How to pack for Theme nights?

undasea

I am soon to go on my first cruise, Dec 5th for 7 days, and wondering, how do you know what Theme Nights there are on a given cruise? I've seen mention of a "White Night" on NCL cruises, but are there other Themes nights that people dress up for? I know I don't have to bring Formal wear and dressing up nice is optional but...

Thanks for any advice!

1 hour ago, undasea said:

Thanks everyone for straightening me out (like the correction on White Night vs Glow Party). I won't worry about special nights then, except I WILL be packing my cowboy boots, just sayin", lol. 

If you must take them..wear them don't pack them :classic_wink:

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The plan to pack one's cowboy boots rather than wearing them tends to confirm certain opinions about people who own cowboy boots.

I'm probably going to regret asking, but OK, what opinion does it confirm? 

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The plan to pack one's cowboy boots rather than wearing them tends to confirm certain opinions about people who own cowboy boots.

It’s my first cruise but I guarantee no one wants to see my pasty-ass white legs in boots and wearing swim trunks poolside. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm probably going to regret asking, but OK, what opinion does it confirm? 

People, other than cowboys, who own cowboy boots are sometimes seen as poseurs.  Anyone going on a cruise who wants to fill their luggage with their bulkiest articles of clothing, rather than wearing them while traveling, need packing advice.People, cowboys or not, who want to wear cowboy boots on a cruise …

Edited by navybankerteacher

I have attended Theme Night parties and have not been dressed for such.  I was not alone.  For those who wish to do so, fine.  (Halloween parties are particularly fun to see some of the costumes before create.)  I can dance to the tune of the "Monster Mash" whether I am in costume or not.  

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

People, other than cowboys, who own cowboy boots are sometimes seen as poseurs.  Anyone going on a cruise who wants to fill their luggage with their bulkiest articles of clothing, rather than wearing them while traveling, need packing advice.People, cowboys or not, who want to wear cowboy boots on a cruise …

Thank you for your insightful advice and making a new cruiser feel welcome to ask perhaps silly questions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think that 99% of people wearing cowboy boots in the last 90 years were not real cowboys.  A stretch to accuse them of being pretenders or putting on airs.   It is just a style & mostly regional but less so now days.    I think perhaps you correctly categorized it later as a silly answer.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have attended Theme Night parties and have not been dressed for such.  I was not alone.  For those who wish to do so, fine.  (Halloween parties are particularly fun to see some of the costumes before create.)  I can dance to the tune of the "Monster Mash" whether I am in costume or not.  

That is probably the only thing I could dance to very well. Haha. 

I think most of the folks in theme costumes are ship's crew or cruise director's staff.  Not that many passengers, I think.   I've enjoyed some of the theme nights, but have never dressed in costume either.  

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 11:42 AM, mjkacmom said:

It’s called the glow party now, just wear something white, I don’t think there is anything else where you’d dress specifically for the event.

"White Night" is now "Glow Night?" How wonderfully progressive and accommodating to the sensitivities of our modern era!  Can I meet the requirements of "Glow Night" if I don't wear white but make sure I have a "glow on" at some point during the festivities? 😀

• Haha 1

We stopped following cruise line suggestions about special nights when we realized how ridiculous it was for us  to to take a break from work and winter,  then pack suits and dresses in a suit bag  to wear on a winter Caribbean cruise on two or three nights..  It was more like going on a business trip tor me.   DW put a stop to it mid cruise years ago and that was the end of it for us.

Same for a Halloween or some sort of other theme night from our perspective.  Not going to happen.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1