Who posts here while on a cruise ?

crusingrightnow

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'll post here if:

1. I have adequate WiFi
  2. I have extra time, and
  3. I have something to say ("I'm currently on the Blahblahblah and you have no idea what you're talking about")

I don't post a lot when I'm cruising, but it does happen.

I'll also look back at some posts that may have info on the cruise I'm on.

On 12/15/2021 at 11:08 AM, sverigecruiser said:

I have never had internet included on a cruise and I don't pay to be online when on vacation. If I had it included I might post if I had something to say about the cruise.

We have internet included.  Now that I'm retired, I typically don't use it.  Mrs Ldubs uses whatever minutes I have and I'm fine with that.  It follows I don't visit the forum while on board.   

19 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never used the internet on a cruise

I did -just once-

and the connection was so dodgy I never bothered again!

It's probably a more stable connection when the ship is docked

but at sea, when she's moving and rockin' and a-rolling  ... Mehhh!

1 minute ago, Aplmac said:

I did -just once-

In my opinion when I am on a cruise I do not want to think about the real life .I want to enjoy the adventure as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never used the internet on a cruise

4 hours ago, Aplmac said:

I did -just once-

I do find that it varies a bit whether at sea vs. docked, but I think the cruise line and ship matter more.  My quickie reviews:

• Princess (Regal, Nov '21) - Swift by cruise ship standards, mostly stable
  • Celebrity (Summit, Sept '21) - Stable but slow (basic plan)
  • Carnival (various ships pre-pandemic) - Horizon & Breeze were good by cruise ship standards, others varied from so-so to awful (value plan)

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In my opinion when I am on a cruise I do not want to think about the real life.

I want to enjoy the adventure as much as possible.

I agree entirely.

That one failed attempt at Internet At Sea

was on our second cruise..as beginners!

We've done 14 cruises now, and know better as we go along!

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

..but I think the cruise line and ship matter more.  My quickie reviews:

• Princess (Regal, Nov '21) - Swift by cruise ship standards, mostly stable
  • Celebrity (Summit, Sept '21) - Stable but slow (basic plan)
  • Carnival (various ships pre-pandemic) - Horizon & Breeze were good by cruise ship standards, others varied from so-so to awful (value plan)

Hmmmm...Interesting list and evaluations. Thank you!

More ppl should analyse internet-at-sea like this:

would be helpful to the cruising communinity.

My one failed attempt was on Ocean Village Two,

a UK cruise ship/line belonging to the Carnival Corporation in Miami, Fla.

Ocean Village is now a dead cruise line, and now OV2 is a dead ship too!

See pics below taken at Alang, India -not long ago!

She's a goner!!

Karnika OV2 end of life -3.jpg

Karnika OV2 end of life.jpg

OV1  dismantled at Alang.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 11:34 AM, lenquixote66 said:

In my opinion when I am on a cruise I do not want to think about the real life .I want to enjoy the adventure as much as possible.

We used to think that way but when we started cruising 70-110 days a year it changed our attitude.  Staying in touch with the real world while cruising was actually easier and more enjoyable then trying to play catch-up when returning home after a few months of travel.  DW and I love to relax in a deck chair during sea days (or if we stay onboard when in a port) and keeping in touch is a distraction from our normal reading.   It can also be very helpful to cruisers who want real time answers to specific questions about our cruise or ship rather than relying on some posters who often answer questions based on information that may be years out of date.

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We used to think that way but when we started cruising 70-110 days a year it changed our attitude.  Staying in touch with the real world while cruising was actually easier and more enjoyable then trying to play catch-up when returning home after a few months of travel.  DW and I love to relax in a deck chair during sea days (or if we stay onboard when in a port) and keeping in touch is a distraction from our normal reading.   It can also be very helpful to cruisers who want real time answers to specific questions about our cruise or ship rather than relying on some posters who often answer questions based on information that may be years out of date.

Hank

The most we ever cruised in one year was 40 days.Perhaps if we cruised as much as you we would think differently.

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The most we ever cruised in one year was 40 days.Perhaps if we cruised as much as you we would think differently.

That is about what we have cruised (48 days) in 2021.  COVID has certainly put a dent into our cruise plans.  It may be several years until we get back to anything close to our preferred norm since the longer more exotic itinerary cruises that we prefer will be the last to resume after this COVID shutdown/slowdown.    We have always been somewhat adventurous travelers so dealing with COVID related issues is just one more challenge.  But many travelers do not like "challenges" and are waiting for something similar to the old normal.  I fear they may be waiting many years and what most of us used to consider normal may be gone forever.

Hank

I do stay in touch via wifi.  My latest trip was a month -- 16 days on the ship, then pre and post travel weirdness.  Bills still need to be paid. My house sitter has questions that need to be answered. Life in general still has to be dealt with.  Interestingly, the wifi aboard ship in Antarctica was the best I've experienced at sea.  

I suppose if I were just doing one week cruises I would feel differently. But those don't interest me unless they are part of a longer trip.

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

That is about what we have cruised (48 days) in 2021.  COVID has certainly put a dent into our cruise plans.  It may be several years until we get back to anything close to our preferred norm since the longer more exotic itinerary cruises that we prefer will be the last to resume after this COVID shutdown/slowdown.    We have always been somewhat adventurous travelers so dealing with COVID related issues is just one more challenge.  But many travelers do not like "challenges" and are waiting for something similar to the old normal.  I fear they may be waiting many years and what most of us used to consider normal may be gone forever.

Hank

I agree that cruising may never be the same.

I enjoy reading the "Live From" threads...you can often ask questions and get quick responses that are of interest especially for your own future cruises.   I will do some on occasion, or do what I call "almost live from", by that I mean I will make posts when obtaining free wifi ashore at ports of call.

I did a sort of "Live From" on my 2019 ATW, more as an easy way to do a 'blog', for my friends and relatives to follow me on, but I did have free wifi as an Oceania ATW perk...