Almost Live from The DAWN, Barcelona round trip

Lois R

Hi Lola, the only issues I had was after arriving at Heathrow. VERY confusing and nobody to help. Didn't know you had to through security before going to the gate and the train was full so had to walk a long way then go back to the gate. It all seemed backwards but I made it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can only apologise for our principal airport in this country, which everyone hates.  It is particularly bad at present, with a huge shortage of staff after many having to leave over the past couple of years

If you got your luggage, as I guess you did, you were very lucky!  There is a huge heap of bags  hanging around, as there is a shortage of people to unload it from planes and get it on to the carousels.  I have had fairly bad experiences in JFK and Miami (especially Miami) but nothing worse than Heathrow at present.

Lola

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, just had my Covid test and all negative😀. So now it is just a waiting game. Bus for the ship leaves at 2.

Glad you are nearly ready to be boarding the Silversea ship.  Is it docked right there in the close, main Barcelona port near the historic downtown?  Wasn't sure if the Silver Dawn was docked close or at a port farther away?  Look forward to any and all details from the ship and your ports.  What locations will your sailing be visiting?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry, I stayed at The Hotel Majestic and it was about a 25 minute bus ride to the ship.

We go to Valencia, Cadiz, Malaga, Cartegena, Palma de Mallorca, Porto Mahan, Gibraltar and Tangier.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Hi @Lois R! I’m late to your sail-away party, but wishing you a great cruise! We’ll follow along! 

Thanks, hope you both are doing well😀

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, I stayed at The Hotel Majestic and it was about a 25 minute bus ride to the ship.

We go to Valencia, Cadiz, Malaga, Cartegena, Palma de Mallorca, Porto Mahan, Gibraltar and Tangier.

Appreciate this great and quick follow-up.  Wonderful, exciting itinerary!!!  We have not visited any of these locations and look forward to reading all of your details, loves, highlights!!  Safe boarding and sail-away. 

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Have a great cruise Lois. We are doing a similar itinerary next month on a different cruise line. I will be interested to hear your impressions. Are you taking Silversea excursions in each port? We are doing our own excursions.

Julie

For the first time in 20 years of cruising I have some unfortunate news. Not life threatening but quite painful. I seem to have pulled /tore a muscle in my right calf and basically cannot put any weight on the right leg. The Dr and nurse came to the suite(both extremely nice) and gave me a shot for pain but I have to into Valencia to their medical center for an ultrasound to see that tear. They can't do it on the ship. Never had anything like this before, although I do get leg cramps but this was no cramp. I actually heard a pop and then couldn't walk

This was in the middle of the night coming back to bed from the bathroom and wasn't sure how was going to make it back to bed. Finally did. 

So that is how my first full day is starting out.

42 minutes ago, Lois R said:

For the first time in 20 years of cruising I have some unfortunate news. Not life threatening but quite painful. I seem to have pulled /tore a muscle in my right calf and basically cannot put any weight on the right leg. The Dr and nurse came to the suite(both extremely nice) and gave me a shot for pain but I have to into Valencia to their medical center for an ultrasound to see that tear. They can't do it on the ship. Never had anything like this before, although I do get leg cramps but this was no cramp. I actually heard a pop and then couldn't walk

This was in the middle of the night coming back to bed from the bathroom and wasn't sure how was going to make it back to bed. Finally did. 

Hope you will get better soon!

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

For the first time in 20 years of cruising I have some unfortunate news. Not life threatening but quite painful. I seem to have pulled /tore a muscle in my right calf and basically cannot put any weight on the right leg.  I have to into Valencia to their medical center for an ultrasound to see that tear.  So that is how my first full day is starting out.

Sorry to hear.  WOW!!  Very challenging and not good timing as you are only starting this adventure.  Keep us posted!  Hope you have good travel insurance for this trip as you might need to evaluate your options as to whether to return home early, how, etc.  Good luck!!

Hi, back from the hospital and it is a tear and bruise. The ship has crutches and cane. I am trying one crutch so at least I can walk on my own but I cannot put full weight on the right leg. But no reason to go home early. The folks at the hospital were nice and had one gal who was like a liason between the ship's port agent and hospital who spoke perfect English. She helped me a lot. So at this point I am definitely not doing any walking tours. And trying to get some sort of stool to sit on in the shower. But at least it was not a blood clot in the leg as those can be deadly. So I am at the grill with my right leg up on a chair having a Mudslide and Ceasar salad.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, back from the hospital and it is a tear and bruise. The ship has crutches and cane. I am trying one crutch so at least I can walk on my own but I cannot put full weight on the right leg. But no reason to go home early. 

Encouraging update.  Glad that you do have to return home early.  Keep plugging and love being pampered by the Silversea staff.  Make the best of a challenged circumstance.  

Lois, so sorry to hear about the leg problems.  I hope that you are able to enjoy your cruise, even if you are not able to tour as much as you would like to.  Hopefully in a few days it will heal enough for you to get around better.  Take care of yourself and don't overdo it.  It is too bad as you have some great walking ports in your itinerary.  I loved wandering around Tangiers, so hopefully by the end of the cruise you will be able to enjoy it more.  

35 minutes ago, Lois R said:

So I am at the grill with my right leg up on a chair having a Mudslide and Ceasar salad.

Lois,

All things considered, please have two!  Hope all goes well and you still have a fabulous cruise.

• Like 1

Poor you Lois especially after making it through all that Covid testing!🤣! Pleased to hear that you had good health care on both the Dawn and onshore.  You seem to be making the best of it by going to the Grill and not sitting in your stateroom.   Make sure you take good  care of yourself.   I am sure you will start to feel better in a few days with a bit of pampering on that beautiful ship.  

Edited by Cancun01

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Oh No 😟. I hope some sort of massage or something can help it heal quickly and you aren't in pain. Though maybe some cocktails from the SALT Bar will help 🤔.