Silver Moon 3 Jan 2022 it's finally here! Feedback.... And any Questions, fire away.

les37b

3 hours ago, seaver said:

Les, We need updates!

Oops! I've neglected my job! lol

OK,  well the Panama transit was amazing and thoroughly enjoyed. The weather (and temperature) was perfect when we started into the locks, but the transit and exit was very hot and uncomfortable when on deck to watch and photograph. 

We exit the locks on schedule and meant to arrive in Panama at 19.40

Instead we bobbed around all night and for a huge amount of time, attached to a large tanker, which could have been refuelling or taking on ships waste. No idea which, but we were attached to it for at least 6 hours.

Next day we dropped anchor and guests allowed ashore by tender.

We had originally booked the tourist centre at the locks but that was cancelled as it was shut. It did actually reopen on our arrival date, but never got the chance to rebook.

We ended just taking a shuttle into town for a very uneventful hour before returning to the ship. I did see an opportunity to fly the drone (legally) and fly over to the Moon from close to the tender drop but decided against it in the end. I suspect I won't get another chance now.

I've also now finally had my searching question answered about PCR testing and entry into Manta, which the moon missed on this voyage a month ago.

I had asked and suggested the reason accessed to Manta was denied was because the 48 hour PCR time slot needed, wasn't achieved. I was told entry was denied because there was Covid on board. I suggested that would mean we miss it again this time and was told no, because it was a guest and not like this time. (We have guests and crew with positive test - and no increase I'm aware of.)

Finally I got the answer. We are leaving Goltifo earlier than planned and arriving in Manta in the afternoon the previous  day when a PCR will be done on board allowing guests to go ashore the next day. That still hasn't been conveyed to guests, but at least it proves what I had been saying since the previous time was correct and the SS had learned from that mistake and rectified for this voyage. I just wished that there was better communication.

So for now, that mystery is solved and pleased it's the case. If it physically not possible, it wouldn't have been s big issue... It was the responses I was given I wasn't impressed with. Anyway.... Job done.

Currently on our way back to the Costa Rica on the Pacific side.

Chronicles_11 Jan_Fuerte Amador.pdfChronicles_12 Jan_At Sea.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, les37b said:

Oops! I've neglected my job! lol

OK,  well the Panama transit was amazing and thoroughly enjoyed. The weather (and temperature) was perfect when we started into the locks, but the transit and exit was very hot and uncomfortable when on deck to watch and photograph. 

We exit the locks on schedule and meant to arrive in Panama at 19.40

Instead we bobbed around all night and for a huge amount of time, attached to a large tanker, which could have been refuelling or taking on ships waste. No idea which, but we were attached to it for at least 6 hours.

Next day we dropped anchor and guests allowed ashore by tender.

We had originally booked the tourist centre at the locks but that was cancelled as it was shut. It did actually reopen on our arrival date, but never got the chance to rebook.

We ended just taking a shuttle into town for a very uneventful hour before returning to the ship. I did see an opportunity to fly the drone (legally) and fly over to the Moon from close to the tender drop but decided against it in the end. I suspect I won't get another chance now.

I've also now finally had my searching question answered about PCR testing and entry into Manta, which the moon missed on this voyage a month ago.

I had asked and suggested the reason accessed to Manta was denied was because the 48 hour PCR time slot needed, wasn't achieved. I was told entry was denied because there was Covid on board. I suggested that would mean we miss it again this time and was told no, because it was a guest and not like this time. (We have guests and crew with positive test - and no increase I'm aware of.)

Finally I got the answer. We are leaving Goltifo earlier than planned and arriving in Manta in the afternoon the previous  day when a PCR will be done on board allowing guests to go ashore the next day. That still hasn't been conveyed to guests, but at least it proves what I had been saying since the previous time was correct and the SS had learned from that mistake and rectified for this voyage. I just wished that there was better communication.

So for now, that mystery is solved and pleased it's the case. If it physically not possible, it wouldn't have been s big issue... It was the responses I was given I wasn't impressed with. Anyway.... Job done.

Currently on our way back to the Costa Rica on the Pacific side.

Chronicles_11 Jan_Fuerte Amador.pdf 542.13 kB · 6 downloads Chronicles_12 Jan_At Sea.pdf 434.15 kB · 6 downloads

Thanks so much for the update! Keeping coming.

• Thanks 1

I've found your trip report to be very even handed, extremely helpful.  We are seriously considering the SS Lima => Buenos Aries cruise in 2024 (was 2023) on the Nova.  My recollection is you are doing the Grand South America cruise, if that's incorrect I apologize. Any feedback on excursions or photos from the ship (the cruise of interest includes cruising fjords & glaciers) would be greatly appreciated.  One concern we have is the large number of sea days so it would be important that these cruising day are interesting.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/south-america-cruise/lima-callao-to-buenos-aires-sn240116020.html

Sincerely hope you enjoy yourself.

10 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Enjoy your Venetian evening Les, free laundry coming up?

Our 42 day cancellation / rebooking got us there at the start... And it's a godsend!

Tonight is indeed Venetian night.

8 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I've found your trip report to be very even handed, extremely helpful.  We are seriously considering the SS Lima => Buenos Aries cruise in 2024 (was 2023) on the Nova.  My recollection is you are doing the Grand South America cruise, if that's incorrect I apologize. Any feedback on excursions or photos from the ship (the cruise of interest includes cruising fjords & glaciers) would be greatly appreciated.  One concern we have is the large number of sea days so it would be important that these cruising day are interesting.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/south-america-cruise/lima-callao-to-buenos-aires-sn240116020.html

Sincerely hope you enjoy yourself.

We are only on the first leg, so probably not much help. I will indeed post more ship photos to finish off once home and also post a YouTube ship walkthrough.

Having a great time. 😀

• Like 1

VS night had a high score of 1750 days, with a further 2 (may have been 3) over 1000 and another on 850.

A few other milestone of 350 and 250, with 6 Centennials (including yours truly)

(Certificate on bed when we arrived back in room.)

I wasn't planning on making a further booking (and using the extra 5%), but have taken an option for Jan 2024, which I'm nigh certain will take.

Difficult times for cruise lines and Silversea, despite that, we've continued to receive a great cruise and service.

Tonights offering in Atlantide.

IMG_20220112_204626.thumb.jpg.ee442d5cabc00f447620eaffe54d89a4.jpg

IMG_20220112_205751.thumb.jpg.3fb3cfca1934148b48a937b83f3492b9.jpg

IMG_20220112_213150.thumb.jpg.741eaa32aff638f10eccdecf0b2690ef.jpg

IMG_20220112_213201.thumb.jpg.63121d4b5685983358dbede184d5f221.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, les37b said:

VS night had a high score of 1750 days, with a further 2 (may have been 3) over 1000 and another on 850.

A few other milestone of 350 and 250, with 6 Centennials (including yours truly)

(Certificate on bed when we arrived back in room.)

I wasn't planning on making a further booking (and using the extra 5%), but have taken an option for Jan 2024, which I'm nigh certain will take.

Difficult times for cruise lines and Silversea, despite that, we've continued to receive a great cruise and service.

IMG_20220112_204626.thumb.jpg.ee442d5cabc00f447620eaffe54d89a4.jpg

IMG_20220112_205751.thumb.jpg.3fb3cfca1934148b48a937b83f3492b9.jpg

IMG_20220112_213150.thumb.jpg.741eaa32aff638f10eccdecf0b2690ef.jpg

IMG_20220112_213201.thumb.jpg.63121d4b5685983358dbede184d5f221.jpg

Thanks Les...Hows the new cabin?

19 hours ago, les37b said:

I appreciate you posting the photos of what you are served.  Would it be possible for you to provide a name for each of the dishes above the photo?  For example, what is the entree in your second photo with the rice?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate you posting the photos of what you are served.  Would it be possible for you to provide a name for each of the dishes above the photo?  For example, what is the entree in your second photo with the rice?  

Glad you asked this question.😃......I was wondering the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Top one was Escallops with strawberry.  Second was Thai Green Curry.cant remember the third..... And forth was obviously cheese and biscuits.  (That was a portion for one that my wife had!)

Well today was a non eventful or very eventful day depending on your viewpoint.

Butler did his usual temp take... I took a shower and wife came in declaring "we have a problem". We brought with us antigen tests and had tested every 2 days. Anyway as you can probably work out, she tested positive. I tested and was fine. She did another and was + again.

So we called reception and declared this problem. They antigen tested us both again with the same and the PCR tested us. That last one was not nice. Same results.

She had to pack her bags and taken to the red zone. (Quarantine just 20 doors or so down from our room). Because I had close contact I now have to self isolate for 48 hours. If ok, I can get back into circulation, but I'm kidding myself that will be the case.

Both feeling fine. Her temp is normal, but yesterday evening mine went up to 37.6 .... It's back down to 36.9 now..... Which is a pretty convincing analysis I would test positive now.

Since this has happened a few things we have found out. I spoke with the HD yesterday who rang to see how I was doing (I'm in isolation at the mo, not quarantine).  He informed me there had been no further infects since the day 3 announcement  (5 crew plus 2 guests.) They get released today.... So wife will be only infected guest on board... And I will be second. (I'm kidding myself thinking I will be negative at a test today).

We've been very careful and suspect only guests on here who have been testing. I suspect when the PCR test is done in Manta on the 17th,  I suspect that will change. I truly hope I'm wrong. I don't know why SS cancelled the antigen test we were all due on day 6 (I think),but it does make me wonder.

So Vicki will be back as CD today or tomorrow, but we will miss her!

Going forward, with all current guests (except us) out of isolation, our unknown is if Ecuador will all us to disembark. SS are still waiting an answer on that. Of course, the 1 (or 2) positives may well be many more in a couple of days on the Ecuador PCR test, so they may well not be accommodating. Then it because interesting. Peru already won't allow ships, Chile are as strict as hell, may well ban us..... And then Argentina who the HD told me  he heard a rumour that Argentina had reclosed it's borders but hadn't been confirm. Brazil already has for Cruises..... So Bridgetown first stop in a month or so. I jest... But that could well happen..... Hence my suspicion the cruise could well be cancelled and return to FLL if PCR day was not a good day.

All speculation  and thoughts buzzing in my head of course, so don't read anything in to it.

In isolation, I'm pretty much still on the ships radar and can order what I want like any guest. I did order a large meal in the afternoon (nothing to eat for breakfast or lunch).... And with nothing of interest in the fridge (which was rarely opened) I order a party pack of Ginato gin, fever tree lemonade and some pironi.  It's not been opened yet... But will be! lol 

Anyway, once we called in our test ( which was done straight away), all the tests mentioned were done and my wife was asked a series of location and people questions. Lucky (for other guests apart from me) she had no one to report and get into the same isolation I'm in. The officer for infections I spoke with was very good and impressed we had Benn testing  every other day and that we had done the right thing  by calling in and not leaving the room.

In red zone things are different. You can only order food for delivery at 8am 12 midday and 7pm .... There is no any time dining there. Food is served in polystyrene and delivered and dropped outside the door. Them's the  rules! I'd still rather be here than isolating at home. I've no fear of the virus itself after 3 vaccines and we are both feeling fine. The unknown is the only scary part. For me, I'm genuinely not concerned. Work isn't a major hang up.... Even if the decided I would be on unpaid leave. My wife is a different proposition and will hugely affect her business.... Plus my ability to do bookkeeping, tax returns and wages. Perhaps Bridgetown wasn't a good idea! lol

I was eventually moved into another suite (after complaining the sanitising of my contaminated room hadn't happened... And I was being potentially put at risk if not already infected ... So on suite 3 on the moon now. I'm hoping to escape my 3rd on deck 6.... But think that's a pipe dream.

I'm still pretty up beat about things despite the holiday effectively ended, albeit with an unplanned extension we could do without.

So that's about it.

Not the read anyone would have been expecting, but it is what it is. If we caught on the ship, then it's rife is all I can think.... But suspect it's from one of the shuttle or tour buses. The prime candidate in my head was Roatan Island 6 days ago when we took a local taxi..,  but that seems a bit too far back and SS were only interested in tracing steps for last 2 days. 

No point in thinking into it. It's happened and can't be changed. Sad but true.

Cheers (sorry it's upside down)

IMG-20220113-WA0063.thumb.jpeg.e279205285a24ec48fa814eb7c4b5812.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

So sorry to hear that Les, keeping fingers crossed that you won’t test +ve, glad you are both feeling ok. Thanks for continuing to post.

Cheers .. health and internet aside,  there is little reason not to post. Not like there is much to do.

I'm fairly pragmatic about it. If I think something is amis I will say. I was annoyed I was left alone in the infected room... After being told speed is of the essence.... The reality is it probably made little difference.  Of course my views of this experience will be shared and hoping it will be a positive one (apart from the test today!)

I'm wide awake at 5am and have been for 3 hours, which indicates it's all playing on my mind. However I genuinely feel fine in my thoughts, so just  mind games.

To date, I'm ok with how things are proceeding and just hoping the PCRs for everyone don't go sour and everyone scheduled (including us) can disembark as planned in Guiyaquil. I did say being stranded there was my concern before the cruise started in one of the other threads. Maybe I've a crystal ball!

On that note the heavens have just opened.

Chronicles_13 Jan_Puntarenas (1) (1).pdf

• Like 3

So sorry to read this! I hope you both continue to feel fine. Thank you both for being so responsible. I'm sure it wasn't easy, but you probably saved others from the same fate.  It will be very interesting to see what happens on the testing day before arrival in Ecuador.

Stay well and enjoy your room service!

• Like 2

Oh Les, I'm so sorry ... and so impressed with your responsible and pragmatic attitude .. I hope what the immediate future holds for you is tolerable.

Rather selfishly (sorry) this makes me feel less sad about the fact that I should have been embarking on the Spirit today but am instead sitting at home in very wet and windy conditions.

Please keep us updated! Anything interesting to film from your verandah?

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

Hi Les, I am echoing everyone else's good wishes........so sorry to read what is happening to you and your bride.  It sounds like at least you are feeling  ok...... sending you all my best regards and hoping things improve for both of you.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the well wishes. I still feel fine, albeit slight elevated temperature. I self tested myself again an hour ago and still negative.

Have had zero contact with anyone this morning... I didn't order food, so no issue.

My wife OTOH (still 100% fine and normal temp of 36.1) is less than impressed

We get they want minimal contact with the red zone and are setting times they will deliver things. But when you are told things are not available that you know are, that "we care" starts fading. She requested some diet coke for the fridge. 1 can just arrived. Maybe they think it's like the pool bar where when thirsty someone brings another.

Breakfast has to be ordered the day before for delivery between 7 and 8. At 8.50 she rang to ask where her breakfast was (baring in mind yesterday she had no breakfast, lunch or dinner ordered and had to plead to get the undercooked burger which arrived at 3.30)

When the polystyrene food arrived at 9, bits were missing, some bits substituted with the wrong things and basically something looking like Prison food arrived. We get the polystyrene bit.... But whist she is prisoner.... That doesn't make this acceptable.

The ticket attached was made up at 07.06 ..... It arrived at 9. I appreciate it's the nurse who brings ... But don't state "these times only" then bring less than requested and late! Prisoners riot for less! Ryan air would be embarrassed with this.

IMG-20220114-WA0030.thumb.jpg.e30004e2769378dd6986bc4107385492.jpg

The nurse took her temperate. She is 35.9

Meanwhile. No one has taken my temperate or tested.... Which is alarming since prior to today, if we hadn't had it taken by 9, we got a knock on the door.

I did ask how Vicki was doing on Venetian night and told "she was doing fine .. unlimited food and alcohol....," In fact Vicki herself made a similar comment at Triv regarding even in quarantine it's 6 star.

Well I can tell you it isn't..... Not sure if and when I test positive, I will be too happy about any of this and is turning into a nightmare.

If this is redressed, I will state it has, but from the attitude I've seen displayed personally from the nurse, I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe time to order some food for my room. It might not be a while before anything decent arrives.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geekgirl23 said:

So sorry to read this! I hope you both continue to feel fine. Thank you both for being so responsible. I'm sure it wasn't easy, but you probably saved others from the same fate.  It will be very interesting to see what happens on the testing day before arrival in Ecuador.

Stay well and enjoy your room service!

I think more than anything else, this is what is now making me angry. We could have just carried on going to restaurants, bars, mixing with people and going ashore. But we acted as we did and sacrificed our holiday (dramatic sounding I know, but it's not far from reality!)

So what is going down now sends a signal... "Don't own up, cos bad cold airline food is what you've now got coming".

I truly hope this was just a bad day and it will improve. I will post honestly how things are. I get there will and must be changed, but this really isn't a good match.

The PCR test on the 17th is likely to be revealing.... I hope we have just been unlucky on a trip, but the lack of testing convinces me otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Needless to say we are all saddened to learn of your travails. My hopes were high for our boarding the Moon in Guayaquil and excited about our cruise after reading all your wonderful post. Now, I have so many trepidations. You did everything right and still got covid. Makes me think no one is safe. I am finding that SS is great when things go well but falls short when things go astray. We tried to have them book a transfer from the airport to ship to be safe upon landing, they wanted $90.00 pp ridiculous, especially since they had to change ports and we have been doing cartwheels to try and accommodate all the changes. SS very unresponsive. I call them and get the run around, they know nothing,  according to them everything is great. Anxious to hear what is going to happen when you reach Guayaquil, if you will be allowed to disembark or will have to be quarantined. I am sure the UK will not allow you to fly back until you test negative. 
I feel your pain trying to deal with all the uncertainties.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trailcreek said:

Needless to say we are all saddened to learn of your travails. My hopes were high for our boarding the Moon in Guayaquil and excited about our cruise after reading all your wonderful post. Now, I have so many trepidations. You did everything right and still got covid. Makes me think no one is safe. I am finding that SS is great when things go well but falls short when things go astray. We tried to have them book a transfer from the airport to ship to be safe upon landing, they wanted $90.00 pp ridiculous, especially since they had to change ports and we have been doing cartwheels to try and accommodate all the changes. SS very unresponsive. I call them and get the run around, they know nothing,  according to them everything is great. Anxious to hear what is going to happen when you reach Guayaquil, if you will be allowed to disembark or will have to be quarantined. I am sure the UK will not allow you to fly back until you test negative. 
I feel your pain trying to deal with all the uncertainties.

Please email and I will be more candid. silversea@mail.co.uk

I still think life on the ship is great. It's the red zone that needs looking at. It may just be an odd day.... Or there are more there than they are telling and over worked. I do believe the numbers are as stated, so it's a staff thing IMHO.

It's all things shoreside that has let this cruise down.... From the hotel mess up from disgusting balcony and neglecting bags ... Then over charges.... That "have been removed" but clearly still a problem as I've seen my CC. Obviously not SS control... But they chose the hotel and employed the (agency) staff who unfortunately we're at best, poor.

All excursions off the ship I've had thoughts they've been less than impressive for cleanliness and sanitation. GS assured me "they are chosen and up to SS standard".... Well I can categorically say the shuttles and tours I did were not. That said, thinking back, I think we ran into trouble using a local taxi and driver with air con one, keep lowering his mask. We frequently handwashed. That was 6 days before my wife tested positive, so really could have been.

The ship however is truly wonderful and the staff as always a credit to the company.

Do you know what hotel you are staying in? If it's the SS one, you will no doubt see, 1 or hopefully not.. 2 or many more arriving in hazmat gear lol

Genuinely had this not happened (and it is pot luck,), we would have just been saying what a great cruise we've had.

So advice is simply social distance, wear mask inside and hand sanitise regularly. You'll love the ship.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

I think more than anything else, this is what is now making me angry. We could have just carried on going to restaurants, bars, mixing with people and going ashore. But we acted as we did and sacrificed our holiday (dramatic sounding I know, but it's not far from reality!)

So what is going down now sends a signal... "Don't own up, cos bad cold airline food is what you've now got coming".

I truly hope this was just a bad day and it will improve. I will post honestly how things are. I get there will and must be changed, but this really isn't a good match.

The PCR test on the 17th is likely to be revealing.... I hope we have just been unlucky on a trip, but the lack of testing convinces me otherwise.

Les

I am so sorry to hear of all your and your wife's less than pleasant experiences after all the trials and tribulations that you had to go through before even starting this cruise

The Silversea experience is certainly not all that it is claimed to be from the company and now I am learning that they are messing about with supposed benefits one earns after many days sailing with them

I do hope that they up their standards for the rest of the cruise even if it's in quarantine and that they give you some sort of recompense for being so honest with them

Edited by beaujolais
edit
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear this Les, as mentioned you both appear to be in good health which is the most important thing.  I'm sure the uncertainly is troubling.

Organizations define themselves in adversity and this isn't reflecting well on SS.  The styrofoam seems very unnecessary.   The chef on Regent called one person in quarantine and asked what he could make for him for dinner. 

Hopefully the Peroni & Gin in the picture is your daily ration.

Safe & healthy travels & trip home.

• Thanks 1

As other have expressed already, very sorry to hear how SS is handling the quarantine.  I can fully understand the need to limit exposure to those in quarantine rooms, but there’s no reason they can’t still prepare a nice meal that includes anything from the room service menu.  I’ve had nicer looking breakfasts from the Holiday Inn Express.  Please let us know if things improve.

At first I was of the personal opinion that I wouldn’t mind being quarantined, I’m a solo traveler anyways, but after seeing that breakfast tray; I change my mind.

• Thanks 1