Silver Moon 3 Jan 2022 it's finally here! Feedback.... And any Questions, fire away.

les37b

4 hours ago, les37b said:

It's the Marriott Harbour. I've been here with SS before and thought it ok. I've changed my mind!

We were told when the bags were brought in, and again when checking in, our bags would be taken to our room. We went out. Came back 4 hours later, no bags. Went down, they were sitting at the front door unattended. Anyone could have walked off with them. They said they would put a credit on our account to compensate. When I went to reception after breakfast, they hadn't. But instead we had a $251 bill for using a jet ski yesterday! Got it removed, but how bad is that it could happen. Our balcony is splattered with some sort of bloody looking mess so not usable. Not a hotel I would return to!

This is not the type of experience that I have had at Marriott Harbor Beach!  And, I have stayed there several times.  When you return from your trip, please consider contacting Marriott International about your experience with letters sent to the CEO and to the Chairman of the Board (which is Mr. Marriott).  I have learned that Harbor Beach is Mr. Marriott's favorite hotel.  I don't think the Chairman and the CEO will be pleased with your report.  

• Like 1

Met some lovely guests today...  But sailing on the Spirit. The fact their departure time has changed, there are Spirit cleansing issues at work. I hope they get on as planned. They had adjacent times to ours... My time as mention was 2.45.... that's been put back for everyone on the spirit to meet in the lobby at 4.45. The SS staff on the ground are doing their best, but I witnessed things I today I wasn't too impressed with. As mentioned, Spirit passengers were boarded by the staff, even though the 4.45 delay hadn't been cascaded. I knew, cos I'm no nosey bugger and heard this when we picked up our luggage ribbons 

Anyway.... Our coach left at 3.12... and we started the boarding process at 3.25. It's a bit like a conveyor belt and stage one was slower than it should have been. SS had 2 desks open to receive. My recent Viking cruise, which had less passenger had 12.

We eventually got through all the stages and happily boarded at 4.50

It's easy to be critical. There were certainly things that could be improved on. I wasn't impressed the handle to my hand luggage bag got broken.I'Ill live... But it was annoying to see the driver with the handle in his hands and 2 shafts sticking up. Anyway minor incident.

So now the good bits..... We on finally on Silver Moon. Got the most important part out of the way.. Pina Colada brought by the butler 

Video for muster is 11 mins long, in your suite, acknowledge and accept a drill time.ours is about to begin.

Vicki is the CD ..

Tried uploading a photo of Dolce Vita ... SS WiFi failed... In Port Everglades!

More laters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm reading on the Silversea Passengers FB group that quite a few passengers who had been quarantined on the Spirit and on another SS ship are stranded at a hotel in Miami.  They were dropped off there by bus, only to find that there were no rooms for them to continue their quarantine.  This sounds like a nightmare for these people.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Glad to hear you have made it onboard Les. Looking forward to your view of the ship when things have settled down.

Everything so far is great.... But while it sounds great to learn we sail with just 220 on board, we all know that's not good at all.

We've just landed in La Terrazza. There are no more than 20 people inside.... Probably the same outside. We are here and sailing tonight, but these are numbers that just aren't viable.

In the meantime... pappadelle is on the menu. Happy days!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I'm reading on the Silversea Passengers FB group that quite a few passengers who had been quarantined on the Spirit and on another SS ship are stranded at a hotel in Miami.  They were dropped off there by bus, only to find that there were no rooms for them to continue their quarantine.  This sounds like a nightmare for these people.  

Agree. That's awful. I've certainly not heard anything, though I did hear a figure of 30 and 18 crew.

Silver Spirit left a short while ago. Hopefully fully loaded. We are leaving late as we are awaiting supplies.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SLSD said:

That's not good please continue to follow up with any new information.

Thanks for posting your cruise, safe & healthy travels.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

That's not good please continue to follow up with any new information.

Check out the Spirit Covid Status thread. Last couple of pages give all the details.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Check out the Spirit Covid Status thread. Last couple of pages give all the details.

Thanks.  There is a lot of comments there.  So it looks like SS botched it up initially but people were eventually taken care of.  Is that correct?

These type events shouldn't be a surprise.  I would think ALL the cruise lines would have concrete procedures in place for these events and they don't seem to.  I'm left with the impression that they are almost making it up as they go along.  Better at serving champagne than crisis management.

Sorry to get the thread on this tangent.

• Like 1

We are onboard too. Had issues with the SS ground staff at the airport - an elderly lady was sent to meet us - could not help with luggage, could not give the limo driver the right location, etc. - and at the hotel. Incredibly, the boarding/testing process was much smoother in Greece in June!

However, once on board its been lovely. Great drinks at SALT bar and a great dinner last night in SALT kitchen. The spa is having issues: the personal training sessions I reserved were  canceled until the 18th as the trainer is in quarantine and no manicures until the 18th for the sane reason.  I'm going to have to be creative to burn off all of the fabulous food!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sea bright said:

Had issues with the SS ground staff at the airport - an elderly lady was sent to meet us - could not help with luggage, could not give the limo driver the right location, etc.

There have been recent concerns expressed by experienced Holland America Line guests about the ground staff at Fort Lauderdale.  

Isn't it likely that the experienced people have chosen to not return to their previous part-time jobs and that the hired newbies have still much to learn?  

• Like 1

More than a little surprised that so many are "surprised" by lack of sufficient or sufficiently experienced staff to handle passengers at the moment.   Dont people realise we are in the middle of a pandemic.  SS like all other lines will have been hit with Covid and quarantining and like everyone else in the area will be frantically trying to find enough of the right type of experienced people to manage the various situations that are arising.   You cant magic experienced customer service managers out of the air just because there is a crisis.   The crisis is not just within SS but other cruise lines as well in the same ports with the same issues.   It is holiday time and hotels are full and are now impacted by being asked to accommodate guests who have tested positive for Covid.  Many hotels will probably decline such business and some will have to because they are undertaffed due to Covid.   Patience and goodwill are what is required and less carping and complaining during this perfect storm, if you dont like it then please please dont travel, if you do you know the risks you are running and if the worst should happen then you will have to suck it up.

• Like 5

On 1/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, les37b said:

Everything so far is great.... But while it sounds great to learn we sail with just 220 on board, we all know that's not good at all.   We've just landed in La Terrazza. There are no more than 20 people inside.... Probably the same outside. We are here and sailing tonight, but these are numbers that just aren't viable.   In the meantime... pappadelle is on the menu. Happy days!

Appreciate ALL of these great updates, details and follow-ups from Les and others.  YES, agree that with only 220 passengers on-board, it is hard to make the financial numbers work for Silversea and the Royal Caribbean parent.  

The good news?  Royal Caribbean is borrowing a billion dollars this week.  That helps lower their interest rate and provide more longer-term financial flexibility.  BUT, with the continued Covid uncertainties and lower passenger numbers, Les is correct about the "viability" questions facing cruise lines.  Let's hope you continue to enjoy the cruise and ship experience.  Keep us posted!!  Looking forward to learning more, especially all insights and inside details.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 243,246 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

Four crew with +Covid tests announced, including CD and asst CD.

Indeed .... That does explain why Vicki wasn't doing Triv today! I did wonder when the announcement started (and addressed inside suites) if this was where it was heading.

The crew all had their boosters 2 days ago!

I witnessed a suite 4 doors down from ours being decanted. Our butler was doing it. I asked if it was what I thought it was. He said they were just moving to another suite.

I suspect that was on deck 6. Just speculation. I've never seen clothes moved on plastic crates before so I'd be surprised if not the case 

Cozumel today.

Our snorkelling trip was cancelled today. We got all the way out and geared up but the boats captain said it was too rough and storms heading out way. I could have told him that before we left 

On a side note, I did express my concern about snorkelling but inform "it will be up to SS safety standards". The boat was dirty and zero sign of cleaning. The snorkel was from a plastic packet, so presumably fine. But we had to blow into the life jacket to inflate. I'd already done so without thinking. To late. It got canceled. The jackets were then just hung up for the next victims 

Just not on that and as we now learn of crew infections, are lessons being learned or safety being thought through?

In the meantime.... The grand cruise only has 36 participants which is huge disappointment, but not entirely surprising.

On happier notes, Atlantide was good last night, and La Terrazza beckons again tonight after cancelling Silver Note (as entertainment appears to be in quarantine either as newly onboard or positives!).... Oh and the pizza really is the best at sea. Don't think I've eaten better.IMG_20220104_205549.thumb.jpg.9175eff87e81717b2210baf647fa9ec6.jpg

IMG_20220105_130538.thumb.jpg.6326b058abee4aa45c2c853b717c3e4b.jpg

IMG_20220105_153458.thumb.jpg.9f345dadbda8df91169dff8c8d6d18dd.jpg

IMG_20220105_130108.thumb.jpg.61e5985b8a6d955fbf15c99b1420db87.jpg

Belize City tomorrow.... No snorkelling advised!

And if any proof of how contagious Omicron is, France, who banned the UK because of it, has recorded 332000 new infections in one day. .... A European record.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just curious if they've specifically announced anything about crew and/or other positive cases? We disembarked from the Moon in FLL on Monday and were surprised to learn after the fact that there were positive cases on board. There was never any mention, at least not that I heard. I assume we would have been notified if we were deemed to be a close contact, but it still left me with some questions. 

I wish Vicki, Verena, and the others the best. 

18 minutes ago, geekgirl23 said:

Just curious if they've specifically announced anything about crew and/or other positive cases? We disembarked from the Moon in FLL on Monday and were surprised to learn after the fact that there were positive cases on board. There was never any mention, at least not that I heard. I assume we would have been notified if we were deemed to be a close contact, but it still left me with some questions. 

I wish Vicki, Verena, and the others the best. 

Only 4 crew members, but as mentioned, I'm as certain as I can be there are guests too. Obviously it would be impossible to hide the absence of the CD and ACD. Guests are a different proposition. I suspect we are not to be panicked, but in reality, I imagine being honest is the better policy.

I will ask my butler exactly where he decanted a suite a few doors away from us. I suspect it was deck 6. I could be wrong and will ask again. I witnessed a fair few in full protective gear. You don't usually clean rooms like that!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

And if any proof of how contagious Omicron is, France, who banned the UK because of it, has recorded 332000 new infections in one day. .... A European record.

Shocked that being inherently superior to all other nations didn't protect them from the [wait for it] oMacron variant 🤣

• Haha 7

Les, from your comments, is it me or is the end product - excursion wise - going down hill?
Some of our excursions on the Spirit last September used a lot of ‘journalistic licence’ to describe them but the end product was lacking. Also a couple of the guides were poor at best. 

8 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Les, from your comments, is it me or is the end product - excursion wise - going down hill?
Some of our excursions on the Spirit last September used a lot of ‘journalistic licence’ to describe them but the end product was lacking. Also a couple of the guides were poor at best. 

I can't say that. My comment on that trip was completely down to Covid concerns, which I have to say was replicated again with the tender into Belize City, though not as dirty, but no social distancing.

There is no point logging Triv contestant room numbers for proximity, when you are then packed onto coaches and boats / tenders.

I can't say I had any confidence in the cleanliness of the coach or tender today (they don't use the SS tender in Belize), and my thoughts completely based around "prove you caught it on our boat or coach"... So no one needs to bother. Giving you a spray on one hand when boarding a coach, is not my idea of sanitation.

There is no control on the product..... That was all I was saying.

The Trip today to Altun Ha ruins was fine. The snorkelling in Cozumel, would have been fine too (even though it was cancelled for weather/sea issues.)

That said, I have nothing booked for Roatan and have cancelled Puerto Limon through confidence in the product for health concerns. Pre Covid, it really wouldn't have been an issue.

Meanwhile, my Triv ambitions have died a death. First day only 4 players to start.... One has dropped out and today only me. Such is life.

I did ask our Triv stand in tonight for Vicki and told no Covid amongst guests she was aware of, so maybe what I saw was a simple room change afterall.

I've not gone to SALT yet. I like mexican food, but there isn't a meal I could pick I'd be happy with. Its not for me. Just pleased the Peru choice (where we are no longer visiting), isn't guinea pig!

Had another pizza today....very unimpressed with the service. The guy serving was so heavily perspiring, even his shorts were wringing wet (and I mean could could have been wrung and dripping.)..... But worse, no gloves and continually playing with his mask..... And serving food. I almost walked away. With hindsight, I wished I had. That's the first time on any SS cruise I've seen anything as poor. I think I felt more at risk from him, than blowing into the inflatable life vest on the cancelled snorkelling.

The pizza however was once again great...

Breakfast in the suite was wonderful.

IMG_20220106_135513.thumb.jpg.d5e7306a5de9bb9ff93db6a8b4d4e34e.jpg

IMG_20220106_113801.thumb.jpg.f22e003771727893d2deb2e482b66354.jpg

IMG_20220106_090950.thumb.jpg.37c0a36ac495284f0920c3f04d8b79e7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2