Live from Royal Princess sailing May 2, 2022 for 12 nights rountrip from Vancouver to Alaska

lks

Thanks all for your Happy Anniversary wishes! We are bar hopping and currently having a nice glass of wine at vines. The sail away was nice and going under the lions gate Bridge was awesome as usual!! Picked up a watch band for my medallion, way better then the rope hanging around my neck. Met our room steward, Frenchy, awesome guy. He had a glass of welcome aboard champagne for us. So far we love this ship and the staff are absolutely thrilled to have us. We talked to a lot of them, of course the bartenders, as that is the only place we have been so far, and they have been off since covid. I thought that some of the staff might have come from other ships but I think the majority of them have been off for at least 2 years.

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary!!   Enjoy your cruise.

Curious about the officers ?   Could you take a picture of them?  Not sure exactly where they have the picture hanging.   Every ships is different.   Or maybe they are listed in the patter.    Thank you.

2 hours ago, compozer said:

Curious about the officers ?   Could you take a picture of them?  Not sure exactly where they have the picture hanging.   Every ships is different.   Or maybe they are listed in the patter.    Thank you.

Mg is on it but she is having problems posting pictures right now as there is internet issues.

20220502_203536.thumb.jpg.f9b097c1b8f7060c21e16a4ad8010e7b.jpg

2 hours ago, compozer said:

• Like 1

@mrsskyhook. Thank you for your photo journalism.  May I make a small recommendation?  My daughters have suggested that i take most of my photos landscape (sideways).  They will fit on a screen better. Unless, of course, you are trying to show height...then portrait is the better choice.  I think you will find it easier to frame a photo for sharing.  It is only a suggestion and am looking forward to more of your posts.  

It doesn't seem to be a very full ship.  I am wondering if someone onboard can find out the passenger load.  I haven't heard of anyone being left behind.  Have a wonderful cruise and thank you again and again for taking the time to share.

Following.

We are

Boarding Discovery on Wednesday.

Did you fill in ArriveCAN app?

Was there priority boarding?

Thanks for sharing & Happy Anniversary!! 

Thank you for posting the Live report. I'll be on Royal later this month. 

Look like Kevin is the Cruise Director. We had Kevin as CD on Majestic during the Jan cruise -- he's pretty good. I'm glad to have him as CD again.

3 hours ago, mrsskyhook said:

20220502_203536.thumb.jpg.f9b097c1b8f7060c21e16a4ad8010e7b.jpg

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@mrsskyhook. Thank you for your photo journalism.  May I make a small recommendation?  My daughters have suggested that i take most of my photos landscape (sideways).  They will fit on a screen better. Unless, of course, you are trying to show height...then portrait is the better choice.  I think you will find it easier to frame a photo for sharing.  It is only a suggestion and am looking forward to more of your posts.  

It doesn't seem to be a very full ship.  I am wondering if someone onboard can find out the passenger load.  I haven't heard of anyone being left behind.  Have a wonderful cruise and thank you again and again for taking the time to share.

The Cruise Director announced at the show last night that we have approximately 1650 passengers so around 50%

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dog said:

Following.

We are

Boarding Discovery on Wednesday.

Did you fill in ArriveCAN app?

Was there priority boarding?

Thanks for sharing & Happy Anniversary!! 

Yes everyone had to fill in the arrivecan app before boarding. Being in Club Class we had a priority area that we sat in before boarding. Boarding was a bit weird though as their was no announcement. As we were seated there was Princess staff going around helping people do the arrivecan app who didn't do it before arriving at the terminal like we did. We noticed people randomly getting up and going to board the ship so we followed and boarded. Maybe because we had pre done the app we didn't have to sit but just board the ship? We'll never know for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lks said:

Mg is on it but she is having problems posting pictures right now as there is internet issues.

Oh no, day 1 and Internet problems already. We will be boarding May 28th. Hopefully embarcation lines go down after ship opens. We will be staying at the Pan Pacific and have boarding group A, wonder  if waiting till line crashers have gotten on board and secured their precious Santuary reservations is a better option. Just don't want to spend starting vacation in a line. Id rather be down the street or at Coyotes drinking a beer.

• Like 2

Good morning!  We are currently cruising along the western side of Vancouver Island, adjacent to Port Alice.  The weather is wet and dreary, so we cannot see the shore.  

My first impressions of this ship are very positive. Our last several cruises were on Celebrity Eclipse, and we liked it very much.  Royal Princess is a much brighter decor, lots of light and a fair amount of bling in the design.

Our cabin (club class mini suite) is very compact, even though it is larger than a regular cabin.  The little bathtub is a bonus.

We also noticed the seating in the Princess Theatre was very tight.  Larger people may be uncomfortable in the seats.   The ship was clearly built with fitting as many people as possible into each venue.   That said, as Lyle has mentioned, we are sailing at less than 50% capacity, so no issues with crowds on this sailing. 

I take back what I said about no kids.... there are a few.  I think I counted 5 or 6 outside on the deck watching us sail away and under the Lion's gate bridge.

The vast majority of the passengers are in our age bracket (60's) and so far I have not encountered any obvious groups of people travelling together.   

The crew are genuinely pleased to be back to work after over 2 years off, however it will take a while for everyone to get back into the swing of things. It was apparent last night at the bars, and in the restarant that a few people are a bit rusty, shall we say.  We are finding that patience and a smile go a long way to easing the situation.  

Last night one of the bartenders made me a special martini.  I asked for a cherry martini, and she really ramped it up with cherry brandy and heaven only knows what other good stuff. As soon as I said I like it, she made a note on my file with her recipe so any other bartender can make it for me if I ask them to read the notes

Well we are off to breakfast. More later

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, mrsskyhook said:

Good morning!  We are currently cruising along the western side of Vancouver Island, adjacent to Port Alice.  The weather is wet and dreary, so we cannot see the shore.  

My first impressions of this ship are very positive. Our last several cruises were on Celebrity Eclipse, and we liked it very much.  Royal Princess is a much brighter decor, lots of light and a fair amount of bling in the design.

Thanks for posting! This is one of our favorite things about Princess ships! When we were on the Celebrity Reflection, we felt as though we were in a dungeon.

I forgot to mention... when we arrived at our cabin yesterday there were two documents waiting for us on the desk. Both had our cabin number on them. The first was a spa confirmation for a full body Swedish massage on Saturday at 10:30... Unfortunately it is for another person. (Hope you enjoy it, Bonnie!)  I returned the paper to the spa so they could get it to the right cabin.

The other document was a card to be presented to the dining room staff regarding our anniversary.  The funny thing was, it was addressed to my husband and another man!  I wonder what the other guy got in his cabin? 

Oh well, if those things are my biggest problem, it's a pretty darn good day. As my friend says "today does not suck". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Enjoy and Happy Anniversary. We are doing our first Princess cruise starting with 8 days on land prior to boarding the Royal on June18th. Any little tips you can share would be great. 

Thanks for starting this live.  We are also on this cruise.  So I can give my opinion of this cruise. This is my 3rd cruise since restart. 2nd with princess.

Took princess shuttle  from Seattle  to Vancouver.   We arrived at pier about 1:30pm.  Line at security and customs.  It took us about 45 minutes from drop off to board. 

We are booked  in a deluxe balcony.   Ocean medallion app is slow on phone.  It takes time to load.  

I will try to post patter.  You have to go to passenger service for a copy of the patter. 

Due to weather,  there was no sail away celebration.  Raining.  

Wulfwyn aka Tina