Youngsters ordered to Quarantine

HogTide

Our family of 13 is scheduled on board the Crown in June for another trip to Alaska. In December 2020 I never considered the possibility that we would still be under this virus threat 18 months later.  My concern is the possibility that a grandchild might require isolation (DGDs age 19, 18, 17 and DGS age 14). It is inconceivable to me that a ship’s captain would require a youngster to be confined without a guardian/chaperon with them.  Has anyone experienced a situation where an uninfected companion/parent was allowed to accompany their companion/family member into isolation?  Or does anyone have an e-mail contact on the Princess staff that would address the issue?

Not exactly your scenario but I have read that uninfected spouses are given the option to quarantine/isolate with their infected spouse. (I also read that most felt it was better to have one family member on the "outside" who could communicate in person (rather than by phone) with ship personnel.

Since covid is not discriminating, I don't believe the captain would be, either.  From the scenarios on other lines (Celebrity, HAL) the person occupying the cabin with the positive guest is considered a close contact and if negative, might have the option to isolate with the positive guest.  I presume that the teen in question would not be solo in a cabin.  EM

I would imagine that if one of the youth did test positive then an older adult would be permitted to room with them in the quarantine cabin. Right now everyone has to be fully vaccinated and tested before they board. I would say that you should arrange for the test at home before you arrive at the port. It would be a more difficult situation if one tested positive at the port, was not permitted to board and was quarantined in a local hotel.

Remember the 19 and 18 year olds are legal adults.

11 minutes ago, skynight said:

I would imagine that if one of the youth did test positive then an older adult would be permitted to room with them in the quarantine cabin. Right now everyone has to be fully vaccinated and tested before they board. I would say that you should arrange for the test at home before you arrive at the port. It would be a more difficult situation if one tested positive at the port, was not permitted to board and was quarantined in a local hotel.

Remember the 19 and 18 year olds are legal adults.

but they can't book a cabin with Princess on their own - so why would they be allowed to quarantine on their own in a cabin ?

My opinion is that Princess would allow an older adult to share a quarantine cabin. I would be more concerned about being tested within the time frame before you leave home.

The rule against those under 21 booking on their own has to do with possible behavior of youth groups on board rather than if they are legal adults.

In this covid era there are risks and rules change rapidly.

1 hour ago, HogTide said:

Our family of 13 is scheduled on board the Crown in June for another trip to Alaska. In December 2020 I never considered the possibility that we would still be under this virus threat 18 months later.  My concern is the possibility that a grandchild might require isolation (DGDs age 19, 18, 17 and DGS age 14). It is inconceivable to me that a ship’s captain would require a youngster to be confined without a guardian/chaperon with them.  Has anyone experienced a situation where an uninfected companion/parent was allowed to accompany their companion/family member into isolation?  Or does anyone have an e-mail contact on the Princess staff that would address the issue?

IMHO: the only one of those kids who'd need someone w/them is the 14 y.o. The others would likely be insulted if you told them they need a "chaperone" in isolation.

• Like 3

I have  read several accounts of  someone who tested negative being given the opton to join their spouse in the quarantine cabin  (basically self-quarantining themselves). I cannot see why that would be a problem for someone to join the teen in quarantine. What is less clear is if  FCC would be given to the individual choosing to self-quarantine while testing negative, as it would be given  to the individual testing positive. My guess is no, unless perhaps there is a requirement for an adult to be in the room if under 18. 

I'm almost certain a minor cannot be in a room alone and an adult would have to be there. There's too much interaction with ship personnel with meals, testing, etc. to leave a minor alone. In addition, there may be discussions with medical staff to which an adult must consent to any decisions.

• Like 3

I didn't take the time to read all of the comments, but I have first hand knowledge that when one person is infected and the other is not, they do allow both to be quarantined together.  You are moved to a quarantine room though.  You do not get to stay in your original room.  A child most definitely could never be quarantined alone.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I didn't take the time to read all of the comments, but I have first hand knowledge that when one person is infected and the other is not, they do allow both to be quarantined together.  You are moved to a quarantine room though.  You do not get to stay in your original room.  A child most definitely could never be quarantined alone.

This is correct ... the negative contact will be able to quarantine with the minor / or the one needing a caregiver in a quarantine room.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, voljeep said:

but they can't book a cabin with Princess on their own - so why would they be allowed to quarantine on their own in a cabin ?

They can't book a cabin on their own, however, a family/group can book multiple cabins and legally put 2 minors in a cabin if at least one of them is 16 years of age and their booking is linked to one with someone over 21. So, whereas I can't see them allowing the 14 year old to quarantine by themselves, they may allow the 19 and 18 year old.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:21 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

IMHO: the only one of those kids who'd need someone w/them is the 14 y.o. The others would likely be insulted if you told them they need a "chaperone" in isolation.

the only reasonable approach would be to require that close contact adult (over 25) to join them. 

Edited by Ombud

16 hours ago, mjmalino said:

They can't book a cabin on their own, however, a family/group can book multiple cabins and legally put 2 minors in a cabin if at least one of them is 16 years of age and their booking is linked to one with someone over 21. So, whereas I can't see them allowing the 14 year old to quarantine by themselves, they may allow the 19 and 18 year old.

We did that sort of but with younger kids.  We did a cruise with our granddaughters aged 10 and 13.  We booked 2 cabins - one cabin for me and one granddaughter and a 2nd cabin for my wife and the 2nd granddaughter.  After we boarded we put the 2 kids in their own cabin and wife and I had the other cabins.  We had no problems with that although we did not actually tell the cruise line what we were doing.  I should add that the 2 cabins were next to each other.

DON

26 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

We did that sort of but with younger kids.  We did a cruise with our granddaughters aged 10 and 13.  We booked 2 cabins - one cabin for me and one granddaughter and a 2nd cabin for my wife and the 2nd granddaughter.  After we boarded we put the 2 kids in their own cabin and wife and I had the other cabins.  We had no problems with that although we did not actually tell the cruise line what we were doing.  I should add that the 2 cabins were next to each other.

DON

This happens ALL THE TIME.  But one adult would need to move in with a minor in the scenario.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This happens ALL THE TIME.  But one adult would need to move in with a minor in the scenario.

Not true if I interpret your response correctly.  We booked cabin 1 with me and child A aged 10.  We booked cabin 2 with my wife and child B aged 13.  When we got on the ship, we switched and cruised with my wife and I in cabin 1 and children A and B in cabin 2.  Nobody seemed to mind.

DON

53 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Not true if I interpret your response correctly.  We booked cabin 1 with me and child A aged 10.  We booked cabin 2 with my wife and child B aged 13.  When we got on the ship, we switched and cruised with my wife and I in cabin 1 and children A and B in cabin 2.  Nobody seemed to mind.

DON

I did mean what you did - 1 cabin booked with Parent A/Child A and one with Parent B/Child B and then switch after boarding.  No, they don't mind.  Separately, I do think a parent would need to move in with a minor child who was being isolated.  Not much choice there I figure.

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

We did it with our kids as well, however, once the older was 16 we were allowed to book the kids into their own cabin, it just needed to be within a few of ours and the reservation had to be linked to ours.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:44 AM, HogTide said:

I don't think this is something to even worry about one bit at this time. COVID is changing weekly, and this is months from now. There are a dozen variables here, and procedures and policies will undoubtedly be different in June, so nobody can even guess. The cruise lines have been under intense (even unfair) scrutiny for the last 18 months, so you can rest assured that the oversight will make sure that any possible quarantine will be done with guests and families in mind. Check again before final payment, or if you're not worried about final payment and FCCs then check in May. Enjoy your time with your family!!!

On 2/10/2022 at 7:44 AM, HogTide said:

Parent(s) prohibited from being with their children? Minors in the room alone? Lots of liability in store for Princess if it attempted to do that. No, minors could not be required to be in a room alone without parental supervision. Lawyers would have a field day....