The Daily for Tuesday 04/12/2022

richwmn

What is the saying again when you fall of the horse  ?  “  You get up , brush yourself off and get back on the horse “ 

Well that is what we are doing this week and keeping our fingers crossed that we can do this after we felt we were victims while on our wonderful cruise a few weeks ago had to be placed in isolation , went to the Covid hotel for 8 days , flew home both tested negative but DW had the good fortune to get a random PCR test in the airport when we arrived back in Canada and was found positive even when home tested she was negative because Covid molecules were in her system which she in turn received from me I guess ,  from 10 days prior . Try to argue with student nurses of what you have to do when you get home …….and be very , very careful and nervous all week …….

So in a few days we are going to do exactly that ,  “ We were kicked of the cruise , got much better in the Covid hotel , battled the  Medical Health system and in 5 days are going back to the same ship ! 

Really looking forward to this one and we will treat ourselves very well plus celebrate a couple of birthdays while crossing the Ocean . Whats better than That ! 

Take care everybody , will post again once we are back from who knows where …………..

Tony 😍
  • Like 32

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you to Rich, Roy, and all who post.  I'm praying for those who need care, especially Tana and Jose.  After our visit with the cousins in SF, I've decided we must do as Jacqui has been doing and get legal matters sorted while we are still compos mentis!  Our wills were made many years ago, and although we have a "Deed of Committee" (I guess that's a Canadian thing?) the person who we had designated to look after things is now more decrepit than we are.  

It has been snowing this morning, and evidently we are due for more  Gerry, I hope you are spared the brunt of the storm that is on its way from Oregon!  

I love any pasta puttanesca!  And white wine for me, please.  Pat will have the red - - although we are not drinking this week as it is Holy Week.  Still not going to church, though, we are waiting to see how things progress with this 6th surge (or is it 7th..).   I think I posted the couple of pics I took while the Westerdam tried to tender at Fanning Island.  (And I am an only child, and I worked in the music library of my children's high school.)

I'm hoping we will be able to get our fourth shot in May, as we have a booking for a European cruise in July, and need to be up to date with vaccinations.  I was reading that dreadful thread about the Princess isolation experience, and I'm afraid that ships are going to become petri dishes again!  Just hope HAL can figure out ways to keep passengers safe - which seems to me to continue to mandate masks.

• Like 21

25 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@Sharon in AZ, I hope you are able to make arrangements so you can see your beloved Venice.  Sounds like you have a good attitude about the change.

Thank you Maxine!  Good thing is that we are staying 4 days afterward in Venice, we will miss the overnight stay in Venice--of course--but that's okay.  We have a lovely room booked at our favorite hotel that has a outdoor patio so I'm excited about that.  We have plans to visit our old stomping grounds from previous stays.  Hopefully some of our favorite restaurants are still open.

I hope your arms feel better soon!  We are waiting to have our booster until next month so it's closer to our trip. 

• Like 22

Good morning and thanks all!  I became an only child, preferred having a Brother.  Somehow there is a song about taking a walk on the wild side…

@dfish that puttanesca looks great

@StLouisCruisers thanks again for the photos, Sandi. 
@smitty34877 I will hope and pray things get better! 
@ger_77 glad you were able to book shots, had friends who couldn’t here as it has to be more than five months. Hope you have little side effects! 

A little disheartening this morning to find our Fall Japan cruise has been cancelled by Celebrity.    Not surprising, but disappointing.   As we are still trying to cancel flights for this spring on BA,  on hold yesterday twice for an hour and then they disconnect, arghhh! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday. I had a busy day yesterday with DM. It’s been extremely windy here, a front is coming in, but still very warm. Probably hot for some. It’s the kind of spring weather that is perfect in the morning but hot enough in the afternoon for air conditioning. 

Some on our roll call are upset over an itinerary change and I’m sure you’ve read about too. The change of Trieste instead of Venice. I’ve tried to steer clear of commenting except for once and tried to keep it positive. It’s just really frustrating when someone says negative things when they don’t know or understand the big picture. Anyway, we got official notification from HAL late last night of the change. I did get a hold of Flight Ease the day but they couldn’t help me while the change was in process. So, I’ll be calling them today. 

A random cartoon that I thought my Daily friends would like. 

2A6F618A-F19B-4D17-B16E-783381E607A8.jpeg.0563d43772c4be30024e3b968e9fea33.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Hope it all works out,  love your attitude.   Venice is our favourite big city, and you will likely fly into there as Trieste is smaller anyway.   We visited there on a day trip.   Enjoy!  

• Like 17

41 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  I became an only child, preferred having a Brother.  Somehow there is a song about taking a walk on the wild side…

@dfish that puttanesca looks great

@StLouisCruisers thanks again for the photos, Sandi. 
@smitty34877 I will hope and pray things get better! 
@ger_77 glad you were able to book shots, had friends who couldn’t here as it has to be more than five months. Hope you have little side effects! 

A little disheartening this morning to find our Fall Japan cruise has been cancelled by Celebrity.    Not surprising, but disappointing.   As we are still trying to cancel flights for this spring on BA,  on hold yesterday twice for an hour and then they disconnect, arghhh! 

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that about Japan.  I wonder when they will open up for tourism again.  We have spring 2023 booked, the 28 days that ends back in Seattle, but I keep thinking of looking for a backup cruise for that spring.  It's our favorite time to travel, and sure don't want to be left at home with no plans.  

• Like 19

48 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Hope it all works out,  love your attitude.   Venice is our favourite big city, and you will likely fly into there as Trieste is smaller anyway.   We visited there on a day trip.   Enjoy!  

Thank you!  Actually we start in Barcelona and fly home from Venice.  I didn't really have much time to plan and would prefer more time pre and post cruise but with DH still working couldn't work out anything longer.  Back in 2000 I spent 2 weeks in Venice in an apartment and it was magical.

Sorry to hear about your Japan cruise.  I'm sure something else will work out for you.

• Like 16

I had the extreme misfortune of being an only child. I had 1 grandma and 1 uncle in the town where I grew up, all 6 of my cousins and their families  lived at least 100 miles away. Life was very lonesome but I loved the library. It would have been nice to be able to have a wild side.

The meal of the day looked wonderful until I read the recipies and found that all 3 include anchovies so thanks but no thanks. The white wine is something I would very much enjoy.

I have been to Fanning Island, 11 years ago cruising aboard the Rotterdam. While there I watched a lady make a beautiful shell basket which I purchased for $10.00. Still have the basket displayed on an open shelf in my kitchen.

I am praying for all on our prayer list and request that you pray for my only brother-in-law who is having surgery for lung cancer tomorrow.  Roy, I am not requesting that he be put on the list as the tunor is small and hopefully this will be a once and done procedure.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that about Japan.  I wonder when they will open up for tourism again.  We have spring 2023 booked, the 28 days that ends back in Seattle, but I keep thinking of looking for a backup cruise for that spring.  It's our favorite time to travel, and sure don't want to be left at home with no plans.  

Thanks, had hopes for this fall.   A backup is always a good idea.  We have spring booked too.

48 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you!  Actually we start in Barcelona and fly home from Venice.  I didn't really have much time to plan and would prefer more time pre and post cruise but with DH still working couldn't work out anything longer.  Back in 2000 I spent 2 weeks in Venice in an apartment and it was magical.

Sorry to hear about your Japan cruise.  I'm sure something else will work out for you.

Thanks,  we’ve visited Venice several times and our favourite was an apartment too. But we on,y had a week! 

• Like 14

Back to talk a bit with y'all.  Lots of info from everyone today.  

@dfishDebbie, the shrimp dish looks delicious but I guess you could take out the anchovies if you didn't like them.  But then it wouldn't be puttanesca I guess.  I wonder how it would taste with them?🤔

@smitty34877Terry, did the nurse see Tana yet?  Wondered what she thought of the situation.

@Sea ViewerI hope your DH was released by now.  I do know how long it takes to get the discharge papers ready.  Very frustrating!  

@Cruising-alongCarolyn, no there were no tours that I know of at Fanning Island.  Somebody who was very enterprising set up a truck with a cover over the bed to take people on little rides down the road to look at the sights.  Here is what it looked like. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIEtVMehR6Zxouo24IJYn77?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590608

@HAL SailerMelisa how did your haircuts go today?  Did your DH approve of his experience?  I feel quite refreshed after my salon visit.  There are always one or two men coming in for haircuts when I am in there.  The salon stylists are all women and the men don't mind that at all.  Most have been coming in for years.  They always get a great cut!

@marshhawkAnn, your feral Fawn is a pretty kitty.  Thanks for the photo!  And I'm glad to hear your dentist was able to help you out and provide a payment plan for the cost.  How long until your vacation?

@lazey1another Fanning Island visitor!  Nice you have a memento from your stop there.  Wishing your DBIL good luck tomorrow during surgery.  I'm sure it will go smoothly.  🤞

I also enjoyed helping out at the kids' schools in the library, just as a volunteer.  One year during elementary school way out west my best friend and I took on the annual Scholastic book sale as co-chairs.  It's amazing how organized Moms/homemakers can be, and we're good with money too.  📚

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

I had the extreme misfortune of being an only child. I had 1 grandma and 1 uncle in the town where I grew up, all 6 of my cousins and their families  lived at least 100 miles away. Life was very lonesome but I loved the library. It would have been nice to be able to have a wild side.

The meal of the day looked wonderful until I read the recipies and found that all 3 include anchovies so thanks but no thanks. The white wine is something I would very much enjoy.

I have been to Fanning Island, 11 years ago cruising aboard the Rotterdam. While there I watched a lady make a beautiful shell basket which I purchased for $10.00. Still have the basket displayed on an open shelf in my kitchen.

I am praying for all on our prayer list and request that you pray for my only brother-in-law who is having surgery for lung cancer tomorrow.  Roy, I am not requesting that he be put on the list as the tunor is small and hopefully this will be a once and done procedure.

Jane

Sending  prayers  for  your BIL.

Jim.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Back to talk a bit with y'all.  Lots of info from everyone today.  

@dfishDebbie, the shrimp dish looks delicious but I guess you could take out the anchovies if you didn't like them.  But then it wouldn't be puttanesca I guess.  I wonder how it would taste with them?🤔

@smitty34877Terry, did the nurse see Tana yet?  Wondered what she thought of the situation.

@Sea ViewerI hope your DH was released by now.  I do know how long it takes to get the discharge papers ready.  Very frustrating!  

@Cruising-alongCarolyn, no there were no tours that I know of at Fanning Island.  Somebody who was very enterprising set up a truck with a cover over the bed to take people on little rides down the road to look at the sights.  Here is what it looked like. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIEtVMehR6Zxouo24IJYn77?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590608

@HAL SailerMelisa how did your haircuts go today?  Did your DH approve of his experience?  I feel quite refreshed after my salon visit.  There are always one or two men coming in for haircuts when I am in there.  The salon stylists are all women and the men don't mind that at all.  Most have been coming in for years.  They always get a great cut!

@marshhawkAnn, your feral Fawn is a pretty kitty.  Thanks for the photo!  And I'm glad to hear your dentist was able to help you out and provide a payment plan for the cost.  How long until your vacation?

@lazey1another Fanning Island visitor!  Nice you have a memento from your stop there.  Wishing your DBIL good luck tomorrow during surgery.  I'm sure it will go smoothly.  🤞

I also enjoyed helping out at the kids' schools in the library, just as a volunteer.  One year during elementary school way out west my best friend and I took on the annual Scholastic book sale as co-chairs.  It's amazing how organized Moms/homemakers can be, and we're good with money too.  📚

Thank you Sandi,for your concern and prayers.Medication is being adjusted as I write and I hope it will help with breathing and the resultant severe anxiety.

I will be back later with better news,I hope.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Only child here, with no wild side to speak of. On the other hand, my circle of friends is so staid that going to the Faroe Islands, which I've done, was considered wild and exotic.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

A little disheartening this morning to find our Fall Japan cruise has been cancelled by Celebrity.

I had been booked for a TPAC from Japan on Celebrity this month that was cancelled. They offered me the same terms for next year's sailing, but the dates don't work -- I could get to Yokohama just in time to embark, but I'd have no time in Japan before it.

That was sort of what led me to book TATL on HAL for the fall of 2023. Instead of the TPAC this spring, I booked a Greek islands cruise to replace one that was cancelled in 2021. I've been studying Greek on Duolingo and can say things like "She isn't young and she isn't very thin," which I have absolutely no intention of saying in any language.

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

Hi everyone,

We are home after a stop at the pharmacy to pick up some new meds. DH is happy to be home. I've rescheduled 3 dermatologist appointments and left a message  with the primary care office for an appointment for this week for post hospital visit.

I'm in the process of creating an excel spreadsheet to track meds etc on a dairy basis, got to keep him honest!!

Mary 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am lucky to have a sister but both of my parents are an only child, that means no aunts or uncles.  My entire family can sit around my dining room table.  Can’t decide if such a small family is a blessing or a curse.

Librarians are a blessing.  I don’t know what I would have done during the pandemic without books.  My library keeps a total of how much I’ve saved by borrowing instead of buying books.  My total is more than $45,000!

Positive thoughts for all who need them, especially the people of Ukraine 🇺🇦 

• Like 15

I salute my son today because he is an only child and survived the experience! I worked in the town library during high school and then in the college library - I still have the silver letter opener they gave me as a graduation present. I visited Fanning Island in 2019 on the Eurodam - a fascinating little dot in a big ocean! I've tried to attach a PowerPoint presentation about the visit -- we'll see if it works. My wild side came & went (mostly) during college - a long time ago! 

I got booster #2 today and so far no ill effects. Hope that lasts. And best of all, after 3 weeks in the body shop for repairs, my car should be ready tomorrow! Yay!

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and congratulations to all who are celebrating! Stay safe!

A Fanning Island donation presentation 2019.pptx

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sure you can take out the anchovies.  Maybe it wouldn't be puttanesca in a strict sense, but it would be a variation of it.  Food is subjective and recipes are building blocks.  Any recipe can be adjusted to fit the tastes of the cook.   I leave carrots out of everything!  Well, except for carrot cake.  

@smitty34877 I am glad the nurse saw Tana.  Hoping the medication adjustment does the trick and she can rest comfortably.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I would like to thank all of you for your kindness  as it has been a long day.That includes @mamaofami, @StLouisCruisers,

@marshhawk, @rafinmd, @puppycanducruise, @grapau27 @cat shepard, @Sea Viewer, @JAM37, @AncientWanderer and  @bennybear as well  as @irishjim. Whew.I hope I remembered  everyone. 

We had the counselor here to assist the entire family as well as the nurse. My DH is a retired social worker but that does not help when it is your own family in a bad way. I can honestly  say we are so exhausted at this point that we could probably sleep at 5 pm. Tana's  son is seeing his counselor  tomorrow.  

I am sure  we will get through this  and hopefully things will  balance out.

I am so grateful for your support. 

Terry

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

3 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I would like to thank all of you for your kindness  as it has been a long day.That includes @mamaofami, @StLouisCruisers,

@marshhawk, @rafinmd, @puppycanducruise, @grapau27 @cat shepard, @Sea Viewer, @JAM37, @AncientWanderer and  @bennybear as well  as @irishjim. Whew.I hope I remembered  everyone. 

We had the counselor here to assist the entire family as well as the nurse. My DH is a retired social worker but that does not help when it is your own family in a bad way. I can honestly  say we are so exhausted at this point that we could probably sleep at 5 pm. Tana's  son is seeing his counselor  tomorrow.  

I am sure  we will get through this  and hopefully things will  balance out.

I am so grateful for your support. 

Terry

Sending prayers 🙏 for all your family Terry.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!  It’s been a while since I last posted, though I read daily.  This is MY day, as an only child of only children, so a good day to get back to posting.  Also, we were able to visit Fanning Island, on Rotterdam VI, in 2012.  Sorry I can’t post pictures, but enjoyed seeing the ones shown, today.

• Like 13

Success!!!

DH loves his haircut! ☑️ 

It wasn't too feminine as DH wasn't the only guy there. ☑️

He's not so sure about the pricing structure, but DH still thinks...

💈"Shave and a haircut...two bits!"💈

-Melisa

• Like 12
  • Haha 10