel it’s supply chain issues which would explain why so many people have different experiences.

For the first time on our recent cruise we got a blue Princess logo kit with items for shaving, brushing & comb in addition to some of the previous upgraded toiletries. Our minibar had no Diet Cokes & room service said they were hoping to get their inventory resupplied during turnaround day so my wife could get her 10 DCs which she received. Even our Costco is experiencing supply problems & didn’t have any Coke products until our next shopping trip. I’ve decided to go with the flow as things slowly return to more normal.

• Like 6

On the Majestic this past August, my Elite bathroom amenities were Le Mon "delicate spray," the luffa mitt, conditioner, emery board, and shower cap. My cabin steward explained that they were out of the organza bags.

My minibar setup had 8 vodkas instead of the usual mix of vodka, gin, brandy, and Scotch. I also did not initially receive any sparkling water. I was able to switch the 8 vodkas for beers and my sodas for sparkling water on the second day. 

• Like 1

I've been traveling on land this fall and stayed at some upscale hotels where I used to get a complimentary morning paper.  They were nowhere to be found.  When I would inquire, the answer was always because of covid.  My standard response was "How many cases of covid were traced back to newspapers"?

I suspect covid is a good excuse to cut back on some of the frills, and once they are gone, they're gone.  Anyone seen a midnight buffet lately?

• Like 7

Elite changes are elimination of loyalty OBC, and free internet minutes (platinum also). Believe turn down service is now on request. Was never an elite benefit. All cabins and all loyalty levels received turn down service. Chocolates probably just missing because of lack of inventory. Lack of inventory is also a reason for the missing items in the elite bag of goodies. 

In the past:

Never received slippers as an elite benefit. I think they were for passengers in full suites regardless of loyalty level.

Received a sewing kit upon request. Not automatic.

53 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've been traveling on land this fall and stayed at some upscale hotels where I used to get a complimentary morning paper.  They were nowhere to be found.  When I would inquire, the answer was always because of covid.  My standard response was "How many cases of covid were traced back to newspapers"?

I suspect covid is a good excuse to cut back on some of the frills, and once they are gone, they're gone.  Anyone seen a midnight buffet lately?

Spot on. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

the answer was always because of covid. 

I really get tired (annoyed sometimes) at this empty excuse when they cannot explain further as there is no real answer.  I'd rather they tell me that due to reduced business during Covid, they had to cut back in some areas and the daily newspaper was one.  Now, I don't read newspapers anymore as I use news websites instead, so wouldn't bother me to lose that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

NO MORE CHOCOLATES ? 😢

No. The excuse is due to Covid. I don't see it as a valid excuse. It's probably just a way to get fewer people to request the turn-down service at night because they won't be missing out on receiving the chocolates. I didn't not really miss the chocolates. I usually saved them up during the cruise and brought them back to share with my co-workers. 

Just now, geoherb said:

No. The excuse is due to Covid. I don't see it as a valid excuse. It's probably just a way to get fewer people to request the turn-down service at night because they won't be missing out on receiving the chocolates. I didn't not really miss the chocolates. I usually saved them up during the cruise and brought them back to share with my co-workers. 

We always save them also to reminisce about out last cruise when at home. 

I can't see what so great about a turn down service except that they remove that heave cover from the bed. If the cabin steward doesn't remove & store it, it'll just get thrown on the floor anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

We always save them also to reminisce about out last cruise when at home. 

I can't see what so great about a turn down service except that they remove that heave cover from the bed. If the cabin steward doesn't remove & store it, it'll just get thrown on the floor anyway.

What I like about the evening service is that the cabin steward would change our towels if necessary then. On Caribbean cruises, we frequently need them changed then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 10:38 PM, geoherb said:

On the Majestic this past August, my Elite bathroom amenities were Le Mon "delicate spray," the luffa mitt, conditioner, emery board, and shower cap. My cabin steward explained that they were out of the organza bags.

My minibar setup had 8 vodkas instead of the usual mix of vodka, gin, brandy, and Scotch. I also did not initially receive any sparkling water. I was able to switch the 8 vodkas for beers and my sodas for sparkling water on the second day. 

That sounds more like what we used to get!  It’s weird that you had all vodka in your mini bar. We had a variety, but exchanged it for all Vodka!😊

On 11/23/2021 at 4:54 AM, skynight said:

Elite changes are elimination of loyalty OBC, and free internet minutes (platinum also). Believe turn down service is now on request. Was never an elite benefit. All cabins and all loyalty levels received turn down service. Chocolates probably just missing because of lack of inventory. Lack of inventory is also a reason for the missing items in the elite bag of goodies. 

In the past:

Never received slippers as an elite benefit. I think they were for passengers in full suites regardless of loyalty level.

Received a sewing kit upon request. Not automatic.

I’ve been on many Princess cruises since getting to Elite level, and had slippers on every one of them. They we fabric slides with rubber soles. Pretty much disposables, but great for wearing in cabin and balcony. I have never stayed in any other than a balcony cabin. 

As others noted, turn down service was previously offered in all cabins, not just elites.

Most cruise lines have ended evening turn-down service during the pandemic. It is less work for the staff and less exposure potential.  I don't know this for a fact but I suspect the change allows cruiselines to assign more cabins per steward.

If you need fresh towels or sheets you can just call for your steward. On a recent cruise our requests of this nature were handled immediatley.

Missing chocolates?  I suspect that it is not hard to find chocolate on most ships 🙂

Hmmmm… I did not even think about this, but we are currently in the Regal. 
Internet is not a thing, because we are one a package. 
No upgraded toiletries or amenities at all. 
No loyalty OBC at all. 
Turn down on request… but no chocolates.  

Funny, I didn’t even miss any of it- until I read about it- but the loyalty OBC.  

Sad. 

2 hours ago, TracieABD said:

Hmmmm… I did not even think about this, but we are currently in the Regal. 
Internet is not a thing, because we are one a package. 
No upgraded toiletries or amenities at all. 
No loyalty OBC at all. 
Turn down on request… but no chocolates.  

Funny, I didn’t even miss any of it- until I read about it- but the loyalty OBC.  

Sad. 

The loyalty OBC ended months ago

On Majestic in October our elite toiletry kit was in a zippered bag ( much nicer than the organza bags).  It contained a loofa, Emory board, shower cap, a razor with shaving cream and two disposable toothbrushes.  I ended up using the zippered bag to hold my phone and other small items in my beach bag.  

9CB85092-6D7E-4BB3-AA6C-C81DC8B32AA1.thumb.jpeg.34b604b7f3104d4c3317cf5ed84ac430.jpeg

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 4

Wow! I got a few things on the Majestic in August, but definitely not a little zippered bag like that. My cabin steward even apologized that they were out of the organza bags. I'm hoping that Princess has stocked the Caribbean well enough to give us our amenities. There are plenty I can do without and usually leave behind--like the sisal mitt and shower cap. But I do like getting the lip balm, emery board, and conditioner. 

7 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

On Majestic in October our elite toiletry kit was in a zippered bag ( much nicer than the organza bags).  It contained a loofa, Emory board, shower cap, a razor with shaving cream and two disposable toothbrushes.  I ended up using the zippered bag to hold my phone and other small items in my beach bag.  

9CB85092-6D7E-4BB3-AA6C-C81DC8B32AA1.thumb.jpeg.34b604b7f3104d4c3317cf5ed84ac430.jpeg

We received the same things on Majestic’s 10/23 cruise.