Watch Out for New Automatic Service Charges

422Melissa

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

i also noticed they are also charging some kind of state tax on bottled water and other things if you want it delivered to your cabin on the first 1st day. When i ordered the bottled water for my cruise in about 9 days, i noticed i can save some money if i change the delivery date to the 2nd day

Mmmm … I didn’t even think to look at different prices for the water (on a 2nd day delivery).  
Would you mind sharing the price difference? I order the 12 bottles.

Thanks,

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

2 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

at least you are still going to cruise with Carnival. As time goes on you'll forget about this or your stance will soften and you'll have a great time.🙂

Oh, I will still have a great time, you're right.  I just don't enjoy surprises like that.  I'd rather just pay $18 per coffee mug as opposed to paying $15 plus a mandatory $3.00 service fee that wasn't disclosed until the item was already purchased.  🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Mmmm … I didn’t even think to look at different prices for the water (on a 2nd day delivery).  
Would you mind sharing the price difference? I order the 12 bottles.

Thanks,

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

the difference was just the added extra sales taxes.its about a 3 dollar difference

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

Ya, I looked on the tv, and I was going to check out the printout that was suppposed to be delivered, but we were in a hurry off the ship, wanted to beat the crowd. We didn’t notice the printout in our mailbox in the morning, so probably our mistake. I just wanted to see it printed out. One of the most confusing things, and I don’t know if carnival does it this way because I pay upfront, is the daily service fee they charge everyday, not a one time charge. I did go question what that was…. And there were charges, credits, then charges again. It was really confusing and some made no sense. 

since they restarted cruising last year i noticed NCL no longer puts the statement in your mailbox by the door. Instead, your final statement is emailed to you using the email address they have on file. Depending on your email provider this email sometimes gets stuck in your junk/email folder.

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It's not brand new. It was around for at least part of last year.

If you want nuts, Royal charges a gratuity on top of the service charge for room service. Celebrity adds a gratuity to the price you pay for specialty restaurants. NCL charges a gratuity on their "free" beverage packages.

You already know the solution. Pay it or don't purchase.

I was charged the service charge when buying a refillable coffee mug from the coffee bar way before covid. I didnt want to fill it up, i just liked the carnival coffee mug. Its  ot the same as buying from the store because you used to be able to bring it back for coffee refills. Not free refills. This is not new since covid. 

I've also mentioned that the fish place has a auto gratuity added to purchases. I bought lobster rolls twice and the guy ringing it up is unable to remove it. I had those $15 dinner coupons i bought and the rolls were $12 but the 18% is added weirdly to the $15. Adding a $4 bowl of soup it went even more wacky and charged me over $18. This is a issue i posted about several times .. carnival knows and wouldnt fix it. I talked to the hotel director onboard. 

Anyway ... the coffee mug from the coffee bar has always had the 18% added. Not new since covid. Because it can be refilled at the coffee bar. 

10 hours ago, ray98 said:

LOL....people get so caught up in marketing.  Yes, one cruise line charges you for everything and tries to make their base fare always look the cheapest.  One gives you everything under the sun included but the price for the cabin is always way higher.

It is what it is.  Look at the final price, nothing else.  Don't let marketing terms like free, bonus, limited time or upgrade ruin your day.

You're wasting your time. It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled.

8 hours ago, 422Melissa said:

Oh, I will still have a great time, you're right.  I just don't enjoy surprises like that.  I'd rather just pay $18 per coffee mug as opposed to paying $15 plus a mandatory $3.00 service fee that wasn't disclosed until the item was already purchased.  🙂 

You have to sign for the charge right? At that time either say no thanks or get it.

It's not from the store, it's a refillable coffee mug you can use again at the coffee bar. That's why the service charge. I understood and still bought it. Pre covid.

The fish place said it was a mandatory tip and told me before they rang up my order. I paid $15 coupons plus the 18% for $12 lobster rolls X 2 back last sept on vista. Didnt like it and complained at guest services. They just called the hotel director as even they cant explain why a $15 dinner coupon didnt cover a $12 lobster roll. I bought the $38 and the $70 3 dinner coupons for 6 nights.

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If you want nuts, Royal charges a gratuity on top of the service charge for room service. Celebrity adds a gratuity to the price you pay for specialty restaurants. NCL charges a gratuity on their "free" beverage packages.

the bonsai sushi place also has a mandatory tip added. I guess people werent tipping.

Besides the seafood place. 

Agree if you object to a mandatory tip dont eat either place. I think the other places people are more apt to tip even a higher percentage so it's not auto added.

Coffee is a service .. hence the coffee cups which can be bought with or without coffee in them. I bought one years ago and remember the auto gratuity. 

Just a new complaint .. not a new charge. 

I have no problem with gratuities. It’s the service charges I complain about. They’re a hidden price hike.

Actually, I do have a problem with one gratuity - the one charged at the PYOB station. Who gets that 18%?

We sailed out of Mobile in April. We went to the Atrium Bar and picked up our free bottles of water. On our bill the water was free, $0.00 charge. The city of Mobile charge a $.40 tax on each bottle of water. The city assigned a tax value to the water. My wife complained along with a lot of other people and Carnival reversed the charge. To avoid the tax, we were told to wait until the ship entered the Gulf to avoid the city tax in the future on the free water.

Edited by ledges1
Complete sentence.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 422Melissa said:

I hear you.  I also understand Firefly's explanation for why the "gratuity" on the coffee mug.  The explanation makes sense.  If a person buys the mug in a box, with the intent of having a gift for someone at home or a keepsake- the gratuity would seem to be a scam.  If you buy it for use on the ship- the gratuity wouldn't be a surprise.  Since I don't really buy much on the ship itself, I probably would have been surprised/amused by the gratuity added to something I considered a souvenir.  

The first few cruises we had teenage kids with us and I watched the charges like a hawk. Partially because we cruised on a very VERY tight budget back then, but also because I didn't want my kids getting up to stuff. 😅   I confess when my husband I cruise these days that I only scrutinize my charges at the end, if the total looks much larger than I expected.    Rarely happens.  

I do notice the gratuity charges when I order a drink or on room service, but only to the extent I decide if I am adding an additional gratuity or not.  

Those of you describing all the extra charges on Norwegian are making me grind my teeth.  I haven't cruised with them.  I am open to cruising with any cruise line I consider a good deal, but I would be stressed by having extra charges pile up that I wasn't aware of ahead of time.

20 hours ago, 422Melissa said:

I searched the forums but didn't see any threads about this.  We just came back from the 6/4 Magic sailing.  Carnival has started adding surprise 18% "Service Charges" to things such as coffee mug purchases from the coffee bar and food purchased at the Seafood Shack.  Last year, two orders of lobster rolls were $24, and this year we paid $35.40 for smaller portions.  The service charge is automatically added to your purchase and is separate from the optional gratuity line on your receipt.  I went to Guest Services to have the charge removed from the coffee mugs, but my account was never adjusted as promised.  Did I miss an announcement about this?  It really left a bad impression, and I am unlikely to purchase extra items on future cruises.    

I hate, hate, hate all the gratuity add ons. Why not just sell at the final cost. Let's say the mug is $5.00 and then 18% gratuity. Just sell it at $5.90 and give the customer the correct TOTAL price you will pay for the item. We would really like that. How about you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I hate, hate, hate all the gratuity add ons. Why not just sell at the final cost. Let's say the mug is $5.00 and then 18% gratuity. Just sell it at $5.90 and give the customer the correct TOTAL price you will pay for the item. We would really like that. How about you?

Is there no sales tax in the state of Florida? Having merchandise priced on the shelf as the pre-sales tax price is the norm here where we live and I imagine in most of the USA.

19 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

To most people, I think Free means Free. At least it should.

462422-June-Pulse_1_Fleet_Full_Horizonta

To NCL, free means the tips you would have had added if you drank to the maximum allowed under the drink package. The same goes for free alternative restaurants. And free excursions is only up to $50 for the first person, in other words only free if $50 or less.

49 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Is there no sales tax in the state of Florida? Having merchandise priced on the shelf as the pre-sales tax price is the norm here where we live and I imagine in most of the USA.

Florida Sales tax if you are in port.

23 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

What? I thought only Carnival ever does anything less than delightful!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They still aren't as bad a FeeStyle cruising. 🙃

Yes NCL has thus far eluded us and I don’t feel particularly drawn to try them out, though I have learned to never say never. 🤷‍♀️ I do like the total elimination of any sort of attire suggestions across the board.

I googled the topic. As I said I know I've bought this cup, bet it's the same. And yes they added the 18% tips. Old threads .. one said the cup was 9.95 empty plus $2 for a refill. I thought they were great. Am I the only one who used to love these coffee mugs from the coffee shop deal?

51 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Yes NCL has thus far eluded us and I don’t feel particularly drawn to try them out, though I have learned to never say never. 🤷‍♀️ I do like the total elimination of any sort of attire suggestions across the board.

Sounds like......naked dining?🤣

• Haha 3

First, in terms of NCL, what they charge for a beverage package (the gratuity) is still far less than carnival charges. At the end of the day you just have to compare apples to apples and see which one is better

We had an unexpected service charge on celebrity. We had several sea days and purchased a spin class package at the gym! I get that there is a ‘service’ provided; but no gym I’ve ever been to expects you to tip the instructors!

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

First, in terms of NCL, what they charge for a beverage package (the gratuity) is still far less than carnival charges. At the end of the day you just have to compare apples to apples and see which one is better

We had an unexpected service charge on celebrity. We had several sea days and purchased a spin class package at the gym! I get that there is a ‘service’ provided; but no gym I’ve ever been to expects you to tip the instructors!

I was just checking out NCL after reading this and found the following:

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program.

Seems a little harsh. Don't know if they enforce all this.

10 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I was just checking out NCL after reading this and found the following:

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program.

Seems a little harsh. Don't know if they enforce all this.

Huh?  What if your kids don't drink soda?  That seems extreme...