Internal conflict….help only no judgement please

jenlock21

I am currently on the first part of a B2B on the Summit. There are less than 400 passengers on board and service for the most part has been amazing. This is one of the best dinning room experiences we have had….from the sommelier, our room attendant, to the server and even the bartender in the lounge and the concierge have been top notch. The problem I am having is with the retreat host aka the butler. Background: this is only our second celebrity cruise. The first was on the reflection and our host was amazing. We don’t ask for much but we didn’t have to. He brought our coffee every morning, snacks in the afternoon, found us several times during the day to tell us about events or to see if we needed anything. Before that we always sailed on the NCL haven about ten times and the butlers there were unbelievable every time. This cruise for the first half we are in a CS. We did not see our host at all day one. Day two was our anniversary and he apologized for day one and put a few balloons in our room. Aside from that we have only seen him once in the morning to bring us coffee and fruit (we fill out the room service card and he collects it and is prompt). We move to a royal suite next and I do not want him to go with us. I will leave him a great tip even though I am not happy with the service but I do not know if I’m being unreasonable, am expecting too much,  or if we have just been VERY lucky on our last 11 cruises. Any thoughts? 

1. Don't leave a great tip if you haven't been satisfied with the service.

2. Talk to the Retreat Concierge about your second week and see if that host is assigned to the RS. If so, comment about what the issues are. (I'm not sure what they are; unless you're asking for specific things, the host isn't a mind reader.)

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

1. Don't leave a great tip if you haven't been satisfied with the service.

2. Talk to the Retreat Concierge about your second week and see if that host is assigned to the RS. If so, comment about what the issues are. (I'm not sure what they are; unless you're asking for specific things, the host isn't a mind reader.)

Obviously I know he is not a mind reader we just have not seen him. I guess we just aren’t used to that. Day one our bags sat outside for hours while we weren’t in the room, the concierge set up my husbands cpap, we have gotten no reminders for spa appointments or dinner reservations, the breakfast tray is propped on the side of the table and the food left in the room for hours, there have been no afternoon canapés….we are new to celebrity so I was just unsure if this was normal. 

9 minutes ago, jenlock21 said:

Obviously I know he is not a mind reader we just have not seen him. I guess we just aren’t used to that. Day one our bags sat outside for hours while we weren’t in the room, the concierge set up my husbands cpap, we have gotten no reminders for spa appointments or dinner reservations, the breakfast tray is propped on the side of the table and the food left in the room for hours, there have been no afternoon canapés….we are new to celebrity so I was just unsure if this was normal. 

Okay, so those are issues. I'd mention all of that to the host himself or to the Retreat Concierge.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Why give a big tip if you are dissatisfied?

why have you not asked him to come to your suite to discuss this?

why have you not talked to the retreat concierge about your expectations?

Honestly because I’m southern and catholic. I was not raised to complain, I never want to get anyone in trouble, and I’ve never had an issue that warranted discussion. I suppose I should be more vocal but I do not know his number and have not seen him. 
I will mention it to the concierge tonight when we go in for pre dinner drinks to see if he will be there for our second half. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Okay, so those are issues. I'd mention all of that to the host himself or to the Retreat Concierge.

Keep it " simple "---

Only deal with someone that can help you--

The Butler--- and, I'm sure he/her will take care of your " concerns ".

No need to get other Staff members involved---

Edited by Pinboy
Forgot a point
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jenlock21 said:

Honestly because I’m southern and catholic. I was not raised to complain, I never want to get anyone in trouble, and I’ve never had an issue that warranted discussion. I suppose I should be more vocal but I do not know his number and have not seen him. 
I will mention it to the concierge tonight when we go in for pre dinner drinks to see if he will be there for our second half. 

I hear that. 

I believe you're justified mentioning this to the Concierge.  Not all are good.  I've been in the Haven, too.  Some excellent butlers...some, not so much.  My last personal concierge on the APEX was outstanding.  the one before that on the EDGE...mediocre.

28 minutes ago, jenlock21 said:

I am currently on the first part of a B2B on the Summit. There are less than 400 passengers on board and service for the most part has been amazing. This is one of the best dinning room experiences we have had….from the sommelier, our room attendant, to the server and even the bartender in the lounge and the concierge have been top notch. The problem I am having is with the retreat host aka the butler. Background: this is only our second celebrity cruise. The first was on the reflection and our host was amazing. We don’t ask for much but we didn’t have to. He brought our coffee every morning, snacks in the afternoon, found us several times during the day to tell us about events or to see if we needed anything. Before that we always sailed on the NCL haven about ten times and the butlers there were unbelievable every time. This cruise for the first half we are in a CS. We did not see our host at all day one. Day two was our anniversary and he apologized for day one and put a few balloons in our room. Aside from that we have only seen him once in the morning to bring us coffee and fruit (we fill out the room service card and he collects it and is prompt). We move to a royal suite next and I do not want him to go with us. I will leave him a great tip even though I am not happy with the service but I do not know if I’m being unreasonable, am expecting too much,  or if we have just been VERY lucky on our last 11 cruises. Any thoughts? 

I would speak to the retreat concierge and tell them what has happened. I was on a back to back cruise on the Apex disembarking April 23rd. The 1st week the butler was okay. On the 2nd week Saturday morning we placed our dirty glasses on the end of the table went to the pool for the day.  Came back dirty glasses weren't removed, no ice and didn't refill the diet coke.  We go out for dinner come back every and everything was the same. The next morning my roommate saw the butler in hall and told him.  His answer was it was turn around day.  So we got no clean glasses, ice or diet coke. We didn't even get champagne. I went and saw  the retreat concierge and they gave us a new butler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jenlock21 said:

We don’t have his number either!

honestly, you don’t want to get him in trouble but you will come complain to us, perfect strangers, who can do nothing?  I don’t get it and I don’t see what geography or religion have to do with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I fully understand not wishing to get him in trouble when you haven’t asked for things that he’s not done, but I’d suggest along with the others that you inform the retreat concierge and explain you aren’t complaining but you need a more proactive butler. Describe what you had prior and go that way.

not a complaint against him but a need for a butler who will do the special things without being asked.

the concierge can then get what you need and help train the current one. Could be he has a Very demanding other passengers.

Let the Concierge work it. It will help you And the butler. 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

We don’t have his number either!

honestly, you don’t want to get him in trouble but you will come complain to us, perfect strangers, who can do nothing?  I don’t get it and I don’t see what geography or religion have to do with it.

Let me reiterate that I was not looking for judgement, only advice. I did not know if someone on here had been through a similar situation and had something helpful to do. This is new to us in all of our years of   Cruising and our first cruise since Covid. I did not know if this was the new normal or not. That was all. I’m not trying to complain just to see if there was a solution that someone else had found helpful. That is the idea behind a forum. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Your butler may have as many as 16 staterooms and not all on one deck.   On one cruise we were in a RS and the butler had to apologize to is about the lack of personal service.   There was an extremely needy couple, actually just the husband, who demanded the butler stand outside the Penthouse Suite in case he needed him.   Often times he had to be in the suite to pour drinks including water for the couple and also had to draw water for the bath.

Just have a frank discussion with your retreat host about your needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I certainly would have addressed these issues on Day 2 or 3 and if you couldn’t find him ask the Retreat Concierge for his number and call him.  Personally I would just have a chat with the Retreat Concierge and ask him/her to remedy the problem.

4 minutes ago, islabahia said:

I certainly would have addressed these issues on Day 2 or 3 and if you couldn’t find him ask the Retreat Concierge for his number and call him.  Personally I would just have a chat with the Retreat Concierge and ask him/her to remedy the problem.

You are right I should have talked to him or gotten his number. 

3 minutes ago, jenlock21 said:

Let me reiterate that I was not looking for judgement, only advice.

Ok, so you see where this is going ?

The Retreat Concierge has a " million " ( ?? ) things going on-- passengers with " issues " , reservation requests, etc. ( I would go " crazy " waiting for him/her to get back to me ).

The Hotel Manager -- Good luck getting his/her attention as they are always in a meeting ( ?? ) and their answer would be---  " Sorry about the inconvenience -- I'll have XX look into it and get back to you ".

( I would go " crazy " waiting for him/her to get back to me ).

However, it guarantees a plate of chocolate covered strawberries waiting in your suite when you return from dinner.

Take care of it yourself. You can do it .

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jenlock21 said:

Hi jenlock,

I understand you completely because I used to think like you.  But in the last few years, I have  stopped being too nice because it doesn't get us anywhere, does it?  Except unhappy.  AND I am 74!  Took me long enough, didn't it???

So like others have said, speak with the butler first, explaining what you would like him to do.  (BTW, with the $$$ you spent for a suite, you deserve the service!)  Just be your usual nice and calm self. And if his answers or attitude don't suit you, just tell him "okee, dokee"  and head for the retreat concierge. Find out if he will be your butler in the RS (now THAT is a LOT of $$$, so you certainly deserve  the royal suite treatment).  If yes, ask for another butler.

You do not sound unreasonable or demanding...just too nice.  Let your feelings be known and get the service you deserve.  

Good luck and Aloha!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jenlock21 said:

It is my understand that this is not normal AND I recommend that you speak with the Retreat Host who will get it sorted and corrected for you immediately.

There may be a reason that your Butler is not attentive, yet your issue is service which you will want to address right away.

Others have been in the same position in the past and that was the course of action to take.

I Am sure, from your posting(s) that you will be tactful about it and things will be handled accordingly.

Do not let it go on for another day, please.

Let us know how you make out.

bon voyage

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

You say the ship is at greatly reduced capacity.  Does the Retreat feel full?  Just wondering.  And I think the decision to talk to the Butler or take it up with the Retreat Host is an individual one.  Do whichever you are more comfortable with.  No, you are not experiencing the “new normal” but as others have said, some Butlers are better than others.  If you are not happy with his services you certainly can make sure he is not servicing your second leg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree with many others.    You have already paid gratuities.   If anyone - Butler, waiter etc just do their job and nothing more I do not feel compelled to either leave them additional gratuities or even a number 10 ratting. 

If however the person wither it is a Sommelier or a Butler who goes the step above  I feel very comfortable leaving a good gratuity.    One thing to remember is that just because you give someone a tip doesn't mean it goes to them.   In many areas all tips are pooled.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jenlock21 said:

Let me reiterate that I was not looking for judgement, only advice.

This is the internet. Judgement is EVERYWHERE!

My advise would be,  next time you see him tell him you are less then satisfied with the service. I'd tell him exactly why you are not satisfied and see if things improve. If you have every done an employee performance review treat it like that. "We appreciate the job you are doing being so prompt in the morning with coffee and fruit but here's where we need to see some improvement..."

Good luck. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Thanks 1