Short walk

Mexicat60

6 minutes ago, Mexicat60 said:

What destinations have short walks from ship to land? 

Welcome to cruise critic :).  Your question is not very clear.  Any ship that docks has a very short (sometimes the length of the gangplank) to get to the pier (i.e. land).   Also keep in mind that there are hundreds of ports (all over the world) that are visited by cruise ships and each port has a unique layout.  Some are in cities, some are in small towns, some are commercial ports, some are sophisticated cruise ship ports, etc.  

If your concern is walking distance you might consider that some cruise ships are over 1000 feet long.  So just walking from one place to another on a ship can involve long strolls.

If you have questions about specific ports than many of us can help :).

Hank

• Like 3

Thanks. I only cruise on midsize ships I have taken 16 cruises. At 75 I now have less energy and find long walks from gangplank to mainland undooable , like several in maya rivera. I need western Mediterranean and Carribean any help appreciated.

54 minutes ago, Mexicat60 said:

Thanks. I only cruise on midsize ships I have taken 16 cruises. At 75 I now have less energy and find long walks from gangplank to mainland undooable , like several in maya rivera. I need western Mediterranean and Carribean any help appreciated.

Well, you won't like Barcelona, Mallorca or Monaco, although Monaco is the best of those 3, whether you dock or tender.

1 hour ago, Mexicat60 said:

I'm assuming a tender and port shuttle bus is OK.  Either way, this is likely to be a very long list.

A good example of a places where you walk right into town is Cartagena Sp or Rhodes.  On the other hand, Amsterdam might be too far to walk, but you can step on a canal boat tour right there.  In almost every place, you can get a bus tour that will pick you right up from the pier and bring you back.   

Edit:  Just realized my examples, other than Rhodes, are not in Med.  Oops.  

Edited by ldubs

Civtavecchia usually has a shuttle bus to port gate.  Naples is right there...Malaga is a bit of a walk.  Malta can be a walk, too.  Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  You might not need it for the touring info, but he will tell you what the port pier is like.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

They are all about the same which is the length of the gangplank - maybe 20 or 30 ft.  If you mean something else - repost with a clearer question and at least restrict your possible destinations to a specific continent.  As written - your question cannot be answered.

DON

Have a look at the whatsinport website. Besides describing the usual tourist sites,  it usually has a decent description of the port itself, and I've seen some ports where they mention golf cart type assistance to the end of some particularly long piers.

However if walking the length of a pier is too much, it might be time to consider the use of a scooter.

• Like 1

Unless you are at a tender port, every port offers a short walk to the land: perhaps 40 or 50 feet worth of gangplank.    Some  ports require long  rides to get to anything worth experiencing:  Civita Vecchia (for Rome), Livorno (for Florence)  and Piraeus (for Athens)   come to mind.  

On the other hand, When you get off the ship at Lisbon, San Juan, Naples or Madrid - you are right there.  St. George, at the east end of Bermuda, is also good, but only small ships all there.

Edited by navybankerteacher

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Unless you are at a tender port, every port offers a short walk to the land: perhaps 40 or 50 feet worth of gangplank.    

How often does a gang plank let you off on dry land on the islands? Or even on some continental ports? There are many places where the gangway lands you onto a pier, which can be a lot more than 40-50 feet to dry land. The furthest docking point in Barbados is half a mile of pier before you touch dry soil. Costa Maya is 0.4 miles. Nassau as much as 0.3 miles. I could go on. Those with mobility or endurance limits are right to consider these factors. However, it would have helped a lot if the OP had narrowed his question more.

OP, you can check distances on Google Maps. Bring up a Sat image of the port in question. Tap on a spot where your ship may have its gangway ; a red dot should appear. Then select the measure distance option on the left side menu. Drag the open dot to see distance. Add extra dots to turn corners. It's easier than it looks in my clumsy description.

Just embarking or disembarking a ship anymore is arduous for those of us who have walking issues.  The "back and forth and back and forth" way that the gangways are built lead to issues that many won't experience.  Not so with me anymore.  And, I am darn sure that I am not alone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

How often does a gang plank let you off on dry land on the islands? Or even on some continental ports? There are many places where the gangway lands you onto a pier, which can be a lot more than 40-50 feet to dry land. ...

I mentioned Lisbon, San Juan, Naples and Madrid -- where about 100 feet from the ship puts you in a place of interest.  I think that is what OP was talking about. 

If we are talking about SEVERELY limited mobility, there is no possibility of being in the middle of an interesting port within twelve paces from the ship.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Just embarking or disembarking a ship anymore is arduous for those of us who have walking issues.  The "back and forth and back and forth" way that the gangways are built lead to issues that many won't experience.  Not so with me anymore.  And, I am darn sure that I am not alone!

The “back and forth and back and forth” you are referring to sounds like what is sometimes seen at major embarkation/debarkation ports - but very rarely at ports of call.  And OP was talking about “destinations”, which I would take to mean ports of call.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

They are all about the same which is the length of the gangplank - maybe 20 or 30 ft.  If you mean something else - repost with a clearer question and at least restrict your possible destinations to a specific continent.  As written - your question cannot be answered.

DON

The OP provided that in #4.    

48 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I mentioned Lisbon, San Juan, Naples and Madrid -- where about 100 feet from the ship puts you in a place of interest.  I think that is what OP was talking about. 

If we are talking about SEVERELY limited mobility, there is no possibility of being in the middle of an interesting port within twelve paces from the ship.

I didn't see anywhere in the OPs post where he was asking about the distance from ship to the center of a port city or to where points of interest were. Nor any mention of 12 paces. He only asked for distances from ship to land. Perhaps the OP needs to clarify this.

46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I love Madrid.  It is truthfully one of my favorite cities in Europe.  But haven't found a cruise there yet.  😄

I think one workable solution for the OP is shuttles to city centers.  Another might be the "Easy" excursions.  I recall doing an Easy Naples.  It was a bus tour of the city with short stops for photo opportunities.  And, a stop for gelato. Seems it was 2.5 to 3 hours.  

8 minutes ago, mom says said:

I didn't see anywhere in the OPs post where he was asking about the distance from ship to the center of a port city or to where points of interest were. Nor any mention of 12 paces. He only asked for distances from ship to land. Perhaps the OP needs to clarify this.

I also thought the OP was talking about walking into town and responded that way.  I reread post #4 and now am not sure.  Now I think they mean from the ship to firm ground -- perhaps to catch a tour, IDK.  Agree, clarification might help.  

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

I love Madrid.  It is truthfully one of my favorite cities in Europe.  But haven't found a cruise there yet.  😄

Same here — I entered Manaus , and that aggressive auto-correct got me.

I do not think any vessel much larger than a canoe could make a port call at Madrid.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Haha 3

Cartagena in Spain is quite easy, as you dock close to cafes and a modern museum; it's flat walking across from the port side straight into town.

The shuttle bus in Barcelona takes you to the square at the entrance to the famous Ramblas street. Same in Malaga- shuttle bus to the port entrance, and across the road into the city.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, Mexicat60 said:

How much can you walk? If the walk from the gangplank to the piers/port is too much, you may not have the physical ability to get to shuttles,  taxis, etc.