Almost Live from The DAWN, Barcelona round trip

Lois R

I am not sure who posted about the spa but to that person, Thank you. There are 10 loungers out here and today I am using one. The pool is quite crowded and I have no desire to try and find a spot out there. This is PERFECT. So thank you again:classic_smile:

I was in the Arts Cafe for a couple of hours first. I do love that venue.

• Like 2

One thing about SS that, I hope, most would agree upon is the willingness of the staff to do their damndest to please the customer. They are SS's single most important asset. Good to hear from Lois that they are giving her all the assistance she needs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, today is Wed and it was the first time in about 3 days I felt "normal". Still cannot put full weight on the leg but at least was able to eat 3 meals today.

Tomorrow is packing and I will definitely be giving extra $$$$ to the crew fund this trip. They made the biggest difference EVER for me. 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, today is Wed and it was the first time in about 3 days I felt "normal". Still cannot put full weight on the leg but at least was able to eat 3 meals today.  Tomorrow is packing and I will definitely be giving extra $$$$ to the crew fund this trip. They made the biggest difference EVER for me. 

Encouraging news under challenging circumstances.  Glad the "dining desires" are improving with doing three meals.  Keep us posted as to your continued progress.   Safe travels home!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Hi, last day, all packed. I hope my flights go on as scheduled but these days one never knows. Glad to be in Business Class and having wheelchair assistance.  That should definitely help.

I sat down and wrote a letter to the Hotel Director today. Given what I experienced I wanted to make sure Management knows how far, above and beyond the service went for me. They made the most difference of any cruise I have sailed and I hope they are recognized/rewarded for it.

I don't mean to sound melodramatic about it, but this was more than a challenging cruise for me. I am so used to doing everything on my own. Asking for help is not always easy but you do what you have to do.

Anyway, one last afternoon at the pool.

• Like 15

Port Mahon is lovely, Lois, even to look at from the ship, as is the sailaway.  I hope you are going to be out on deck or on your balcony for the views.

Very best wishes for your homeward journey,

Lola

• Like 1

Lois, I am so sorry about the health issue that did not allow you to maximize enjoyment of your voyage.  

Hopefully you will get in to see your regular doctor or oncologist ASAP after arrival for re-review of your diagnosis, *in the context of all your prior health background*, (i.e., don't rely on just what you were told when you first got symptoms and had a local medic see you, but get a fresh, informed opinion) and to likely get monitored, appropriate, and targeted  physical therapy going to speed your recovery.  

I have been in your situation and it is not fun, to say the least.

Safe return, and hang  on tight when the guys who push the wheelchairs at airports  take a corner :).

Hi, Cat Lover, first call Monday morning is to my PCP and hoping he can see me quickly. 

Ate in Atlantide tonight with several other solo guests. Nice way to end the cruise.

• Like 1

Wishing you a safe and (hopefully) stress-free journey home, Lois. So glad that the amazing SS crew took such good care of you on this trip even though it was far from what you expected.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who suggested the wheelchair access. It has worked great so far. I had a car at the port waiting for me and a very nice driver. He got me here in less than 30 minutes. He was nice enough to come inside the airport with me as well. Once I got on the right line, he then departed. The lady behind the Ticket counter is the person who got the wheelchair process going. They seem to have pretty efficient process. I am now sitting at the gate. Oh, another kudos to The Hotel Director. He offered to give me a cane and I gave him back the crutch. But the cane will work to at least help me till I can fully heal, around the house, etc. That was so kind of him. So hopefully the connections will go as smoothly as this first flight.

• Like 11

Here is a shocker (not) my flight from Barcelona was ready to go and then we were delayed 1 hour because of an issue with someone's luggage. My connection at AMS was one hour. Talk about cutting it close. OMG with the wheelchair assistance I was 5 minutes from the doors closing. The flight attendants on KLM were awesome though😀

So now I am sitting at JFK but they changed the gate 3 times already. So not sure what time the flight is even leaving.

• Like 2

Just now, Lois R said:

Here is a shocker (not) my flight from Barcelona was ready to go and then we were delayed 1 hour because of an issue with someone's luggage. My connection at AMS was one hour. Talk about cutting it close. OMG with the wheelchair assistance I was 5 minutes from the doors closing. The flight attendants on KLM were awesome though😀

So now I am sitting at JFK but they changed the gate 3 times already. 

Wow!  Nothing like having an adventure on your way home!  Hopefully you are sitting at JFK with a wheelchair handy...

8 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Wow—an adventure you didn’t need! Hope the rest of your journey home is better!

I have not flown in or out of JFK in years. Delta is a mess over here, delay delay, delay.

I just got off the phone with my Silversea Rep and he told me they've been handling non-stop issues with cancelled flights (mainly SAS) but also others, for the last few days.   He said all of his clients are having flight issues, no matter the destination.  Its a terrible time to be flying right now.  I hope you get home safe and well Lois. 

I actually made it home about 11:00pm..........flight from JFK was delayed of course. 

Will do a wrap up over the weekend.

• Like 13

Lois- I just started reading this post since we just booked a trip next year on the Dawn and can’t tell you how sorry I was to see that you suffered that injury and thus put a damper on your cruise experience as well as your return home. I’m glad you made it home safely and hope you recover soon especially in time for your next cruise. 

thanks again for taking the time (as always) to keep your fellow cruise critic members informed and providing helpful feedback about your experience. 

take care 

liz

Edited by bobolz

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

I actually made it home about 11:00pm..........flight from JFK was delayed of course. Will do a wrap up over the weekend.

YES!!  Glad to hear you made it home.  Somewhat safe and mostly, kind of, sound.  Agree with J.P.  We look forward to your wrap-up summary, added details, feed-back from your fellow passengers, insights about Silversea, etc.  Rest-up!!   From your vacation.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio