Packing Cubes or Vacuum Bags ?

We use two types.

One, the clear plastic "boxes" that sets of sheets come in.  I use one for all my undies, one for jerseys and other foldable tops.

Alternately, very big ziploc bags for those items.  Insert clothing, zip most of the way, sit on to force out the rest of the air, seal.  We also take these along if we are boarding in down jackets but sailing to warmer climates.  When no longer needed, we can greatly compress the jackets and toss them under the bed.

I would never use the kind that requires a vacuum cleaner to seal.

I put a bunch of toiletries in largish bags of this type, too, but don't try to compress so much.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

My wife found some bags that have a one way valve in them that allows you to force all of the air out of the bag. I'll have to ask her where she found them so I can provide a link.

I got mine at Dollar Tree, although I haven't seen them recently.

I should add that the "box-shaped" bags that I mentioned above are just soft, crushable plastic, not rigid.

• Like 1

I don't think that these are the exact bags that we used but the concept is the same. Fill the bag, seal it and roll the air out (DW also put all of her weight on them). We needed to take some clothes out of our check bags in order to keep them under the weight allowance and the bags allowed us to put 2x the clothes in our carryon that would normally fit.

Amazon.com: The Chestnut 8 Space Saver Bags - No Vacuum or Pump Needed - Roll-Up Compression Bags for Travel - Packing Bags - Travel Must Haves - Compression Bag - Packing for Suitcases : Home & Kitchen

1 minute ago, KKB said:

I'm a big fan of packing cubes; I use lots of ziploc bags as well.

Don't vaccuum bags wrinkle clothes?

They probably do. We didn't use them going to the cruise but coming back we had a bit more weight thanks to souvenirs so we used them to make space. If we were to use them going to the cruise we'd likely use them for clothes where wrinkles don't really matter (jeans, t-shirts, underthings).

I don't use packings bags or vacuum bags. I have a system for packing and the one time I tried using packing cubes I actually got less in my suitcase, not more. Also I would never leave my clothes in the packing bags on a cruise -- I unpack fully. 

• Like 3

Take less stuff

I have compression bags I use when returning in case I have been shopping & need space  

I find if you fill your suitcase with these bags the weight can increase so maybe an extra charge  for overweight bags if you like to take your full closet 😉

There are ways to pack clothes without all the bags  I use zip lock baggies for some toiletries (just incase)

YMMV

Neither and have never used either.  Don't see any advantage.  Clothes folded in a suitcase works just fine for us.  We unpack completely as soon as the luggage arrives and repack our used clothing each day in the empty suitcases so that on the last day we are 95% packed.  That system works best for us.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

This topic reminds me of when we sailed out of Los Angeles and word got out that there were a fair number of bags that  where getting dumped in the drink and a fair number that got left out in the rain. I believe there were some issues with the dock workers. I convinced my wife to pack everything in large Zip lock bags, luckily everything got to our room fine. And in the end we have great bags to marinate large chunks of meat in.

• Haha 1

We have used all types of bags.  Like the small packing cubes for small items like socks and undies.  Just put the cube in the drawer the top unzipped.  Also used XXL zip bags for longer trips.  Put one day's outfit.  Pants and shirt, keeps piles on shelves neat.  DH just grabs a bag and does not have to plow thru the pile to determine what to wear.

I'm a cube person.  And, I don't unpack the cubes unless it's something that needs to be hung up.   Those I usually have in a folder, anyway.  Works on month-long business trips to weekslong camping trips for me.  

I had someone at the condos the other week ask if I had a vacuum that they could use to suck the air out of their bags.  Alas, the housekeepers take them back to the home office everyday.

Completely unnecessary (to me). Shirts/pants are hung up in the closet. Other stuff goes in the drawer. The cubes sound organizational, but they aren't. You wouldn't be taking advantage of the closet space. The drawers are also limited in space, and do not conform to the size of the cube. 

The way to not junk up your room is to not pack too much junk

Edited by Joebucks

We use packing cubes for most cruises. The cubes go right into drawers, taking up no more space than the items inside. We use vacuum bags only for (very) cold weather cruises, to the Arctic or Antarctic regions. Using the vacuum bags conserves space for sweaters, down coats, etc. Note that they conserve space, but not weight.

The real answer to your question is that various cruisers prefer different packing methods. There is no right or wrong or even "best." Your "best" is what you prefer and what works for you.

• Like 1

We have used both. We have to fly into ports because we don't live near on any mainland so the vacuum bags help with space. Just remember to keep an eye on weight as seeing you have more space for things might make you want to pack more stuff. I like the packing cubes for keeping my clothes organized. On the ship I just kept my clothes in cubes and placed them in the drawer. The vacuum bags became mostly handy at the end of the trip when most of my clothes are dirty and I don't need to keep them organized and I need to fit everything back in the suitcases. The type of vacuum bags we used were the ones your rolled to squeeze out the air so no actual vacuum required. There are lots of options online and not expensive, I say give each a try.

I don't use the cubes when going on a cruise or anywhere else where I will be able to completely unpack for the duration of the trip.  That said, I love my packing cubes for trips where I will not have the luxury of so much space, or where we are moving from room to room (think road trip).  In that instance I use the cubes as mini drawers and it really helps prevent my bag from becoming a big disorganized black hole of clutter.

I love the idea of carrying compression bags for the trip home, though.  I always have trouble fitting all my stuff back in my bag, probably because I bought one too many sweathshirts or t-shirts.  

On 3/9/2022 at 12:43 PM, Joebucks said:

Completely unnecessary (to me). Shirts/pants are hung up in the closet. Other stuff goes in the drawer. The cubes sound organizational, but they aren't. You wouldn't be taking advantage of the closet space. The drawers are also limited in space, and do not conform to the size of the cube. 

The way to not junk up your room is to not pack too much junk

I'm in the same camp.  I hit the weight limit before I use up all the available space in the luggage.  Don't see what a cube would do for me.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm in the same camp.  I hit the weight limit before I use up all the available space in the luggage.  Don't see what a cube would do for me.  

Like what constitutes dressing for dinner, different strokes for different folks.   I love the organization my cubes provide.  My cubes are not formed and they are a lightweight ripstop nylon.  If I'm staying somewhere for a week or longer, I just pop the filled cubes in the dresser.  No muss, no fuss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Like what constitutes dressing for dinner, different strokes for different folks.   I love the organization my cubes provide.  My cubes are not formed and they are a lightweight ripstop nylon.  If I'm staying somewhere for a week or longer, I just pop the filled cubes in the dresser.  No muss, no fuss.

Not sure what it has to do with dressing for dinner.  I don't use cubes but even in my organized chaos I remember to put clothes on for dinner! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Why can't I pop my clothes in the dresser the same way, without a cube?

I used to used the vacuum bags but I like the ones you use the vacuum and returning the ship vacuum doesn't have a hose. After seeing my cousin use the cubes I ordered the ones below and I love these. They come in different colors as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMN59Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Why can't I pop my clothes in the dresser the same way, without a cube?

Different strokes.  I just take out the cube - no having to take the clothes out.

I have had 2 evacuation events (not on cruises) where I learned not to unpack unless I really needed to - it made grabbing my bag and getting out MUCH faster.  (1 tsunami and 1 fire alarm).  Yes, I know - don't take your stuff, but since it was packed, it was good to go.