Diamond Four Drinks Per Day

First off, yes, I have searched on this forum and have not found an answer to my questions.  For the last ten years, or so, every cruise I have been on I have bought the drinks package and have been content with the pricing.  However, on my upcoming eight night Mariner cruise, 1300 dollars, including the 18 % tip, doesn't seem like a good enough price for my wife and I.  We have relatives in two other cabins, and they will bring aboard two bottles of wine for us, plus we have other ways to get booze aboard.  I believe our bar bill will be excessive at first, but will taper off after a few days and will not reach 1k.

1.  Can I pick which drinks I pay for and which will be part of the four free ones ?  For example, I would rather pay for my 8 dollar beer and get my 12 dollar martini on the house.

2.  My son, who is 15 years old, is also a diamond member.  Can I access his four drinks per day for adult beverages ?

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

Yes and (probably) yes.

Be sure when ordering a beer that you specify DO NOT USE MY DIAMOND VOUCHER.  If they don't ask you to sign a slip, they did NOT charge you for the drink.

As for your son's status, most people report being able to use a child's D vouchers for adult beverages, but once in a while it has not been allowed.  I would imagine it varies based on the bartender, so if not successful at one bar, try another.  You can also use the tried and true method of tipping in cash -- staff seem to be much more amenable to requests when paper money is involved.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yes just let the bartender know and you can find the status of how many vouchers you have left by asking a bartender to check before ordering a drink. It’s good to check because somehow they charged a bottle of wine to our diamond voucher and it took a day to fix the mess.  After midnight on the last night you will get 4 more vouchers. Time to party the last night!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

As for your son's status, most people report being able to use a child's D vouchers for adult beverages, but once in a while it has not been allowed.  I would imagine it varies based on the bartender, so if not successful at one bar, try another.

Thats great news. I knew there was a reason we bring our three children cruising. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yes and (probably) yes.

Be sure when ordering a beer that you specify DO NOT USE MY DIAMOND VOUCHER.  If they don't ask you to sign a slip, they did NOT charge you for the drink.

As for your son's status, most people report being able to use a child's D vouchers for adult beverages, but once in a while it has not been allowed.  I would imagine it varies based on the bartender, so if not successful at one bar, try another.  You can also use the tried and true method of tipping in cash -- staff seem to be much more amenable to requests when paper money is involved.

I would  hope a bar tender would NEVER allow an alcoholic drink be put on a  child’s sea pass card.  And to bribe a bartender to do so is sad.   Crew need their job and can’t afford a bad survey response because they didn’t break the rules  and serve a minor some alcohol. 

No problem to use a minors 4 daily  drinks for soft drinks,  smoothies etc. 

m

• Like 8

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yes and (probably) yes.

I doubt you are going to get alcoholic drinks for a kids account.  Diamond perks for minors is not exactly the same as adults.  

I accidentally brought my sons card out with me on our last cruise (he is a jr. So easy mistake to make) and the bar tender let me know to make sure I brought the right card next time because I couldn’t buy drinks with it because he was a minor.  

We were Star class so he knew I had the package and of course he pulled up my info to make the transaction.  But honestly, if I wasn’t Star class I get the feeling I would’ve been walking back to get my card which would be understandable.  Maybe not, but point is I doubt they go out of their way to break rules to give out free drinks.  Who knows, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense if the norm is for parents to get alcoholic drinks off of a kids allotment.  I have three kids and we are Diamond plus.  That would give my wife and I 25 free alcoholic drinks a day.  😂😂😂😂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yes and (probably) yes.

Hopefully the bartender that serves the drink to the minor is fired. (yes, if you use their card, that child just bought a drink even is free, and the bartender should immediately be fired)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, topnole said:

I doubt you are going to get alcoholic drinks for a kids account.  Diamond perks for minors is not exactly the same as adults.  

I accidentally brought my sons card out with me on our last cruise (he is a jr. So easy mistake to make) and the bar tender let me know to make sure I brought the right card next time because I couldn’t buy drinks with it because he was a minor.  

I agree. I do think that there are people on here (like all forums) who make up things just because they can and the report or two saying you can use kids vouchers for adult drinks may just be trying to bait someone into attempting it.   Some people get a thrill/kick out of setting up people and stirring the pot, not because they really have done it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In addition

As soon as you board you can use D ,D+ P coupons at any open bar, they just take your cabin number. (No room card, no problem)

Just ask to apply your relative coupon and they can reduce your remaining balance quite happily.

We did this recently and was a nice way to get some adult refreshments flowing 🍹 

P.S we had zero coupons left by dinner time, but hey what the heck 😎

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I would  hope a bar tender would NEVER allow an alcoholic drink be put on a  child’s sea pass card.  And to bribe a bartender to do so is sad.   Crew need their job and can’t afford a bad survey response because they didn’t break the rules  and serve a minor some alcohol. 

No problem to use a minors 4 daily  drinks for soft drinks,  smoothies etc. 

m

I think people that go THIS FAR might need counseling.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Thats great news. I knew there was a reason we bring our three children cruising. 

Unfortunately it’s not true. The computer system won’t even allow a bartender to charge an alcoholic drink to a passenger under the age of 21. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Unfortunately it’s not true. The computer system won’t even allow a bartender to charge an alcoholic drink to a passenger under the age of 21. 

An enterprising bartender can swipe a rum and coke as a coke

John, who has no minor children and doesn't have a pony in this show

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I definitely agree but not sure a bartender is going to risk losing his job over giving away alcoholic drinks for ‘free”. There are easier ways to help passengers like very heavy pours, refilling a half empty drink, etc. 

From a different perspective, it maybe legal.  Yes, it is not legal to provide alcohol to minors.  HOWEVER, I have not seen any language that says the benefit is not transferable unlike the DBP which specifically prohibits sharing.  As a normal Diamond member, I can get a drink off my voucher and give it to someone non-diamond and there is nothing prohibiting me from doing so, but *I* could be in trouble if i give that drink to someone underaged.  There is no language that says a minor using the benefit and transfers it to an adult if it is made clear to the bartender that the beverage is intended for an adult.  The bartender never actually serves the minor, but the minor is using their tier benefit of "4/5/6 drink voucher"

Seems like a good opportunity to remind everyone that they should tip for the coupon drink.  Same labor involved to bring you the freebie as the paid for drink.  They work for tips, remember.  Your decision about how much, but it seems the right thing to do for the bar staff.......................

• Like 4

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

As for your son's status, most people report being able to use a child's D vouchers for adult beverages, but once in a while it has not been allowed

I was 0 for 2 in using my kids vouchers in February snd March.  Multiple bartenders on Indy snd Symphony said no. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

But what Royal Caribbean giveth, so Royal Caribbean can take away.

Why try to bend/break the rules ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, pcur said:

Seems like a good opportunity to remind everyone that they should tip for the coupon drink.  Same labor involved to bring you the freebie as the paid for drink.  They work for tips, remember.  Your decision about how much, but it seems the right thing to do for the bar staff.......................

Someone ( @twangster ? ) posted that a "tip" is automatically given to the staff for the voucher drinks.  But a cash tip is always welcome.

Edited by Another_Critic

26 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

From a different perspective, it maybe legal.  Yes, it is not legal to provide alcohol to minors.  HOWEVER, I have not seen any language that says the benefit is not transferable unlike the DBP which specifically prohibits sharing.  As a normal Diamond member, I can get a drink off my voucher and give it to someone non-diamond and there is nothing prohibiting me from doing so, but *I* could be in trouble if i give that drink to someone underaged.  There is no language that says a minor using the benefit and transfers it to an adult if it is made clear to the bartender that the beverage is intended for an adult.  The bartender never actually serves the minor, but the minor is using their tier benefit of "4/5/6 drink voucher"

You don’t transfer your Diamond benefit to someone else.  You use it, and if you want to give away what you received, that is up to you.  But under 21

diamonds don’t get alcoholic beverages as part of their benefit.  So that can’t order a beer and give it to you.  Seems pretty clear that you can’t get alcoholic drinks off a kids Diamond benefits.  I wondered this in the past based on prior comments I’ve read, but just imagine the liability issues if this was the norm.  

• Like 1