Silver Moon 3 Jan 2022 it's finally here! Feedback.... And any Questions, fire away.

les37b

29 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Thanks for posting Les, those ruins look pretty spectacular, glad you enjoyed the trip. Vicki appears to be asymptotic from what I can gather. Shame about the Trivia, did you get points for turning up?

Yes I did ask and was told the same. Positive but no symptoms.

Ruins were worth the 75 min drive to get there. Always like a challenge. Wasn't too physical to climb, but stairs very uneven. Not as scary as Chicken Pizza... That really was a bum to the floor job each step coming down when I did it 27 years ago!

Nothing for Triv. Did get a creditable 3rd place yesterday. There are a couple of very good teams. It started so well too racing into the lead with 10 out of 10 in round one. We should have called it a day then with the 2 point lead and cries of woooah. They had nothing to fear.

IMG_20220106_140827.thumb.jpg.4141e65995bb7cf871ce18d9efd8e323.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the way Azamara does (did) trivia.  Everybody gets one point for showing up, plus members of the winning team get one additional point.  This way the 'take no prisoners' teams can fight it out, and the rest of us can sit back and watch the mud wrestling while still earning our point.  At the end of the cruise you line up at the Cruise Director's 'yard sale' and use your cumulative points to buy stuff you don't want...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I like the way Azamara does (did) trivia.  Everybody gets one point for showing up, plus members of the winning team get one additional point.  This way the 'take no prisoners' teams can fight it out, and the rest of us can sit back and watch the mud wrestling while still earning our point.  At the end of the cruise you line up at the Cruise Director's 'yard sale' and use your cumulative points to buy stuff you don't want...

I'm not sure the CD will have a yard sale ... She is in quarantine..... We need her back!

We definitely are rattleing around. It's 10pm . . In Dolce Vita. We are the only ones here... Apart from guitarist (who is very good) and 1 bar staff.

I'm still trying to push away jet lag... It's hard with no one around 

La Dame didn't look like anyone had been in. Arts cafe closed as we walked in. (I think they'd given up ... But maybe they close usually then.)

Must be soul destroying for the guitarist! Yay ...2 humans have arrived in the venue.

Low numbers is no good for anyone.

Spoke too soon. Theatre just emptied.... Another 2 seated.

Late start tonight. Ate in Silver Note. No booking needed. Probably 50% full Not my thing, but a good venue and recommended.

Edited by les37b

5 hours ago, les37b said:

I'm not sure the CD will have a yard sale ... She is in quarantine..... We need her back!

We definitely are rattleing around. It's 10pm . . In Dolce Vita. We are the only ones here... Apart from guitarist (who is very good) and 1 bar staff.

I'm still trying to push away jet lag... It's hard with no one around 

La Dame didn't look like anyone had been in. Arts cafe closed as we walked in. (I think they'd given up ... But maybe they close usually then.)

Must be soul destroying for the guitarist! Yay ...2 humans have arrived in the venue.

Low numbers is no good for anyone.

Spoke too soon. Theatre just emptied.... Another 2 seated.

Late start tonight. Ate in Silver Note. No booking needed. Probably 50% full Not my thing, but a good venue and recommended.

I assume the shows are off at the moment. When we were on in December the Arts Cafe was open until 11pm, just time to go to the show and pop in for some late night choccies. If it’s still the same guitarist he was very good, as was the Russian pianist.

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

I assume the shows are off at the moment. When we were on in December the Arts Cafe was open until 11pm, just time to go to the show and pop in for some late night choccies. If it’s still the same guitarist he was very good, as was the Russian pianist.

There was a guitarist last voyage who worked in house keeping that played for them.

He was so good that he was brought up to play in in the lounge. I wonder if that’s the same man?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, les37b said:

Must be soul destroying for the guitarist! Yay ...2 humans have arrived in the venue.   Low numbers is no good for anyone.   Ate in Silver Note. No booking needed. Probably 50% full Not my thing, but a good venue and recommended.

Super appreciate your continued excellent reporting and background for this cruise.  Great sharing, details, pictures, etc.  Keep it coming!!

But in reading about the small numbers in many key locations and the excursion challenges, it does seem to take away from the overall "experience" that we seek, love and desire in doing such cruises.  People make a major, positive difference!! This includes interacting with the great staff, learning from locals in visiting various ports, getting to know fellow passengers, etc., etc.  When the numbers are limited and distances are kept, it can seem a little "empty" and shallow.  It continues to raise the question of whether it is "worth it" to be cruise right now.  Good luck in finishing this cruise.  Stay safe and healthy!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,211 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Super appreciate your continued excellent reporting and background for this cruise.  Great sharing, details, pictures, etc.  Keep it coming!!

But in reading about the small numbers in many key locations and the excursion challenges, it does seem to take away from the overall "experience" that we seek, love and desire in doing such cruises.  People make a major, positive difference!! This includes interacting with the great staff, learning from locals in visiting various ports, getting to know fellow passengers, etc., etc.  When the numbers are limited and distances are kept, it can seem a little "empty" and shallow.  It continues to raise the question of whether it is "worth it" to be cruise right now.  Good luck in finishing this cruise.  Stay safe and healthy!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,211 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

It really does take away from the experience. No question. I certain enjoy company and a good natter. It's not the same, but it beats working. I just feel for Silversea and all the CL. There is seemingly nothing that can be done.

So best to just enjoy and appreciate the experience. Today was Roatan. Hope I dont live to regret the private taxi!

Attempted to lay out in the sun.... Fell asleep and instantly thought better of it. So we picked up and headed to kaiseki.

The salt bar was empty as was Kaiseki bay a single lady guest.

I'm not a fish person, but talked in to trying recommendations... Which I did. Think I did ok. At least my wife found a beer {Asaki) she actually likes.

IMG_20220107_134748.thumb.jpg.b2eb3567c88c0ae2fed9d92eda68743e.jpg

IMG_20220107_134821.thumb.jpg.ffb4d042868be60a627f1daa7830a406.jpg

IMG_20220107_135617.thumb.jpg.23239aab26fbe0870c6ae51e0f971507.jpg

So..... Is the cruise living up to expectiond,m Absolutely yes, even with some of the niggles  and missing staff. I would however say, I think we are sailing into the unknown with respect of Covid and government restrictions. I knew and accepted it was a gamble. So far its paid off...i hope I still think this by the time we get hope

Edited by les37b
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, seaver said:

Les, So do you think people are just staying in there cabins or is it because the ship is only 1/3 full?

Any more cases of Covid?

I was on for the 3rd and 4th leg but canceled the 3rd.

Just think its too few people on a small..... But large ship! I'm aware of a few who retired early. We actually didn't eat until 8.30 straight from our room. Maybe last night was unusual. Certainly people are not locking themselves away. The ship is just eerily empty.

Don't blame you cancelling the third leg. Amazon River to 10 days at sea couldn't be more different.

This is my 9th attempt at replying..... My final post in this thread if this nonsense continues

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, les37b said:

Just think its too few people on a small..... But large ship! I'm aware of a few who retired early. We actually didn't eat until 8.30 straight from our room. Maybe last night was unusual. Certainly people are not locking themselves away. The ship is just eerily empty.

Don't blame you cancelling the third leg. Amazon River to 10 days at sea couldn't be more different.

This is my 9th attempt at replying..... My final post in this thread if this nonsense continues

If the ship is pretty empty ask them for an upgrade to the premium Wifi

• Like 1

Just now, Silver Spectre said:

If the ship is pretty empty ask them for an upgrade to the premium Wifi

The issue is not SS WiFi.  It's not great, but 100% the issue is Cruise Critic. If I'm able to stream YouTube using a VPN, the ship is not the issue. We've been able to video and voice call in WhatsApp....... Just can't post on CC.... A post simply doesn't appear once submit clicked.

I'm not sure the site owners care .... As long as the commission's for bookings roll in. Nothing mods can do, but this bug has been report often enough.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, les37b said:

The issue is not SS WiFi.  It's not great, but 100% the issue is Cruise Critic. If I'm able to stream YouTube using a VPN, the ship is not the issue. We've been able to video and voice call in WhatsApp....... Just can't post on CC.... A post simply doesn't appear once submit clicked.

I'm not sure the site owners care .... As long as the commission's for bookings roll in. Nothing mods can do, but this bug has been report often enough.

Not good Les, sorry about your frustration. Try logging out of CC, disconnecting from SS Wifi, clear cookies and log back in again. I know that is sh*t, but hey Ho sometimes it works.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Not good Les, sorry about your frustration. Try logging out of CC, disconnecting from SS Wifi, clear cookies and log back in again. I know that is sh*t, but hey Ho sometimes it works.

I couldn't even give you a like until I logged out! Yet another bug, which I'm guessing is related.

IMG_20220108_054714.thumb.jpg.43fff312e21fa1061b992ace117a5067.jpg

Les, thanks for the update and sorry it's such a pain to do so. Those of us at home in freezing weather (8F this morning!) really appreciate your efforts!

Sounds even emptier than our sail on Spirit at about 50% capacity. 

The CC posting issue was a real pain. I don't have that issue at home on my laptop but it's definitely a big problem on my phone. I use Chrome on my Android phone to do most of my blogging and frequently get that same error which you showed above.

• Like 1

Sorry re your posting issues, Les.  I have been enjoying your reports.  One thing I do on my iPad is write my long posts in notes then copy and paste to CC.  That way they aren’t lost if the post doesn’t work.

• Like 1

Yes we all appreciate your efforts, thank you for keep trying. On another note was the Specialty restaurant worth the extra cost. I always wonder considering all the choices of dinning that are included should you pay to get a another venue?  RCC just cancelled several of their ships because of COVID outbreaks. 

2 hours ago, Trailcreek said:

Yes we all appreciate your efforts, thank you for keep trying. On another note was the Specialty restaurant worth the extra cost. I always wonder considering all the choices of dinning that are included should you pay to get a another venue?  RCC just cancelled several of their ships because of COVID outbreaks. 

La Dame and Kaiseki are the only up charge restaurants…… no change of that front.

The Japanese can be accessed at Lunch for free, Personally I wont be paying to go in either. We tried Kaiseki which was fine - I have no idea is it would be regarded as fine, but we gave it a go. Have been in La Dame and is worth it - but not a place I’d rush back. Each to their own,

Edited by les37b

On 1/7/2022 at 8:50 AM, zqtchas said:

There was a guitarist last voyage who worked in house keeping that played for them.

He was so good that he was brought up to play in in the lounge. I wonder if that’s the same man?

He was there again last night and taking requests. I cannot remember his name (I will look it up) but do remember is is from Argentina. The requests I gave him (Including stairway to heaven) he played very well.

OK, update on Covid. We were all supposed to be tested today, but that got cancelled. We brought out own tests and been happily testing negative each time.

The captain made a further announcement today. We have 2 guests and 5 Crewe members positive. I wonder if those guests were the ones from a few doors away that I mentioned. He stated they were all doing fine. If they are anything like all the recent cases I know of, they should be testing negative in a week and suffer no real effects other than a mild cold symptoms. That’s my hope anyway.

People generally are observing the wearing of masks, but not everyone.

From my observations in La Terrazza, Silversea have made an error. No self service, but food is handed to guests directly above the food. All cruise Lines Ive been on since this began (this is my 5th) did so be passing to guests over the top of the counter. No reason this can’t be done and those units should (IMHO) have glass in front to distance potential contamination from hands and arms. In Arts cafe just now, I witnessed an elderly man at the counter not wearing a mask and with his arm over the counter to “point” to what he wanted. He was not reminded about his mask but was advised to not reach into the cabinet.

Had my first meal in SALT last night. As mentioned, the choices were not really my first choice, but when in Rome……. The starter was very nice. Kind of like a Cheesy soup with tortilla chips. More appetising than it sounds. Main I had sirloin steak, which was OK, but a bit too much fat for my liking. Desert was a sponge cake soaked in rum with a trail of fruit and source. That was super. Still think I would prefer Indochine, but it was an enjoyable meal for sure. I do like the layout of SALT definitely.

The SALT bar has now had a few visits. The smokey bubble drink was left behind and not available since the Moon reached the US. It really is a lovely small bar and highly recommended.

After all the posting issues, I have now started using my iPad Pro, which will make posting much simpler, but of course, all photos I have access to, are on my Android phone. I will attempt to transfer over. Luckily, after hitting send, I had copied the text, which is just as well as I had lost my WiFi connection. Fortunately it was sorted this time and even though it returned a blank reply, I was able to restore the text. Phew. I’m not sure I would have posted the same volume had I needed to start from scratch.

I will at some point start a compilation of videos for a walk through of the Moon as I’ve done for the other ships. Might make a start on that this afternoon.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Les, thanks for the update and sorry it's such a pain to do so. Those of us at home in freezing weather (8F this morning!) really appreciate your efforts!

Sounds even emptier than our sail on Spirit at about 50% capacity. 

The CC posting issue was a real pain. I don't have that issue at home on my laptop but it's definitely a big problem on my phone. I use Chrome on my Android phone to do most of my blogging and frequently get that same error which you showed above.

Is it just CC that happens? It is for me. The issue of course is switching device and getting logged out and having to log back in to WiFi again. That can be a pain too, but mostly not a problem.

5 hours ago, RachelG said:

Sorry re your posting issues, Les.  I have been enjoying your reports.  One thing I do on my iPad is write my long posts in notes then copy and paste to CC.  That way they aren’t lost if the post doesn’t work.

It certainly is the best way to ensure not losing and I would wholeheartedly suggest anyone making long posts to use that method - or at least copying text before posting. Not sure why, but on my phone, it was not letting me copy the text on the first big moan post, hence my frustration I didn’t have any choice but to send. I think select all wasn’t allowing as it contained a reply quote. IPad is certainly easier (Mostly as its got a keyboard so like using a laptop!)

19 minutes ago, les37b said:

Is it just CC that happens? It is for me. The issue of course is switching device and getting logged out and having to log back in to WiFi again. That can be a pain too, but mostly not a problem.

Yes.

And I have the same issue; half the time after doing "select all" I can't copy the text. Have to cross my fingers, hit "submit" and hope that it's stored in the editor. Absolutely frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Hi Les, does the 5 crew include Vicki, Verena and the other entertainers, or are they additional. If your Captain is still Zenello then we found him to be a breath of fresh air. It’s very good that he is keeping guests up to date.

That was the total.... So 1 additional crew member. At the start, we were also don't we had several entertainment crew in isolation, but that was purely a quarantine exercise 

Yes, it's good that the captain has informed. He did say "for the sake of transparency", which is welcome.

• Like 1