4th July Celebrations on board Celebrity ships ?

groryjm

We are sailing out of Civitavecchia on 4th July  and wondering what celebrations generally happen on board if any.

Should we plan on Luminae or a Speciality?

Do the American cruisers wear anything different for this night?

Are there themed decorations or shows?

Or is there no special celebration on board?

• Like 1

I have not had international itinerary experience with this, but as the 4th of July is an American celebration I would not expect there to be too much of any specific focus with this on board the ship, especially as it is a European itinerary.  Ship wide I would expect it to be pretty much just another day on board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, groryjm said:

We are sailing out of Civitavecchia on 4th July  and wondering what celebrations generally happen on board if any.

We were on Infinity, sailing out of Vancouver to Alaska on 4/07/03, and there were plenty of Americans on board. 
In fact the atmosphere was more like a Carnival cruise line and it was the one and only time that I have ever seen passengers worse for wear ( before drinks packages became the norm).There wasn’t an Elite Happy Hour either, as it was the first night of the cruise.

But, unfortunately I can’t remember whether there was any activity arranged by Celebrity.

We were on a ship over the 4th in Boston. Ship was backed into port so you could see the fireworks from the back of the ship.  Many had stayed on shore to celebrate.  There was a party on the pool deck, but rather limited attendance.  

Fireworks aren’t allowed on board but you could improvise.   Blow up balloons and burst them.  💣🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈📌🧨

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

42 minutes ago, miched said:

Fireworks aren’t allowed on board but you could improvise.   Blow up balloons and burst them.  💣🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈📌🧨

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

balloon bits are dangerous to sea life!!  a mess to clean up and not fair to crew who will be forced to do it.

• Like 1

I recall one cruise where the celebration the square in Cozumel was a good deal larger than anything done on the ship. It was rather surreal (but the hot dog was good!)

59 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

balloon bits are dangerous to sea life!!  a mess to clean up and not fair to crew who will be forced to do it.

59 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Ships are dangerous to sea life and so are fishermen.  Plastic cups, straws, bottle rings, and etc.  

People also send off those paper lanterns, along with helium and Mylar balloons

Don’t think a few balloons would hurt much and don’t really think anyone would do it.   Even if they did it wouldn’t cause as much of a mess or damage as the large firework displays that are done every year on the waterways.    What do you think happens to all of that debris and a lot of it is plastic?   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

2 minutes ago, miched said:

Ships are dangerous to sea life and so are fishermen.  Plastic cups, straws, bottle rings, and etc.

That's kind of like justifying arson because fires happen anyhow.

Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We were on Infinity, sailing out of Vancouver to Alaska on 4/07/03, and there were plenty of Americans on board. 
In fact the atmosphere was more like a Carnival cruise line and it was the one and only time that I have ever seen passengers worse for wear ( before drinks packages became the norm).There wasn’t an Elite Happy Hour either, as it was the first night of the cruise.

But, unfortunately I can’t remember whether there was any activity arranged by Celebrity.

your answering based on your experience from 20 years ago?

Pretty much except for some cakes in the buffet decorated red white and blue, don't expect anything special. Anyone in Boston on the fourth,as indicated above, will be able to view the fireworks in the harbor. Otherwise, just another day.

We’ve sailed on a Celebrity Baltic cruise from Southampton (2018) over the 4th, but I don’t recall any big celebration. I would have been surprised if there had been. First, Americans were in the minority on that cruise. Second, we sailed during the World Cup, so there was naturally quite a bit of focus on the games. Celebrity showed the England games in the theater, which was lovely. 

On our Celebrity Independence Day cruise (2017) there were decorations for both the American Independence Day and Canada Day, but most celebrating was done in Boston and Halifax. I suppose there were Americans wearing flag clothing or the colors of the flag on board, but I didn’t notice them. There were themed meals in OVC, but not in the MDR. 

49 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

We’ve sailed on a Celebrity Baltic cruise from Southampton (2018) over the 4th, but I don’t recall any big celebration. I would have been surprised if there had been. First, Americans were in the minority on that cruise. Second, we sailed during the World Cup, so there was naturally quite a bit of focus on the games. Celebrity showed the England games in the theater, which was lovely

They also had a World Cup themed buffet at the back of the theatre.

A special cake was made, but they took it away to cut it before I took a photo.

CD10EA11-0510-42D6-A132-9FD71018F6D3.thumb.jpeg.4154123b916bdfdf411379cdf362424f.jpeg

19 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

They also had a World Cup themed buffet at the back of the theatre.

A special cake was made, but they took it away to cut it before I took a photo.

I remember the buffet, but didn’t see the cake. That was a fun cruise, despite missing SPB. We had beautiful weather in Southampton (we arrived a few days early), the ports were lovely and we very much enjoyed the World Cup excitement. We were still rooting for England (England vs Sweden) when we boarded our plane for America😂

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I remember the buffet, but didn’t see the cake. That was a fun cruise, despite missing SPB. We had beautiful weather in Southampton (we arrived a few days early), the ports were lovely and we very much enjoyed the World Cup excitement. We were still rooting for England (England vs Sweden) when we boarded our plane for America😂

Very unlikely post-covid. They don't serve food in the theater anymore.

10 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Very unlikely post-covid. They don't serve food in the theater anymore.

They’ve not provided food or served drinks in the theater since the “return to cruising” but I wouldn’t place any bets that the current protocols will last forever. 

Edited by Silkroad

On a short QM 2 July 4th cruise some yrs ago, out of NY, they served a special July 4th bbq style menu with hot dogs for lunch in the tavern..,,very cool. Red white and blue shirts were popular..no fireworks.  Felt a bit odd being on a British ship...but it was a great cruise. 

8 hours ago, Silkroad said:

That was a fun cruise, despite missing SPB. We had beautiful weather in Southampton (we arrived a few days early

That was one of our best summers in England, pre cruise, so it was disappointing and surprising that we were denied entry into SPB,  due to high winds. Apparently, the entrance is narrow, so it would have been too dangerous to attempt a turn.

It must have been so disappointing for numerous passengers who had flown many thousands of miles.

EB69CD9C-6337-4AA9-AAC4-7ABAF43D7EC5.thumb.jpeg.c0325a3b4e9356d8fdccadd6291f2f75.jpeg

We have sailed on Celebrity cruise in Europe on the 4th July  and,  as others have said, apart from some food in the buffet appropriately decorated there was nothing else celebratory.    I remember because the 4th July is my birthday.   We  will  also be on the cruise this  4th July out of Civitavecchia and I am looking at a Big '0' - our own small celebration may happen! 🤪

On 5/21/2022 at 11:46 PM, Silkroad said:

They’ve not provided food or served drinks in the theater since the “return to cruising” but I wouldn’t place any bets that the current protocols will last forever. 

Hi

On the 21st April Silhouette from Southampton sailing the usual temporary bar was set up at the back of the theatre.Both sides.

• Thanks 1

As others point out, it depends on where you're sailing from.  I've sailed on July 4th before.  Sailing from FL, there was some sort of either food or drink set up for the occasion.  But, if we were in a foreign port (Mexico and/or Caribbean), there wasn't anything special that comes to mind.

Have sailed from both Barcelona and Rome over July 4th.  For obvious reasons, our U.S. Only Holiday is not recognized anywhere in Europe.

OP....not sure if it's a joke or not, but kind of strange that a U.K. resident is asking about a 4th of July celebration on board a sailing from Italy.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1