Struggling over family X-mas party with a Jan. 9th cruise. What would you do?

budmeister

I am struggling mightily over attending a large unmasked mostly unvaccinated family xmas party. Hubby and I are vaccinated, boostered, and go no where but work and the grocery store. The 2/3 of the family goes out all the time to crowded places, bars, karokee, parties, no masks, and most are unvaccinated. This new variant infecting even the vaccinated has me worried about coming up positive after the family xmas party. It is a drive, we stay overnight- so it cannot be a quick drop by. Family or risk the cruise? What would you do? 

It sounds like you have almost decided already. We skipped some larger gatherings close to our cruise earlier this month. We were really ready to be back at sea. Glad we made the decision we did. Our cruise was wonderful. 🙂

Have a great trip! 

• Like 6

Are you me?  Lol. 

We are also a minority in my spouses side for being vaxxed. Last year we opted out of all their get-togethers. This year a little harder with the fact that we are vaxxed and boosted. 

However, my answer is that if my spouse or kids wouldn’t be mad I would opt out. I’m so tired of appeasing others who don’t have the same level of concern as me. 

Would it worth missing a cruise for one night of people who think very differently?  For me, it wouldn’t be. 

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, budmeister said:

I am struggling mightily over attending a large unmasked mostly unvaccinated family xmas party. Hubby and I are vaccinated, boostered, and go no where but work and the grocery store. The 2/3 of the family goes out all the time to crowded places, bars, karokee, parties, no masks, and most are unvaccinated. This new variant infecting even the vaccinated has me worried about coming up positive after the family xmas party. It is a drive, we stay overnight- so it cannot be a quick drop by. Family or risk the cruise? What would you do? 

<snort>  What would I do?  1,000% skip the "family party".  If they don't care enough about YOU and their fellow human beings, why would you WANT to risk being with them?

Relax and go on your cruise.  Bon Voyage!

• Like 24

Cruise or no cruise, I still would not attend the family gathering.  Does not mean I want to force my opinions on them, but I care about the safety of my wife and I.  Hopefully, they respect your decision not to attend as you choose not to debate their decision to be anti-mask and anti-vax.

• Like 8

It doesn't matter if the family is vaccinated or not. It doesn't matter if you are vaccinated or not. It has nothing to do with getting sick, being in the hospital, or dying. It has to do with how badly you want to go on the cruise and how badly you want to be with the family. If you test positive you are not going even if you feel completely well. The less people you are around the less likely you will test positive. Now make your decision.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

No way I would go to a party with unvaccinated people, relatives or not. If they can’t be bothered to be vaccinated then I wouldn’t be bothered about skipping the party. You have tried to protect yourselves for this long so why chance it now? Go on the cruise and enjoy yourselves. You are a lot less likely to get covid from people who are all vaccinated except 12 and under. I’m guessing you won’t be around those kids anyway at least not for very long.

• Like 7

Depends I guess when the party is. The isolating period here is 10 days from symptoms or a positive test. But I'm not sure what the risk is of still showing as positive in a test after this time.

Not sure if Omicron has washed up on your shores yet. It arrived here in the UK a week or so ago and is doubling every two days at the moment.  It is extremely easy to catch.  Even people double jabbed are catching it.  Yesterday we had our highest rate of infection ever in the UK.

You have to prioritise what is more important.

Maybe have a smaller get together in January after you get back.

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, budmeister said:

Do not go to the party.  My family  members went to a big party last week and the guest of honor is now positive for covid.  Many people did get vaccinated, but all it takes is one to be a super spreader event.  People will eat and drink and remove their masks- assuming that they even wear them.  If you are planning a cruise- stay home!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

Bottom line is this:

If you pick up Covid from your unvaxxed relatives, your required negative test 2 days before your cruise will show positive.  You will not be allowed to board...you will lose your cruise.  

Only you can make that decision.  

• Like 4

Speaking as a wife who’s husband has terminal cancer I would skip Christmas and go on the cruise with your husband. You will be unhappy at the unmasked, unvaxxed event and be nervous waiting to find out if you will get sick. Enjoy your time with the most important family member which is your husband. You will not regret it. We skipped Thanksgiving this year with our all vaxxed family and went on a cruise. It was the best. 

• Like 3

My entire extended family, aside from one cousin, is fully vaxxed and boosted. We reached out to everyone individually to see about getting together for Christmas dinner as we had in years past...and everyone, on their own, decided to wait one more year. And that's without a cruise planned right after.

I think some of it depends on where you live, how COVID affected your life. For us, it hit pretty close to home, so there's still some trepidation.

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

Family and just living life is more important than a cruise.

Every family is different
. Every family has their own priorities and grasp and their own situation.

My mom died in December 1997, and I had my first-ever 7-night cruise scheduled just weeks before she passed. I told her that I was going to cancel my cruise so that I be at home with her. Her response? “If you cancel your cruise, I will never forgive you”. Mom’s love you no matter what. She knew how much cruises meant to me. 

I skipped Thanksgiving Reunions this year with friends and family because I was self-quarantined to protect me. And them. 

FRIENDS will understand. FAMILY will love you no matter your decision. TRUE family will understand. They might be disappointed, but they’ll UNDERSTAND. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, budmeister said:

So I have the same situation with my family - almost none of them are vaxxed but my husband and I are vaxxed and boostered.  I had them all over for Thanksgiving and will get together with them for Christmas. We had a cruise booked for January, 23 that we rescheduled for next October.  We had planned on quarantining 2 weeks prior to leaving, but decided that is no way to live just to get on a ship.

You mentioned you work and go to the grocery, so I'm not sure why you think that is  less risky than any other activity?

I guess it depends on how much your family means to you.  I avoided all get togethers last year and didn't spend any time with my son and his family.  I'm not doing that again - I can always cruise later, but not being with my grandkids over the holidays is something I can never get back.

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

That’s a no brained for me! I’d gladly tell my family I’d not be joining them for the holidays bc I have a vacation planned and paid for. Catch ya next year.  Personally, I did get vaccinated, against my better judgement, just so I can travel. I can appreciate those who have their reasons for not getting the jab. It’s their decision. 

• Like 1

I can relate to the struggle many are having with family.  My sister-in-law and her fiance are coming here from Missouri (Lake of the Ozarks) to spend both Christmas Eve and Day with us.  They did get vaccinated and got their booster (I don't think they would have - if he didn't feel pressure to do so at work).  However, they are going to visit his friends/family in Wisconsin - in a county where only about 33% are vaccinated - and they'll be hanging out with both family and former classmates of his at parties/gatherings.  Last year - none of us were vaccinated, and we all wore masks (they weren't happy about it) - when they just stopped by for a bit on Christmas.  This time, they'll be with us for hours both days (they're staying in a hotel - and not with us).  Our daughter is a teacher, and is really hoping to not pick up Covid - even if mild - as she'd have to quarantine for 10+ days if she tests positive (which would go beyond Jan. 3rd when school resumes).  That impacts not just her classes (they are having trouble getting subs) but the cheerleaders she coaches. They may not be able to compete in early January, if they don't have enough practice time - and no subs handle extra-curricular sports/activities. 

We don't cruise until March (luckily!), but we're still concerned about them bringing Covid back with them from rural Wisconsin.   We've already decided we are going to isolate ourselves 10-14 days prior to getting our Covid test pre-cruise - to help assure we test negative.