Totally Upset Right Now

My grandkids went together and bought my DH and me gift certificates, for $150 total, for us for last Christmas. I called Royal today, to get them applied as OBC for our Harmony cruise, on April 17th.  Called twice, 2 different agents told me, I couldn't use them. Seems they have to be used at least 2 weeks prior to paying the cruise in full. We paid off cruise in Feb. It is printed right on certificates, that they Must Be redeemed at least 10 days prior to the cruise vacation.  They cannot be redeemed once on board. OK. Today is the 3rd of April, cruise is 17th.  In the fine print on the back  it does say something about the 2 weeks before paying off cruise. Who reads all that fine print? I was going by what was clearly stated on front of certificate. The Royal agent said, they really mean those certificates to be used toward paying for cruise.  What a crock. I am totally upset.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Their gift cards stink. Follow the instructions on this page to redeem it: https://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/royal-caribbean-gift-card-program/

Email a copy of the gift certificate to: http://SharedservicesGiftCertificateRedemption@rccl.com

The customer service representatives really have no clue about things, and just make stuff up. Just go to #2 in Redemption instructions. It will work out, but it shouldn't cause this much anxiety. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, GranysT said:

My grandkids went together and bought my DH and me gift certificates, for $150 total, for us for last Christmas. I called Royal today, to get them applied as OBC for our Harmony cruise, on April 17th.  Called twice, 2 different agents told me, I couldn't use them. Seems they have to be used at least 2 weeks prior to paying the cruise in full. We paid off cruise in Feb. It is printed right on certificates, that they Must Be redeemed at least 10 days prior to the cruise vacation.  They cannot be redeemed once on board. OK. Today is the 3rd of April, cruise is 17th.  In the fine print on the back  it does say something about the 2 weeks before paying off cruise. Who reads all that fine print? I was going by what was clearly stated on front of certificate. The Royal agent said, they really mean those certificates to be used toward paying for cruise.  What a crock. I am totally upset.

Sure so even though you state it clearly says the terms for redemption, no matter the size of the print, it just has to be someone else’s fault.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, GranysT said:

If you got them last Christmas why did you wait so long?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Call Royal Caribbean again.

And again.

Until you get someone that will allow you to use your gift certificates.

Don't give up.

Please don't. Wait times are already hellish, and we don't need the lines clogged by people arguing that they couldn't be bothered to read the fine print or do research.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, rennyn said:

Please don't. Wait times are already hellish, and we don't need the lines clogged by people arguing that they couldn't be bothered to read the fine print or do research.

Ok...please don't call.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I never heard of that rule unless it means that if you use them towards paying off the cruise you need to do it  weeks prior.  That said like the others said use the link above and redeem them online for OBC.  You should not have any problems doing that  Good luck

• Like 2

Like the dp340 code. I expected to get there in dec and use it toward more expensive march cruises. Then I read it cant be applied to pid off cruises so if I get there after dec pts applied cant use for march cruises.

Rcl is just full of these rules. I added 19 days on grandeur, op maybe you can add another cruise. Idk. These terms that something has to be used before final payment are elsewhere. Nice grandkids. 

• Like 1

Lesson learned.  It's well known around here that Royal gift certificates can only be used for the cruise fare but from time to time we see exactly this sort of post when someone learns this lesson the hard way.  

It's the primary reason many people do not recommend RCI gift certificates.  

Now you know.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's well known around here that Royal gift certificates can only be used for the cruise fare

This is simply not true. We have received RCL gift certificates from our children on numerous occasions and have purchased them for ourselves on almost as many, and we have always used them for OBC without any issues.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Although gift cert and cards are popular, they are really not as good as cash, and a nice card telling the people to use it on the ship.  

The certs and cards benefit the company, but is a pain for the recipient.

Gift Certificates (issued by RCL directly) and Gift Cards (typically issued by third party companies)  are two completely different things. My understanding is that gift cards can only be used on cruise fares, while gift certificates can be used for either cruise fares or OBC.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Although gift cert and cards are popular, they are really not as good as cash, and a nice card telling the people to use it on the ship.  

That reminds me of a quote from Dilbert: "why would I spend cash on something that's used like cash but is far more restricted?"

But as long as envelopes of cash are seen as "tacky", there will be a market for gift cards.

56 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

This, they benefit the seller only.  Unless they are adding value, ie pay $200 get $250 in credit, I would never consider buying one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, strickerj said:

That reminds me of a quote from Dilbert: "why would I spend cash on something that's used like cash but is far more restricted?"

But as long as envelopes of cash are seen as "tacky", there will be a market for gift cards.

Envelopes of cash are the best gifts. 

• Like 3