Question About Turndown Service (Or Lack Thereof)

JimmyVWine

There have been many mentions of the lack of evening bed turndown service. For those who have been in cabins with more than two occupants such that one or more additional beds must be dropped down from the ceiling or a sofa or loveseat must be converted into a bed, does the steward make up these beds routinely?  Or must one request this service?  I assume that the passengers are not required to convert the additional bed(s).  Anyone experience this since the return to sailing?

In Dec on the Enchanted, we had grandson in our cabin.  Steward automatically set up his bed each night.  No way could we have dropped down the bed in the ceiling or have made up a sofa bed if there was one in the cabin instead of the drop down bed. .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our cabin steward on March/April Emerald Princess cruise did two services a day…without us needing to request it, and without a huge ‘bribe’ on the first day.

We had Princess Plus, so tips were included and we left additional tip at the end, as he had been so good.

• Like 3

I'm finishing my second week on the Caribbean Princess now and had different cabin steward each week, but got turndown service without asking for it.  Maybe each ship is handling it differently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I'm finishing my second week on the Caribbean Princess now and had different cabin steward each week, but got turndown service without asking for it.  Maybe each ship is handling it differently. 

Or each steward is handling it differently???

• Haha 1

On sky Princess I was in no uncertain terms TOLD  1 turn down because of cdc rules ( i didnt care it's fine )?

On Enchanted was asked if I wanted both turn down we declined but the steward said let me know on outside screen if we changed our minds ....

11 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

In Dec on the Enchanted, we had grandson in our cabin.  Steward automatically set up his bed each night.  No way could we have dropped down the bed in the ceiling or have made up a sofa bed if there was one in the cabin instead of the drop down bed. .

Thanks.  I fully intend on receiving this service.  I was just wondering how hard I am going to have to fight to get it!  😆

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

I was on Sky Princess in April in a mini suite with 3 passengers.  We had service twice a day, without asking for it.  The steward made up the sofa bed in the morning and got it ready in the evening when we left for dinner.

52 minutes ago, fishnchips said:

On sky Princess I was in no uncertain terms TOLD  1 turn down because of cdc rules ( i didnt care it's fine )?

On Enchanted was asked if I wanted both turn down we declined but the steward said let me know on outside screen if we changed our minds ....

I'm not questioning you, but I don't believe that the CDC rules state this (could be wrong, but I'd like to see the rule).    Makes no sense when a server can serve 3X a day.    If you aren't in your room, where's the risk of catching covid? 

On the Majestic , Club Class, we had to ask our cabin stewed for the evening turn-down service, after which it was provided.  The evening turn-down service and nightly chocolate (which was not provided) were promised in writing by Princess —not “on request” like tea and canapés.  So I should not have had to request turn-down service.

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Thanks.  I fully intend on receiving this service.  I was just wondering how hard I am going to have to fight to get it!  😆

Can’t imagine having to fight to get a bunk bed made up. I enjoy not having the night service when it is just the two of us.  Have a clean room all day with towels for night use and we are good to go

I think (for me anyway) part of the problem is I've had it in the past.   Turning down my bed is something that makes cruising feel special.    There has always been a push to show how cruising is elegant....thus the formal nights and 4 course meals.   Turning down the bed is just another thing that adds to the cruise experience which makes you feel good.   For some it might not be that big of a deal.

In our house, the last person up makes the bed......(which is always without exception my husband).  So, inevitably, I have to remake the bed every night before I go to sleep.   Having turn down service on a cruise ship is one of the most appreciated things for me on a cruise.    I know, we all have our priorities 🤣

• Like 5

We’ve had evening turndown service on 4 cruises since the restart. 2 cruises on Majestic (full-suite & CC mini-suite). 2 cruises on Sky (both in a mini-suite). I would certainly be asking questions if the cabin steward told me they couldn’t do evening turn down service because of the CDC. 

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Or each steward is handling it differently???

Has there been any Covid on the ship?  Are people wearing masks and distancing?  We board in a couple of weeks and have heard many Covid stories coming off other ships.

5 hours ago, crimsonbird said:

Has there been any Covid on the ship?  Are people wearing masks and distancing?  We board in a couple of weeks and have heard many Covid stories coming off other ships.

If you are asking about CB, we are currently on board.  Have heard no mention of Covid cases, but it wouldn't be announced the way Celebrity did on our last two cruises.  No social distancing (especially on excursions, tenders, theater).  Maskng from what I've observed (I mask) is probably 1%.  Both evening shows at theater packed.  We had one hour wait in Theater today for excursions.  No coughing or sneezing heard.  Isolation looks to be on Aloha/Deck 12 portside (we are starboard side).

On our recent cruise on Royal Princess our steward made a point of telling us we could have nightly turn down service either on specific nights we requested or every night. I would have like the daily turn down service but my wife told him not to bother. Okay. I can handle it. Sigh... It really wasn't a problem and I'm sure he appreciated being "off the hook" for the evening turn down service. He was an excellent steward.

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

On our recent cruise on Royal Princess our steward made a point of telling us we could have nightly turn down service either on specific nights we requested or every night. I would have like the daily turn down service but my wife told him not to bother. Okay. I can handle it. Sigh... It really wasn't a problem and I'm sure he appreciated being "off the hook" for the evening turn down service. He was an excellent steward.

We had the same experience on the Royal. Our steward mentioned the first day that we could have evening turn down service only by request. We let him know right then and there we wanted it. Additionally in our adult kids’ room next door we needed the sofa bed made up. The first night we came back to our rooms and neither had been serviced. I was not a happy camper but understood that this was the first night of the first cruise for the Royal. But we needed my daughter’s bed readied and needed extra pillows and blankets we had requested. What really upset me is when I tried to call the number our steward provided to contact him it rolled over to housekeeping and put me on hold. After holding for nearly 30 minutes I was pretty peeved. It was now nearly 10:30 and I had to walk down to guest services to get assistance. They were apologetic and did make sure to get someone sent to our rooms in about 20 minutes. But it was frustrating for sure. The next day I reiterated to our steward that we really wanted turn down service each day and from then on we had no further issues. 

16 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I'm not questioning you, but I don't believe that the CDC rules state this (could be wrong, but I'd like to see the rule).    Makes no sense when a server can serve 3X a day.    If you aren't in your room, where's the risk of catching covid? 

I agree, don't think there was any rule from the cdc but after a long travel day I wasn't going to disagree with the steward that TOLD us this rule,.....as I turned out we prefer this for OUR routine.

it turns out after 12 days ..he wasn't the best steward and didn't receive an "extra" tip at the end ...

we discussed this ourselves before leaving and realised he used this excuse as a get out ...he also had a helper that did most of the work even most cabins were empty ...

• Like 1

We don’t need the turn down service so will definitely tell them not to bother. You still get the Patter delivered and left outside door I assume, is that right? I’m also guessing  you no longer get the little chocolates left. We used to take them home for Grandkids but they can do without them 😆

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

We don’t need the turn down service so will definitely tell them not to bother. You still get the Patter delivered and left outside door I assume, is that right? I’m also guessing  you no longer get the little chocolates left. We used to take them home for Grandkids but they can do without them 😆

The Patter was placed on the bed even with no turn down ....no chocs anymore.

our chocs were for emergency use while travelling back ....you get hungry with no buffet available 😋

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amajaa said:

We don’t need the turn down service so will definitely tell them not to bother. You still get the Patter delivered and left outside door I assume, is that right?

On the Caribbean Princess (and old ship) and the Enchanted Princess (a brand new ship) there are no mailboxes outside the door.  Our stewards on both placed the Patter on our bed.  Our steward on the Enchanted also changed out the towels each night although we didn't request that nor did we leave the towels on the floor.

9 hours ago, amajaa said:

No chocolates. ☹️

You can tell your steward you want the patters or if you search though the app (& IIRC on the TV) you can ask for them there.