Silver Moon 3 Jan 2022 it's finally here! Feedback.... And any Questions, fire away.

les37b

Lots of updates, again the good and indifferent, much of which is country politics unfortunately and limitations that SS can do.

I had started this reply and CC has been up to its tricks again, buy lots happened since and a few corkers.

Firstly, those asking about Argentina, it has been pulled according to the HD and future cruise rep. An email is supposed to have been sent. So effectively the only ports on the east coast will be in Uruguay.

OK bomb number 1. Thanks RCL for making the decision to save money mid cruise and to hide COVID statistics. That decision to not test is probably the reason our cruise is wrecked. The news from ecuador re quarantine and the PCR test everyone has to do, has people clambering to leave the ship today in large numbers. Costa Rica take anyone without a test.... But once positive you cannot get in.

I suspect there will be lots of people positive once they PCR in Manta which I think will highlight what a cheap crap decision that was for Silversea guests about to be crucified in ecuador. Thanks a bundle.

Bombshell number 2. I have been isolating in my room for 62 hours so far... Waiting for my third and final test.

The nurse shows up to take my temp and when I said I thought you were here for my PCR, she said that's tomorrow! (I wasn't happy at the prospect of yet another day)

I chase up and eventually get told I could have left my room as soon as my negative result came through, which I was told at 18.30 and should have been 14.00..... making that late casual notification even more annoying.

Bombshell number 3. The food distribution and standards are using RCL protocol for quarantine guests. Whoever writes them needs to be sacked.

If the nurses time and schedules are precious, don't have them run around getting them, then getting hazmat gear on. Get it delivered when ready to entrance and nurse take in from that point. Does the nurse need to protect from the waiter staff? I don't get it. If someone can work out why the food has to be collected by the nurse at source ... Go get changed... Then deliver door by door the cold food? I see zero logic.

Update on guest 4 in quarantine. It's another British lady, who like us did antigen tests every other day and luck us, did the right thing and reported. Funnily, like me also, the husband is also negative. 

We have applied for a mobility pass to escape in Chile. We are not going to risk the Ecuador quarantine regime. The other couple are trying to do the same, so Kudos to SS for allowing that. Fingers crossed my PCR today and yet another in Manta by Ecuador tomorrow will stay negative. I genuinely think it's unlikely though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, seaver said:

Thanks for the update. How's your wife?

Health wise, no change. She has zero symptoms. The other lady has a slight runny nose.

After speaking with the HD I managed to get my wife moved onto the port side in the next suite to the other lady, so they are both feeling more human than before. Something we are all really grateful for.

Vicki is being released today after finally testing negative. She is meant to be getting off in Ecuador and frightening the PCR from the Ecuadorians may scupper those plans. Fingers crossed she makes it though will be missed..... Like she was since day 3!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, les37b said:

Health wise, no change. She has zero symptoms. The other lady has a slight runny nose.

After speaking with the HD I managed to get my wife moved onto the port side in the next suite to the other lady, so they are both feeling more human than before. Something we are all really grateful for.

Vicki is being released today after finally testing negative. She is meant to be getting off in Ecuador and frightening the PCR from the Ecuadorians may scupper those plans. Fingers crossed she makes it though will be missed..... Like she was since day 3!

Glad to hear your wife has some company now, that makes so much more sense.

• Thanks 1

Les, sorry to hear about you and your wife’s quarantine. You read my story, so I truly sympathize. When we got home on the 11th my wife tested positive the next day. Thankfully both of us had very very mild symptoms. Like yourself, I had much time to think and reflect. Sorry about the food situation. Yes, the food and drink situation was better in Seabourn quarantine. However, that’s what WE paid for . I do wish you both a speedy recovery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fdnycruiser said:

Les, sorry to hear about you and your wife’s quarantine. You read my story, so I truly sympathize. When we got home on the 11th my wife tested positive the next day. Thankfully both of us had very very mild symptoms. Like yourself, I had much time to think and reflect. Sorry about the food situation. Yes, the food and drink situation was better in Seabourn quarantine. However, that’s what WE paid for . I do wish you both a speedy recovery. 

FDNY, I am glad you made it home safely and wish your wife a benign course of infection.

I am loyal to no one luxury line so I have been following all the Covid handling posts to see if there is any one that handles things best, i.e., safely but without hysteria and illogical behavior, much less customer gaslighting. 

Sadly, though the  details of pax semi-torture may vary, it looks like SS, SB, Regent, Crystal, Hapag Lloyd, and Ponant, plus the upper premium Viking and Celebrity,  all have various incidents and forms of illogical and unnecessary guest mistreatments going on, as they struggle to keep their employees salaried ( both the highly paid and low level) , while also complying with capricious and rapidly changing port requirements. 

Until certain US  “ authority”figures get their reasoning and messaging in order, balancing  risks and benefits, and share it world- wide, we will have more international and cruiseline caprice, more quarantined guests eating cold fries or sleeping on airport floors or in hostels,  and more canceled cruises.

For me the last straw was outdoor surgical masking mandates on strenuous hikes in foreign ports with humid weather, regardless of distancing, and then having an armed museum guard suspiciously watch us (basically respiratory disease vectors with money their country wants )  as we washed  our hands   *before * using a rest room. Meanwhile  he and other mostly unboosted locals wore breathable cloth masks they frequently fiddled with, and have faces within inches of each other when they talk.  
The theatre of hazmat suits in one area of a ship, while others play trivia shoulder to shoulder  (maskless and untested for ten days), would be comical if not for the consequences.

• Like 8

Indeed. Funny you mention Trivia. My team of 2 players probably were given an antigen test but maybe not. I was a contact of a contact to them. However the other ladies team all had to self isolate for 24 hours and released only after a PCR negative. However, 24 hours is pushing things to show. They are all free to walk the ship (as I was eventually).

Playing Trivia gets your details recorded and might not be so wise!

Well I just had a 3 day PCR and once again negative.i still have a slightly raised temperature and still feel a bit clammy. I'd just put that down to the heat (we are just a few miles north of the equator), but since I've been told now by 3 or 4 doctor friends that being exposed for that amount of time it's incredibly unlikely I've escaped and can take 5 days to show.

I am however getting a glimmer of hope!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Glad to hear your wife has some company now, that makes so much more sense.

It makes a world of difference. I can feel less guilty about my hot pizza and cold beer when they are having a balcony party.

IMG-20220115-WA0049.thumb.jpg.3fd321e9f39382aefa0e540af005d6a0.jpg

Edited by les37b
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Les, I'm very glad you continue to defy the odds and are coming up negative! And the balcony party must be a real breath of fresh air for Mrs. Les.

Keep your spirits up (or keep imbibing them) and I hope the rest of quarantine/isolation passes quickly for you both.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Les, I'm very glad you continue to defy the odds and are coming up negative! And the balcony party must be a real breath of fresh air for Mrs. Les.

Keep your spirits up (or keep imbibing them) and I hope the rest of quarantine/isolation passes quickly for you both.

Hehe..... Well I had to test positive today to get through 10 days before Valparaiso. I almost wet myself with excitement at the news, though that may have just been the thought of making more room for alcohol!

There have been a few instances on board this scenario has played out positively, so as you say, not mathematically certain I won't be one of those few I'd be more optimistic if I didn't have a slight temperature...... But hopefully a rare case of Omicron defeated by vaccine and strong immune system. As a baby, my only childhood decease was smallpox ..... And I sent that killer packing! (Though I admit to getting chicken pox from my eldest 15 years ago and that was most unpleasant.,)

so do I now understand that you tested positive.  So sorry!  But not unexpected.

In the days prior to vaccine, my husband's best friend had covid.  We and his wife had spent the entire evening before his diagnosis in close contact playing cards.  She slept in the same bed as him.  None of us got sick, though we didn't test so who knows what would have popped up if we had. 

1 hour ago, les37b said:

It makes a world of difference. I can feel less guilty about my hot pizza and cold beer when they are having a balcony party.

IMG-20220115-WA0049.thumb.jpg.3fd321e9f39382aefa0e540af005d6a0.jpg

I‘m a bit confused (not unusual) - if your wife is in isolation/quarantine how come she is able to share a toast with a neighbour while on the balcony? That would present a risk of cross infection wouldn’t it?

Wishing you a speedy recovery/release

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I‘m a bit confused (not unusual) - if your wife is in isolation/quarantine how come she is able to share a toast with a neighbour while on the balcony? That would present a risk of cross infection wouldn’t it?

Come on man.  What were you thinking it was?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

They both have the disease, so can’t infect each other

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

so do I now understand that you tested positive.  So sorry!  But not unexpected.

In the days prior to vaccine, my husband's best friend had covid.  We and his wife had spent the entire evening before his diagnosis in close contact playing cards.  She slept in the same bed as him.  None of us got sick, though we didn't test so who knows what would have popped up if we had. 

No still negative.

To be able to get off in Chile and do the 10 days, was to be positive today. Sorry for the conclusion. Obviously I don't want any isolation! Testing positive in Manta tomorrow would be devastating.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, seaver said:

Les  Good luck today!

Thank you.. . I really need it. If I don't, I'm stuck until Montevideo. I just want to get home now. The cruise ended a few days ago.

Vicki has done what she promised and the ladies got some hot food finally. Much appreciated.

You could tell from people I've seen, it's dawned on people, this test is quite probably the most important they will ever take because of the implications. No one would want 14 days in quarantine in Ecuador!...... But there is at least plenty of room on the ship.

The 36 grand voyagers are down to 35 and the total number of new guests joining is just 34... That's correct - 69 guests going forward...I suspect leg 3 will be 35 or less 

It's frustrating. When the pandemic first started, there was a mystery disease killing people. Now it's no more than a mild cold or have no idea you even have anything wrong. Something has to give because this is madness.

I asked the doctor the question .... If my wife tests negative today, can she disembark and fly home. No was the answer. 10 days or she can complete her quarantine of 14 days in Guiyaquil.i can no longer look at what's going on without shaking my head.

Got to give some more praise to the ship's crew.... Everywhere I go, they all seem to know who I am and ask how my wife is which is humbling.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Les we are following along with you and sending as much positivity as we can muster.

I would take issue with one thing you said and that is that omicron is like a mild cold. For the majority of people that is the case, but there are plenty of outliers who have flooded the hospitals and ICU’s with Omicron, even if vaxed and boosted.

For that reason we try as best we know to isolate and quarantine. Its seems there is no agreement as to how much and how long, and there is a lack of consensus among countries and governments and science and epidemiologists and leaders.

Thanks for the support (though positivity might have been a bad choice of word... haha - but  knew what you meant and appreciate it)

I completely accept that for some with underlying conditions it can still be life threatening, so appreciate I wasn't trying to undermine. My wifes parents (who I was really concerned for) and a very sickly close friend caught it and I'm amazed they survived, but all three just said it was just like a really mild cold, so something certainly has changed. Anyway, I apologise if you took acception. It wasn't intended.

56 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

We are rooting for you Les, glad to hear the ladies finally have hot food. Long may your shipboard freedom last!

Yes it has continued and I'm glad to report that the improvements have now included the polystyrene has also vanished. Creature comforts are more important than ever when isolated. I'm relieved and thankful the feedback to Vicki was taken on board and improvement instant.

Well decks 11, 10 and 9 are completed and 8 must be near completed. Not long to go for 6.

In the meantime, anyone on the ship this morning watching the drone buzz past..... It wasn't me!

Fish anyone?

IMG_20220117_130252.thumb.jpg.ddbdd1120ba2524cd1936693069eabf8.jpg

In the meantime.... Just got a photo from my wife...... Hope yet!!!! She tested yesterday and the POS line was really feint. Now it's gone cometely with a further test. I think she still has to stay in isolation regardless for a full 10 days which makes this even .ore annoying.

IMG-20220117-WA0045.thumb.jpg.448f55ae977d53bcf0a7c5248b94d2d0.jpg

Edited by les37b
  • Like 2

Unfortunately being well isn’t enough anymore, testing negative is more important. 

On a cruise ship, at least. 

Fingers and toes crossed for you and the missus, Les. Somewhere in the distant future you’ll have tales to regale others with. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Les of course i don't mean positive positivity, OMG. I meant negative positivity or negative but not negativity. 

Just BE WELL!

Lol....of course I knew that.... I was just teasing and playing on positive is the new negative!

13 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Unfortunately being well isn’t enough anymore, testing negative is more important. 

On a cruise ship, at least. 

Fingers and toes crossed for you and the missus, Les. Somewhere in the distant future you’ll have tales to regale others with. 

She has been 100% fine all the way through so appreciate the test is all that matters - and their test only! The fact the personal test she did earlier came back negative makes us more positive. Just hope I just Dont go and spoil it!

Edited by les37b
  • Like 4